What is this new diaper area smell? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-01-2007, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the past 3-4 weeks my DH and I have been noticing a new smell coming from DD's diaper area and we can't figure it out, so thought I'd ask for some theories here.

To me when we take off her undies (daytime) or diaper (night) the smell is like the smell of unused matches - kind of smoky, sulfury. My husband describes it as musty. Sometimes it is stronger than others.

She is almost 20 months. She has a partially fused labia and we have been using calendula ointment on her to try to help her stay open/unfuse more. She gets a bath almost daily - no soap.

She doesn't seem to be in pain, itchy or red in her vaginal area. My theory is either it is the calendula ointment (which doesn't have a smell when it comes out of the tube) or maybe some kind of vaginal yeast or infection? I also wondered if it was a hormonal change (but I've never smelled a smell like this on myself so...?), since she's not showing any other issues.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I think I am going to have to call the ped, but I like to get thoughts here!
#2 of 3 Old 05-01-2007, 04:53 PM

I have no answer for you, but I know exactly the smell you are talking about! EXACTLY. DD had it from time to time and it bugged me. (She is PT now, so I don't know if it still happens.) I *thought* it might be related to dehydration--it also seemed like her pee was really dark when this happened.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#3 of 3 Old 05-01-2007, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
I have no answer for you, but I know exactly the smell you are talking about! EXACTLY. DD had it from time to time and it bugged me. (She is PT now, so I don't know if it still happens.) I *thought* it might be related to dehydration--it also seemed like her pee was really dark when this happened.
Well, it is nice to know we're not alone on this! I have been having trouble lately getting her to drink enough - she is in the early stages of all day undies/using the potty and I think she doesn't want to have to go to the potty too much, so maybe that is it. I'll have to test these theories! Lots of water and no ointment for a while and see if it goes away!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page