long,dumb-ish question--asthma attack?? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 06-18-2003, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This evening my ds had this bout of coughing and more that I am wondering about. Tomorrow I will get out all those parenting books and medical guides and see what info they offer but I though I'd ask the dumb question here...
Let me start by saying that my son, who is 3, has allergies-some that we can identify and I think some that we have not figured out( but that's a whole different thread). He has also been sick and is currently congested.
Anyway, tonight he fell asleep early and then woke about an hour later and started crying a little which led to hysterical crying for some unknown reason. He was crying and coughing and doing this other thing that I can't explain where it looked like he was trying really hard to cough but it wouldn't come out. He was really upset, tried to nurse, took a couple tugs then pulled off crying harder. He said a few times it was hard to breathe or that he couldn't breathe. Every time he managed to stop crying for a couple seconds he would cough or do that other thing and start crying again.
This went on for at least 45 minutes and he was finally able to catch his breath and relax and fell back asleep.
Because of his allergies, I have always been concerned that asthma might be a problem for him. So what I'm really wondering right now is does this sound like a child who has just gotten so hysterical that he can't stop crying and catch his breath? Or is this what an asthma attack can look like?
I don't have much experience with asthma in little kids so I really don't know if this was an incident to worry about-it just seemed like there was more going on than just crying too hard. Any thoughts/opinions??
Thanks mamas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 06-22-2003, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
bump..so more people see this posting.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#3 of 6 Old 06-22-2003, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Could be asthma...hard to tell. Anymore, my ds has mostly night episodes or emotion related ones. If I could just 'hear' him cough....I could tell you in one cough! LOL An asthma cough sounds sort of croupy, but raspy, but not congested, nothing coming up. Kind of a harsh bark like he's trying to PUSH out the air because he can't otherwise.

My ds gets really upset when he wakes up with a night episode of asthma. He can't nurse. Can't breathe, can't catch his breath. He'll tell me he can't breathe.

I know there are homeopathic asthma treatments out there, and I was hoping someone here could enlighten me about them! I'd LOVE to get ds off his meds, but everytime we have tried, he's just gotten sick again. I really need to just take him to the naturopath and commit to that course of action. I'm just too much of a chicken! He's always had lung troubles and his last CT showed severely damanged collapsed areas of both of his lungs, and that's with his symptoms 'controlled' so I just worry about letting him 'try' the homeopathic and not having symptoms and still doing damage

If he's congested, he could be just reacting to that. Perhaps try treating the congestion in whatever way you are comfortable. I see this post was on the 18th, has he had any night episodes since then?

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#4 of 6 Old 06-22-2003, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son was two when he had his attacks. He would slowly get worse, and end up just laying there very limp. He would wheeze and he would have retraction (the skin in between his ribs would be pulled in when he tried to breathe!). He would have to force the air in and out with all his strength. Sometimes, his lips and the area right around them would look darker than normal. Both times this hapened they said he had broncilitis as well, and that he also had asthma. My ds had coughing with it, too, and he also has allergies.

It is hard to say. If your ds could breathe when he wasn't coughing, maybe it's not asthma..?

I don't know! If it persists or he is sick enough, I would try to have the doctor actually see the epsiode, if possible. That's what happened with us. We had to take him to the ER on two separate Saturday nights. I hate going to the ER, but I think the doctors would not have understood how bad he was, if they had not actually seen it. There was no way my son could have waited til Monday morning, though. They put this thing over his nose and mouth where he breathed in certain things (sorry it was a long time ago!) for a while, and it opened his lungs up, and he was 90% better right away.

My son has not had an attack in two years, due to chiropractic treatment, so I know longer consider him to have asthma. Do you have a chiro? I highly recommend looking into that for preventative treatment. DS has not had a single episode after his first adjustment!
#5 of 6 Old 06-23-2003, 03:53 AM

Yes, it could be asthma, sounds like it to me actually. I had very similar symptoms and found out that some people with asthma have coughing as the only symptom. I would definitely have it checked out, he sounds like he was miserable. It sounds as if you already know that asthma can and often does follow allergies and is made worse with any colds. Sometimes cold air or exercise will cause an asthma attack. Symptoms of asthma are coughing that won't go away, a tight cough, wheezing (can sound like a faint whistle or loud), feeling short of breath, having trouble catching your breath, breathing really hard or any combination of those. the worst thing that could possibly happen is that the airways get so irritated that they narrow down to where no air is exchanged at all. It is usually worse at night so when parents wait until the am to take the chiild to the doctor, the child looks much better.
#6 of 6 Old 06-23-2003, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by siddie
[B Symptoms of asthma are coughing that won't go away, a tight cough, wheezing (can sound like a faint whistle or loud), feeling short of breath, having trouble catching your breath, breathing really hard or any combination of those. the worst thing that could possibly happen is that the airways get so irritated that they narrow down to where no air is exchanged at all. [/B]
Yep....and in young children...by the time they are wheezing, it is oftentimes VERY serious. Their airways are so small and narrow, that by the time they are wheezing, they are very ill. And, like you said...oftentimes, some children only get the coughing as their main symptom.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page