burnt my finger with hot oil--scarring question added - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-27-2007, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
earlier today i splashed some very hot, close to boiling, oil on my hand while cooking, and have an area the size of a penny where the skin is completely gone. i only have polysporin / neosporin or something. i applied it right away, then lightly covered with gauze.

tonight i felt throbbing pain, so i thought maybe i needed to change the bandage, and it was stuck to my skin (lack thereof) and i managed to remove it while holding my finger under cold water. the dead skin is all bunched up on one side.

i put more polysporin, and put another gauze pad, but i am so worried it will get infected, as it will get stuck again, and how do i remove that?

how would you care for a burn like this? is this something i need to go to a dr for?

(i don't have access to homeopathic remedies, and the only way for me to see a dr would require a wait of 2-3 hours with the kids in the er)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2007, 02:43 AM

That sounds so painful! I'm so sorry!

The only thing I can think of is to wash it gently with soap and water, then apply a gel burn bandage to it. You can get some at the drug store--it's basically a sheet of some kind of gel that you apply directly to the burn. It cools it and keeps it moist and protected. And just keep an eye on it. If it seems to get worse, I'd go see a doctor. Often the minor emergency clinics have a shorter waiting time, especially in the mornings.

peace, Beth
Old 04-27-2007, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

thanks. this gel burn bandage would not stick, right? i am going to the pharmacy tomorrow.

we are in a small town up north, we only have one place to go -- the hospital. whenever i went, the wait was brutal, and dh is leaving for a week tomorrow so no one to leave the kids with.

i hope the pharmacy had this gel thing. our pharmacy isn't stocked very well.

do you think it will heal if i need to tear the bandage away every time i reapply the cream? how often would you reapply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth-TX View Post
That sounds so painful! I'm so sorry!

The only thing I can think of is to wash it gently with soap and water, then apply a gel burn bandage to it. You can get some at the drug store--it's basically a sheet of some kind of gel that you apply directly to the burn. It cools it and keeps it moist and protected. And just keep an eye on it. If it seems to get worse, I'd go see a doctor. Often the minor emergency clinics have a shorter waiting time, especially in the mornings.

peace, Beth
Old 04-27-2007, 03:29 AM

If you are still nursing try breastmilk....worked great for me...heard about it here. I just sqirted it right on & let it air dry...no more pain...mine was a minor burn & not from oil but it's worth a shot...for me the pain stopped after a few minutes, when it was nearlt dry. HTH!
Old 04-27-2007, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by living_organic View Post
If you are still nursing try breastmilk....worked great for me...heard about it here. I just sqirted it right on & let it air dry...no more pain...mine was a minor burn & not from oil but it's worth a shot...for me the pain stopped after a few minutes, when it was nearlt dry. HTH!
thanks! i thought about that, but was worried to leave the area exposed. i will try tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:08 AM

I had a burn like that a few years ago---it was the size of a nickel, and the resulting blister was half as high. Man did that hurt!

If the skin hasn't broken the best thing you can do for it is to leave it open to the air and not pick AT ALL. This was so hard for me because I am a serious picker. Once the skin opens on its own (for me it was a week, then it burst---yuck), then apply some neosporin-type stuff to keep it from becoming infected and apply a bandage if you can stand it. But until then just let your body do the work, and try to leave it alone.

I have no scar at all from this awful burn---I hope your pain doesn't last long, and that the marks are minimal!

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
Old 04-27-2007, 04:14 AM

YOGURT! I learned this burn remedy when I lived in Egypt. I had a steam burn on my arm and my Egyptian friend grabbed the yogurt and put it on my arm. In less than 24 hours, the burn was healed. No pain, no scar. The cool yogurt is so soothing, and it actually heals the burn. Reapply the yogurt as often as needed for relief.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saundra View Post
YOGURT! I learned this burn remedy when I lived in Egypt. I had a steam burn on my arm and my Egyptian friend grabbed the yogurt and put it on my arm. In less than 24 hours, the burn was healed. No pain, no scar. The cool yogurt is so soothing, and it actually heals the burn. Reapply the yogurt as often as needed for relief.
yogurt works great for sunburn too! would you put it in an open wound, though?
Old 04-27-2007, 06:02 PM

Aloe vera is very good for burns if you have any around--the best is a leaf directly from the plant, just take off the outer peel. Good luck; it sounds really painful.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:29 PM

you need to put lavender oil or raw honey (the darker the better) on the burn.

Both of those are incredible at healing burns.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:44 PM

If gauze or a bandaid type thing gets stuck to it again, soak it and it'll loosen up and come off easier without ripping where it is healing.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for responses, everyone. when i changed it the second time it stuck a bit less, and i hope it will be easier each time. i squirted breasmilk on it and let it air-dry a bit, but then had to bandage again, as the kids were climbing on me

those who say yogurt, raw honey, aloevera -- all of these can be applied where the skin is gone? i don't have any of it now, and can't buy any locally (well, except yogurt ) but i'd like to know for the 'next time'.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:51 PM

Honey can be applied to where the skin is gone.

Its perfect for burns.

Do a google search if your bored
Old 04-27-2007, 11:30 PM

well, its too late for my remedy, but for next time.....

pee on it, it works every time. my dh is from Uganda, i picked it up from him, and it hasnt failed me yet if done immediatley, it will prevent a blister

and if you have a rabbit, you can puncture the blister and put the hair on the wound and it will heal faster

i'm not making this up
Old 04-27-2007, 11:36 PM

PEE ON AN OPEN WOUND?????????

ooowwwwwwwwwwwww

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
Old 04-27-2007, 11:40 PM

you dont pee on it once you bust the blister, you pee on it when its just been burnt, no wound yet!!!

you put the rabbit hair on the open wound, duh!
Old 04-28-2007, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristinaoketch View Post
you dont pee on it once you bust the blister, you pee on it when its just been burnt, no wound yet!!!

you put the rabbit hair on the open wound, duh!
i heard about the peeing, actually. this is common knowledge in russia

BUT my blister opened instanteneously--i yelled, i watched the flames jump up on the stove, i looked at my hand -- the skin was gone.

and i don't think i could have peed under pressure.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

okay, the gauze peeling thing is not doing well at all. i had it on for the whole day, no pain. then felt throbbing pain, decided to change. i held my finger under water for 20 minutes. nothing. then i just peeled it off. :

i am not understanding how this will heal if i need to peel it off every time. the skin (where there is no skin) is red and not happy.

i think if i could leave it open, and squirt breast milk onto it... but i'm not able to prevent my kids from running around, and potentially touching it. ouch.

and i think my second finger will blister soon. it was only red and raised before, but now the skin is looking funny, like it is separating.

okay, what do i do if i can't get these burn gel things that don't stick?

will a dr be able to do something different from what i am doing?

thanks
Old 04-28-2007, 05:45 AM

organic ghee is AMAZING at completely healing burns - even third degree - apply at least 2x/day

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

Old 04-28-2007, 07:46 AM

Do you have a Walmart or Home Depot or someplace that sells plants? You could buy an aloe plant there and put gel on it from the leaf. I keep one in my kitchen for burns.

How about trying to put the gauze on it where it won't stick to the burn.....
Like maybe putting gauze in really thick layers AROUND the burn and then layering a piece on top of it so it is still protecting it, but there is an air pocket in between?

Like _ ______ _ if that makes any sense??
....._ burn _

OR if you have something like a small lid (a screw-on juice lid or something- a concave one, not something flat) you could punch holes in it and put that over top of it and tape it loosely so the kids aren't bumping the actual BURN and it's able to get some air??

Just some random thoughts!!! Hope it feels better- burns hurt!
'Manda

::Mommy to Pixie : 9-3-00 and Peri 11-15-07
Old 04-28-2007, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiesmommy View Post

How about trying to put the gauze on it where it won't stick to the burn.....
Like maybe putting gauze in really thick layers AROUND the burn and then layering a piece on top of it so it is still protecting it, but there is an air pocket in between?

Like _ ______ _ if that makes any sense??
....._ burn _
ooooooooooh, that's a good one! i should have thoughg of that. it would have worked. thanks!

we are in a small community in the arctic, we don't have a walmart. i am worried our pharmacy might not even have decen gauze

now we woke up at 6AM, ds throwing up and feverish... that will be one nice trip to the pharmacy, i tell you. i have to go, i'm out of the shitty gauze pads as well, only one left. and DD was talking about her mother's helper coming with her to play...we might need to cancel, that would be awful for her, as dh just left for a week, and she has been talking non-stop about that girl coming over to play with her....:
Old 04-28-2007, 01:42 PM

Why not go into the doctor? This kind of thing is what they are good for

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

Old 04-28-2007, 03:01 PM

I had a really bad burn once from a lawn mower manifold. I really, really, really recommend the burn bandages. Even a not-well-stocked drug store should have them. THe one in my town did.

It's sort of like this: http://www.spenco.com/product/704-mo...sp12nbspxnbsp2

Although the ones I got were kind of blue and prettier

Anyway, they don't stick to the wound, and you leave them on for longer. You don't have to take it off to reapply cream because it has creamy stuff in it, and it's a kind of protective bandage so the cream doesn't dry out as quickly.

After the initial healing period it is best to keep the burn exposed, or very loosely covered.

Good luck. My burn was very painful on days 3, 4, 5 as it was healing because I couldn't help but move my hand, which stretched out the newly healing skin and hurt

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

Old 04-28-2007, 03:04 PM

Honestly, if it were me, I would do whatever I could to get that burn looked at. Really bad burns can turn quite serious and get you into a whole lot more trouble.

Is there anyone at all that can help you with the kids? How old is the mother's helper? What about the mother's helper's parents? Tell them you're desperate. Or could the mother's helper go with you to the hospital?

At the very least you could show the burn to the pharmacist and get their opinion. Our pharmacist is quite helpful for stuff like that.

Sorry to be alarmist but I've seen some bad burns in my day that have taken a lot to heal, even *with* medical care.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:29 PM

I'm concerned with all the advice to put "stuff" into the burn. I can't tell from her description, but this could be a very very serious burn. It could be that the muscle is the only healthy layer left under the peeling skin, and she's to put yogurt onto the muscle? That's crazy, IMO. It needs to be examined by someone in person to figure out how deep.
Can you call the 24 hour nurse line?
This is your hand - if it heels slowly your life will be affected for too long. If it heals with a contracted scar, you could loose function.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 04-28-2007, 03:45 PM

I'd leave the kids with someone and go to the doctor. It is a bad burn on your hand! I'm sorry your dh is out of town, and ds is sick.... Rotten timing.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot View Post
I'm concerned with all the advice to put "stuff" into the burn.
This is your hand - if it heels slowly your life will be affected for too long. If it heals with a contracted scar, you could loose function.
Honey is fine to put on open burn wounds. Studies have shown that burns treated with honey heal faster.
http://www.burnsurvivorsttw.org/honey1.html
http://www.jr2.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/bo...at/honey2.html
Old 04-28-2007, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
For future reference, the FIRST thing you needed to do when the burn happened was to get the hand immersed in cold water. That would have started the cooling process and it might not have gotten quite so deep. I've been known to spend most of an evening with a burned finger in a cup of very cold water.

At this point, what are you seeing? What do you feel if you touch the spot? If it's painful, then it might not be so bad--second degree instead of third or more. If the exact area doesn't have feeling, then there's nerve damage right there and you really must see a doc. Those peripheral nerves can grow back over time.

I suggest, given that this is on your hand and we Need our hands, that you see a doc if at all possible. He/she will most likely prescribe Silvadene Cream (which does indeed contain silver) to prevent infection and help it to heal. You keep the Silvadene in the refrigerator, out of light!, and cover the wound once you've applied it. Besides working well, it feels heavenly going on cold.

Otherwise, I've had good result with Aloe vera for serious sunburns.

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 04-28-2007, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

thank you, everyone. a friend just brought non-stick gauze, it was the only thing she found in the pharmacy; they didn't have stuff for burns.

i don't think it is a very bad burn, as it is not very painful now. it is paiful when i peel the gause off, but after that it is fine. i AM worried about an infection, and i would have gone to the hospital or to the pharmacy to check it out just in case, but i have no one to leave the kids with, and besides DS is sick. there is no nurse line in our community.

ironically, my friend who brought the gauze is a pharmacist, but she had no time to look at it. her husband is an ER doctor. they stopped by, saw my screaming baby, dropped the gauze and promptly left. : they don't like being asked medical questions while they are off. it is a very small community, and this is understandable...

okay, off to peel this dressing off and put the new luxirious ones on.

oh, and if the pain is very minor, is it a good indication that the burn is not very serious? i hope so.

ania
Old 04-28-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana View Post
ironically, my friend who brought the gauze is a pharmacist, but she had no time to look at it. her husband is an ER doctor. they stopped by, saw my screaming baby, dropped the gauze and promptly left. : they don't like being asked medical questions while they are off. it is a very small community, and this is understandable...
Wow, these are your friends? I'm so sorry, that really sucks. I wish I was closer so I could watch your kids for you. I can't believe that even in a tiny community a doctor wouldn't feel some sort of moral and professional obligation to at least look at your burn and say "go to the hospital". Heck, I'm only a veterinary technician but if one of my friends were injured I would never refuse to look at it.

I hope that the new gauze pads give you some relief. When I've treated wounds in the past I have given them a good soaking by holding them under a running tap with moderate spray. If you have one of those sprayers on your sink, that is even better.

User Tag List