Help! Urgent Care or wait?!? ~Update pg 3~ - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 05-29-2007, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks ladies. Yup, it is zyrtec. I'll try and get another picture of him in just a sec so you can see how it is now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
Did they give you an EpiPen RX?
Nope. They said to give the zyrtec once a day, stay away from nuts, benedryl cream up to 3 times a day and follow up with his family doctor this week to discuss the next step.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 46 Old 05-29-2007, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Here he is taken just a few minutes ago. You can tell how bad his face is in this one. And amazingly enough he's looking a TON better now than he was just 8 hours ago.

#33 of 46 Old 05-30-2007, 12:21 AM

Steph, he is ADORABLE!! : Poor boy covered in hives though. I hope they get better soon!

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

#34 of 46 Old 05-30-2007, 12:48 AM

My son is on zyrtec (similar thing with hives with him--his was citrus we think though allergy testing revealed tons of allergies so who knows for sure). A couple of things--I do think you need an epi pen prescription. For sure; I'm shocked they didn't do that. Second, our doctor gave us a ton of zyrtec samples. You might ask since it isn't covered by insurance. I'm glad it is getting better for him!

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#35 of 46 Old 05-30-2007, 01:12 AM

You need an EpiPen Jr Rx, and you need to carefully read the directions.

And I second the zyrtec samples suggestion.
#36 of 46 Old 05-30-2007, 05:45 AM

oh what an angel. hope he feels better. and hope you get some rest.
#37 of 46 Old 05-30-2007, 09:07 AM

Wow, Steph, sounds like it got scary there for a while!
Glad he's doing better.

I got hives like that once and it turned out that I developed an allergy to shellfish. I hadn't been allergic to it before! Allergies are odd.

I'd definitely get allergy testing for Owen as soon as he's been off of the allergy med for a couple of weeks. (You don't want the med interfering with the results). They can either do a blood test or skin test.
I'm going to have my son get tested again. He had a blood test for things like dairy, soy, wheat but now we have to do shellfish, nuts, eggs, strawberries, dogs, cats, etc.

Oops, I'm babbling. I'm just so glad to hear your update.

Hugs to you both!
Liz
#38 of 46 Old 05-30-2007, 09:15 AM

Poor boy! Hope he's feeling better, and that you are both more relaxed now!

Much love,
Marissa
#39 of 46 Old 05-30-2007, 09:15 AM

PS: That boy gets cuter every time I see him!
#40 of 46 Old 05-30-2007, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! He goes to see his doctor tomorrow morning so I'll definately ask about an EpiPen. Would she (family doctor) be able to prescribe one or do I have to wait for the allergist to?

#41 of 46 Old 05-30-2007, 07:45 PM

is there any drink he will take? We've 'talked' before about how similar Jake and Owen are and if I mix his med w/my diet coke I can usually get it in him, as long as he doesn't see me mix it.

The benadryl strips are still tough to give, but they melt fast enough I can get them in Jake's mouth and hold it shut until it dissolves. I feel like the worst mom in the world, but if it's needed- it's needed.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#42 of 46 Old 05-30-2007, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Not really. He only drinks water and occasionally OJ. But the zyrtec is actually clear. *A* (my 4 year old sister I watch during the day) was there when I was giving Owen his first dose. She knows he hates medicine so told him it was water (gotta love her thinking ). He actually believed her and now calls it water : He still struggles a little to take it but not nearly as bad as with other medicines. Saved by the 4 year old Aunt

#43 of 46 Old 05-30-2007, 10:53 PM

Absolutely they can RX it. It's just a matter of if they WILL or not. Mainly the docs I know want to know that you understand it is for a not-being-able to breath reaction, not a cutaneous reaction.
#44 of 46 Old 06-20-2007, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Owen had his allergist appointment this afternoon. He had the skin prick test done, testing each of the individual tree nuts, plus peanuts. There's good news and bad news. The good news is he's not allergic to any of them! But that means the bad news is he had a severe allergic reaction to something and we don't know what. Which makes it impossible to avoid it. The doctor and I talked about it for a bit but I have no clue what it could have been. Almonds was my best guess. So the plan right now is if it happens again I need to gather food labels from everything he'd eaten within 6 hours of the reaction starting and bring him (and the labels) back to the allergist and he'll try to figure something out. However, given the severity of the reaction (swelling of the face is never a good thing and he still, 3 weeks later, has scars from the hives- that's how bad it was), plus we don't know what caused it, along with all the traveling we do (not knowing where the nearest hospital is) the doctor thought it best to give Owen a prescription for an EpiPen JR. I am glad he's not allergic to nuts (I really wanted him to be able to eat them since he needs the protein because he doesn't eat any meat). But now we have no idea what he IS allergic to.

#45 of 46 Old 06-20-2007, 06:48 PM

I'm glad you got th epi-pen. Hmmm I wonder what it was that caused such a terrible reaction...

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#46 of 46 Old 06-20-2007, 09:56 PM

My little lady had hives about a dozen times within a two month period - not as severe as Owen's, but pretty darn bad with the swelling and everything, her's were lasting for several days. She hasn't had them since shortly after Christmas. I have no idea what brought them on or what made them leave, but they seem to be completely gone. Here's hoping that Owen's were also just a one time thing and not a true allergy!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page