THE Adrenal Fatigue Thread - Page 27 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#781 of 2288 Old 04-23-2008, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
Had an AWESOME 1st appointment (1.5 hours long!). I can't believe I've put this off for 4 years. I was on cloud 9 all day long. I finally feel I'm getting somewhere.

Anyway, here are her recommendations for my adrenal fatigue (low a.m cortisol, high testosterone), thyroid health (not currently hypo but have strong family history and postpartum thyroiditis after both previous pregnancies) and keep in mind I'm also currently pregnant and nursing.

1. Maca root -powder or tea form ; at least 1x daily, more if needed, said I should feel energetic very soon with this, even that same day

2. Superneurogen DHA - 1 cap/day

3. Flaxseed Oil 1 tbsp/day

4. Scorbatate by Genestra 1/4 tsp 3 x/day (or Ester-C by SISU 3000mg/day)

5. Nettle Tea (high in Calcium, iron, etc) 1 cup/day

6. Rose Hip Tea (high in Vit. C) -doesnt' say how much.

7. Licorice Root Tea 1 cup every 2-3 days (usually it's 1-3 times per DAY, this rec. was b/c I am pregnant..I have *very* low blood pressure though, so she was not worried about the safety of it while preg. since it was low I could use a boost anyway)

8. Blue green algae OR Kelp Supplement (said to follow directions on bottle)

9. Dulse flakes or actual seaweed (again said to follow directions on bottle)

10. B vitamins (waiting on an email back for the dose)

She also recommended I go on a 7-14 day cleanse and reintroduce dairy, she thinks this is causing my constipation (sorry TMI) since I'm already gluten-free.

She gave me a smoothie recipe to make daily as well:
1 cup fruit
1 tbsp flax seed oil
1-2 tbsps hempseeds
1/2-1tsp maca powder
dates/honey for sweetening
almond or rice milk

She said I should also take acidophilus in a few months, wanted to give my gut more time to heal (Celiac) first and also evening primrose oil especially in the last month of pregnancy to help with PPD.

Sorry I wrote a novel I just hope this will help someone out. I literally sat in my car afterward and cried tears of happiness and just thanked God over and over. It was such a great experience. Finally, someone who will listen!

I'll be seeing her again in a month to follow up..

HTH someone!!!
Where did yo u get all of that at? I need to order new supplements and would like to get them all in one place.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#782 of 2288 Old 04-23-2008, 02:08 PM

I ordered most of it from www.iherb.com their prices are awesome!

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#783 of 2288 Old 04-23-2008, 03:06 PM

what do you take for your AF if you are self medicating (vitamins, herbs, physical activity, diet changes)

I am not sure my doc will ever find anything 'wrong' with me, but I have to do something. I don't have the money to get that $100 saliva test or to go to a naturopath, so I need to start self-medicating (for lack of a better way of saying it) so that I can take care of myself since NOTHING is showing up as being out of the normal. I'm sick of the blood tests and co-pays!

what do you do?
#784 of 2288 Old 04-24-2008, 06:18 PM

Hi! It is me from post #773. I've now managed to get a hold of my lab results (16 pages long). I'm not sure what all we want to look at, so I thought I'd start off with some hormones (drawn on 2/6/08 around 5 pm):

Test / Unit / Reference Range / Result:

Free T4, NG/DL ( 0.8 - 1.8) = 0.8
Free T3, PG/ML (2.3 - 4.2) = 2.8
TSH, UIU/ML (0.27 - 4.20) = 1.20
DHEA, UG/DL (40.0 - 500.0) = 46.4
Cortisol Total, UG/DL (0.00 - 63.0) = 4.5

Thanks for any help you can offer!
#785 of 2288 Old 04-24-2008, 07:25 PM

Hi! It is me from post #773. I've now managed to get a hold of my lab results (16 pages long). I'm not sure what all we want to look at, so I thought I'd start off with some hormones (drawn on 2/6/08):

Test / Unit / Reference Range / Result:

Free T4, NG/DL ( 0.8 - 1.8) = 0.8
Free T3, PG/ML (2.3 - 4.2) = 2.8
TSH, UIU/ML (0.27 - 4.20) = 1.20
DHEA, UG/DL (40.0 - 500.0) = 46.4
Cortisol Total, UG/DL (0.00 - 63.0) = 4.5

Thanks for any help you can offer!
#786 of 2288 Old 04-29-2008, 01:50 AM

Hi mamas, I want to order a saliva test but I had a miscarriage at 18wks 3dys about 2.5 weeks ago. I can feel my thyroid going crazy like it always does in the postpartum period. I have been reading on some other adrenal fatigue/thyroid boards and was suggested that I should wait a while before doing the saliva test until my hormones settle down from the pregnancy to give a more accurate picture. How long would you wait? Or would you wait at all?
#787 of 2288 Old 04-29-2008, 10:45 AM

this stuff looks promising - does anyone take this?

Super Adrenal Stress Formula
Formulated by Dr. James L. Wilson
#788 of 2288 Old 04-29-2008, 01:29 PM

: Jumping in here and have not read this GIANT thread yet.

Yesterday I went to a chiro for the very first time and my x-ray showed decalcification on my thyroid.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with this that can tell me what this means (or may mean) to me.

I did a google search and well, yk how that goes. Mostly doom and gloom. And I sure as heck aren't going to go running to the regular doc for all kinds of tests, biopsies, etc.

Thanks mamas.
#789 of 2288 Old 05-10-2008, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How's everyone doing? I've stayed offline for the past couple of weeks & it's been a nice break. I feel so much better, mentally & physically, when I avoid the 'puter.

I've been doing some serious power-walking the past few days & it feels good! I don't get lightheaded at all!

I've *finally* gained back all of my weight since Ds was born 26 months ago - I'm even a few pounds over my highest weight!

OH!!! And I *finally* got my cycles back!!! I was simultaneously dreading the return & also looking forward to it, wondering if it would help my hormones to level out. My ND has been anxious for my cycle to return, so he must think that it will help me feel better. It wasn't even that bad! Little to no cramping, bleeding was minimal & not long - I hope it stays this way! But the ovulation, holy crapamole - my body is WANTING to make a baby! All of my kids are almost exactly 3 years apart & Ds is 26 months, all were conceived in the spring, so my body is wondering what I'm waiting for. But....I know I need to heal before I can even think about whether or not another baby is in my future.

Hope all of you are enjoying the spring weather & feeling good!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#790 of 2288 Old 05-11-2008, 11:58 PM

I try to take breaks too. It really does help.
I know what you mean about ovulating, I'm right now and my body is very achy(sp?). But I need to wait to. I have to get surgery to remove my tori under my tongue, and need to heal my adrenals/thyroid first.
I am really looking forward to being pregnant and in much better condition. I'm also really excited to give birth again, as crazy as it sounds.
#791 of 2288 Old 05-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Banned

bumping
#792 of 2288 Old 05-25-2008, 11:11 AM

I have AF and I am wondering about symptoms that everyone has. Does anyone else get tingling in hands and feet and joint pain? The tingling seems somewhat related to my hypoglycemia, but it persists even if I eat right, but the joint pain is new (it's minor pain, not incapacitating). I also get muscle weakness and weakness/numbness in my pinky. My ND said that I look like I might be deficient in B12, but not enough to have any symptoms from it. Since my hypo is more or less under control and I still have the tingling I was thinking that maybe I do have symptoms from B12 def. Anyway, just curious. These symptoms drive me nuts. I haven't had a chance to go through all those posts yet...
#793 of 2288 Old 05-25-2008, 11:31 AM

Joint pain is very common in Adrenal Fatigue.

The tingling you describe is also very common in B12 deficiency.

Symptoms of B12 Deficiency..

Do you know what your levels were?

A healthy range for an adult is 800 - 1000.
#794 of 2288 Old 05-25-2008, 11:53 AM

Thanks for your two cents Frannie. It's good to know that the joint pain is normal for AF. The thing that's weird is that I didn't notice it until after I started on Isocort.

I didn't have any levels taken for B12, but I know my results for the cortisol/DHEA. I'm in zone 5 for that. My ND had me do a CBC and metabolic panel and could tell by looking at those results that I'm probably deficient in B12. He's on vacation for 2 weeks, so we'll figure out what to do when he comes back. For now I'm taking my dessicated liver tablets to see if that helps. Frankly I would like to try B12 shots and see if that improves anything. It's the only thing that makes sense to me at this point.
#795 of 2288 Old 05-25-2008, 12:06 PM

How's your thyroid?

I agree the B12 shots are best.
If you don't want to wait til MD gets back you could start some sublingual 5000 mcg methylcobalamin (b-12) - maybe 1k at a time 5 x's daily? Just watch out for thyroid dumps if you are hypo b/c B12 can help the body absorb thyroid hormone better.

When you can, if I were you, I would want to get actual lab results for:
B12
Ferritin
sodium
potassium
aldosterone

how was your DHEA?
sex hormones?

All these things get out of whack with flagging adrenals and all can cause joint pain.
It's quite a puzzle!
#796 of 2288 Old 05-25-2008, 12:20 PM

I was thinking about possible doing more labs, like you said. I'm just going to wait until he gets back to do anything else. 2 weeks isn't really that long to wait.

My DHEA was low, morning cortisol was normal, the rest were all low. He didn't test for sex hormones. Sodium and potassiium were normal, but on the low end of normal. No aldosterone, ferritin, or B12.

I've been reading a lot about B12 and I'm shocked at how many people are deficient! I really hope that's what's going on. If I could get rid of the tingly stuff I might actually feel 'normal'ish.
#797 of 2288 Old 05-25-2008, 12:36 PM

Yeah, B12 deficiencies are really common - especially in childbearing women with metabolic disorders.

You may find you need to address other adrenal hormones - not just cortisol.

Symptoms of DHEA deficiency may include persisting fatigue,
depression, anxiety, hypersensitivity to noise, loss of libido,
dry eyes, skin, and hair, loss of head hair, axial (armpit)
hair, and pubic hair.

And of course DHEA levels effect sex hormones.

If you do have low aldosterone it is common for symptoms to appear once you are stabilized on cortisol replacement so I would watch for that.

Aldosterone, controls the balance of sodium and potassium. Low aldosterone can result in low blood pressure and high pulse due to lower blood volume from lack of sodium. Other symptoms include muscle twitches and even cardiac arrhythmias (heart palpitations). Aldosterone inhibits the level of sodium excreted into the urine, controlling the vital balance of electrolytes. People with low aldosterone sufferer from “Salt Wasting”, a medical term describing sodium leaving the body. When sodium is excreted it takes water with it, causing frequent urination and dehydration.
#798 of 2288 Old 05-25-2008, 12:46 PM

Wow Frannie, thanks for all the great info! I didn't know all of that. How do you know all this?
#799 of 2288 Old 05-25-2008, 12:55 PM

I'm SO GLAD to have found this thread! I've been off-line here for the most part for a few months...just getting back into the swing of things and it is AWESOME to know that I'm not alone with adrenal fatigue!

About me:
Mom of 2--5yo dd, 18mo ds (homebirth!! yay)
I felt 'crazy'...like I couldn't control my exhaustion/irritability/anger. So I went to a naturopath...among other food sensitivities etc, she noticed adrenal fatigue and mentioned pure encapsulations. I consider it a wonder drug...I feel normal now. HOWEVER...I think it is like anti depressants in a way--some days I will forget to take the pills, or feel I don't need it...I'm 'fine now'...then 2-3 days go by and I become a holy terror to my family. I really act boarderline abusive (verbally) and resort to slamming doors (the anger side) or I have evenings where I slur my words I'm so tired (exhaustion). I also wake up feeling exhausted even after 10hrs of sleep (or 6 or 8 etc).
I'm on pure encapsulations adrenal formula...and taking prenatals
I'm nursing almost exclusively...ds eats some carbs, some fruits, but mostly bm.
I just got my first period back this month. I haven't noticed much more changes with that other than like a previous poster I have noticed a bit more sex drive (my body says it's ok to make another baby...but my brain isn't quite there yet! hahahah)

I get annoyed that people say I'm too busy or that I don't get enough sleep...I actually feel I get enough sleep and am sometimes even LAZY! (as lazy as a mom can be)... I feel I have a pretty good diet...but I was under the impression that salt was not my friend...although I am a self-proclaimed salt-aholic...

I have tried to exercise...but my body is just too tired most of the times. EVEN with the pills (which are bovine adrenals_

SO...I will go back and read through all of these posts...I'm so glad I'm not alone!
#800 of 2288 Old 05-25-2008, 05:00 PM

Hmmm...I remember looking at this thread along time ago, but didn't keep up with it. I am going to the Dr Tue to have my thyroid checked, finally. I am now starting to wonder if I should have other things checked too.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#801 of 2288 Old 05-25-2008, 09:38 PM

I just finished reading the.whole.thread. It made me tired- took me two days. LOL It's amazing to me how quite a few posts sound like I could have written them myself.

So, in 2006 I had severe symptoms of adrenal exhaustion, down to the anxiety attacks, extreme cold, hair loss, blacking out when standing and bright pink clown cheeks Dr. Rind talks about on his website. My adrenals crashed when I was diagnosed as celiac and came off of gluten. On Dr. Rind's matrix, I fit adrenal and have only a couple mixed symptoms and no thyroid symptoms.

So it's been almost 2 years since I went off of gluten. I still have symptoms of AF, but not nearly so severe as it was summer 2006. So tonight I ordered the Canary Club combo kit from ZRT. I found a local chiropractor who can help interpret it and get me on the right supplements. I joined the adrenals yahoo group, and if we don't get good help locally we will go see Dr. Rind in DC.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#802 of 2288 Old 05-26-2008, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
KerryAnn, you & I were sisters of misery in the summer of '06, eh? That was when the sh@t hit the fan for me too, my poor adrenals bit the dust.

My first ASI, in early March of '07, showed no gluten antibodies. In January of '08, I did skin allergy testing & gluten came up mildly (they said I should rotate it.) Then I did my second ASI in March of '08 & had quite a reaction to gluten this time around.

I'm now gluten free but haven't noticed a difference. I don't have any obvious reactions to any of the foods - I had to completely eliminate tomatoes, kidney beans, cauliflower, green peas, pork & turkey - but didn't have any noticeable reactions back when I was eating them, 6 months ago. My only complaint, other than the adrenal symptoms of chronic achey muscles, occasional joint pain & occasional fatigue & brain fog is THE ITCHING! Something makes my upper arms itch like mad.
Poor 2 year old Ds too - little guy has scars up & down his arms from scratching them bloody.

It's SO hard to figure this stuff out. I keep a detailed food journal for both of us.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#803 of 2288 Old 05-26-2008, 07:55 PM

Somebody on this thread or the thyroid thread was talking about there being a connection with the liver and the adrenals. I'm really excited b/c I just picked up some astragalus tea to cleanse my liver. I got some milk thistle too. I read on kellymom that these are safe while nursing. I think I'm going to start the tea first and then after a week, start taking the milk thistle too.

I also bought a magnesium and calcium supp. I wasn't sure what kind to get. I wanted natural calm, but it only has mag?? I'm confused about that, b/c I thought you took the two together. I get really stressed and I'm not sure if it is a physical thing or my thoughts getting the better of me. I really need to work on not obsessing over housework.

Also with a heavy heart I am quitting cloth diapers. I have really bad anxiety about laundry. YOu do what you gotta do, i guess.
#804 of 2288 Old 05-27-2008, 10:11 AM

who is Dr. Rind in DC???
#805 of 2288 Old 05-27-2008, 11:12 AM

www.drrind.com He has been a speaker at the Weston A Price Foundation conference before on AF, which is how I found him.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#806 of 2288 Old 05-27-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
My first ASI, in early March of '07, showed no gluten antibodies. In January of '08, I did skin allergy testing & gluten came up mildly (they said I should rotate it.) Then I did my second ASI in March of '08 & had quite a reaction to gluten this time around.
I did the testing at www.enterolab.com. The reason it took us so long to finally figure this one out is that for me, an adrenal reaction and a gluten reaction have only one symptom difference. I never knew that AF could cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea. For a long time, we tried to figure out what was going on and kept on eliminating more and more foods. Looking back on it, I now think it might have been AF and not a food allergy on a couple of things.

Quote:
My only complaint, other than the adrenal symptoms of chronic achey muscles, occasional joint pain & occasional fatigue & brain fog is THE ITCHING! Something makes my upper arms itch like mad.
I guess I'm lucky in that I don't have itching problems except in one spot. It's annoying, but livable. I never knew that was a symptom, either, until I read this thread.

I'm quite grateful to have found this thread. I know I'm not near as sick as I used to be, but it just didn't make sense that celiac would take this long to heal.

The doctor here in Asheville that I'm going to go see recently did a newsletter issue on AF- http://www.gsmcweb.com/wp-content/up...mayjun2008.pdf I'm so hopeful that I'm finally going to get help!

#807 of 2288 Old 05-27-2008, 11:31 AM

KerryAnn ~

You should get a ribbon for reading this whole thread! LOL

I want to read the newsletter by your doctor but think opens a blank page. Would you mind checking the link and reposting - or if there's a html page perhaps?
Thanks!
#808 of 2288 Old 05-27-2008, 11:44 AM

Try this- http://www.gsmcweb.com/?page_id=6 It's the April/May/June 2008 newsletter.

I just called and got an appointment with him for mid-July. I'm hoping that will give enough time for my test kit to get here, me take the test and get the results before my appointment with him.

#809 of 2288 Old 05-27-2008, 11:47 AM

Thanks - that link opened right up.
#810 of 2288 Old 05-27-2008, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the link. It mentions at the end astragalus root which I just started taking. I got it in a tea form for just a few bucks from the vitamin shoppe. I hope it helps!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page