swollen lip! OOOUCH! what is going on?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-27-2007, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yesterday i had what felt like a pimple forming in my lower lip. i have a cold and figured it was some kind of cold sore? i woke up this morning and it is so swollen and hurts so badly.it's bigger than a marble. i can barely close my lips. it isn't near the surface at all. it still feels like a bad pimple or something, but i can't even tell if it would come to a head on the inside of my lip or the outside. what do i do?? we're about to go to the store and i'm gonna get some arnica. i'm not sure if it needs medical attention. i really don't want to go anywhere though, ya know?

here's a crumby phone pic. http://netsavior.com/netsavior/ks/swollen%20lip.jpg

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#2 of 12 Old 05-27-2007, 02:53 PM

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!! From your description I would suggest maybe it's a boil. From the picture, I am just saying OUCH!!!!!!!!! I hope it gets better quickly! Have you been putting warm compresses on it?
#3 of 12 Old 05-27-2007, 04:03 PM

My guess is it's either an infection of some sort, or a mucocele. My bets are on mucocele. I had one a couple of years ago from my kid head butting my lip; it had to be removed.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#4 of 12 Old 05-27-2007, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

i did the arnica gel about an hour ago, and it seems to be helping already. it feels like a lump now more than like my lip is exploding.

i've been reading online about stuff similar and i suspect i made it alot worse messing with it last night. appearently the lip is more sensitive to that then i thought.

i'll be leaving it alone from here on out....hopefully it will be all better soon.

#5 of 12 Old 05-27-2007, 05:40 PM

Sounds & looks like my lip when it's the beginning of a coldsore. Was there itching or tingling before?
#6 of 12 Old 05-27-2007, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

i don't remember any itching or tingling. i've never really had a cold sore that i can remember (but i do have bad acne even as an adult).

i am trying to up my immune system. at the moment i have a horrible cold AND a raging case of thrush. i feel like a train wreck.

#7 of 12 Old 05-29-2007, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

i ended up going in yesterday. all they were able to do was antibiotics and they said it was an infection inside my lip. i'm not entirely convinced it's not a mucocele or cyst or something. it's been over 12 hours on antibiotics with absolutely no change (except another 12 hours with no sleep and ALOT of pain). : it's moved up alot and i now completely in my lip and not my chin at all. the problem with that is now i can't talk or eat or close my mouth.

waiting all day at the emergency clinic to see someone then feeling like it had no effect sucks. i'm so exasperated right now.

#8 of 12 Old 05-29-2007, 01:13 PM

A dermatologist would probably be a lot more help than any kind of general practice doctor. But I know it was the holiday, so you probably didn't have many options. Either way I hope it's feeling better.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#9 of 12 Old 05-30-2007, 04:44 PM

Ouch! Hopefully you figure it out and it magically disappears soon!
#10 of 12 Old 05-30-2007, 05:01 PM

I am so sorry I think it will get better I used to years ago get something on my lips that looked just like yours I never got it check but always asummed it came from stress or a food allergie,mine would tingle before it happed but yep my lip looked just like yours and like yourself I never have had a cold sore......Hope you figure out what it is but I dont think its a infection,just a reaction to something,jmho
#11 of 12 Old 05-30-2007, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

so....the swelling is way down today. the really friggin scarey part is that back in january i had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted. it left my jaw stiff and with a lump. my surgeon said it was just the way my jawbone is shaped now (since one tooth had grown down into my jaw bone). we, after 2 days of antibiotics that lump is gone! it was an infection - probably spread to my lip. i wanna throw up just thinking about it.

#12 of 12 Old 06-04-2007, 10:13 PM

I'd never heard of mucoceles before, but I just did a search and I get small ones like the ones I saw in the first couple pictures after running a Google search. I get them from sodium lauryl sulfate in my toothpaste. If one ruptures, it oozes out clear mucusy stuff. I never knew what it is. VICTORY IS MINE thanks to this thread.

OP, I'm glad that your issue was cleared up! Sorry it was such a hassle for you to get it diagnosed & treated!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page