THE Adrenal Fatigue Thread - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 2286 Old 01-10-2008, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can eliminate foods and improve you diet while pregnant. You can also do yoga (prego version) while pregnant as well.

I'd focus on the worse culprets and adjust as you need from there.

WOW 11 foods so far that you are allergic to and still more to test for? UGH.

At this point I'm avoiding certain food groups, not as hard as I thought it would have been (except my gluten carbs...man I miss bread), and I'm starting to feel better. I'm also taking some suppliments, but unsure how they would be for someone pregnant, I've not researched that aspect since it doesn't pertain to me, and I have a hard enough time just researching for me right now.

Health,
Reese

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#422 of 2286 Old 01-11-2008, 03:29 PM

Subbing!

Can adrenal issues be influenced by hormonal birth control?

I was on the patch for about three months and it made me CRAZY. Since coming off I haven't been able to get back the sex drive, energy, interest, etc.

Also, how much stock do you all put in the blood pressure test and in home testing cuffs? We have a wrist one that's at least 5 years old. What about the pupil test (mine do the weird shrink and dilate thing in the dark, my partners' don't)?

It gave me these readings this morning

Waking (not risen) 97/53
Risen 90/67

Those seem really low to me. I'm normally around 120/60 when I go to the drs.

Thanks!

~Julia
#423 of 2286 Old 01-12-2008, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The type of testing I'm doing is called: Intradermal Progressive Food Titration or IDPFT.

On a level 2+, I reacted to: gluten, corn, baker’s yeast, egg, milk, oat, sugar (cane) & lemon. (Rotate every 4 days.)

On a level 3d I reacted to: pork. (Remove.)

On a level 3D (slightly more severe than 3d) I reacted to: tomato & kidney bean. (Remove.)

The foods I am okay with are: apple, beef, chicken, rice, wheat (?), soy (), lentils & string beans.

Next Friday, we’re testing these foods: almond, banana, broccoli, carrot, cauliflower, chocolate, coffee, garlic, green peas, onion, orange, potato, romaine, tuna & whey.

I want to add these to the list: turkey, black beans, avocadoes (though I think they don’t have that one), pecans, walnuts, brazil nuts, cashews, sesame, garbanzo beans, butternut squash, acorn squash, cucumber, celery, peppers, mango, pineapple, pear, spearmint, peppermint, quinoa, millet, spelt, amaranth, buckwheat, chamomile, carob, raspberries, strawberries, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, mustard, olives, cabbage, celery root, rutabaga, sweet potatoes, limes, grapefruit & grapes.

I've decided to cut out ALL of the common offenders (plus pork, tomatoes & kidney beans): dairy, gluten, corn, soy (don't eat it anyway), sugar (I'm sugar free anyway), yeast, peanut butter & tree nuts *completely* for a month & then, one at a time, I will reintroduce the ones I'm allowed to rotate (except the gluten, I think I'm done with that one for good.) I'll rotate those foods weekly. I reeeeally miss the dairy, more than anything, which makes me think that that's a real problem food for me.

I think my milk supply is dropping. My boobs are suddenly like flat pancakes. My supply is well establishes, I've been nursing continuously for 5 years.

I need more fat, protein & carbs. I'm so hungry but I can't eat anything!

I need to go see my adrenal doc to see what he says about this. I don't know what's more stressful for my body, eating something I am reacting to or not eating enough.
I also can't afford to eat like this, it's expensive! Eggs were so cheap but so packed full of nutrition.

I'm going to try mixing my licorice with goat's milk I think, the idea of drinking it with rice milk sounds disgusting.

I think I'll go post this in the allergy forum.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#424 of 2286 Old 01-13-2008, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
I want to add these to the list: turkey, black beans, avocadoes (though I think they don’t have that one), pecans, walnuts, brazil nuts, cashews, sesame, garbanzo beans, butternut squash, acorn squash, cucumber, celery, peppers, mango, pineapple, pear, spearmint, peppermint, quinoa, millet, spelt, amaranth, buckwheat, chamomile, carob, raspberries, strawberries, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, mustard, olives, cabbage, celery root, rutabaga, sweet potatoes, limes, grapefruit & grapes.

I need more fat, protein & carbs. I'm so hungry but I can't eat anything!
I didn't see coconut on your list. If you get tested for that and are clear that could be a great source of fat, yummy fat at that! I've replaced a lot of dairy with coconut milk. I'm just trying to not overdo it since most of the sensitivites I've developed seem connected to excessive or frequent consumption (like 1/4 jar of peanut butter in one sitting). Coconut flour is also high in protein, although you'd be limited in it's use without eggs. I'm going to try adding a little to my buckwheat and to ds's oatmeal tomorrow and see how it turns out.
#425 of 2286 Old 01-13-2008, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlutgendorf View Post
Subbing!

I was on the patch for about three months and it made me CRAZY. Since coming off I haven't been able to get back the sex drive, energy, interest, etc.
Well, it screws with your hormones so I'd guess that it messes with the adrenals as well, or at least stresses them. I know that loss of sex drive is a common side affect from hormonal b.c. Glad I found that out after taking it for 5 years. I didn't see that in the package insert
#426 of 2286 Old 01-13-2008, 10:08 PM

Well I'm still waiting for my results. The Addisons test came back negative.
And this was through the regular docor who I'm very frustrated with, waiting on the saliva test results from the naturopath.

My tight throat has gotten so bad that I have been having feelings of anxiety wash over me. I feel that my throat will close, yet it doesn't, and it drives me crazy. I'm getting no sleep at all and I don't have an idea what to do about it.
I can deal with all the other symptoms, but the throat thing really gets to me emotionally as well.

No pain, just tightness and sore in the mornings.
At first they said maybe gerd, then the allergist said no, maybe voacl cord dysfunction. I don't know where to go from here.

Metasequoia,I am curious about your diet/food testing.

I had the ELISA food allergy panel( repeating myself probably) and have eliminated all the foods I reacted to. Should I be rotating them instead?
I feel like it's beans and meat more than anything for me.

I know gluten and dairy is out since it gives me horrible pain, but I didn't realize I could rotate the rest of the things that had low reactions.
I have had no more trembling or feeling like passing out since I gave up the bananas and chocolate.

Any advice on this. How long does it take for saliva results?

My favorite food was refried beans , but I read that they have canola oil and you ladies said that's a no no so I'm lost.
I did eat a handful of kettle chips the other day and got very sick very quickly.

Hope you are all having a good weekend and feeling well.
#427 of 2286 Old 01-14-2008, 02:22 PM

Amy, the key is to make things from scratch. If you don't know how to cook, now is a very good time to learn.

If legumes don't bother you, make your own refried beans, they are super easy and much tastier. Avoid processed foods, those are the worse. Focus on making it yourself.

If you aren't up to soaking your beans over night, get organic canned beans.

Dice up and carmalize onions in coconut oil, add beans (I prefer black), heat through. Add seasons (I use garlic powder, cummin, nutritional yeast, celtic seasalt, black pepper, and dried cilantro crushed to a powder), mush with wand blender or potato masher.

I've given up legumes for now, will reintroduce them later once I'm on the mend.

Reese

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#428 of 2286 Old 01-14-2008, 05:59 PM

Yep, I do make everything from scratch.
However when we are in the city shopping for instance there is nothing for me but salad and it is usually awful, lol.

I had to eliminate coconut oil since my sons allergist said it is on the nut list now and ds is anaphylactic.
So it's olive oil in everything.

I thik I have beans soaking on my counter at leat every other night, hehe.
Today I've got a bunch in the crockpot to freeze. Chili.

I just wish there were moreoptions out there.

And the throat thing is making me batty and affecting my sleep. * months now of tight throat feeling.

Thanks for the advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeseccup View Post
Amy, the key is to make things from scratch. If you don't know how to cook, now is a very good time to learn.

If legumes don't bother you, make your own refried beans, they are super easy and much tastier. Avoid processed foods, those are the worse. Focus on making it yourself.

If you aren't up to soaking your beans over night, get organic canned beans.

Dice up and carmalize onions in coconut oil, add beans (I prefer black), heat through. Add seasons (I use garlic powder, cummin, nutritional yeast, celtic seasalt, black pepper, and dried cilantro crushed to a powder), mush with wand blender or potato masher.

I've given up legumes for now, will reintroduce them later once I'm on the mend.

Reese
#429 of 2286 Old 01-15-2008, 02:40 PM

it is hard. I am interested in the allergy testing, although at this point I'm not really wanting to know on some level. I also don't think I could afford it. Sigh.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#430 of 2286 Old 01-15-2008, 06:42 PM

i finally got my saliva results yesterday and saw a new (primary care) doctor today. my results are:

estradiol (E2) 1.5 pg/ml 1.3-3.3 luteal
progesterone 125 pg/ml 75-270 luteal
pg/e2 ratio 83 optimal: 100-500
DHEAS 5.0 ng/ml 2-23 (age dependent)
cotisol morning 5.2 ng/ml 3.7-9.5
cortisol noon 0.8 ng/ml 1.2-3.9
cortisol evening 0.8 ng/ml 0.6-1.9
cortisol night 0.1 ng/ml 0.4-1.0

this dr said the cortisol was fine and that only thing that was low was the pg/e2 ratio. if i hadn't handed her the paper i would have wondered if she was reading the same thing as me. she did not ask if i was nursing (2yo dd was with me) and did not ask when my last period was. it kind of seemed like she shut down after hearing that i had previously been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. she even suggested that seratonin could be involved and it might help for me to see a therapist to learn some coping skills! i'm very disappointed. however, she did give the names and phone numbers for an endo and an allergist so maybe she was a little helpful.

oh, yeah. when the nurse brought my lab order in it didn't have free t3, free t4 or reverse t3, even though i had specifically asked for them. i had to send her back and get a new one. now that i'm home i notice that it doesn't have the ferritin test on it.

any interpretations from more experienced folks? i'll admit i've only read a few pages of this thread because it's huge and i'm just starting out.

thanks!

sarah
#431 of 2286 Old 01-16-2008, 05:40 PM

I'm cross posting this in the thyroid thread as well. I don't recall which group of mine sent this information, but I did some research because I was intrigued, and of course, I'm obsessive.

Yk how flouride and chlorine can suppress thyroid function? Guess what? Lots of prescription meds are processed with those 2 things, which means that when you take your prescriptions, just like when you drink flourinated or chlorinated water, you are ingesting something that can counteract the medicine you take to help your thyroid disorder! Or, you are taking something that can suppress thyroid function and lead to hypo and adrenal fatigue.

Does anyone else ever feel like you just might explode?

this site isn't updated, so not all of the links still work, but there is a lot of information still available:
http://bruha.com/pfpc/index.html

more links:
http://www.thenhf.com/fluoridation_71.htm
http://www.just-think-it.com/f-drugs.htm
http://www.slweb.org/ftrcfluorinatedpharm.html

I especially like the 'may or may not' statement made in this link. If you can't tell me whether or not chlorine is left in the final product, maybe you aren't qualified to tell me a pharmaceutical drug is safe to use.
http://www.unece.org/indust/chem3.htm

http://www.n-wellness.com/stories.php?id=84

I just like these guys cuz they rant like I do.
http://www.newstarget.com/008511.html
http://sonic.net/~doretk/Issues/99-0.../thegreat.html

Better living through chemistry? I think not.

for intuitive readings click here :
#432 of 2286 Old 01-16-2008, 11:11 PM

Sarah,

All your cortisol results are a bit on the low side I think. You might want to post on the realthyroidhelp dot com forums for more advice- There are people with adrenal and thyroid experience on there who could give a second opinion.

-Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlyao View Post
i finally got my saliva results yesterday and saw a new (primary care) doctor today. my results are:

estradiol (E2) 1.5 pg/ml 1.3-3.3 luteal
progesterone 125 pg/ml 75-270 luteal
pg/e2 ratio 83 optimal: 100-500
DHEAS 5.0 ng/ml 2-23 (age dependent)
cotisol morning 5.2 ng/ml 3.7-9.5
cortisol noon 0.8 ng/ml 1.2-3.9
cortisol evening 0.8 ng/ml 0.6-1.9
cortisol night 0.1 ng/ml 0.4-1.0

this dr said the cortisol was fine and that only thing that was low was the pg/e2 ratio. if i hadn't handed her the paper i would have wondered if she was reading the same thing as me. she did not ask if i was nursing (2yo dd was with me) and did not ask when my last period was. it kind of seemed like she shut down after hearing that i had previously been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. she even suggested that seratonin could be involved and it might help for me to see a therapist to learn some coping skills! i'm very disappointed. however, she did give the names and phone numbers for an endo and an allergist so maybe she was a little helpful.

oh, yeah. when the nurse brought my lab order in it didn't have free t3, free t4 or reverse t3, even though i had specifically asked for them. i had to send her back and get a new one. now that i'm home i notice that it doesn't have the ferritin test on it.

any interpretations from more experienced folks? i'll admit i've only read a few pages of this thread because it's huge and i'm just starting out.

thanks!

sarah
#433 of 2286 Old 01-17-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlutgendorf View Post
Subbing!

~Julia
Yes, yes, yes! BCPs are what tanked my adrenals, initially causing cortisol over-production, I believe, and as a result they became fatigued and production became low. I had taken the same BCP for 4 years with the only side effect being the occasional night sweat, then switched to a triphasic that messed me up big time. I went off BCPs in Jan 2003 and here I still am, trying to repair the damage.

You all probably don't remember me, I initially posted somewhere back before page 10 I think. At last post I had received my saliva test results and was waiting to see the course of action my naturopath would recommend.

Here were my results:
AM 18 Normal (range 12-24)
Noon <1 Depressed (range 5-10)
PM <1 Depressed (range 3-8)
Night <1 Depressed (range 1-4)

I started on licorice extract to treat and did one 6-week treatment course back in late summer, with great results. Energy and exercise tolerance in particular were much improved. I started to notice the recurrence of some symptoms at the end of the year and am now doing another 6-week course. I was told to expect treatment may need to go on over a fairly extended period of time and so far that has been my experience, but I am very happy with the results so far. I haven't been retested yet so I don't know what kind of empirical results I'm getting, but based on symptoms things are definitely improved.
#434 of 2286 Old 01-17-2008, 03:33 PM

Synthetic hormones are the devil.

My generation was passed birth control pills like popcorn. If we had cramps or irregular periods, or if a doc even thought we had a boyfriend....here ya go! No tests to see if your hormones were at proper levels. Hell, I don't even know if they have a clue what levels they should be, yk?

In my mid twenties I was taken off birth control because I was sterile, and while I didn't recognize it at the time, that is when my battle with adrenal fatigue began. A few years later, because I didn't know any better, I went back on the pill for the convenience of the shorter periods and only having migraines one week out of the month instead of all 4. When I got too old to take the pill (and finally knew better) adrenal fatigue set in again, but I was counteracting the effects with caffeine and nicotine and didn't realize it.

It's so ironic that when I decided to get healthy, it put me flat on my back. The cigarettes were producing cortisol, which was helping my adrenals, so when I quit smoking, I crashed so hard it wasn't funny. My progesterone levels were all messed up, which also screws up your cortisol.
I became estrogen dominant, which is bad bad bad for someone who gets migraines from estrogen. (I learned this from a clueless doc who thought I was menopausal at 35 and gave me synthetic estrogen Too much estrogen=too little progesterone=too little cortisol=more adrenal fatigue.

I spent so much of my life running on adrenaline because I had no cortisol, and the only answers I could get from doctors were PMS or depression.
Um, no.
How can it be PMS or depression if I'm not unhappy, and every day I can feel a physiological reaction to the least amount of stress that I cannot control with a logical thought? It isn't dictated by my monthly cycle or by a psychological disorder. It's a physiological problem that creates what appears to be a mental problem. A friend summed it up so perfectly when she said You know you're being crazy but you just can't stop yourself. It starts with a racing heart and pulse, shaking, dry mouth. It is literally fight or flight. You know in your head there is no reason for your body to be reacting in this way, but because your heart is pounding and you are shaking and feeling like you need to flee, it is impossible to appear rational to anyone no matter how hard you try. It is physically impossible.

So frustrating. I read and read, and from what I understand the combination of my chaotic household growing up, the synthetic hormones, and the toxins that surround us completely trashed my adrenals and my thyroid. I think the thyroid may have been more avoidable, but my adrenals were probably doomed anyway, yk?

I've seen doctors for over 30 years for my headaches, and it was just in the past couple of months that someone taught me to use progesterone cream to help my estrogen dominance and head off the menstrual migraines. Of course, that someone was not a doctor. Likewise, it was not doctors who taught me to use hydrocortisone to heal my adrenals so my thyroid meds could work instead of floating around doing nothing while I stayed hypo.

It's a constant uphill struggle. I can't live normally. I can't stay up late talking if a friend flies in to visit. I can't get up early to go somewhere. I can't work out for 3 hours a day like I used to, or help a friend move. People don't understand, even if they say they do. With everything I do, and with the great strides I've made, it still isn't enough. As nasty and expensive as smoking is, it would be so much easier to start again, because all I'd have to do then is step outside a few times a day, take a few puffs, and I could live normally. All the expense, all the hassles and ostracism, even dying sooner, would almost be worth it to live normally while my kids are young.

#435 of 2286 Old 01-18-2008, 02:58 AM

Hi!

I've been reading up.

Anyone used adaptogenic herbs like ginseng, ashwaganda, or shavtavari? Rhoidolia falls in that category too.

I was at one point on a supplement from neuroscience wiht rhodiola in it, it really helped. I had done the neuroscience urine testing, and got supplements for while through them (adrecor, travacor, etc...) They helped but are pricey, and I think I was in a crisis at the time and I stopped taking them because the acute stress stopped and I felt generally better.

I was waiting ofr my energy to recoup after the acute stress and it just has not come back, I think I am at 70% and want to boost myself back up to feeling vibrant again.

Or has anyonme used nettles? Susan Weed says its great for healing adrenals, and is so specific to kidneys shes folks get of dialysis in three mootnhs by drinking it twice a day. For those that pee alot or have kidney pain it might help. Its cheap too.

My thought is these herbs may correct the underlying problem instead of just subbing out the hormones.

I am leary of taking adrenal extracts, stuff like mad cow and such freaks me out, it just seems weird to me to take cow glands to heal me. I think I am more an herb kinda girl!

I got some nettles and ashwagnada from avena botanicals and was going to use that in additional to accupuncture as part of my healing plan.

Anyone else used any of the adpogenic herbs?

Thanks, Heidi
#436 of 2286 Old 01-18-2008, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human_Being View Post
Hi!

I've been reading up.

Anyone used adaptogenic herbs like ginseng, ashwaganda, or shavtavari? Rhoidolia falls in that category too.

I was at one point on a supplement from neuroscience wiht rhodiola in it, it really helped. I had done the neuroscience urine testing, and got supplements for while through them (adrecor, travacor, etc...) They helped but are pricey, and I think I was in a crisis at the time and I stopped taking them because the acute stress stopped and I felt generally better.

My thought is these herbs may correct the underlying problem instead of just subbing out the hormones.

I am leary of taking adrenal extracts, stuff like mad cow and such freaks me out, it just seems weird to me to take cow glands to heal me. I think I am more an herb kinda girl!

I got some nettles and ashwagnada from avena botanicals and was going to use that in additional to accupuncture as part of my healing plan.

Anyone else used any of the adpogenic herbs?
Ashgawanda is helpful, but it's a matter of how much adrenal support you need, and if you are in bad enough shape it may not be enough. Try it and see how you do.

I've used ashgawanda in the past and also adrenal extracts. A lot of people who aren't too far gone have good results with both, but I found that the adrenal extracts just revved up my adrenaline, which was exactly what I didn't need. A lot of people with adrenal fatigue are already running on adrenaline and need cortisol, which is why we take hydrocortisone, and that is why cigarette smoking actually helps, because smoking a cigarette produces cortisol. Note, I am not saying smoking is good, I'm saying that is why so many people who quit smoking suddenly discover they are hypo and/or have adrenal fatigue. They've been masking their symptoms and self-treating without realizing it. Google cigarette smoking and cortisol, you'll find it. (Just in case you think I made this up. )

When people who have adrenal fatigue quit smoking, they crash really hard because of all the cortisol they suddenly are not getting. Then they have adrenaline rushes and become irritable and exhausted and everyone thinks it's just withdrawal from nicotine.

I often say I wish I had known this stuff beforehand, and someone pointed out to me that it sounds victim-like. I don't mean for it to, if anything, I want to save others from going through 20 years of adrenal fatigue wondering what the hell is wrong while doctors misdiagnose and leave you hanging.

I've had adrenal fatigue for at least 20 years, and hypo for over 10. I was diagnosed with hypo maybe 6 years ago and adrenal fatigue 3 years ago. That is a long time to be sick and misdiagnosed or undiagnosed, I think.

I was a victim of the medical community and the pharmaceutical industry, along with big agriculture and the FDA. But the way I take my power back is to expose the things they do that keep women sick. You don't have to be sick for 10 years, or 20 years, before you figure out what is wrong.

Make no mistake. I am not a victim. I am a survivor. I rant, and I rage at the people who grow rich keeping us sick, sure. I'd be an idiot if I wasn't angry. But I make it a point to share every single piece of information I've learned with everyone I can. It's important. Some people think I'm crazy, some think I go overboard, but at least I'm able to get out of bed every day, which is something I haven't been able to do a few times in my life. And if I help even a handful of other women to be survivors too, cool. Why are we allowed to be mamma tigers if someone harms our children, but if someone harms us and we get angry, we're classified as victims? Fight back like a tiger and be a survivor.

#437 of 2286 Old 01-18-2008, 12:03 PM

Bigeyes- you mentioned that smoking raises cortisol. Does alcohol have an effect on cortisol as well? It seems I read somewhere once that it does.

Subbing- I'm also on the thyroid thread, there is so much to learn!
#438 of 2286 Old 01-18-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flutemandolin View Post
Bigeyes- you mentioned that smoking raises cortisol. Does alcohol have an effect on cortisol as well? It seems I read somewhere once that it does.

Subbing- I'm also on the thyroid thread, there is so much to learn!
Yup. It does. People self medicate. I always thought that term was so odd, but on some level you really do know that something makes you feel better even when you also know it's bad for you. It's crazy.
http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/healt...acer030915.htm
http://www.scienceblog.com/community...C/2003252.html
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=17634861
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...35405ecfe7c792
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/con...all~order=page

There are women in my adrenals group who have in the past used amphetamines to try to keep up with a normal lifestyle, sedatives, pot and alcohol to try to sleep, various psychiatric drugs to relieve 'stress.' It didn't work because their bodies were out of whack and the prevailing medical wisdom tends to treat the mind. Pot is fleeting, alcohol leaves the hangover. Psychiatric drugs are not going after the real problem, yk? Amphetamines make adrenal fatigue worse, stressing out your adrenals even more. Google is your friend.

I think younger women find it funny when I say the internet saved my life, but you have to remember my generation grew up without it. My generation was taught to trust doctors, to go look things up at the library, and to read the newspaper. I was in my late 30s when I found my thyroid group and learned that my endo didn't really know everything there was to know about thyroid disorders. I was in my 40s before I even had a rudimentary understanding of adrenal fatigue. That's a long time to have unexplained health problems. That's a long time to blindly trust people who don't deserve it.

This is near and dear to my heart. People are harmed by bad medicine. People die. The final stage of adrenal fatigue is death. This isn't some minor health problem that you can go in for a quick round of pills and you're done. People lose jobs, lose houses, lose relationships, and lose their lives, simply because doctors don't understand this illness, don't listen, and don't care. When you have a system that is set up to fail you, all you have are other more experienced patients as your guides. I won't go to the doctor without checking things out online first.

#439 of 2286 Old 01-18-2008, 04:43 PM

Thanks bigeyes! I asked because I suspected I was "self medicating" with alcohol. Even though I don't like the feeling of getting drunk, and I don't like the taste of most alcohol, I tend to respond to stress by drinking (at home, in the evening, rarely so much that I'm hung over). I'm trying to taper off alcohol, but maybe now I know why it's so difficult.

I agree, the Internet has been a huge help to me in researching my symptoms when doctors brush them off. Now I strongly suspect I'm mild hypothyroid with adrenal fatigue (lots of stress in life the last eight years, but it's getting better ), possibly with chronic Lyme. I think the only reason I'm not much worse than I am is that I've been eating mostly whole foods, organic when possible, and hardly any sugar or white flour or vegetable oils. What made me suspect something was wrong was when I gained about thirty pounds AFTER making these dietary changes!
#440 of 2286 Old 01-18-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flutemandolin View Post
Thanks bigeyes! I asked because I suspected I was "self medicating" with alcohol. Even though I don't like the feeling of getting drunk, and I don't like the taste of most alcohol, I tend to respond to stress by drinking (at home, in the evening, rarely so much that I'm hung over). I'm trying to taper off alcohol, but maybe now I know why it's so difficult.

I agree, the Internet has been a huge help to me in researching my symptoms when doctors brush them off. Now I strongly suspect I'm mild hypothyroid with adrenal fatigue (lots of stress in life the last eight years, but it's getting better ), possibly with chronic Lyme. I think the only reason I'm not much worse than I am is that I've been eating mostly whole foods, organic when possible, and hardly any sugar or white flour or vegetable oils. What made me suspect something was wrong was when I gained about thirty pounds AFTER making these dietary changes!
You probably are hypo. I went from super metabolism to super weight gain overnight.

The bad thing about alcohol is, if you use it to get to sleep, it has a nasty habit of waking you up in the middle of the night. That's what makes it bad for AF because we need our sleep to recharge.

AS to the organics, be sure you aren't overloading on soy. Soy suppresses the thyroid, so if you are hypo you are making yourself worse. Google 'soy aliases' to see how many places it's hiding.

#441 of 2286 Old 01-18-2008, 05:12 PM

This is interesting - I completed some tests about 6 months ago when I went to a doctor with a natural approach for my allergies.
I had very low DHEA, I am not sure how they measure that, but here in Norway my DHEA was 1.2 and the range is from 1.7-15.0
She gave me supplements to take:
DHEA
Vitamin c-1000
Zink 50 mg
mulitivitamin
Glutamine powder

What caught my attention was that I don't feel tired, but I do have that "terror anxiety impending doom for no reason" feeling!
I am wondering if I have adrenal fatigue??
#442 of 2286 Old 01-18-2008, 06:42 PM

Panic attacks are common as well. To me, adrenaline rushes feel very much like a panic attack, the urge to flee is so strong, yk?

A lot of people have success with DHEA. I can't take it since it's a precursor to estrogen, and aggravates my migraines, but a lot of people in my adrenals group say they really feel a difference with it.

#443 of 2286 Old 01-18-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
Ashgawanda is helpful, but it's a matter of how much adrenal support you need, and if you are in bad enough shape it may not be enough. Try it and see how you do.

I've used ashgawanda in the past and also adrenal extracts. A lot of people who aren't too far gone have good results with both, but I found that the adrenal extracts just revved up my adrenaline, which was exactly what I didn't need. A lot of people with adrenal fatigue are already running on adrenaline and need cortisol, which is why we take hydrocortisone, and that is why cigarette smoking actually helps, because smoking a cigarette produces cortisol. Note, I am not saying smoking is good, I'm saying that is why so many people who quit smoking suddenly discover they are hypo and/or have adrenal fatigue. They've been masking their symptoms and self-treating without realizing it. Google cigarette smoking and cortisol, you'll find it. (Just in case you think I made this up. )

When people who have adrenal fatigue quit smoking, they crash really hard because of all the cortisol they suddenly are not getting. Then they have adrenaline rushes and become irritable and exhausted and everyone thinks it's just withdrawal from nicotine.

I often say I wish I had known this stuff beforehand, and someone pointed out to me that it sounds victim-like. I don't mean for it to, if anything, I want to save others from going through 20 years of adrenal fatigue wondering what the hell is wrong while doctors misdiagnose and leave you hanging.

I've had adrenal fatigue for at least 20 years, and hypo for over 10. I was diagnosed with hypo maybe 6 years ago and adrenal fatigue 3 years ago. That is a long time to be sick and misdiagnosed or undiagnosed, I think.

I was a victim of the medical community and the pharmaceutical industry, along with big agriculture and the FDA. But the way I take my power back is to expose the things they do that keep women sick. You don't have to be sick for 10 years, or 20 years, before you figure out what is wrong.

Make no mistake. I am not a victim. I am a survivor. I rant, and I rage at the people who grow rich keeping us sick, sure. I'd be an idiot if I wasn't angry. But I make it a point to share every single piece of information I've learned with everyone I can. It's important. Some people think I'm crazy, some think I go overboard, but at least I'm able to get out of bed every day, which is something I haven't been able to do a few times in my life. And if I help even a handful of other women to be survivors too, cool. Why are we allowed to be mamma tigers if someone harms our children, but if someone harms us and we get angry, we're classified as victims? Fight back like a tiger and be a survivor.
Wow, this really speaks to me. I've probably had adrenal fatigue for 15, if not 20 years and I'm only 30. I feel like misdiagnosing doctors have stolen most of my life from me. It makes me incredibly angry. I like how positive "being a survivor" sounds.

<>< Alison
#444 of 2286 Old 01-18-2008, 09:26 PM

http://www.drlam.com/A3R_brief_in_do...ominance.cfm#5

here is some more information on the other hormone relationships that go along with adrenal fatigue. It's way down low, but they finally mention adrenals. Look for 9. Stress Reduction

The article itself is about estrogen dominance, but all of your hormones work together and that is part of the reason it's so hard to get the right treatment. Endos don't usually deal with 'female and male' hormones, and gynos don't deal with thyroid. And almost nobody deals with adrenal issues except for Addison's disease.

#445 of 2286 Old 01-19-2008, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I've used ashgawanda in the past and also adrenal extracts. A lot of people who aren't too far gone have good results with both, but I found that the adrenal extracts just revved up my adrenaline, which was exactly what I didn't need.
Often times it's the B-6 & ginseng in the glandular supplements that cause this feeling of being revved up - there are glandulars that don't have them, or have less of them. I'm sensitive to too much B vitamins as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bente View Post
This is interesting - I completed some tests about 6 months ago when I went to a doctor with a natural approach for my allergies.
I had very low DHEA, I am not sure how they measure that, but here in Norway my DHEA was 1.2 and the range is from 1.7-15.0
She gave me supplements to take:
DHEA
Vitamin c-1000
Zink 50 mg
mulitivitamin
Glutamine powder

What caught my attention was that I don't feel tired, but I do have that "terror anxiety impending doom for no reason" feeling!
I am wondering if I have adrenal fatigue??
My adrenal naturopath said that DHEA supplements can cause masculanizing changes in women therefore, he gives women pregnenolone & men DHEA. I take pregnenolone. Try to get a raw glandular & licorice too if your blood pressure is low.

I had the dread-horror anxiety from summer 2006-summer 2007. It has slowly disappeared!!! In early summer 2006, my cortisol was through the roof, I was a WRECK! By winter of '06/'07, my cortisol was gone, along with my DHEA & sex hormones. I've been taking licorice, pregnenolone, raw glandulars, CLO, vit c & magnesium. The last two I don't take regularly, only when I think about it.

I still have muscle pain, but thank goddess the imending doom-dread horror anxiety is gone! I can't wait to retest one of these days!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#446 of 2286 Old 01-19-2008, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Often times it's the B-6 & ginseng in the glandular supplements that cause this feeling of being revved up - there are glandulars that don't have them, or have less of them. I'm sensitive to too much B vitamins as well.
B6 doesn't give me that same problem. It was the adrenal glandulars.

Quote:
My adrenal naturopath said that DHEA supplements can cause masculanizing changes in women therefore, he gives women pregnenolone & men DHEA. I take pregnenolone. Try to get a raw glandular & licorice too if your blood pressure is low.
Pregnenolone gave me migraines as well.
Quote:
I had the dread-horror anxiety from summer 2006-summer 2007. It has slowly disappeared!!! In early summer 2006, my cortisol was through the roof, I was a WRECK! By winter of '06/'07, my cortisol was gone, along with my DHEA & sex hormones. I've been taking licorice, pregnenolone, raw glandulars, CLO, vit c & magnesium. The last two I don't take regularly, only when I think about it.
magnesium all around rocks. I do a vitamin b2, magnesium, coQ10, melatonin protocol for migraines already. The dhea and pregnenolone at different times both gave me killer migraines even with all of that. When I stopped taking them, I leveled right back off to just menstrual migraines instead of daily ones.
Quote:
I still have muscle pain, but thank goddess the imending doom-dread horror anxiety is gone! I can't wait to retest one of these days!

#447 of 2286 Old 01-19-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:

Thanks for that information. I am going to retest this week and will ask my doctor for pregnenolone rather than DHEA. What exactly is the cause of the panic attacks? Is it the cortisol being too high?

Last week I started taking Wild Yam and stopped because I think it was the cause of this pain I got - sort of high in my stomach and between the shoulderblades.
#448 of 2286 Old 01-19-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that information. I am going to retest this week and will ask my doctor for pregnenolone rather than DHEA. What exactly is the cause of the panic attacks? Is it the cortisol being too high?

Last week I started taking Wild Yam and stopped because I think it was the cause of this pain I got - sort of high in my stomach and between the shoulderblades.
I believe it is the adrenaline that causes the panic attacks.

#449 of 2286 Old 01-19-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I believe it is the adrenaline that causes the panic attacks.
That makes sense. Does my body release too much adrenaline at the wrong time because my hormones are wacky?
#450 of 2286 Old 01-19-2008, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What exactly is the cause of the panic attacks? Is it the cortisol being too high?
That's what our adrenals are for, dealing with stress, pumping out stress hormones, keepinng our hormones level. If they're compromised, they aren't going to be able to help our bodies handle stress. Normally, with healthy adrenals, you encounter a stress, you react & it subsides relatively immediately. When our adrenals aren't functioning optimally, the stress just continues, spiraling out of control & further depleting our adrenals - it's a vicious cycle really.

Bigeyes, I wonder if the DHEA & pregnenolone gave you migraines because your body just converted it all to estrogen? I betcha!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page