Natural Fever Reducer for Children??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-06-2007, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter suffered a febrile seizure (fast rise in temp) last year and she went blue and stopped breathing....so I have to supress her temp if it gets over about 100. I hate to use Tylenol or Motrin so I wondered if there was ANYTHING more natural I could try? It has to work though as my daugters temps spike very fast. She is just prone to it I guess.
Any advice is greatly appreciated (as my daughter is sick now and has a fever)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 05-06-2007, 08:19 PM

When I was little, my mom would give me a warm sponge bath. It worked really well. I always felt WAY better after.

You use warm water, NOT cold, and only uncover what you are washing, then cover & undress/uncover another part etc.

I haven't used it with my daughter,she's only had a fever once or twice, and I've just used tylenol or motrin. I may try it next time.

You could try it early one & use tylenol if it doesn't help enough.
#3 of 13 Old 05-06-2007, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Cold vinegar socks, compresses or cold packs on the calves. Fresh pineapple also helps control fevers and can even be given as a precautionary measure.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#4 of 13 Old 05-06-2007, 08:51 PM

How do you do cold vinegar socks? And just eating fresh pinapple will bring temp down?? WOW Impressive! I am loving this site! Thanks mamas as I am worried with my 4 month old twins if they were to get fever what to do. I am so glad I found this thread before I needed it.

Thanks mamas,
#5 of 13 Old 05-06-2007, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the ideas ladies.

Also, I forgot to add, are there any natural products (homeo, herbal, etc) designed for fevers?
#6 of 13 Old 07-22-2007, 12:27 AM

Bump!
#7 of 13 Old 07-22-2007, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2ashlynn View Post
thanks for the ideas ladies.

Also, I forgot to add, are there any natural products (homeo, herbal, etc) designed for fevers?
I started using Aconite a few weeks ago when one of my twins had a high fever with febrile seizure activity. This was after tylenol and motrin didnt work. The Aconite worked within a few hours.....its gunna be first on my list when the next high fever hits someone in the family.
#8 of 13 Old 07-22-2007, 01:50 AM

lilgsmommy --Like to talk twin talk with you pm me. I have boy/girl twins 6 months old!

Where to purchase this Aconite? Is it a liquid I assume? I read about this when I was pregnant but was not sure about it. Thanks so much for sharing.
#9 of 13 Old 07-22-2007, 01:53 AM

: I would love to hear more about the vinegar socks
#10 of 13 Old 07-22-2007, 02:53 AM

We have never used Tylenol or any others. Belladonna has worked for us consistently. My DD just had a fever for 24 hours a week ago and after one dose of Belladonna it was gone within 20 minutes. This is a homeopathic remedy and can be found at most all HFS. (BTW, Belladonna is not for all fevers, so you might want to read up on it a bit. If it's not for the right fever it just doesn't work; no side effects).
#11 of 13 Old 07-22-2007, 09:02 AM

I have a "children´s cooling tea" mix that I bought - contains elderflower, catmint, lime flowers and red roses. You could give this as an infusion (with a syringe might be easier than a cup) and also add it to baths.
#12 of 13 Old 07-22-2007, 11:59 AM

We have also used Belladonna with success.
I am sure seizures are scary.

We generally let fevers ride (we haven't had seizures) but this past year DD got a really high temp and I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep if I didn't give her something - she was at 104+ so I gave her the Belladonna and it brought it down enough for me to be comfortable. I only gave her one dose, after that it stayed managable.

Good luck,
Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#13 of 13 Old 07-22-2007, 01:38 PM

Aconite is a homeopathic remedy. As is Belladona, when we talk about it giving to our kids. You really do need to read up on which one is appropriate to give to your child. There's a book called "Homeopathic Medicine for Children and Infants" by Dana Ullman I find very helpful.

I think people need to be extra careful when recommending giving a child "belladona" (or any other remedy, for that matter) without qualifying it as an 'homeopathic remedy' because a lot of people don't know that you mean homeopahtic belladonna (and as many of us know the herb belladonna is poisonous, but the homeopathic remedy is not).

Healing Mama to :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page