3 month old infant-symptoms inside..GER? Gas? Constipation? Something else? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2007, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Symptoms:

Evening and night waking-screaming in pain and then falls back asleep

Uncontrollable crying jags usually in the evening or at night, while fighting sleep

Arching back at night, and sometimes after a feeding

Refusing to breastfeed

Sniffling, stuffy nose

A week or more between bowel movements-but urine output is fine

Very gassy

Symptoms relieved sometimes by movement, sucking on a pacifier or breastfeeding and sitting up, also sometimes she releases gas and has some relief

My daughter is a 3 month old full term home-birthed infant that currently weighs 10 lbs. I took no drugs during or after the birth. She has been exclusively breastfed since birth and these symptoms started about 3 weeks ago. We have tried mylicon drops, hylands colic tabs, brown sugar water, bicycling legs, massage, removing dairy from my diet, chiropractic adjustments since 3 days old and starting rantidine 2 days ago. She has had relatively severe gas since birth and has recently also had a severe reduction in bowel movements, less than once a week, at this point, she has not had a bowel movement since Friday of last week(this is Monday of the following week, so 10 days). She does not seem to suffer from the reduction in bowel movements and when she does go, it is soft and she does not strain(but the doctor seems to think that she is backed up and that is her problem..which I disagree with).

I also had surgery a week and a half ago under complete anesthesia, did not breastfeed for one day after surgery(was giving her expressed breastmilk) and then resumed breastfeeding the next day. I only took painkillers 5 times(vicoproufen) over 4 days and then stopped. I do not take any other medications. I do take calcium and magnesium, flax seed oil and a multivitamin supplement. I am also currently have started taking acidophilus. She was having the symptoms before I had surgery though.

I feel horrible and need to know what to do to help relieve my baby's symptoms. I have read about Phosphorus, Lycopodium Clavatum, Natrum Phos and Silica, but don't know what dosages, frequency or if those are even safe for infants, or if there is something else that you think might be the problem and what solution.... HELP! You can respond here or email me at pou099 at comcast.net

Thanks!!
Kara

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2007, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatolea View Post
Symptoms:

Evening and night waking-screaming in pain and then falls back asleep

Uncontrollable crying jags usually in the evening or at night, while fighting sleep

Arching back at night, and sometimes after a feeding

Refusing to breastfeed

Sniffling, stuffy nose

A week or more between bowel movements-but urine output is fine

Very gassy

Symptoms relieved sometimes by movement, sucking on a pacifier or breastfeeding and sitting up, also sometimes she releases gas and has some relief

My daughter is a 3 month old full term home-birthed infant that currently weighs 10 lbs. I took no drugs during or after the birth. She has been exclusively breastfed since birth and these symptoms started about 3 weeks ago. We have tried mylicon drops, hylands colic tabs, brown sugar water, bicycling legs, massage, removing dairy from my diet, chiropractic adjustments since 3 days old and starting rantidine 2 days ago. She has had relatively severe gas since birth and has recently also had a severe reduction in bowel movements, less than once a week, at this point, she has not had a bowel movement since Friday of last week(this is Monday of the following week, so 10 days). She does not seem to suffer from the reduction in bowel movements and when she does go, it is soft and she does not strain(but the doctor seems to think that she is backed up and that is her problem..which I disagree with).

I also had surgery a week and a half ago under complete anesthesia, did not breastfeed for one day after surgery(was giving her expressed breastmilk) and then resumed breastfeeding the next day. I only took painkillers 5 times(vicoproufen) over 4 days and then stopped. I do not take any other medications. I do take calcium and magnesium, flax seed oil and a multivitamin supplement. I am also currently have started taking acidophilus. She was having the symptoms before I had surgery though.

I feel horrible and need to know what to do to help relieve my baby's symptoms. I have read about Phosphorus, Lycopodium Clavatum, Natrum Phos and Silica, but don't know what dosages, frequency or if those are even safe for infants, or if there is something else that you think might be the problem and what solution.... HELP! You can respond here or email me at pou099 at comcast.net

Thanks!!
Kara
Hi!! First off I am so sorry your daughter is ging through this, my dd have reflux and it's so painful. My daugher has had EVERY symptom you listed. She was also started on zantac and it didn't do anything. After alot of trial and error, prilosec and carafate are the 2 meds that help her. When dd was refusing to eat and was doing alot of arching mylanta 1-3mls before feedings and it seemed to help. I'm also giving my daughter infant probiotics, you can get them at the hfs, Flora infant probiotics, they are refrigerated. My first suggestion is to be maybe finding a ped GI, they know more about reflux etc..besides medications try to always keep your dd upright, and sleeping at a 30degree angle, we had a tuckersling for Kailey until she outgrew it and it helped her sleep alot better. Pm me if you have any questions or just need to chat. Oh, this may NOT be the case for your daughter, but Kailey had pooping probs until we took dairy/soy out of her diet.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

Old 05-01-2007, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

I am leery of the Zantac too, but at this point, I just want some confirmation of what the problem is. She seemed to do better last night and it was only the 2nd day, so if it is that and she gets better, I am torn between trying to get her off the medication and going homeopathic or just sticking with what works so she isn't in pain...

And we did no dairy for almost 2 weeks with no change in the problem and still no pooping more regularly and dairy only takes a day or two to get out of your system...so I don't think it is that, but I was kind of glad, I LOVE dairy! LOL

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

Old 05-01-2007, 11:12 AM

Maybe I missed it but I did not see whether your dd is vaccinated or not?

Also I would cut out the calcium for a week, if I were you.

Quote:
My daughter is a 3 month old ....these symptoms started about 3 weeks ago.
Quote:
chiropractic adjustments since 3 days old
Why?
What were the symptoms to indicate that need?

Dairy, cows or goats, has to be eliminated for 6 weeks from a diet to see any change. It stays in the human body for 6 weeks. A few weeks will tell you nothing. Nuts are another big culprit. All kinds of nuts and nut oils.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:41 PM

Bowel movements don't have anything to do with reflux with my experience, but the rest of it *could* be reflux. All my kids had it. Zantac helped all but one and she had it the worst. I'd try it for a week and see if it helps.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
Old 05-01-2007, 03:47 PM

sounds just like my sons reflux. he was in so much pain during feedings and would scream night and day. he was extremely gassy, bc a lot of the time reflux and milks/soy protein intolerance go hand in hand. anyway, the acid was coming up and damaging his esophogus. he was in the verge of a feeding aversion, and the next step would have been tube feeding. zantac did nothing..plus it has alchohol in it which is terrible. he does great on a PPI-prevacid (just like prilosec and zegerid). he is now a happy happy and can eat and sleep comfortably. he also requires a totally milk/soy free diet, as many reflux babies are intolerant to these proteins.
you can visit the infant reflux board-that is what saved my sanity and helped me find the correct treatment. my doctor was of no help and i had to contact the midwest acid reflux childrens institute to call our ped and educate her on the severity of infant reflux and PPI's. you can visit them at marci-kids.com.
and here is the infant reflux board:
http://www.infantreflux.org/forum/default.asp

DS 5-11-06
Old 05-01-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK_Mama View Post
Bowel movements don't have anything to do with reflux with my experience, but the rest of it *could* be reflux. All my kids had it. Zantac helped all but one and she had it the worst. I'd try it for a week and see if it helps.
bowel movements and reflux are directly connected.most reflux babies have constipation issues as well as milk/soy protein intolerances and allegies which both affect the stools tremendously.

DS 5-11-06
Old 05-01-2007, 03:50 PM

oh yes, and the chiropractor has helped with the reflux flair ups too. going to the chiro helps with the whole digestive system.

DS 5-11-06
Old 05-01-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliachick7 View Post
oh yes, and the chiropractor has helped with the reflux flair ups too. going to the chiro helps with the whole digestive system.
i've heard that too

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

Old 05-01-2007, 06:29 PM

My son had those symptoms due to gluten and garlic and onions in my diet.

<>< Alison
Old 05-02-2007, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

I am slightly confused by your post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
Maybe I missed it but I did not see whether your dd is vaccinated or not? NO

Also I would cut out the calcium for a week, if I were you. I have been taking this since before her birth and it never affected her before, not to mention, when I was cutting out dairy, I have to get my calcium from somewhere!!!

She has been adjusted since 3 days old.
Why?
What were the symptoms to indicate that need?

As for chiro, she was nursing on one side only and fussy on the other so we found a chiropractor who specializes in infants and she was out of alingment- C1, so she has been adjusted since almost birth. It is fairly common for infants to suffer misalignment from birth or other things and she is ALWAYS better after her adjustments. I highly doubt chiropractic care is causing the problem??? Why would you even question that?

Dairy, cows or goats, has to be eliminated for 6 weeks from a diet to see any change. It stays in the human body for 6 weeks. A few weeks will tell you nothing. Nuts are another big culprit. All kinds of nuts and nut oils.This is untrue. Only wheat needs 6 weeks for elimination, dairy is sloughed from the body in about 3 days. This is from every medical doctor I have spoken with, my midwife and also everything I have read. And I do not eat nuts, we only use olive oil, so no peanut oil or anything else.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:48 AM
Ok

You say she was nursing on one side only? Was that to keep her left side down? (ie, was she nursing laying across you nursing your right breast?) Assuming I remember my anatomy and memory, thats common on reflux babies b/c it is the body's natural response trying to use the gravity of the digestion system. I used to contort my back in many strange ways to accompany ds2's need to nurse in a certain position for him and my need to get him to nurse both sides.

Back-arching is a common reflux sign too.

Ds2 would reflux all the way into his sinus cavities and he was constantly congested. He also would micro=aspirate occasionally and get lung-congested as well. Additionally, he created lots of extra mucous as his body tried to salve the irritation that reflux was causing him.

Silent reflux often gets going by 4-6wks old and usually peaks at 3-4mo. In ds2's case it lasted until after his 2nd birthday. Zantac helped some, although growing bigger was the best help.

Ds2 was a reverse cycle nurser too. He would take virtually no bottle/cup/whatever during the day. Only at night when we would begin the evening routine, take a bath (w/ dimmed lights) then he would nurse. But it had to be quiet and very calm. Then we would get in bed and he would nurse most of the night. I think he was in a fair amount of pain and so found it best to sleep through nursing. We always kept him elevated too... I used pillows VERY CAUTIOUSLY and would never recommend them b/c it can be dangerous to try and pillow-prop babies. I was comfortable w/ a system I set up (using something that keeps babies from rolling over to help hold him in place)

Ds2's symptoms mimic'd asthma (although didn't respond to asthma meds or allergy meds), and he was actually dx'd by a pediatric pulmonolgist.

Good luck finding a diagnosis/solution!
Old 05-02-2007, 10:47 AM

no, milk proteins can take a month to clear out of your system. IT took us a MONTH on an entirely milk/soy free diet to see a difference. every mother of an MSPI baby knows this, regardless of what doctors say. doctors also told me that my son didnt have reflux, and that the reason he was screaming during feedings was becaues he was a fussy baby. UMM, NO!

DS 5-11-06
Old 05-02-2007, 11:16 AM

My concern is your babe's BM. My DD was like that.

I would write down everything you are eating. Soy, rice and gluten were the major constipating food for us. I never ate diary, but everyone's food reaction will be different.

Give probiotics to your babe, too. You can sprinkle on your nipple before she latches on. You may want to look for probiotics that is sugar (like rice) and dairy free.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quick update, she was starving to death and I didn't know it. She was not getting enough breastmilk and I didn't realize it. She was slowly having less and less urine and didn't poop for 2 weeks, was fussy and cranky which was not like her, pulling off the breast, arching..and only gained 3 oz in a month and she is 3 months, so she should be gaining 6-8oz a WEEK...

Now that we are supplementing with formula(which I HATE doing..), she is MUCH better. I am working to get my supply back up(and I have NO idea why it started drying either, I was doing everything I should have been...) and also am looking for donor breastmilk in the interim so I can take her off the formula as SOON as possible!

I could die for not realizing it sooner...I feel horrible!!! But I am much happier knowing she is doing better now that she isn't going hungry anymore. Now to find out how to get breastmilk in the meantime and work at getting my supply back up again!

Old 05-06-2007, 02:04 PM

eat/drink and rest well

Best of wishes,

User Tag List