How can you prevent recurrent UTIs in menopause? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-20-2007, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom is 54 and has recurrent UTIs that apparently are related to menopause. Lately they've been getting more frequent and severe. This latest one has caused her to have episodes of incontinence . Besides that, there is a lot of burning and I think back pain. She goes on antibiotics when the symptoms become too much to manage. She drinks unsweetened cranberry juice and tries to eat yogurt on a regular basis. I also recommended she buy a probiotic supplement, but other than that, I'm pretty clueless. I think she said the Dr. was going to do some blood work. It seems like from other threads this could be related to thyroid problems?? Searching hasn't been working well for me. What are some alternative treatments and prevention methods?

I know she needs to eat better, so what specifically can I tell her is important for these problems? Healthy fats, vitamins, minerals? What in particular and why?

She also gets migraines, neck pain, tendonitis/carpal tunnel (from her job - cake decorator), yeast infections, and probably some other things I can't remember. She's pretty much a mess. I feel like so much could be helped by a better diet, but I feel like I am too vague with my recommendations for her to understand the connection to these problems. Any ideas? Thanks!

Leila

#2 of 3 Old 05-20-2007, 06:54 PM

Rather than telling her what she should eat, maybe she could eliminate some things. Specifically all sugar in every form (not fruit). All artificial sweeteners, all sodas, white flour, white anything really, junk and fast foods...milk, candy...

Instead she should concentrate on eating for health. Whole wheat, whole grain, fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds, sprouts, drink lots of water... And I would tell her to avoid abx since it will only eliminate it for now and not permanently.
#3 of 3 Old 05-21-2007, 10:50 AM

I used to get a UTI every month (!!) until my first pregnancy & I had a South African midwife who told me to take 2000 mg of vitamin C every day. 1000 in the am, 1000 in the pm. It works quickly and is similar to cranberry, just easier. You can only handle so much C at a time & your body excretes the rest in your urine, making it too acidic for bacteria to live. Giving up sugar & taking probiotics has more effect on yeast than on bladder bacteria.

If your mom can try and pee every 2 hours at a minimum, take the C, no harsh soaps down there--just rinse--she should stop getting them. Since I've been taking extra C I haven't had a UTI in 8 years, it works & its an easy change to make.

Married Catholic mami : to 5 boys, : 9 6 3 : 5 mo. 5/6/02-6/22/02 (HIE)
:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page