3 yr old has strange rash on hands only - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-02-2007, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
My 3 yr old has a very strange rash on the palms of her hands, and just barely on the sides. It doesn't seem to bother her in the daytime, but at night, she scratches and scratches like crazy. She's restless with it, and just tosses and turns. She sleeps with us, so she keeps waking us up with the constant scratching, and I mean ALL night!

You really can't see it too well, but it seems "under" the skin somehow. Bumps are mostly small and skin colored, unless she's been scratching, then it's red. Her hands also feel hot.

I'm not sure what to do for it really, she's had it for about a week. At first I thought bug bites, but there are way too many for it to be bugs, probably 100or more bumps, and it's only her plams, which is what's so strange...

Any ideas of what it could be, or how to treat it?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2007, 10:58 AM

i had something similar on my palms a few years ago.went to a doctor because my family pressured me to.he had no clue! said it could be from athletes foot.which i did not have! but i was working at a hotel at the time and thought maybe it was a chemical.
another thought of mine was... could it be nettles or something spiny like that?my youngest dd has stepped on many a sweet gum ball and had multiple dots/spots from that.
hope you figure it out.i know what it is like to sleep with a child who is scratching all night.NOT fun.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:04 AM

I don't know, if this will be anything helpful, but my mom and I get tiny bumbs on our finger and palm of our hands. It is ususally the same color of the skin, and it is very, very itchy. It is hormon related: It happens more often during or around the period.

A friend of mine had the same thing after delivering her babe. It was all over on her palm of her hands. Her doc told her it was hormon related.

My kids get eczema, but they never had it on their palm. Although, different foods make different area to get itchy. For an example, their scalp, face or tip of the ears will break out with buckwheat, and casein on the chest, etc.

When my DD first broke out with the wicked eczema, I didn't know what it was. I went to a dermatologist to get the diagnosis.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:37 PM

Scabies! (Mites that burrow in the skin). I had it several years ago. I didn't have human scabies, though, so I can't help with treatment. You can also "catch" mites from pets, but they are host specific and won't reproduce unless on their host animal.

http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologi...s/scabies.html

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
Old 05-02-2007, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas. The scabies thing freaked me out a bit, so I took her in. The Dr. didn't think it was scabies. Her bumps are more random. She said that in scabies you usually see little "tracks" kind of like a traveling line I think, and she said it is ususally dry and crusty. Her's isn't at all. All in all, she doesn't know what it is, so she recommended Benadryl and prescription hydrocortizone cream. :

She said to keep an eye on it and let her know if it doesn't clear up, or if it starts spreading up the arm...

Not sure what to do for it. I'm not a fan of steroid creams...

Thanks for your thoughts though!! Now the part on her palms is mostly all red (and hot), and you can mainly see the bumps (which are also now red but still tiny)around the perimiter of her hand and in between the fingers... Weird. Still open to ideas if anyone has any!!
Old 05-03-2007, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

So the strangest thing seems to be happening. Yesterday she started running a fever, it went pretty high through the night, and now as the fever is leaving, the rash on her hands seems to be going away! So weird!

User Tag List