THE Adrenal Fatigue Thread - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 2286 Old 01-25-2008, 01:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, that's so true -- why not test it? I know they say that giving prisoners prozac makes the number of fights go down. Why not treat the adrenals?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#482 of 2286 Old 01-25-2008, 08:54 PM

Today My chiro suggested I add a few things to what I'm taking.
natural change progesterone cream
DHEA
nutriwest DSF formula

I'm still overwhelmed and unsure of who to listen to.
I'm going to try and read through this thread again and see if there are references to the things I'm supposed to take.
#483 of 2286 Old 01-25-2008, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancemakes5 View Post
Today My chiro suggested I add a few things to what I'm taking.
natural change progesterone cream
DHEA
nutriwest DSF formula

I'm still overwhelmed and unsure of who to listen to.
I'm going to try and read through this thread again and see if there are references to the things I'm supposed to take.
Hi Amy, I'm not sure what test you took - each lab has different ranges of normal. Can you post the reference ranges on your result page?

As far as the suplements go - I'd start with one at a time & wait at least a week before adding a new one. If one of them doesn't work for you, you'll have a hard time figuring it out if you start 3 or 5 new things at once. The first glandular I started with kept me up at night & it took me a week to figure it out & that was all that I was taking.

Also, I think I'd take eithe rthe DHEA OR the progesterone, but not both. I'm not a doctor, but I do know that DHEA is converted by our bodies into sex hormones - it might direct yours right into progesterone, so you wouldn't need two supps of progesterone, so to speak.

My ND & most other docs who treat AF prefer to use pregnenolone in women & DHEA in men as DHEA can have masculanizing affects on women, including rage. Pregnenolone is the first hormone that our bodies make out of cholesterol. It can then be turned into whatever we need, or, in some cases, things we *don't* need - everybody's body reacts differently. ANother reason to start with one thing at a time.

How do you take your licorice? I always mixed mine with a bit of boiling water & then filled it up with raw milk, but I'm off of dairy right now so I haven't been taking it. : I need to figure out a new way to take it because I think it really helps with the BP.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#484 of 2286 Old 01-25-2008, 11:56 PM

Yes your licorice drink sounded so good to me, but I have a terrible intolerance to dairy. It makes my bones and joints ache terribly and I have congestion as well as deal with IBS issues.

Here are my results from ZRT Laboratory

in range out of range

estradiol <.5 pg/ml 1.3-3.3 premenopausal
progesterone 22L pg/ml 75-270
ratio Pg/E2 44L Optimal 100-500 when E2 1.3-3.3
Testosterone 19 pg/ml 16-66 age dependent
DHEAS 2.8 ng/ml 2-23 age dependent
cortisol morning 4.7 ng/ml 3.7-9.5
cortisol noon .8L ng/ml 1.2-3.0
cortisol evening 0.9 ng/ml 0.6-1.9
cortisol night 0.4 ng/ml 0.4-1.0

SO far I'm feeling worse which is odd to me because I had been feeling so good. I've got those terrble muscle aches/cramps that coma and go and I keep having that low blood sugar trembling feeling, like my chest is thumping and I have been having the catch my breath palpitation feelings.

I'm hoping it's just me getting used to the supplements.
I take my licorice with icewater, yuck, it's awful, but I'm getting used to it.

The HMF powder is different, it tasted ok, I try not to taste it at all.
It's supposed to be the good bacteria that makes it's own colonies.

I've heard more good about rhodiola. It's another adaptogen. The woman who works at my health center has taken it with excellent results and I truly trust her judgement. I know we're all different, but I'm going to take it tomorrow while my hubby is home.

Hope everyone else has a wonderful weekend. I've been feeling well enough to sled with the kiddos, but I don't think I'll do that for a while now.
#485 of 2286 Old 01-26-2008, 05:43 PM
pia

I have been reading this thread with great interest for a week now. Although I haven´t been to the doctor yet, I think I can tick off just about all the symptoms on the list.

I have basically had 4 stressful years: 2 big moves, commuting between Asia/Europe, dh living away/traveling for 3 years, mum, 2 grandmothers, cat died, ds gluten intolerant, friend almost commits suicide....the list could go on in detail! Ugh.

I feel lucky that I have a very low-stress life in general. We unschool and I don´t really have any particular commitments of sorts. But I think all of these other stresses have just kind of toppled me a bit.

I actually feel worse since reading this thread but I think it´s basically because I am more aware of how I feel.
Before I would just kind of "keep going".

Will be following this thread. :
#486 of 2286 Old 01-26-2008, 10:04 PM

I read up on Rhoidola and spoke to a few folks who have used it and i have heard only good things. I heard to start at 100mg and see how it feels to you. The recommended dosage is 200mg a day but some people get jittery off of this. ALso take only in the morning and early afternoon. I read that this is good for PTSD which i am finally thinking is what i have.

I took my first Rhodiola today. I actually split a 100mg and started at around 50. I of course had a panic attack upon taking it because i freak myself out about taking anything.I breathed through it and was fine. I reminded myself that i have to start doing something to get better.I'm not certain i felt any different, more focused and energetic i believe. I did read to wait 3 days for full results. So i will keep trying at 50mg for 3 days and see how it goes. I am waiting to get into a ND right now so i can take the saliva tests.
#487 of 2286 Old 01-28-2008, 02:32 PM

I registered again becasue that was an older account and I don't remember the password, lol.(my dh updated my laptop and wiped it clean so I have to remember passwords now)

It was chancemakes5

So I have been experiencing hypoglycemia.
Last night was the worst it's been yet.

I was pouring sweat and trembling so bad.
I felt like my thinking was fuzzy.

I'm not sure what to do when this happens. It happens at night on occasion and in the evening alot.
My naturopath has not addressed this as part of my adrenal fatigue.

I will say I have never experienced anything so frighteneing, it might just be worse to me than an anxiety attack.
I felt like I was dying.

mama to five :
#488 of 2286 Old 01-28-2008, 09:02 PM

I have been taking the rhodiola now and haven't really felt much different. I've also been taking the HMF powder and oddly have had loose stools everyday since, sorry for the TMI. The licorice root powder has been going down more smoothly.

I have a question about low blood sugar.

What is the best thing to grab and eat.
I get the night lows. So low I tremble and sweat and feel dizzy and perhaps like I'm going to pass out, which is odd since I'm trying to sleep.

mama to five :
#489 of 2286 Old 01-28-2008, 09:07 PM

I grab a handful of almonds, string cheese or pieces of turkey for my low blood sugar. I always make sure to eat as soon as i wake up too.
#490 of 2286 Old 01-29-2008, 12:07 AM

It's really better to prevent low blood sugar, but if you have an attack, I find those "carob energy nuggets" they sell in bulk in the natural section of the grocery store (or in Whole Foods) are good to have. They have honey as a sweetener, which seems more mellow to me. Generally, you want to eat every 2-3 hours, and make sure you have protein with whatever you eat.

#491 of 2286 Old 01-29-2008, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

That's worrisome that you're hypoglycemia symptoms are getting worse instead of better - I think it's worth a call to your ND to find out if it could be one of the supplements.

I don't have hypoglycemia symptoms anymore (woot!) but when I did, I'd eat a lot of salty, crispy (NT) nuts. Salt is so crucial to healing the adrenals. At my worst, I would get the shakes over any little amount of stress. I'd get lightheaded to the point of being afraid to drive. It was really scary.

It looks like your progesterone is pretty low - what about a progesterone supp? Did your ND mention it? Mine was really low too but my ND prefers to directly treat the adrenals. I am taking pregnenolone though, which should be converted into progesterone if need be.
Your DHEA is also pretty low.
Your noon cortisol was a bit low, but the others weren't too bad.

I think you've probably figured all of that out , just throwing in my 2 unprofessional cents.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#492 of 2286 Old 01-29-2008, 12:48 AM

Actually I have been looking forward to hearing your 2 cents.

I don't really understand the hormone testing.

I'm confused as to why she didn't really put me on anything directly to heal the adrenals.

Yes I'm worried that one of the supplements she gave me may be casuing the low blood sugar. I hadn't had an episode for weeks.

What would you ask for given my test results and what would you do?

I think I'm pretty overwhelmed with the whole situation as well as the large family I have that is at this moment causing me high stress, lol.

I do not want to get the anxiety attacks back either and that's how I felt all day today. Sort of high strung or tightly wound.

SO my cortisol doesn't look too bad, but it's the other hormones?

I'm not a complete idiot, I do have some knowledge of certain things, but this just throws me for a loop.
I appreciate all you've said already. I'll always appreciate your 2 cents, thank you. With very little family and few friends now that I"m a sahm, I've been scared and feeling a bit discouraged the last week.

mama to five :
#493 of 2286 Old 01-29-2008, 11:25 AM
pia

Anyone else feel irritated by reading what the Mayo clinic has to say about adrenal fatigue? :
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/adr...atigue/AN01583
#494 of 2286 Old 01-29-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pia View Post
Anyone else feel irritated by reading what the Mayo clinic has to say about adrenal fatigue? :

: Yes, because it's not backed behind their science and their theories to be used by their medicines, it's not real and it can't be fixed. Yet let's focus on depression and fibromialgia as the real issue so we can pump people up with drugs to mask symptoms instead of finding the leading cause and fixing it.
: AAAAAAAAnnnnd we all know that our symptoms are "all in our heads"...so must take drugs to suppress what we think we are feeling, because what we think we are feeling isn't real : AAAAAAAAAand there is nothing we can do about it, except take brain altering dugs that suppress our brains ability to recognize when our body is in poor health and needs repairing through nutrition, exercise, alterations or other natural means.

Our bodies are screaming out to us to take care of it, and we are listening, even if they [allopaths and those that worship them] aren't.

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#495 of 2286 Old 01-29-2008, 01:24 PM

Any symptoms largely dealt with by a female population will be poo-poo'd and treated as if they can gaslight you. It is pretty much de rigeur.

Particularly if they can treat all women's symptoms as if they are "in the head" or "hysterical" or gaslight you in general and make money and gain power by doing it. Or if it means that they can ignore you so you are less work and leave them alone.
#496 of 2286 Old 01-29-2008, 01:35 PM

This is pretty much what I was told yesterday when I went to the clinic.
I felt like I needed to go in with the low blood sugar, otherwise I would have waited to see my naturopath.
This doc I saw pretty much told me adrenal fatigue does not exist. He said adrenal insufficiency used to happen with people who had TB, but it is extremely rare, Yep, I felt like I was in the dark ages with some of the things he said. He also told me all the testing like for allergies and the saliva tests are all scams. As is the special foods. I felt like he was mocking me the whole visit.

He did however say that I had low potassium which is also very rare and perhaps I did have an adrenal issue so would I come in for a blood draw at 8 am? I did. I go back at 4 for the night cortisol. Just to see what he'll say next.

mama to five :
#497 of 2286 Old 01-29-2008, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pia View Post
What bugs me is that they poopoo the idea of it, but don't offer any conventional treatments - they just plain poopoo it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewillow View Post
This is pretty much what I was told yesterday when I went to the clinic.
I felt like I needed to go in with the low blood sugar, otherwise I would have waited to see my naturopath.
This doc I saw pretty much told me adrenal fatigue does not exist. He said adrenal insufficiency used to happen with people who had TB, but it is extremely rare, Yep, I felt like I was in the dark ages with some of the things he said. He also told me all the testing like for allergies and the saliva tests are all scams. As is the special foods. I felt like he was mocking me the whole visit.

He did however say that I had low potassium which is also very rare and perhaps I did have an adrenal issue so would I come in for a blood draw at 8 am? I did. I go back at 4 for the night cortisol. Just to see what he'll say next.
Waitaminute, you're doing blood tests, not saliva? I thought your results above were saliva test results...

#498 of 2286 Old 01-29-2008, 02:28 PM

I did the saliva testing all through the natural health where my naturopathic dr is.
Yesterday I had not slept all night the night before with low blood sugar and was very sick so I dragged myself to the clinic yesterday morning because I was so sick and scared.
The reg doc there did not belive that I have the adrenal/hormone issues, even thought I took in my test results with me.
HE said saliva testing means nothing.
He wanted to have me do a blood test.

So to please him and all of my family that has been making me feel like crap,( like I'm a fool for believing in all the allergy testing and this as well) I went in for the blood test this morning and I go back at 4 for the other one. Cortisol and hormones.
I haven't had a blood test until today, Only saliva.
Perhaps I will feel better also with the blood test. Confirmation.

I just talked to my naturopathic dr a few minutes ago and she said my adrenals must be shot if I'm having low blood sugar symptoms that are that severe. That was pretty blunt of her, but I thought my cortisol was actually not all that bad. I don't think I really understand.
She asked if I'm taking anything that might have chromium in it.

I know I'm suffering and I don't like to be told I'm perfectly healthy. Like a person with 5 children would be sick on purpose and miss out on precious time with her family. Give me a break.

And they never did adress the low blood sugar issue yesterday at that clinic. I know nothing about numbers. They tested me and it was 84.
They never said a word about it. I hope that was normal. I had some mango orange juice before I went.

mama to five :
#499 of 2286 Old 01-29-2008, 04:09 PM

I think perhaps I"ve gotten myself all stressed out and worked up.

In the beginning I was going to a wellness center. The RN(Jane) I was seeing had "cured" herself of cancer as well as many other people of various ailments.
She was convinced I was suffering from EBV. ( blood testing showed that I had recently had the virus) my whole family tested positive too)

I began taking many supplements including cats claw, co-Q10, epa-dhea, a vitmamin liquid, circulation factors, n-acetly cysteine, etc... and she is the one who told me to eliminte wheat as well as many other foods. This was before I had the allergy testing.
I started feeling better and slowly the symptoms subsided. SOme remained, but the worst ones like the panic attacks and menieres were gone, unless I ate preservatives. My body no longer hurt unles I ate cheese or preservatives.

She could never tell me why I got a tightness of throat. I would also still get the low blood sugar feeling.
This is her http://www.willtree.com/jane.htm

I wanted to have some testing done so I went to a naturopath who offered the testing. I didn't realize they would then give me supplements too.
So I spoke with Jane about all of this and she told me she would rather not have too may hands in the pot and would not treat me if I was seeing someone else.. This makes perfect sense to me.

However I still had no diagnosis that I really believed. So I kept having testing done until I got one. Now I have the adrenal issue.

My concern is that now I don't know who to listen to and which supplements to take. They both made sense, yet they didn't agree with one another.
I've gotten myslef confused and I think it's making me anxious.
I feel like I've lost my own ability to judge what is best for me becasue it has been such a stressful situation that hasd gone on for two years. Perhpas I"m just at the end of my rope. I'm trying to think positive, but the uncertainty keeps butting in.
If you've made it this far , thank you.

mama to five :
#500 of 2286 Old 01-29-2008, 05:11 PM

just wanted to wish you good luck and it is NOT all in your head.

Fruit juices aren't friendly to hypoglycemics- It causes the blood sugar to spike. If you have it I'd mix just a few ounces in a smoothie with some coconut oil or yogurt etc or a few ounces in sparkling water.

try eating low carb snacks instead, whatever you aren't allergic to.

btw, your morning cortisol is not optimal even though it isn't officially low, and your midday is low of course. It seems like your naturopath should skip the supplements or complement them with some hydrocortisone (cortisol replacement) IMHO. you might want to read the archives at the stop the thyroid madness website under the adrenals section. There is a ton of info there.

DD keeps bringing home cooties from kindergarten and taking me and my toddler out.... I'm struggling through another cold and boy is this winter hitting me hard since we moved back to the midwest. I guess I need more vitamin D. I need to remember to take my fish oils. I am exhausted at under 9 or 9 1/2 hours of sleep. yuck.

I go back to my dr. in about 3 weeks and if my thyroid is still suboptimal i'm going to ask her for some natural thyroid replacement and see if I can gradually wean off the cortisol that she started me on two months ago. I feel like it's not enough on it's own and I want to see if my own cortisol kicks in once my thyroid is better supported.... My stress is at home isn't going to go away anytime soon so I need to work with supporting my health through it I guess.

I definitely think there's something to the childhood abuse, etc. I grew up in a very dysfunctional setting with tons of fighting and yelling and anxiety, migraines, etc. I think I was in flight or fight for so long that I burned out my adrenals before I hit college!

Be back later.... Kelly
#501 of 2286 Old 01-30-2008, 01:24 AM

What bugs me is that they call depression and fibro treatable conditions -- when really they mean druggable, since none of the conventional allopathic "treatments" cause the "conditions" to be cured. Just more fodder for big pharma, I guess. They want people to be on medications for life because they want to keep making money off them. To actually heal someone so they could live a normal life -- ha! Where's the money there?

#502 of 2286 Old 01-30-2008, 07:04 PM

I would like to voice my opinion on the rhodiola I was taking.

I took it for a week and the whole time I felt like I was on speed. It was terrible. It was supposed to give me more energy, but it made me have a rushing feeling in my chest and I could never relax.

I stopped and can feel the difference already. Whew!!!

I'm considering taking raw adrenal.

Today I am truly disgusted by the garbage we are forced to eat, breathe, and wear. It's frustrating when you know you have to be the one to make a difference. If I could only get my friends and family to listen to me about the changes that need to be made.
I wish I could make more of a difference myself.
Ok, rant over.

mama to five :
#503 of 2286 Old 01-31-2008, 01:22 AM

I went to the U. of Minnesota and learned a lot about the Mayo Clinic. I have a high regard for the doctors there, especially the care they take to get things right. They're not just "drug mongers" nor do they jump on bandwagons. I always think the truth is somewhere in-between for those conditions that are not yet well understood.

I recommend Natural Factors' folic acid, 1 mg/day (separately, not in a multi vitamin) for all of my clients, and have had excellent feedback, especially for depression, anxiety or fatigue.
#504 of 2286 Old 01-31-2008, 01:44 PM

I have been having some issues that are really frightening along with the episodes of low blood sugar and foggy brain.
I've had irrational thoughts that don't seem mine.
It was pretty horrible last night and I finally had a break down.
I think with my lack of a support group and no family or friends I've really started to lose my faith in getting better.
Are strange thoughts a normal part of this illness. I have felt like I'm not myself anymore. It's almost as if someone else is in my brain.
Yep, I've completely lost it.

Is there another forum for hormones being out of whack.

I'm still waiting on the blood tests for thyroid and cortisol.

The palpitations have also come back and they are no fun either.

I was feeling so good.

Now I have no idea what to take and what to avoid. I am so incredbily sensitive at this point. To everything. IS adrenal fatigue what has causewd my food allergies and intolerances.
How do you cope. How do you push aside the thoughts that you are crazy.

mama to five :
#505 of 2286 Old 01-31-2008, 01:51 PM

nm double post

mama to five :
#506 of 2286 Old 02-05-2008, 04:59 PM

My dr office called and said my blood tests for cortisol, thyroid, vit D came back perfectly normal.
I have yet to drive over there and grab the results to see what they said.

At this point I am just disgusted with everyone I've seen.

I've gotten Dr wilsons book and am considering his supplements.

Glad to have gotten the rhodiola out of my system at last.

I also did the am and Pm cortisols while on licorice root, I'm thinking that was not a good thing.

mama to five :
#507 of 2286 Old 02-05-2008, 05:42 PM

For little willow: If you feel comfortable, please email me at tmdeangelis@gmail.com. I have a very worthy resource for you that will give you brilliant and caring FREE adrenal advice. I also want to share with you the relatively inexpensive product I've been taking that has blessed me with a quick "180" (my twin sister also suffering Adrenal issues just started taking the same complex and her "scary" episodes are now behind her as well). I empathize and sympathize greatly. It took me 10+ years to finally get solid answers and help. As a result, I am now also obtaining my Doctoral degree in Natural Medicine to give back and hopefully do it more as a "ministry" and notsomuch a "paying job". By the way, the Adrenal Complex I want to share with you has been perfectly safe while I've nursed my daughter (still nursing). Hope to hear from you. God bless you, dear!!
#508 of 2286 Old 02-05-2008, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewillow View Post
My dr office called and said my blood tests for cortisol, thyroid, vit D came back perfectly normal.
I have yet to drive over there and grab the results to see what they said.

At this point I am just disgusted with everyone I've seen.

I've gotten Dr wilsons book and am considering his supplements.

Glad to have gotten the rhodiola out of my system at last.

I also did the am and Pm cortisols while on licorice root, I'm thinking that was not a good thing.
I wouldn't trust the blood tests.

#509 of 2286 Old 02-05-2008, 11:54 PM

Some things to remember about tests-

'normal' ranges don't mean a thing. plenty of people feel like crap with 'normal' ranges for thyroid.

if they tested your cortisol by having you pee all night and save it, then they did an average, it doesn't mean squat. If they only tested your cortisol once, it doesn't mean squat. Some people have varying levels of cortisol, and you can be low in the AM and high in the PM.

Get your numbers and research how to interpret them, go to some groups for help. Did they happen to test your ferratin levels? IIRC you need fairly high ferratin levels for proper thyroid function.

What kind of a doctor did you see?

for intuitive readings click here :
#510 of 2286 Old 02-06-2008, 11:56 PM

I typed out a reply a couple of days ago and then lost it so I'll try again, lol

I saw a regular doc at a clinic. I went there with the low blood sugar scare.
I handed him my adrenal fatigue saliva test and he said he did not believe it and set up appt's for an am and pm cortisol as well as vit d and thyroid.

His office called Sat morning and said all tests came back normal and the cortisol was perfect.

This is the second or third time I've done blood cortisol testing for am and pm.

I think I need to take a break and educate myself on all of this rather than begging everyone else for a diagnosis or a cure.

Right now the worst thing I'm suffering with is the Gerd or vocal cord dysfunction which ever one it happens to be or not be.
Everyday I struggle to breathe clearly and deeply. My throat always feels tight and full. Sometimes I feel like I've got something stuck in my throat or like my throat is going to close.
It was on and off for a year and now it's constant.
My chiro tells me I have a hiatal hernia.
I do "burp" alot and I already eliminated all the offending foods, raised the elevation of the head of my bed, etc...

I'm considering trying the prescription ppi's. It's getting worse and it IS affecting my quality of life. In a BIG BIG way.

So here it is layed out.

Adrenal Fatigue-possibly-----hormones and low blood sugar issues
Gerd or vocal cord dysfunction-causing me serious anxiety

I cannot live my life as I used to. It is all consuming trying to breathe and having no muscle strength to do anything.

I keep wishing I could just not think about it and I honestly try to do that and then it hits me and knocks me down.

I hat for this to seem like I'm having a pity party, but I am sick of this and doctors telling me absolutely while I sit here trying to suck in air and my kids looking longingly at the lady who used to play with them and take them places.

If I were to get into a research hospital, which one would you suggest trying. I live in Idaho, but am willing to go where I need to go to get back to normal.

ETA IS there a Gerd/ acid reflux thread?

mama to five :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page