THE Adrenal Fatigue Thread - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 2288 Old 12-04-2007, 01:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie79 View Post
So, is he basically saying you have lyme without actually saying you have lyme? Since you have spirochetes? Did you get a blood test for the lyme?

As far as your sister...my ND told me there are a lot of differing opinions on whether you ever really get rid of lyme disease, at least chronic lyme (which mine is)or just get it under control. Just that you get yourself well and your immune system strong through supplements, avoiding allergenic foods and eating a wholesome diet with very low sugar, also chiropractic care, and avoiding toxins & stress in general. All of that supports the body to heal. At that point a lot of people test again and it comes up negative. However, it is hard to tell whether the lyme is truly gone or hiding (which it does so well). Regardless, there have been patients who initially tested negative after a positive, only to test positive again at a later point in time, usually after a stressful to the body situation. It is most interesting to me, since I have lyme and a whole load of other problems that I am dealing with because of the lyme (adrenal fatigue, thyroid issues, low vitamin & mineral stores, some too high minerals, muscle pain & faitgue, emotional issues, etc, etc, etc). I also want to get well enough to have another baby (or 2 ), but realize that I may never get rid of the lyme, so.....

Anyways, I am rambling, just wanted to comment on your comment!

Jamie
I guess he's saying I have Lyme, no one actually said, "you have Lyme disease" but they gave me lots of info on Lyme disease (which I'm just getting around to reading but is extremely interesting and maybe I'll discuss in a different thread) and he said that he found spiroketes. I'm not sure that my sister was ever told that she was healed of the spiroketes but she was cleared according to her electrodermal screening, if that makes any sense She's actually pregnant again and almost wasn't going to go to her appointment (she made it because they'd been TTCing and it weren't successful, tried for several years with their first) so I'm glad she kept it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 of 2288 Old 12-04-2007, 05:51 AM

Hi all,

I have been in various stages of healing my adrenals -- I've been very successful, and then life happens (kid in the hospital, which happens regularly, etc), and I will relapse a bit. I'm so glad to find this thread.

My question is -- could the stabbing, shooting pain I have gotten for the past few years be another adrenal symptom? I never thought of it until I read some of you talking about it, but I didn't see anyone mention the stabbing, shooting kind of pain. Has anyone had that connected to their adrenal fatigue? Mine has always been in my ribcage and back area, and sometimes it's been so painful that I've had to stop what I was doing and just breathe. Stabbing, lacy, spreading, shooting pains.

(Just for info's sake, my other main symptoms were low body temperature, constant dehydration(mild to severe symptoms), insomnia, headaches, fatigue/energy of course, short luteal phase, dizziness when standing up, hair loss, belly weight, malabsorption and superfast digestive system. All of these symptoms improved to a significant degree after doing an intensive adrenal healing regimen, but then come back in varying degrees when I am very stressed or lose a lot of sleep.)

For me, sleep is so key that if I don't get it, the nutritional stuff won't do much. My son finally started sleeping through the night at age three (before that he sometimes woke me as often as every 45 minutes, never longer than two hours), and I have had the ability to recover since then.

So glad to find this thread!!!

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#363 of 2288 Old 12-04-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
I thought about this more after I went to bed. I was tested for lyme (& co-infections) through IGeneX lab in Palo Alto & band 41 was triple positive, you know, 41+++. Band 41 means that they saw *a lot* of "something with a tail" (a flagella.) I called the Dr., the owner of the lab, & he said that even an eskimo that never stepped off an ice burg (hypothetically speaking, of course) would test positive for band 41.

So I wonder what the heck this all means.

I talked to a friend today whose son has Autism (vaccine damaged) & on one of the Autism lists she frequents, one woman's children all tested positive for Lyme, mycoplasma & some other stuff. She found a great doc & I think through her own research, maybe his too, they theorized that Bt, the bacteria used as a pesticide (& used in GMO foods, particularly corn) was invading peoples' bodies, showing up in blood tests as Lyme, mycoplasma, etc. Oh, and Bt was responsible for killing off a lot of the bees. It was discovered that fish oil prevented the bees from dying so the mom tried it with her kids & their symptoms dissipated.
I was driving through the bank talking on my cell when she told me all of this :, so I probably butchered a lot of it, but I asked her to email me anything she had on this subject. I thought it was all pretty interesting.
Wow, I'd love to hear more about this! So even our "organic" measures are coming back to bite (or invade) us? I was looking for Bt last year for our garden, didn't find it locally. Now what to do?
#364 of 2288 Old 12-04-2007, 08:37 PM

I think the problem from the Bt pesticide came when they decide to genetically engineer the plants to include the Bt. Google "Bt pesticide" and you'll get lots of info!
#365 of 2288 Old 12-04-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookesmom View Post
I think the problem from the Bt pesticide came when they decide to genetically engineer the plants to include the Bt. Google "Bt pesticide" and you'll get lots of info!
Ah, well that would make sense. They just can't leave well enough alone, can they?
#366 of 2288 Old 12-14-2007, 01:43 PM

Anybody tried Relora? I'm considering it.
https://www.immunesupport.com/shop/p...cription#title

It's an herbal supplement that regulates and normalizes levels of cortisol and DHEA in the body -- reduces cortisol production and raises dhea production.

I read about it here, on an adrenal fatigue website: http://adrenalfatigue.homestead.com/...upplement.html
She's had good success with it.

Anyone here also had good experiences with it?

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#367 of 2288 Old 12-14-2007, 04:44 PM

first you need to find out if you are low or high cortisol. you can also get the big belly from low cortisol, which means relora will make you worse.

have you had your AM and PM cortisol levels tested? I had problems from low cortisol when I quit smoking because smoking produces cortisol. If I smoked, I instantly lost my belly. If I stopped, I would gain within a week, all in the abdominal area. I couldn't figure this out until someone in my adrenals group told me that cigarettes produce cortisol, which helps my thyroid medication get into my cells to go to work. : Taking hydrocortisone does the same thing, so that is what I do now.

If you can't get your doc to test you, try canary club.

for intuitive readings click here :
#368 of 2288 Old 12-14-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
first you need to find out if you are low or high cortisol. you can also get the big belly from low cortisol, which means relora will make you worse.

Yes, of course. Thank you for pointing that out. I got saliva-tested once by a doctor a long time ago, before I had a babe, but I don't remember the details of the results. I came away with the idea that I have low cortisol, however, and this time have been treating myself accordingly and having good results. (Which is why it's so funny that I didn't put two and two together about the Relora! Maybe it's my brain fog, lol.) I took adrenal with cortex, among other things, last winter and spring with good results and then reduced it in the summer when my symptoms started getting a lot better.

Quote:
If you can't get your doc to test you, try canary club.
Thank you for this recommendation! I have bookmarked it. With that price, I wouldn't be able to afford basic supplements after getting the test! And I actually already did my supplement order last night. So maybe I'll save up to do the test in the spring.

I have the big belly now since our latest bout with lost sleep and hospitals, which does happen regularly for us, so I really have to figure out how to keep myself healthy through those times. The belly responds amazingly well to adequate sleep, though -- it's amazing. You can look at my belly and guess how much sleep I've gotten recently. My dehydration symptoms, however, continue on even with increased sleep. After really stressful days, I wake up in the middle of the night with a dehydration headache (from being asleep and therefore, not drinking), and that is followed in short order by throwing up and GI stuff. Ugh. Why does the body do that when it's dehydrated??

#369 of 2288 Old 12-14-2007, 08:36 PM

I dunno. Apparently it is possible to have high cortisol at one time of day and low at another, so it is important to be tested at least AM and PM, and if possible multiple times of day. Do you belong to the natural thyroid hormones adrenal group on yahoo? Or have any books on adrenal fatigue? If you aren't hypo not all of the adrenal stuff would apply from the group, but there are a lot of people there who are very well versed in the whole cortisol/adrenal relationship who can explain it a lot better than I can.
There is a book by someone named Jeffries about 'safe uses of cortisol' that is out of print iirc, but I think copies are still available at a premium price online if you want to try to 'self educate.' I find it easier to just ask questions since I can't remember s***.

#370 of 2288 Old 12-14-2007, 09:17 PM

Just today I had a BodyTalk session that helped to clear a major issue that was draining energy from my entire body including my adrenals.

I highly recommend anyone dealing with adrenal fatigue look into this.
It helps the brain to balance the body out. It's very cool.
#371 of 2288 Old 12-15-2007, 05:27 AM

I have been very interested in all you guys have been posting. Most of the time I get at the computer is when b'feeding my dd, so typing doesn't happen much.
Anyway, I read somewhere that maca helpful to balance out the endocrine funtion, and is an adaptogen. Do any of you have experience with this? Good, bad, ugly? LOL

I am also very impressed with you MBRAVEBIRD, you seem so in tune with your body. I guess when I am so tired and foggy headed, it's hard to tell just what causes things. I do definately notice a difference with stress though! I don't stay away from my food intolerances 100% so I think that messes withe my system, and I have a hard time figuring out what is causing which symptom. Ya know?

Also, what do you all do for exercise? I had a personal trainer a while back. We started working again,l very light, on the treadmill and some resistance stuff. I got so exhausted after 2 workouts (mon and wed.) that I was burned out for 2 weeks. I am now too nervous to do more than walking and pilates/yoga type stuff. Am feeling quite motivated to move some excess weight, but not sure how to go about it.

I had a 24hr urine test for a hormone/endocrine type panel done and should get the results sometime next week hopefully. This will give me a better idea of where my function is at. I don't know if this will give an adequate idea of my cortisol levels, and the saliva tests are not available here. But with the morning extremem fatigue, huge slump in the afternoon time and boost after dinner, it seems like my cortisol levels are a bit backwards?
I still prefer my naps far more over shopping, or any other fun activity, looking forward to this ending!

One more question. Have any of you looked into a raw foods diet for healing? I am not sure if I posted this question before or not. I feel alot better when consuming mostly raw foods, but have a hard time staying away from chocolate fully. Bad, I know, but come, a girl can only give up so much! lol
Thanks for all your support!
#372 of 2288 Old 12-15-2007, 05:40 AM

splunky, a lot of people who know about this stuff tell you to be careful not to overdo exercise. If it leaves you exhausted you're doing too much.

I used to work out approximately 3 hours a day long ago, so it's really hard for me to understand 1/2 hour or an hour being too much, but some days it is.
From what I understand, even having a cold, getting into an argument or going to the dentist adds to your adrenal fatigue.

#373 of 2288 Old 12-15-2007, 05:54 AM

Yes, I have found those stressors to be a mjor factor also. Recently I have been trying to leanr better communication techniques and my dh and I have been really thriving from it, not to mention the stress is drastically reduced.
It's just hard to balance the exercise thing. I want to, but am truly afraid to, due to what happened before. I guess I need to "not stress about it", it will only make matters worse.
#374 of 2288 Old 12-15-2007, 03:30 PM

Hi splunky! I've heard maca root can be great for fertility, so for straightening out hormones it kind of makes sense that this would work too.

I don't exercise at all like I should.

The book I read, Tired of Being Tired, recommends a whole foods diet, much like Nourishing Traditions, so that's what I've been trying to follow, but I've also heard that raw foods can do much to alkalinize and help the adrenal glands....if you feel good on it, follow it as much as you can! I know the chocolate thing....hee hee.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#375 of 2288 Old 12-15-2007, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
From what I understand, even having a cold, getting into an argument or going to the dentist adds to your adrenal fatigue.
I just figured this one out. Since mid September, I've had clinically dx'd Pertussis, which went straight into a sinus cold/infection in November, then a weird virus with a low grade fever which did a number on me & then right into a stomach bug. I have been sick NON-STOP since mid September & I NEVER GET SICK! I still have a bit of the Pertussis cough - I guess it's called the "100 day cough" for a reason, eh? But that one virus really knocked me for a loop - I was achier than ever for almost a week. I even called my adrenal doc to ask what the heck was going on & he explained that when the body takes a hit, the adrenals take a beating & it takes a while for them to come back up again.

I am really so sick & tired of feeling achey & tired. I don't think that I have fatigue so much as my muscles are just weak & tired & then I have the brain fog which just makes me feel like a big pile of sludge. Bah.

I get angry every once in a while & decide that I'm going to go excercise my arse off but I know that it'll just make me even worse.

It'll be nice to get rid of the belly fat one day.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#376 of 2288 Old 12-15-2007, 05:16 PM

It seems to me the 2 things I was diagnosed with have a lot of the same symptoms, fibromyalgia and adrenal fatigue. And the same cause, burnout.

Before, I was able to work 2 or 3 jobs, 7 days a week, run on little sleep, exercise, totally not take care of myself, and still feel great. Apparently all of that is what led to years of feeling like cr@p now. It's like I used everything up, yk?

#377 of 2288 Old 12-15-2007, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It seems to me the 2 things I was diagnosed with have a lot of the same symptoms, fibromyalgia and adrenal fatigue. And the same cause, burnout.
Yep....burnout of the adrenals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes
Before, I was able to work 2 or 3 jobs, 7 days a week, run on little sleep, exercise, totally not take care of myself, and still feel great. Apparently all of that is what led to years of feeling like cr@p now. It's like I used everything up, yk?
Yep, used up all of our cortisol.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#378 of 2288 Old 12-16-2007, 01:55 AM

There is raw cacao for a substitute for chocolate. It doesn't taste the same, of course. My worries about raw are: I already have blood sugar issues (insulin resistance, hypoglycemia), and most raw foods are pretty high glycemic and low in protein. I was told to always eat as many grams of protein as carbs, or even more protein than carbs, and to eat mostly low glycemic plant foods, like greens, granny smith apples, etc. and avoid grains, most sweet fruit, etc. What would be left to eat?
Anyway, firefaery, who used to frequent this thread, has a ton of raw recipes. I think she was totally raw for awhile, but found that she couldn't maintain her breast milk on it and had some other negative effects from it. She wasn't getting enough protein.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#379 of 2288 Old 12-27-2007, 12:48 AM

I believe I have been suffering from adrenal fatigue for nearly two years.
I will be doing another saliva test with in the next two weeks. I did one before, but there was a mistake made on my end and I have to retake it.
I have about a million tests, some easy, some frightening and some I never want to experience again and still I'm nowhere near an answer.
I have 5 children. I'm tired and in pain and I just want to be mom again.
I would love to hear more info from you ladies.
About 8 months ago I eliminated gluten and dairy and have felt much better, but still not myself by far.
I often have a trembling feeling inside, I have muscle weakness and aches, I used to suffer terrible anxiety and panic attacks, but they are for the most part gone. I react to foods now, and have had an elisa allergy panel done, also eliminating many foods.
I've lost so much weight and am stressed to the point with all of the foods I must avoid, that I feel like I'm starving.
I don't know what to eat.
I have trouble sleeping and wake several times in the night feeling sick, shaking, sweating sometimes, or just feeling generally unwell like I'm going to pass out, how can that be...I'm sleeping.
I spend much of my time on a sewing forum that I adore, but I need to find a place where I can share with and learn about others who are suffering like me.
I have no family except the one I created, and they're too little to talk to about mommy's health, lol. I don't want to put any more stress on mu husband than I already have.
He has been wonderful picking up many of my chores and responsibilities and being part time mom to the kids.
I have had several different Dx only to find out...nope not it.
I've had so much blood taken it's ridiculous, if I could charge them for it I'd be a rich woman, lol.
I'm done with My DOC, he just tries to throw more pills at me for nonexistant diseases.

My wellness center doc/chiro has been telling me for months that he thinks is adrenal fatigue, and now finally I am going to listen to him.

I'm an all natural whole foods mama and all natural supplements as well.
I don't drink caffeine and I don't use much sugar, unless it's a special occasion. My ELISA test said I'm intolerant to
eggs, dairy, gliadin, wheat, gluten, eggs, blueberries, and corn.
I don't eat much fruit, but do have an apple on occasion.
I eat grass fed beef and alot of beans, etc...
I was eating all rice made pastas and flours, but I'm riced out and avoiding it a while.
It's odd, but I've found I feel best if I eat alot of beans and salads and beef.
Thank you for letting me get so much of that off my chest.
Phew!!! I feel better just being here.
#380 of 2288 Old 12-27-2007, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome Amy! : Sorry I didn't PM you back right away, haven't been online much with the holidays. I'm glad that you decided to join MDC & our thread!

Your situation does sound a lot like adrenal fatigue - please, please post your saliva test results here, I'm really interested in seeing them.

Our timelines are about the same - I started feeling unwell in the beginning of May '06. Sometimes I think back to when I didn't have any muscle pain or lck of motivation & it makes me sad. When Dd2 was little, Dd1 & I would take her out all of the time to gardens, zoos, playgrounds, everywhere & I'd never tire out. Now we spend so much time doing nothing & the kids get bored & fight.

For Christmas I got The Mood Cure & there are some questions I have for my adrenal doc. I can't take 5 HTP while nursing, but the symptoms the book describes sound so much like my own. I wouldn't doubt it if most of us had a lack of serotonin. I know I don't get enough quality sleep - Ds nurses every 2 hours throughout the night still.

I'm also going through allergy testing - a different kind though at the sister facilty of Clymer Healing Center where my adrenal doc is - Woodlands Healing Research Center. They have cutting edge holistic treatments & their allergy lab ROCKS. The testing is a bunch of tiny injections that they check after 6 minutes. So far I've had a lot of environmental allergy testing & I didn't react to much of anything at all. We have only tested 5 foods so far & I reacted lightly to 3 of them - corn, gluten & baker's yeast - it wasn't severe so I just need to rotate them - only eating each of them once a week.

I hope you get some answers here! I look forward to hearing about your test results. I need to retest again soon as it's been almost a year since my last test.

#381 of 2288 Old 12-29-2007, 08:10 PM

Metasequoia, Thank you for the welcome.
It has been such a frightening journey.In the beginning the anxiety and panic attacks were so bad I just prayed to die, it seems silly to me now, knowing how much I have to live for and I've never been a depressed or anxious person in the past.
Between the horrible bone pain and the anxiety, daily life was a struggle.
It does seem off to me that the anxiety is all gone now.
It's the trembling inside that makes me uneasy these days.
I've lost so much weight from the frustration of food intolerance/allergies and I really need to make some major decisions and changes.
I'm so thankful my kids and hubby have been so undertsanding and supportive, yet I know they wish things would get back to normal.
I stopped BF my youngest because I felt so weak and the anxiety was too much to handle.
I miss it so very much. He's nearly three now, and I stopped when he was 2.5.
I can't believe I've been sick nearly two years.

Do you think if the results come back and we tackle this thing...will I get my life back.

How are you feeling these days?
I did stay up late into the night reading this thread and I feel I have a better understanding and I get it about the bananas now.
I thought it was the rice protein shake making me feel worse and it was really the bananas I was mixing it with.

I will post as soon as I get the results of all the tests.I absolutely want to hear your $.02.

Today the numbness in my face, neck and legs in driving me batty, my natural chiro says it is nerves.

Thank you for listening, just knowing I'm not alone means the world to me.
#382 of 2288 Old 12-30-2007, 12:12 AM

I forgot I wanted to ask about agave nectar.
I don't use any sugar and the only fruit I eat is apples on occasion, but I like agave for a sweetener, such as on a rice cake with organic sunbutter.
Is agave the same as sugar when it comes to feeding the little bad guys.
#383 of 2288 Old 12-30-2007, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancemakes5 View Post
I can't believe I've been sick nearly two years.
Me too! It stinks, huh? I feel robbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancemakes5
Do you think if the results come back and we tackle this thing...will I get my life back.
I hope so! I've read some really inspiring stories of people healing from adrenal fatigue, but I hear it takes a loooong time. Especially as mother's to small children, there are just so many factors that we can't control - like the sleep issue, yk?

Quote:
How are you feeling these days?
Eh. I've been better. My anxiety has been better, so I guess that's a good sign. My muscle pain hurts something fierce though, all.the.time.

Quote:
Today the numbness in my face, neck and legs in driving me batty, my natural chiro says it is nerves.
I had a lot of weird nerve stuff going on in the beginning, when my cortisol was through the roof - I had burning skin sensations *everywhere*, like I had a severe sunburn all over my body, in retrospect, it was absolutely nerves gone wild due to excessive cortisol being dumped into my system because of severe stress. Anxiety & stress can wreak havoc on our bodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancemakes5 View Post
I forgot I wanted to ask about agave nectar.
I don't use any sugar and the only fruit I eat is apples on occasion, but I like agave for a sweetener, such as on a rice cake with organic sunbutter.
Is agave the same as sugar when it comes to feeding the little bad guys.
I have agave nectar, I think it's on the list of okay sweeteners when you're trying to avoid sugar.
The "little bad guys," are you referring to the Lyme bacteria or yeasty beasties? I know we're chatting in a couple of different threads, it's a bit confusing!
If you're talking about the Lyme bacteria, you might want to spend a few days in the Traditional Foods forum - Dr. Ron Schmid, N.D. claims to have healed himself from chronic Lyme through nutrition. He follows a strict traditional foods diet. The Weston A. Price Foundation (WAPF) website would have some good info for you too.
I'm obviously a TF believer & I think it's a great healing tool for adrenal fatigue (or any dis-ease, really.) My naturopath who has been treating my adrenal fatigue is a member of WAPF & Price-Pottenger.
Extruded grains, like puffed rice (in a rice cake) might not be the most nutrient dense food that you could be putting into your body to help heal your adrenals.
My

#384 of 2288 Old 12-30-2007, 02:17 PM

Yep, the little bad guys as whatever is making me sick. When I got my first dx they talked about stealth pathogens and a bunch of other things, then tried to blame it on mold, etc...I've had several different dr's tell me I have this and that. At one point they had me and my hubby convinced I had crest syndrome. I was scared to death. All the tests, Mri's, nerve tests, blood tests, it all came back negative.
I'm hoping htis time, since I'm going to a naturopath, I'll get some answers.

You know one thing that has never gone away either is a tight throat. Every morning when I wake up my throat hurts. For a while it was my throat and my ears were making me dizzy. Thats when they said I had menieres. Now the ENT says I have Gerd. The allergist says I don't.

I am so confused, lol.

I think I better just stay away from all other Dr's for a while and trust in my naturopath.

For a while everything I was eating was made of brown rice. Now I'm sensitive to it, since I ate it everyday.

I know that muscle body pain. Mine was gone once I was off gluten, dairy, eggs, dairy, and corn. I'm thankful. The pain made it difficult to get through the day.

SO about all the salt. Is it bad for the kidneys.

Before all of this happened, right before I gave birth to my son, I had kidney problems. I was spilling tons of protein and they said I had something that I can't recall.

MY doctor talked me into getting my tubes tied becasue if I got pregent again I could get even sicker. My baby had to be brought early.

I'm sorry I ramble on so, but I haven't had anyone to talk to about all of this for these nearly two years.

I am so excited to talk about it and learn.
#385 of 2288 Old 12-30-2007, 05:13 PM

subbing for later reading

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#386 of 2288 Old 12-30-2007, 11:49 PM

I would love to read some stories about some people who have gotten their good health back. Please do point me in that direction.

I read some info this evening that caused me to be even more frightened than I was, on Dr. Lam's site about adrenal fatigue. I need to stop researching for a while.
I think I'll buy the books that have been suggested.

What do you eat?:

I pretty much alternate between greens, beans, fish, red meat(which I just read is a no no), sunbutter, seeds, and sweet potatoes(also a no no).
Now after reading this latest info I feel almost afraid to eat, KWIM?

What form should we be taking C in?
I think I have ester c?

The epa/dha I take with co-Q10 gives me headaches.
I'm not sure if I should even be taking all of these particular supplements now.
They were for EBV. Which I don't have.
I also take DGL, but perhaps should switch to regular licorice root.

My next appt. with the naturopath is too far away, lol.
I have so many questions and I just want to feel better.

I'll be doing my tests on the 3rd of Jan.
#387 of 2288 Old 12-31-2007, 02:28 AM

I can tell you something that may save some of you some trouble. Quitting smoking really stresses your adrenals, and it is not by accident that people with adrenal fatigue are smokers to begin with. Had I known to prop up my adrenals with hydrocortisone when I was quitting smoking it would have saved me from a huge relapse. I thought I was optimized on my thyroid meds when I was smoking, but in reality, the cortisol produced by smoking was allowing my thyroid supplements to get into my cells to go to work. When I quit smoking my cortisol levels dropped and my thyroid supplements no longer were working properly. I literally gained a belly overnight and had people asking me why I had not told them I was pregnant!

Someone in my thyroid group told me cigarette smoking produces cortisol, and sure enough, I googled and it's true. There is a very expensive out of print book called Safe Uses of Cortisol that talks about using cortisol/hydrocortisone to treat adrenals, and in my thyroid and adrenals groups they talk about it a lot. Had I been paying attention, I would not have gotten so sick for several months. Just a few weeks of hydrocortisone and I was feeling better.

Ironically for me, the things I did to be healthier backfired. Quitting smoking and getting rid of synthetic hormones screwed up my other hormone levels, and many of the so called healthy foods are actually bad for thyroid patients. Long term thyroid disease contributes to adrenal fatigue. When all those things come crashing down on you at once, you end up in a doctor's office being told you have fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome, or any number of things. But if you treat for adrenal fatigue, the symptoms of these mystery diseases will ease up. I still supposedly have fibromyalgia, but some days I don't feel like it, and other days I only think I feel tired because of my migraine medication. In the end, I start thinking it may all be adrenal fatigue with a little chemical sensitivity thrown in.

I think anyone who has ever felt like the only thing that kept them going was caffeine, cigarettes, or amphetamines, or some combination of those probably has adrenal fatigue. In my case a doc prescribed adderall at one time, which imo only made me worse in the long run.

#388 of 2288 Old 12-31-2007, 05:54 PM

Well I get so sick of hearing people tell me it sounds like I have anxiety.:
I have had it and I do know exactly what it feels like and what it's not, sheesh.
Now the nurses are Dx me before I even see the doc.

Well the reg physician/doc tells me today he thinks it's addisons.
He ordered some blood work-cortisol and an ACTH infusion/stimulation test on thursday.

I have to do the saliva test on Friday, do you think the test from thursday will cause anything to be off? I'm just doing it on the 3rd becasaue that is the day of my cycle for the hormone tests.

I haven't gotten any sleep for so so long. I just toss and turn and wish I could sleep.
#389 of 2288 Old 12-31-2007, 06:44 PM

yes! it isn't anxiety, it's more of an adrenaline rush. hate that.

#390 of 2288 Old 12-31-2007, 07:02 PM

What day of our cycle are we supposed to test again? I thought it was day 5 for some reason.

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

User Tag List