burnt my finger with hot oil--scarring question added - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2007, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittynurse View Post
Wow, these are your friends? I'm so sorry, that really sucks. I wish I was closer so I could watch your kids for you. I can't believe that even in a tiny community a doctor wouldn't feel some sort of moral and professional obligation to at least look at your burn and say "go to the hospital". Heck, I'm only a veterinary technician but if one of my friends were injured I would never refuse to look at it.

I hope that the new gauze pads give you some relief. When I've treated wounds in the past I have given them a good soaking by holding them under a running tap with moderate spray. If you have one of those sprayers on your sink, that is even better.
thanks for your kind words. i soaked and soaked, under a pretty strong stream, and still had to sort of pull it off, slowly. OUCH!!! the new gauze seems so smooth and shiny, no way it would stick! i am so relieved. i had to pull the old gauze off 3 times, and i was on the verge of blacking out -- not that much from the pain, though it was bad too, but mostly from the tension and the stress...

i think doctors in this community really try not to maintain social ties with the patients, and i was friends with his wife, so we are sort of friends, but new friends. they did ask MY dh for legal advice, and he spoke to them right away, and reassured and offered more help if needed. then i joked and said that now i could ask HER dh about my foot--which wasn't even a 'treat me' question, but a general question about post-surgery damage, and she said i could make an appointment with them. so different standards, i guess. which IS kind of sad...but she went to the pharmacy for me when i could not do it, and i had no one else to ask, so i appreciate it.

ania
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2007, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
From what little I've gleaned from a new book that's out now about medical errors, one of the problems doctors can have is being Too Close to their patients. It's difficult to have to give bad news to a Friend, no? It's even more difficult I would guess to have to look for such bad news, so I can sort of see where your friends are coming from.

That's not how I'd handle it, not how a friend of mine who's a PA handles it, but, I can sort of understand. When you've got an intense job, you pretty much don't want to be continuing to do that job off the clock.

That said, if I were to have handled things that way back when I was medical, I surely wouldn't turn around and expect a lawyer to give advice off-the-clock.

If there's pain, then there're nerves, so that probably means the burn isn't horridly bad. That's the killer of those, the truly bad ones mostly don't hurt, while the relatively minor ones can hurt all out of proportion to their true seriousness.

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 04-28-2007, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

thanks. i'm more assured now that this is not terribly bad. i am lucky that it is all below the joint, i am sure it would have felt worse on the joint.

i do understand where he is coming from, not wanting to deal with anything medical when he is not working. but i do feel sad too, kind of abandoned, as he knew that with no one to leave the kids with and with one of them sick, and with the waiting time in the hospital likely to be hours, it would have been extraordinary difficult for me to go to see him or anyone else in the hospital, even if the burn was worse...oh well. thanks goodness the burn isn't worse, and now with the proper gauze i have a feeling it will start healing.

ania
Old 04-29-2007, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana View Post

oh, and if the pain is very minor, is it a good indication that the burn is not very serious? i hope so.

It doesn't necessarily mean the burn is not bad. A lot of the worst kinds of burns don't hurt at all because the nerves have been damaged.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
Old 04-29-2007, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

ugh. the non sticky gauze is sooooo sliperry. the burn is just above my nuckle, on my index finger. the pad rides up. i've tried everything. except masking tape. i will try masking tape now. and it IS starting to hurt. someone said above it hurts the most on day 3 and 4. it also looks much redder than before.

polysporin says to apply it 1-3 day. is it bad to apply more? i skipped one application, used only breastmilk.

oh, should i wash it? or bm is enough?

ania
Old 04-29-2007, 01:28 AM

i say get yourself to a DR immediately.
take your kids with you. Drs do understand that situation.
aslo if you have a mothers helper that comes over to play with your DD, why cant she babysit?! do you have neighbors? friends? your husband???
you need to be seen by a medical professional.
often if you can see the burn and it doesnt look good, but cant feel it it means its BAD.
go.
dont wait.
go.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
Old 04-29-2007, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddysMama View Post
i say get yourself to a DR immediately.
take your kids with you. Drs do understand that situation.
aslo if you have a mothers helper that comes over to play with your DD, why cant she babysit?! do you have neighbors? friends? your husband???
you need to be seen by a medical professional.
often if you can see the burn and it doesnt look good, but cant feel it it means its BAD.
go.
dont wait.
go.
but it is really small though. like the size of a penny. and i do feel throbbing sometimes, and this is when i change the dressings.

my mother's helper is 11. she won't handle two kids. we are new to this town, and my best friend here, the one who is the pharmacist and whose dh is an md, tossed the gauze to me and ran. everyone is so busy. dh is away on business, coming back friday or saturday. if i were more convinced that it was BAD, i'd go with the kids. but i'd feel silly going through all of this, and putting the kids through this, just to be told that it is a minor thing to go home and put polysporin on it...

it is not oozing or anything. it doesn't seem to be deep.it is angry red, but i have been abusing it for 3 days with the sticky gauze. and it is sensitive to touch, it is not like i lost all the sensations there.

gosh, i wish it were easier. thank you so much for your concern. so appreciated.

ania
Old 04-29-2007, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana View Post
ugh. the non sticky gauze is sooooo sliperry. the burn is just above my nuckle, on my index finger. the pad rides up. i've tried everything. except masking tape. i will try masking tape now. and it IS starting to hurt. someone said above it hurts the most on day 3 and 4. it also looks much redder than before.

polysporin says to apply it 1-3 day. is it bad to apply more? i skipped one application, used only breastmilk.

oh, should i wash it? or bm is enough?

ania
Can you get yourself some Telfa or a dressing pad - rather than gauze? You should apply the Telfa to the wound (it's a non stick pad) and then cover the Telfa with gauze and tape it in place if it slides around.

Hope you heal quickly! I had a second degree 4 by 2 inch burn on my forearm (arm touched the over door when reaching inside) and it healed quickly with Lansinoh lanolin. You know, the kind meant for breastfeeding mother's nipples? I didn't apply it till the next day so the lanolin wouldn't trap in the heat of the burn, but it worked well.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancta View Post
Can you get yourself some Telfa or a dressing pad - rather than gauze? You should apply the Telfa to the wound (it's a non stick pad) and then cover the Telfa with gauze and tape it in place if it slides around.

Hope you heal quickly! I had a second degree 4 by 2 inch burn on my forearm (arm touched the over door when reaching inside) and it healed quickly with Lansinoh lanolin. You know, the kind meant for breastfeeding mother's nipples? I didn't apply it till the next day so the lanolin wouldn't trap in the heat of the burn, but it worked well.
this is what i got today, telfa. i guess i kept calling it non stick gauze.

i do have lanolin. it is long expired, but we still use it for dd's lips sometimes, and recently on my itchy nipples. i wonder if it go bad?

ouch, you had such a huge burn, compared to mine.

i find that in order to keep the pad from moving the gauze around it has to be pretty tight, and this is aggrevating too. right now ds woke up (3AM!! i wnet to bed at midnight.) and i feel it is throbing, despite being only 3h since i dressed it. i will try to keep it open tomorrow...sigh. such a little thing, seemingly, and so much trouble.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:42 AM

I got a bad burn on my arm a few months ago. I put it in cold water for a while right away. Then, I patted it dry and put on aloe and put on a bandage. Well, the next day, when I went to change the bandage, it was stuck. There was no way I was getting it off that wound. So, I took scissors and cut around it, leaving the stuck layer of gauze just where the wound was. I took away as much as I could without pulling it out of the wound. Then, I just put on more aloe and another bandage on top. Eventually, it healed from underneath and scabbed up and finally the scab (with layers of gauze embedded in it) fell off all at once.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momto l&a View Post
Honey is fine to put on open burn wounds. Studies have shown that burns treated with honey heal faster.
http://www.burnsurvivorsttw.org/honey1.html
http://www.jr2.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/bo...at/honey2.html
FWIW, I totally agree with momto l&a. Just make sure the honey is raw and unheated.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 04-30-2007, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

question re scarring. i think it is healing. i spent the whole day airing it out. but the loose skin that i assumed would dry out and fall off, is now imbedded in the burn area, and is all bunched up and bumpy, and i can't see how it will go away. i think this will become my scar, right? i am not vain, but it looks like it will look pretty ugly. i am also worried abut the skin being too tight and restricting my finger movement.

yesterday i was squirting with breastmilk, so maybe it dried it out? today i put neosporin again, as it says it minimizes scarring.

can something be done about it at this point? it is definitely healing.

thank you for your support, everybody.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
i am also worried abut the skin being too tight and restricting my finger movement.
Use it. Don't favor it by not using that hand. Let it stretch as you do things. Do extra bending even.

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 05-01-2007, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uccomama View Post
FWIW, I totally agree with momto l&a. Just make sure the honey is raw and unheated.
I third, or er fourth the recommendation for honey. Honestly, there are so many recommendations on this thread, but even if you can't get any for this wound, I would recommend a jar of raw honey in every house for wounds in general. I remember reading about doctors packing raw honey around wounds that are stubborn and won't heal. I also read they are awesome for burns.

The first time I used it was when I got a bad steam burn on my arm. This burn was about the size of a 50 cent piece. Even though I rinsed it in cold water right away and put ice on it, it wouldn't stop throbbing. I tried aloe and other things but it kept throbbing. It was starting to look "wet" like it would peel and get blistery and wouldn't stop hurting. Finally, remembering what I read, I smeared a bunch of honey over the area and for lack of things to cover it up, I saran wrapped my arm. It was a gooey mess under there but within a few minutes, my arm stopped hurting. I wore the saran wrap the whole evening and rinsed off the honey before bed. The bright redness had subsided a bit, no blisters had formed, and it no longer throbbed. I went to bed with it uncovered and the next day it was turning brown and wasn't hurting anymore. I've been using honey ever since as a wound dressing and my wounds seem to heal much faster than ever.

User Tag List