sore throat and fever - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-19-2007, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is 4 yrs-old and has a bad sore throat and 101.5 fever -- has had this all day and is sleeping now but still has it. Conventional dr suggests doing a strep culture tomorrow and prescribe antibiotics (she's never had those before) -- Haven't heard back yet from ND. (Yes, we're doing lots of echinacea and many other things)

Could it be viral? If it is strep, are antibiotics the only way to go? Also, I have a 2-yr-old (with no symptoms) and I'm 8 mos pregnant, so I'm a little concerned.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2007, 02:32 AM

hth!
Quote:
The main symptom of pharyngitis is a sore throat. In infectious pharyngitis, other symptoms vary depending on whether the infection is viral or bacterial (usually strep throat):

* Viral pharyngitis — Sore throat often occurs with the following symptoms: pain when swallowing; redness in the throat; runny nose; stuffy nose; cough; hoarseness; redness of the eyes; and, in children, diarrhea. In some cases, there can be a painful redness around the mouth or small painful sores on the lips and inside the mouth.

* Strep throat — With strep throat and other forms of bacterial pharyngitis, sore throat can be accompanied by any of the following symptoms: fever; pain when swallowing; a generally sick feeling (malaise); headache; redness and swelling in the throat; a coating on the tonsils or tongue; and swollen, tender lymph nodes (swollen glands) in the front of the neck. Children also can have nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain.

Because symptoms of viral and bacterial pharyngitis can overlap, it may be difficult for the doctor to distinguish between them based on symptoms alone. As a general rule, however, if you have a prominent cough and nasal symptoms you are more likely to have viral pharyngitis than strep throat.

we have had tremendous success with GSE and cayenne pepper gargle but with a 4 year old it might not be possible to get her to gargle with that stuff. do you have any gse on hand?
Old 04-19-2007, 02:32 AM

Here's an article I bookmarked on strep (just in case...we haven't been in that circumstance so I don't know what I would do!)
http://www.hpakids.org/holistic-heal...1/Sore-Throats

I would not do an antibiotic personally until I got a positive strep test. Even then...I just don't know (I've got a kiddo here with an ear infection going on day 7 of fevers and am hanging out here because I'm still unsure of what to do; generally I avoid antibiotics but as a parent you have to weigh all the risks). I think based on things I've read that even if it is positive for strep and even if I did decide to do an antibiotic I would wait some on it. That gives her body a chance to fight and even if you do the antibiotic eventually lessens the chance of re-current strep in my understanding (big risk..and remember also that if she cultures positive she may always culture positive whether the strep is active or not). I haven't researched strep and pregnancy-is there a specific risk to your baby?

As far as viral--does she have cold symptoms? That would make virus more likely the culprit. My understanding is the strep is often existing outside of other symptoms.
oops, cross posted with pp who gave you links to support!

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 04-19-2007, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks sbgrace and branwyn,

Luckily, this morning, she woke up with no fever, lots of happy energy, and a minimal sore throat. For future reference, the things we did were cod liver oil, oscillococcinum, echinacea with thymus in it, Standard Process Congoplex, elderberry extract, primal defense for kids, Standrad process catalyn, Garden of Life Perfect Food, organic popsicles (only when she wouldn't drink water), and I convinced her somehow to eat some homemade saurkraut.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaonthefarm View Post
Thanks sbgrace and branwyn,

Luckily, this morning, she woke up with no fever, lots of happy energy, and a minimal sore throat. For future reference, the things we did were cod liver oil, oscillococcinum, echinacea with thymus in it, Standard Process Congoplex, elderberry extract, primal defense for kids, Standrad process catalyn, Garden of Life Perfect Food, organic popsicles (only when she wouldn't drink water), and I convinced her somehow to eat some homemade saurkraut.

How many mothers would have started the child on abx just in case....

Heck, we never ever got a throat culture done because I knew I would not give my kids abx. All three were raised without abx until they went to college and thought they were smarter than mom. (One dd age 35 yo has never yet had abx.)
And we now have three abx-clean grandchildren.

User Tag List