Healing the Gut Tribe--May - Mothering Forums
1 2  3  ... Last
Women's Health > Healing the Gut Tribe--May
caedmyn's Avatar caedmyn 05:28 PM 05-06-2007
Here's the May thread, ladies.

caedmyn's Avatar caedmyn 05:53 PM 05-06-2007
Anyone know if there's actually any evidence (studies, for example) to support the idea that a child is more likely to outgrow food allergies/intolerances if the allergen is completely removed from their diet (as opposed to occasional exposure if the allergy isn't severe)?
sparkletruck's Avatar sparkletruck 06:32 PM 05-06-2007
Hi Mamas,

Im wanting to up my EFA's, and have started to wonder about omega6's and 9's. My understanding is that omega6's are "inflammatory", and that we get plenty in our diet. But now, eating no "bad" oils, Im thinking I might not be getting enough 6's, especially since bluets takes 3000mg of borage or epo. And what is omega9? Where does that fit into the balance. OK, I seem to be taking about 2000mg of omega3 per day, so should I include 2000mg of omega6's, and then what about omega9's?

thanks

jess
Cello's Avatar Cello 06:41 PM 05-06-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Anyone know if there's actually any evidence (studies, for example) to support the idea that a child is more likely to outgrow food allergies/intolerances if the allergen is completely removed from their diet (as opposed to occasional exposure if the allergy isn't severe)?
See, I had an allergist who said the same thing to me, that you need to completely remove it rather than have minimal exposure, and he even game a couple of articles when I asked him for proof. I guess the thought process goes against SCD, since you slowly reintroduce items, right?

I can't wait to to take my immunology class, as I think so much of this that doesn't make sense to me now will then.
Cello's Avatar Cello 06:44 PM 05-06-2007
Ok, f/u to my question for april:

what oils are best absorbed through the skin? we are allergic to lanolin, so that is out. I have been told by several allergists that oils on the skin doesn't help dry skin, Then the dermatologist say yes it does, and just calls the allergists clueless wonders...we go around and around in circles.

I've done quite a bit of searching on pubmed on this too, but I wanted to see if anyone had experience when the eczema turned really dry/flaky, what oils were best absorbed?
caedmyn's Avatar caedmyn 07:36 PM 05-06-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cello View Post
See, I had an allergist who said the same thing to me, that you need to completely remove it rather than have minimal exposure, and he even game a couple of articles when I asked him for proof. I guess the thought process goes against SCD, since you slowly reintroduce items, right?

I can't wait to to take my immunology class, as I think so much of this that doesn't make sense to me now will then.
I think the point of slowly introducing things on the SCD is adding new foods as digestion/healing allows, not necessarily re-introducing allergens. Anyhow, you're only supposed to add new things on the SCD if you don't react to them, so even if it was an allergen you re-introduced, if you didn't react to it it wouldn't be an allergen anymore, right?
Panserbjorne's Avatar Panserbjorne 09:36 AM 05-07-2007
Hello, all. I seem to have misplaced the month of April. We are in the midst of moving and about 500 other things, but I'll try to refocus!

Ds2 has started solids (just this past week!) He tried banana and blueberries. He is doing fine in terms of sleeping, no rashes, comfortable etc. and I thought things were great. However last night he had what appeared to be blood in his stool.

We of course still do probiotics, but I have my doubts as to whether or not they are effective at all given the fact that he has been so off from birth. I'm not sure they ever were able to gain any footing.

Caedmyn, how are things going in your neck of hte woods?
caedmyn's Avatar caedmyn 11:32 AM 05-07-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Hello, all. I seem to have misplaced the month of April. We are in the midst of moving and about 500 other things, but I'll try to refocus!

Ds2 has started solids (just this past week!) He tried banana and blueberries. He is doing fine in terms of sleeping, no rashes, comfortable etc. and I thought things were great. However last night he had what appeared to be blood in his stool.

We of course still do probiotics, but I have my doubts as to whether or not they are effective at all given the fact that he has been so off from birth. I'm not sure they ever were able to gain any footing.

Caedmyn, how are things going in your neck of hte woods?


We've just started doing an amine challenge on the Failsafe diet. It's too early to tell, but I think DD is reacting as she was a bit hyper yesterday and only slept from 10 pm to 6 am, and now today she's buzzing around again although we haven't eaten yet. I really didn't think she reacted to amines

Other than that we're just plugging along. Before we started Failsafe I stopped all fermented foods & drinks because I was having problems with too many amines, and shortly after that I developed IBS symptoms after eating any grains or starches. It was kind of wild for a while as I could only eat meat and the few SCD legal veggies that were allowed on the Failsafe elimination diet! (And lots and lots of ghee...I've decided that fat is the staff of life!) But after a couple of weeks of taking pascalite clay and super strong probiotics (VSL3) I'm back on some grains and seem to be tolerating them so far.

I did a 7 day dairy trial a couple of months ago to see if DD still reacts to dairy (she does)...after the last day she had a bit of blood in her stool, which she hadn't had since I started her on probiotics. Not sure what was up with that.
dachshundqueen's Avatar dachshundqueen 11:49 AM 05-07-2007
dairy soy corn free diet here.

DD diahrrea on off 13 days (I'm pregnant and she's dairy intolerant and I was a bad mommy and tried some dairy which as she was getting over her stomach virus she reacted to worse than usual - vomitting/diahrrea). I learned my lesson.

Anyways, we're doing probiotics, starting cod fish oil (we live in the south and get lots of sun), and we eat a whole grain diet in general.

I'm waiting on the results of Bellie's stool test, her blood came back fine.

Bellie is underweight due to stomach flu (IV fluids a month ago), followed by a cold, then this recent bout of stomach trouble. I've also started her back on some flax oil in her oatmeal. She eats eggs/meat/fish for fat/protein.

Liz
Panserbjorne's Avatar Panserbjorne 01:05 PM 05-07-2007
Oh, man. That is not fun. Poor little peanut.

Keep me updated on the diet thing. I am back to square one. I know know that all my training hasn't amounted to squat. There is just no source of complete info out there. It is all cut and paste, and hope you stumble across the right combo (which by the way is a one in a million shot that it's someone else's right combo!) Very frustrating. All this research has undone everything I have learned. It's a good thing we have each other so we're not banging our collective heads against a wall alone!

p.s. I'm with you on the fats thing! Oh how I pine for the day I can have ghee again!
caedmyn's Avatar caedmyn 03:19 PM 05-07-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Oh, man. That is not fun. Poor little peanut.

Keep me updated on the diet thing. I am back to square one. I know know that all my training hasn't amounted to squat. There is just no source of complete info out there. It is all cut and paste, and hope you stumble across the right combo (which by the way is a one in a million shot that it's someone else's right combo!) Very frustrating. All this research has undone everything I have learned. It's a good thing we have each other so we're not banging our collective heads against a wall alone!

p.s. I'm with you on the fats thing! Oh how I pine for the day I can have ghee again!
I'll keep you posted. I definitely feel like the more I learn the less I know! Although from what I've been able to learn about Failsafe, it would pretty much answer everything, right down to the "why" about why DD developed so many food allergies...poor gut flora/leaky gut just didn't seem like enough of an answer to me, especially since all my efforts to "fix" her didn't do much good.
bluets's Avatar bluets 05:46 PM 05-07-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post


I've decided that fat is the staff of life!
I'm reading (for fun - haha!) a nutrition textbook (Advanced Nutrition blah blah) and am in chapter 1 still where they remind us all about basic cell biology (one of the courses I managed to skip as a bio undergrad). Our cell membranes are 95% lipids/fatty acids. So of course our bodies prefer fats.
caedmyn's Avatar caedmyn 06:29 PM 05-07-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
I'm reading (for fun - haha!) a nutrition textbook (Advanced Nutrition blah blah) and am in chapter 1 still where they remind us all about basic cell biology (one of the courses I managed to skip as a bio undergrad). Our cell membranes are 95% lipids/fatty acids. So of course our bodies prefer fats.
I just wonder/worry about eating too much fat, to the possible exclusion of other nutrients. For example, if I get 50% of my calories from fat (ghee in this case), am I eating enough other foods to get the necessary vitamins and minerals from them? Who knows
Kateana's Avatar Kateana 08:59 PM 05-07-2007
Subbing... I am just scratching the surface research-wise... DH was diagnosed this weekend with colitis, caused by salmonella, and we're exploring our options for treatment. One thing is for sure: we both need to heal our guts. So, here I am. I look forward to learning from all of you... although, so far, I can tell that you are all so far ahead, and I'm lost!
tempestjewel's Avatar tempestjewel 01:38 AM 05-08-2007
Can I join you guys?

So far I've read the sticky and a bunch of previous threads and right now I just feel :

DD1 has severe excema and a known peanut allergy, so we took her to a naturopath who is testing her stool for yeast and found that she also has allergies/sensitivities to dairy and soy. At the very least I think she has gut issues, and yeast makes a lot of sense though we don't get the results of the culture until next week. We were giving her Nordic Naturals CLO, until I read the label that it has vitamin E from refined soybean oil.

On top of this, I'm tandem nursing, so anything she is allergic to I have to avoid, and my system, her system, and the DD2's system are all intertwined.

So, I'm slowly learning what to fix (going soy free has been really hard. We didn't eat a ton of soy before, but used Tamari or Bragg's Liquid Aminos in a lot of dishes).

We went out today and got high-vitamin CLO for DD (the Garden of Life CLO recommended on the Weston Price website). I also got probiotics (Solaray Baby since its dairy free). I found an old thread with a link to a website that sells hypoallergenic cultures for making your own yogurt, so that is my next undertaking. I'm also learning about fermented foods.

I'm going to try to get the books on the "cheat sheet" thread from my library, in particular the Maker's Diet and Nourishing Traditions.

The hardest part was that 2 days before DD1's newest allergies, I had done a massive grocery shopping trip for the month, so now we've had to rebuy so much. With such a tight income I don't know how we are going to do it, but I'm trying. I'm thinking making my own yogurt (maybe with coconut milk or cashew milk?) will be a big money saver over bottle after bottle of probiotics....
Bestbirths's Avatar Bestbirths 03:38 AM 05-08-2007
Ok the weirdest thing just happened to us and the first thing I wanted to do was come here and see what you think about it. My 6 yr old daughter has had 3 or so weeks of severe stomach pain...and the last ten days she only pooped once. After trying homeopathics, a naturopath, herbs and taking her off all of her medication and supplements, finally tonite we took her in for colonics. Here I am expecting a weeks worth of crap to come out but all that comes out is tons and tons of gas bubbles. We had thought it was her naproxen causing the stomach pain, but now it seems like it was gas all along. She is more cheerful now than she has been in MONTHS and her pain is gone. What does this mean though, in terms of healing the gut, if her problem is gas? Is there any way to keep the gas away or heal the reason why she has so much gas? Should I be dropping beano into everything she eats or what?:
greencat's Avatar greencat 08:38 AM 05-08-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestbirths View Post
Ok the weirdest thing just happened to us and the first thing I wanted to do was come here and see what you think about it. My 6 yr old daughter has had 3 or so weeks of severe stomach pain...and the last ten days she only pooped once. After trying homeopathics, a naturopath, herbs and taking her off all of her medication and supplements, finally tonite we took her in for colonics. Here I am expecting a weeks worth of crap to come out but all that comes out is tons and tons of gas bubbles. We had thought it was her naproxen causing the stomach pain, but now it seems like it was gas all along. She is more cheerful now than she has been in MONTHS and her pain is gone. What does this mean though, in terms of healing the gut, if her problem is gas? Is there any way to keep the gas away or heal the reason why she has so much gas? Should I be dropping beano into everything she eats or what?:
I would say your DD still have a sluggish colon, and she needs a lot of liquid and improvement in her diet. Soy, grain, too much meat, etc can be all very constipating. One BM in 10days is definitely not good, especially, if daily BM is not a consistent thing for her. Needless to say, it is very painful when a gas gets trapped in a colon from constipation. The next time you think she has some gas trapped, you may try laying her on her belly with a heat source to help her release some gas. I use heated 'stones' (the kind the salon uses in spa services) since I won't use electric pads. Or, just laying on her stomach with her knees to her chest may help release gas.
greencat's Avatar greencat 08:47 AM 05-08-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempestjewel View Post
I'm going to try to get the books on the "cheat sheet" thread from my library, in particular the Maker's Diet and Nourishing Traditions.
I just read "Digestive Wellness" that was recommended by JaneS on the Cheat Sheet, while I'm waiting for the "Digestive Wellness for the Children" from Amazon. I recommend this book to all who has GI problem.
caedmyn's Avatar caedmyn 12:14 PM 05-08-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestbirths View Post
Ok the weirdest thing just happened to us and the first thing I wanted to do was come here and see what you think about it. My 6 yr old daughter has had 3 or so weeks of severe stomach pain...and the last ten days she only pooped once. After trying homeopathics, a naturopath, herbs and taking her off all of her medication and supplements, finally tonite we took her in for colonics. Here I am expecting a weeks worth of crap to come out but all that comes out is tons and tons of gas bubbles. We had thought it was her naproxen causing the stomach pain, but now it seems like it was gas all along. She is more cheerful now than she has been in MONTHS and her pain is gone. What does this mean though, in terms of healing the gut, if her problem is gas? Is there any way to keep the gas away or heal the reason why she has so much gas? Should I be dropping beano into everything she eats or what?:
IME gas means I'm not digesting a food properly or not handling it well. Enzymes with meals/snacks wouldn't be a bad idea if you're not already doing them (Beano is designed to help break down beans in particular so probably wouldn't help with other foods). You might be able to figure out particular foods that cause gas, starting with the harder-to-digest foods like grains, legumes, and nuts...also dairy or apples (cause problems for me, for some weird reason) could be culprits. You're probably already doing some form of probiotics, but if not, that would be good, too. My digestive problems definitely have some link to gut flora imbalance and the probiotic VSL3 (super pricey but completely cured up my IBS symptoms in 2 weeks) really helped.
Pookietooth's Avatar Pookietooth 03:27 PM 05-08-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom View Post
Hi Mamas,

Im wanting to up my EFA's, and have started to wonder about omega6's and 9's. My understanding is that omega6's are "inflammatory", and that we get plenty in our diet. But now, eating no "bad" oils, Im thinking I might not be getting enough 6's, especially since bluets takes 3000mg of borage or epo. And what is omega9? Where does that fit into the balance. OK, I seem to be taking about 2000mg of omega3 per day, so should I include 2000mg of omega6's, and then what about omega9's?

thanks

jess
I think there is a brand of oil blend out there that has all three in what it says are the correct balance. But I'm not sure the brand -- it could be Udo or Barleans. I saw it at the health food store. I think if you eat nuts, you should be getting omega 6s, but I'm not sure about omega 9 sources.
ericaz's Avatar ericaz 04:05 PM 05-08-2007
Subbing.
I've been gf/cf for a few weeks and haven't noticed much difference in terms of bowel movements (too soft still and the urgency is sometimes there) but have felt a bit better in terms of gas. I'm now wondering if eggs might be my problem. I've had them in rotation and it seems every time I eat an egg I have a flare. Like this morning. Grrr. I love eggs and I know how good they are for you! I'm hoping my l-glutamine helps my gut feel better today...but especially tomorrow. Seems like whenever I had an episode (urgent, mushy, stinky, gross) my gut feels TERRIBLE the next day. It's like I have all this built up gas way up in my abdomen underneath my rib cage and can't release it. It's just awful. And then I don't go for three days, most likely because the prior episode purged my gut of whatever was in there.

It's so frustrating...
bluets's Avatar bluets 04:24 PM 05-08-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
I think there is a brand of oil blend out there that has all three in what it says are the correct balance. But I'm not sure the brand -- it could be Udo or Barleans. I saw it at the health food store. I think if you eat nuts, you should be getting omega 6s, but I'm not sure about omega 9 sources.
udo's blend includes coconut oil (sat. fat), olive oil (monounsat. fat), and some polyunsat fats (sesame oil? EPO? etc). if you're eating CO and EVOO already, why spend the mega$$ for udo's?

i'd focus instead on what you're not getting through food and increase that amount. i think one wants 4/1 omega6/omega3 (SAD is more like 20:1). not sure of the ratio of omega9 though in relation to everything else.

i DID read that some fat conversion is dependent on magnesium; if you're supplementing with EPO and not supplementing mag, you might see what happens if you supplement with just mag (albeit you'd probably need lots spread throughout the day).
caedmyn's Avatar caedmyn 06:54 PM 05-08-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericaz View Post
Subbing.
I've been gf/cf for a few weeks and haven't noticed much difference in terms of bowel movements (too soft still and the urgency is sometimes there) but have felt a bit better in terms of gas. I'm now wondering if eggs might be my problem. I've had them in rotation and it seems every time I eat an egg I have a flare. Like this morning. Grrr. I love eggs and I know how good they are for you! I'm hoping my l-glutamine helps my gut feel better today...but especially tomorrow. Seems like whenever I had an episode (urgent, mushy, stinky, gross) my gut feels TERRIBLE the next day. It's like I have all this built up gas way up in my abdomen underneath my rib cage and can't release it. It's just awful. And then I don't go for three days, most likely because the prior episode purged my gut of whatever was in there.

It's so frustrating...
I was having a somewhat similar problem when I ate grains/starches (stomach cramps & diarrhea, then constipation afterwards). Two weeks of the probiotic VSL3 and pascalite clay seem to have taken care of the problem for me.
LovinLiviLou's Avatar LovinLiviLou 06:57 PM 05-08-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
I was having a somewhat similar problem when I ate grains/starches (stomach cramps & diarrhea, then constipation afterwards). Two weeks of the probiotic VSL3 and pascalite clay seem to have taken care of the problem for me.
Hey, Caedmyn - I either missed it or I can't remember, but why/how did you choose VSL3 over custom probiotics? Thanks!
caedmyn's Avatar caedmyn 07:42 PM 05-08-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLiviLou View Post
Hey, Caedmyn - I either missed it or I can't remember, but why/how did you choose VSL3 over custom probiotics? Thanks!
VSL3 is stronger for the price, and also it's been proven effective for IBS in studies. I did use custom probiotics for DD and I plan to get some b. infantis from them before the next baby comes along but I felt the VSL3 was a better choice for my current situation.
tempestjewel's Avatar tempestjewel 12:48 AM 05-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
VSL3 is stronger for the price, and also it's been proven effective for IBS in studies. I did use custom probiotics for DD and I plan to get some b. infantis from them before the next baby comes along but I felt the VSL3 was a better choice for my current situation.

I just looked these up online because I was curious. : Those are expensive! 30 days worth is $75! I've gotta figure out how to heal the gut on an extremely limited budget
caedmyn's Avatar caedmyn 11:22 AM 05-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempestjewel View Post
I just looked these up online because I was curious. : Those are expensive! 30 days worth is $75! I've gotta figure out how to heal the gut on an extremely limited budget
You can make homemade probiotic (fermented) foods and beverages very inexpensively and they're usually quite effective. You can make yogurt (or coconut or nut milk yogurt if you can't do dairy), kefir, kombucha, water kefir, pickles, sauerkraut, kimchi...etc etc etc.
nataliachick7's Avatar nataliachick7 11:26 AM 05-09-2007
to the poster who asked about reintroducing allergens-my son has intolerances and our GI said keep away from those foods, the more is he exposed to things he cant tolerate/digest, the more it will damage his gi system, and it will only take longer to heal the gut-in fact it will never heal if you keep doing that. i know an allergy is a little different, but in some ways it is similair.

"Some researchers are now theorising that untreated food (protein) intolerance may sensitize the immune system, making the infants more prone to allergies. This is because the incidence of allergies later in life appears to be higher in children who had symptoms of protein intolerance as infants. This is still only a theory and there has been no research done yet into this area that we are aware of."
this is the link from that. its a really great piece of information.
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~disa/Food...ic%20baby.html
tempestjewel's Avatar tempestjewel 02:13 PM 05-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
You can make homemade probiotic (fermented) foods and beverages very inexpensively and they're usually quite effective. You can make yogurt (or coconut or nut milk yogurt if you can't do dairy), kefir, kombucha, water kefir, pickles, sauerkraut, kimchi...etc etc etc.
I've started to try this. There is a recipe on the mothering recipe page for Cashew yogurt that doesn't require any starter so I tried that one yesterday. It certainly smelled like yogurt, but I haven't tried it yet. In the Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook there was a recipe for Carrot and Wakame pickles, so I shredded and pounded a lot of carrots yesterday and they are down in my garage. The recipe says to let them sit for 3 days in a cool spot, so I suppose I'll know on Friday if it worked or not. I'm hoping to order some of the hypoallergenic yogurt starter cultures soon, I figure it'd be cheaper to do that then to take any type of probiotic, right?
caedmyn's Avatar caedmyn 02:39 PM 05-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempestjewel View Post
I've started to try this. There is a recipe on the mothering recipe page for Cashew yogurt that doesn't require any starter so I tried that one yesterday. It certainly smelled like yogurt, but I haven't tried it yet. In the Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook there was a recipe for Carrot and Wakame pickles, so I shredded and pounded a lot of carrots yesterday and they are down in my garage. The recipe says to let them sit for 3 days in a cool spot, so I suppose I'll know on Friday if it worked or not. I'm hoping to order some of the hypoallergenic yogurt starter cultures soon, I figure it'd be cheaper to do that then to take any type of probiotic, right?
In the long run it'll be cheaper but the dairy-free yogurt starters are all really pricey initially (around $50+ IIRC). You can actually use regular probiotics as a yogurt starter and that would be the cheapest way to get started.
1 2  3  ... Last

Up