Athlete's Foot on the Hands? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-14-2007, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD has has a bad dry, swollen, and cracking place on her pinky finger and hand area under it for almost a year now. I've thought this whole time that it was eczema (which she has in other areas that we keep under control very well) that wouldn't heal because we couldn't keep anything on it (creams etc...) However, it seems to be getting even worse in the warmer weather and has clear oozy little blisters in it right under the skin. It looks alot like bad athlete's foot. Is it possible for it to be on her hand? Do any of you know what I can do to treat it? It is becoming painful for her and she is letting me know alot especially today. I'd greatly appreciate your help.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#2 of 9 Old 05-14-2007, 08:25 PM

It is possible to get fungal infections on your hands, although I haven't heard specifically of athelete's foot fungus on hands (because the hands tend to dry out and have exposure to the sun, unlike feet so much).

Is it scaly and does it have an oval or circle-like shape? Might be ringworm, another fungus (which she could pick up from an animal or pet).

Anyway, you could try putting anti-fungal cream on it (like Lotrimin or anything for athelete's foot or yeast infection). If it starts to clear then its probably fungal.
#3 of 9 Old 05-14-2007, 09:12 PM

It sounds like what my husband gets on his feet. It gets way worse in the summer. Here are some pictures of it: http://www.emedicine.com/asp/image_s...rotic%20Eczema

And this site looked helpful, but he hasn't tried anything yet:http://www.geocities.com/vyera/dyshidrosis/main.html

<>< Alison
#4 of 9 Old 05-14-2007, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

The rash(?) is on her pinky finger of her right hand from top to bottom and a little on the hand. It is rounded at the part on the hand. It's been there for almost a year now and seems to get worse as it gets warmer. She uses that hand to twirl her hair when she sucks her thumb, and she scratches the finger with her teeth so it is moist often.

I couldn't tell much about the pictures on the links of those on the hands, but I know it isn't on her palms and the blisters aren't large.

I worry about putting the anti-fungal on her finger because she puts it in her mouth. Are there any non-medicine or more "natural" remedies that might be safer if she licks it off?
Thanks for your help!

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#5 of 9 Old 05-15-2007, 12:11 PM

Did you look at the photos on the second link? Those are better than the first. Unfortunately, my husband hasn't found anything that works, but he hasn't really tried much. The protocol on the second site involves hydrogen peroxide and essential oils.

<>< Alison
#6 of 9 Old 05-15-2007, 12:24 PM

It sounds like eczema to me. That's what mine is like on my hands, blisters that lead to cracking.

http://www.aad.org/public/Publicatio...HandEczema.htm

A fungal infection is possible as a secondary issue, as is a bacterial infection. A dermatologist can swab the area and have a test done to determine if there's an infection.

So far I've only gotten relief from Aquaphor and steroid creams, and when the itching is really bad, a soak in warm water with epsom salts.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#7 of 9 Old 05-16-2007, 03:00 AM

I'm currently dealing with this with my son. It's an infection called Paronychia. It can be caused by bacteria, yeast, or fungus other than yeast. They suggest treating it for bacteria first, soaking 3x daily and using antibiotic ointment. If that doesn't help suspect a fungal infection. For this you must keep it dry and clean and use an anti fungal agent. If it doesn't respond they say you might need systemic medication. (oral)

I'm trying a natural ointment that has known anti fungal properties and other herbs to help heal the skin before I do anything else.

Hope this helps

Tammy
#8 of 9 Old 05-16-2007, 07:00 AM

I haven't investigated this in depth, but my DH has this on his hand, and has had it on and off for years. Drs have only prescribed steroidal ointments which work well when applied, but as soon as he stops using them it goes back to its previous state.

I recently read that he can soak his hand in vinegar (I think diluted) and then apply calendula ointment or oil to his hands, daily, until it is gone. We haven't gotten around to doing this yet.
#9 of 9 Old 05-16-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsymom View Post
I'm currently dealing with this with my son. It's an infection called Paronychia. It can be caused by bacteria, yeast, or fungus other than yeast. They suggest treating it for bacteria first, soaking 3x daily and using antibiotic ointment. If that doesn't help suspect a fungal infection. For this you must keep it dry and clean and use an anti fungal agent. If it doesn't respond they say you might need systemic medication. (oral)

I'm trying a natural ointment that has known anti fungal properties and other herbs to help heal the skin before I do anything else.

Hope this helps

Tammy
I looked up paronychia, and the articles I found described it as an infection around the nail--am I looking at the right articles? I ask because I would love to find some relief from what's going on with my hands.

Thank you!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page