Head Lice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-18-2007, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dc just caught their first case of head lice. We used a natural treatment, but my dc still have a few eggs and even a couple of live ones. I didn't want to have to use harsh chemicals on them, but now I think we may have to. I was thinking of rinsing their hair with apple cider vinegar and spraying everything with white vinegar. We have washed and cleaned everything. We have 8 heads of hair and I'm afraid we will have a really hard time getting rid of it.

Are there any treatments that work better than others?

Does anybody have any advice??

wife mum. dd(12) , dd(10) , dd(8) , ds(7) , dd(4), ds(2) , dd's(9mths) !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 05-18-2007, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

What would happen if you put diluted ammonia in your hair?

i just read that it can kill unhatched eggs. But it was in a hair dye product, and I don' want to dye my dc hair!

wife mum. dd(12) , dd(10) , dd(8) , ds(7) , dd(4), ds(2) , dd's(9mths) !
#3 of 12 Old 05-18-2007, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we drizzle tea tree oil on a comb and comb it through the hair, repeat until the hair looks dirty/oily. Then leave it on overnight (you can use a shower cap but it's not necessary). The next morning wash the oil out and use a good conditioner/detangler. Rinse the hair with distilled vinegar to loosen the glue on the eggs. Then comb the eggs out. I then add tea tree oil to our shampoo and conditioner to keep them away.

In a spray bottle put hot water, a few drops of TTO and 1 drop of dish soap. Shake well and spray your furniture. Vacuum thouroughly, put pillows and bedding through the dryer on high for 30 min, vacuum matresses and bag up stuffed toys until a few days after the bugs and eggs are gone. Don't forget to treat carseats and car upholstery.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#4 of 12 Old 05-18-2007, 01:41 PM

Headlice are a NIGHTMARE to get rid off. But I have to say, DO NOT waste your money on the insecticide treatments that claim to kill the lice. They don't work. The headlice are immune to them. After much combing I finally decided to resort to the chemicals, expecting our problems to be over, but the lice were still alive the next day. It didn't help at all.

We had headlice for months, and when you co-sleep it is impossible not to re-infect everyone. But after a bit of reading I finally got rid of them! We've been lice free for months now!

I got myself these combs: http://www.chc.org/products_kit.cfm The company is based in the UK, but I'm sure you could find a similar product locally. They're just combs with very finely spaced teeth. What you need to do is wet the hair, then put on conditioner. Loads of it. A really thick white coloured conditioner is best. Detangle the hair with a widely spaced comb, then comb through in sections with the lice comb. After every sweep with the comb wipe the conditioner off with a piece of kitchen paper. The lice can't easily move about in the conditioner, and apparently it blocks up their breathing aparatus and they die. Next rinse the conditioner out the hair and move on to the next person. You really have to treat everyone on the same day. I just lined the kids up on chairs and put a video on for them to watch.

I can't find the exact info right now, but it was to do with the life cycle of the lice. It was available online. You need to comb on certain days to get rid of all the lice. I remember you had to comb everyday for 3 days. The first day i got almost hundreds of lice out of their hair. The next day there was less, and the day after there was only a few smaller ones. After the 3 days you had a day or two break and then you started combing again to catch the lice that had just hatched. Eventually I got rid of them all.

The kit I bought had a purple comb that removed the eggs and the egg casings. It really worked. Some of the chemical treatments claim to get rid of the eggs, but they didn't. The comb was great! The eggs are really glued on, but the combination of the comb and the conditioner removed them.

Good luck!

Edited to add the web address for the treatment program. Its a bit technical really, but just scroll about half way down and you find the days to comb on. http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/thel...heprogram.html
#5 of 12 Old 08-07-2008, 02:24 PM

I have a friend who swears by this:

http://www.nittygritty.co.uk/ng/index.jsp

She has children with tight curls and so nits is a nightmare, but she said these combs take them out like nothing she's ever seen!!!

We've not had nits as yet, but I still got a comb to have handy because she raved about it so much.lol. She should have been on commission because everybody else around her went out and got them too

Have to use copious amounts of conditioner btw - don't wet comb without conditioner. I'd put some tea tree/ neem in too.

HTH.

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#6 of 12 Old 08-07-2008, 03:16 PM

We did the mayonaise thing at our housse and that was what finally got rid of them. About half a jar of mayo on her head for about 8 hours with a shower cap. You will also need a towel around their shoulders since the mayo starts to drip after a while ( I may never eat mayo again after seeing the amount of fat that dripped off my baby's head). Then lots of combing. I bought a metal nit comb off amazon and it worked great. Bless you and hope you are soon lice free.
#7 of 12 Old 08-08-2008, 04:13 PM

I don't know if this post will work, but just search my user name or search "head lice" on this forum. I've made two posts here w/very explicit, stepwise instructions on what to do and when and why. HTH!
#8 of 12 Old 08-08-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
Don't forget to treat carseats and car upholstery.
PLEASE do NOT forget this step!!!! I did and we got a reinfestation at one point. I vac and wash everything I can.
#9 of 12 Old 08-08-2008, 04:25 PM

Here ya go! from yours truly to you:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ight=head+lice

and

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ight=head+lice

IF all this doesn't bang it out of the park, then shave heads (gasp!), start over w/a clean head, and hope for the best.

Hopefully, you and yours will never need a head shave, but you will need to nit pic nit pic nit pic. (or is it pick?).

BEST of luck. Feel free to pm or whatever if you need or want more info or my own homemade spray samples.

and no, that is NOT a plug for a sale. I'd straight up give it away if I thought it would help. We had quite a time erradicating it for a bit there, and I don't want anyone to have to go thru what we all did. ick.
#10 of 12 Old 08-08-2008, 06:39 PM

I heard on the news a couple of years ago about how cetaphil kills headlice.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2123367_trea...paign=yssp_art
#11 of 12 Old 08-09-2008, 09:56 PM

Soak the hair in tea tree oil and use nit combs. The TTO kills those awful beasts and the combs get them out. Uhg. It took me 4 hours to comb through DD's thick waist length hair but I got every single one. No one else in the family got them either.
#12 of 12 Old 08-09-2008, 10:05 PM

Ugh, do ALL of you have it? If your boys and DH are not averse to having a shaved head, I would just do that. At least that would solve the problem in a few of you!

I hope you're getting it under control!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page