Fever of 104.8...should I worry? HELP!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2007, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My DS is 13 months and has been sick for a few days. It started out with just him not eating as much as normal and pooping very frequently....then after waking up yesterday morning, he threw up 4 times. I thought that was it, as he was up and playing some of the day, but was still pretty lethargic and wanted to be held a lot too. Then BAM....last night he got a fever of about 102. I took him in to the Doc this morning because he was crying a lot and still running a fever. Turns out he has an ear infection and suspect a stomach virus or something as well. But I just checked on him again and his temp was almost 105! Should I take him to urgent care or wait and see? I gave him Motrin again, but it has only been lasting about 4 hours until he is burning up again and it's supposed to be given every 6 hours.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2007, 03:35 AM

If he is showing signs of dehydration I would bring him in. My daughter just got over a stomach virus and her temps were staying around 104, we had to piggyback tylenol and motrin, and gave her alot of pedialyte. Wait you said 105, was that rectal or under the arm?

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

Old 05-23-2007, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One of my sons burns out his fevers and they get horribly terrifyingly high. But, at almost 105' & extreme discomfort, I think I would bring him in. When my ds is burning out his "illness," he just lies w/me and watches movies or snuggles & lets his body take care of it. But, it sounds like your ds may need some extra support as he is in pain.

Too, what scares me on your behalf is that you gave him Motrin and it's still high. I've never given any fever reducers and the highest we've gotten is close to 105.

You can absolutely treat an EI without antibiotics but you'd need to be on top of it right now. I hate to say it but I suggest you head to the clinic just to be on the safe side. In my experience, too, fevers rise in the middle of the night.

And, of course, nurse or offer liquid every few minutes.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:41 AM

Yep, fever's do go up in the middle of the night, at least in this house...I agree on bringing him in, just to be on the safe side. They might want to do some stool samples also.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

Old 05-23-2007, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter

The temp was taken with a temporal scanner.

I am going to check on him now....and we co-sleep so I will check on him throughout the night. My DH said he is "trying to sleep." but is so hot he is mostly tossing and turning. Last time I gave him Motrin his temp took over an hour to go down and then it's back up within 4 hours or so. I might try to alternate Motrin/Tylenol as suggested. I just gave him the Motrin so I wait a little bit before considering taking him in. The reason I hesitate is because I already took him to the doc and got Zithromax so I don't know what else they would do....unless there is something more going on. Thanks, I'll update in the a.m.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:00 AM

They could give him an antibiotic shot or liquids.

You may want to visit an ND tomorrow to fight the infection with natural meds + try to help alleviate the antibiotic stress. : Hope the night goes well.

When you have time later, visit the vax forum for info on using tylenol and motrin for fevers. It's interesting.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:11 AM

Thinking about your baby and hope all is well over there.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:14 AM

Hoping all is okay . . . those temporal scanners are not very accurate in my experience. I use a glass one underarm instead. Those temporal ones sometimes show a lot higher than it really is. I hope that's the case. 104.8 is pushing it. Hope the motrin and tylenol works, also undress him and put cold cloths on his forehead and chest.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 05-23-2007, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the temp was pushing 106 this morning so I took him in. DOUBLE EAR INFECTIONS, STREP THROAT, AND PNEUMONIA! My poor boy. They gave him a shot of Rocephin and he will be on antibiotics for the next 10 days.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:46 PM

106! I never heard of such a high one. Whew, I bet you relieved he got through it and he's on his way to recovery now. I bet that was one tough night mama. Prayers are with you still.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK_Mama View Post
Well, the temp was pushing 106 this morning so I took him in. DOUBLE EAR INFECTIONS, STREP THROAT, AND PNEUMONIA! My poor boy. They gave him a shot of Rocephin and he will be on antibiotics for the next 10 days.
Poor little sweetheart! My ds just had ear infections and pneumonia, so I know how scary that can be. Don't forget to give probiotics with those antibiotics, and you might consider giving vitamin C to help the immune system.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
Old 05-25-2007, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

I actually have some probiotics I was going to give him, but he is taking the antibiotic 3 times a day.....isn't there supposed to be like a 3 hour window from the time you give the antibiotic and the probiotic? I have been wondering what to do and had decided to wait until he was done with the meds in 10 days, but now I'm unsure......

Old 05-25-2007, 03:53 AM

Take probiotics during antiobiotic treatment. But 2 hours before antibiotics or 2 hours after. Also vit C really helps around here.

IME the temporal scanners are extremely inaccurate.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:01 AM

This might sound weird but when we got ear infections as kids Mom would put garlic oil in our ears...it worked great usually after once or twice.

You know the garlic capsuls you can get as a suppliment in the health food stores...she'd poke it witha needle...squeez in the oil...cover the ear with a warm cloth.

We stunk but felt better quickly!

Sorry about your poor baby!

User Tag List