THE Adrenal Fatigue Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 2286 Old 06-22-2007, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
If you're going by blood work, yes. Saliva tests are the only way to go for AF. Check out the different results between my blood & saliva results in the first post.
I see, thank you!!

Tiffany , mama to my 2 spirited girls, natalee (8/05) and scarlett (5/09)
#62 of 2286 Old 06-22-2007, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just thought I'd update....I went back to my doctor for my follow-up and it seems that adrenal fatigue isn't my only problem. Here is what else is wrong.

Estrogen was through the roof.
Progesterone was way too low.
Iron was low.
Thyroid was low.

He said most women have a higher progesterone than estrogen, I was the other way around. This explains why my periods last 14-18 days & why my breastmilk dried up with all my kids at 8 months :. He also said that ALL these things cause headaches so hopefully this 15 month long headache will go away soon.

BUT, he also said that if I had gone to a "regular" doctor which I have been going to, they would just tell me everything was fine because technically everything was within normal ranges....just on the lowest of low end of normal and then the huge discrepancy in my hormones.

So, I he gave me a prescription for Armour thyroid, progesterone to take 2 weeks out of my cycle, and a list to go to the health food store with....to get iron and a bunch of herbs.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#63 of 2286 Old 06-22-2007, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ahhh, the dreaded "estrogen dominance," I bet you get wicked PMS.

My sex hormones are off too, my doc says they'll level out a bit once my adrenals heal (since they are responsible for producing the sex hormones) & once I get my cycles back. Ds is 15 months & still nursing like a 3 month old. All of my sex hormones are below range.

Glad you got some answers - are you going to treat the AF too?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#64 of 2286 Old 06-22-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
BUT, he also said that if I had gone to a "regular" doctor which I have been going to, they would just tell me everything was fine because technically everything was within normal ranges....just on the lowest of low end of normal and then the huge discrepancy in my hormones.
What kind of doctor did you go to?
#65 of 2286 Old 06-22-2007, 11:36 PM

I guess the estrogen/progesterone imbalance is normal for AF? One thing that prodded me to get professional help was that I seemed to have lots of estrogen (lots of eggwhitey cervical fluid) and a 6-day luteal phase, which implied not enough progesterone--and I don't know diddly-squat about hormones, I just know this isn't normal for me. Mine's started to get better, last month was an 8-day luteal phase, so I have hope of getting back to normal, sometime.
#66 of 2286 Old 06-23-2007, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
Ahhh, the dreaded "estrogen dominance," I bet you get wicked PMS.

My sex hormones are off too, my doc says they'll level out a bit once my adrenals heal (since they are responsible for producing the sex hormones) & once I get my cycles back. Ds is 15 months & still nursing like a 3 month old. All of my sex hormones are below range.

Glad you got some answers - are you going to treat the AF too?
PMS? Not really.....I get cramps and I bleed for about 15-18 days, but I don't get moody or anything.

I am treating the AF....I am taking Cytozyme AD, CoQ10, fish oils....this is what he told me to take at my first appt.

Fishface--I saw a naturpath....after going to regular MD's for many tears with no answers.

#67 of 2286 Old 06-23-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I guess the estrogen/progesterone imbalance is normal for AF? One thing that prodded me to get professional help was that I seemed to have lots of estrogen (lots of eggwhitey cervical fluid) and a 6-day luteal phase, which implied not enough progesterone--and I don't know diddly-squat about hormones, I just know this isn't normal for me. Mine's started to get better, last month was an 8-day luteal phase, so I have hope of getting back to normal, sometime.
I have alot eggwhitey cervical fluid too, I dont know what 6-day luteal phase is....

#68 of 2286 Old 06-23-2007, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK_Mama View Post
PMS? Not really.....I get cramps and I bleed for about 15-18 days, but I don't get moody or anything.

I am treating the AF....I am taking Cytozyme AD, CoQ10, fish oils....this is what he told me to take at my first appt.

Fishface--I saw a naturpath....after going to regular MD's for many tears with no answers.
Wow, good for you. In menopause (& in most cases of severe pms) the mood swings stem from estrogen dominance - I'm sure the fish oil helps with that.

I'm not familiar with Cytozyme AD, I'll have to look it up.

When in the "fight or flight" mode, our bodies put out cortisol, the stress hormone, so that we can fight the saber toother tiger or deal with the stress of being stuck in traffic. When we're constantly stressed, we run out of cortisol our bodies convert everything into it just to keep up, so we end up low on sex hormones eventually. It sounds like progesterone is the first to go in your case. Dr. Roby writes about a hormone allergy regarding progesterone - I haven't done too much research on his theory, but it might be helpful to you.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#69 of 2286 Old 06-23-2007, 02:36 PM

I just wondered if anyone knows if there are any other reasons for estrogen dominance besides stress and estrogen analogs in our environment (eg. plastics, chemicals, food additives, etc.)

I always thought my estrogen dominance was from the later problem (environmental). I didn't realize stress could also cause estrogen dominance. That sure explains a lot.
#70 of 2286 Old 06-23-2007, 11:11 PM

MomtoNatalee--luteal phase is just the time from ovulation to when your period starts. I'm chartering per Taking Charge of Your Fertility (by Toni Weschler, what an amazing book, I learned a ton about my body, and it was weird to learn all that after having lived in my body for almost 30 yrs at that point), so I can tell when I ovulate. When I started charting and saw it was only 6 days from ovulation to menstruation, I was shocked. Typical is 12-16 days, and I was around 14 days back when I felt normal/healthy. If it's less than 10 days (I think that's the right number), it's considered a fertility problem (assuming you want to get pregnant, which although I definitely don't now, I'd like to keep the possibility for in a few years).
#71 of 2286 Old 06-24-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
MomtoNatalee--luteal phase is just the time from ovulation to when your period starts. I'm chartering per Taking Charge of Your Fertility (by Toni Weschler, what an amazing book, I learned a ton about my body, and it was weird to learn all that after having lived in my body for almost 30 yrs at that point), so I can tell when I ovulate. When I started charting and saw it was only 6 days from ovulation to menstruation, I was shocked. Typical is 12-16 days, and I was around 14 days back when I felt normal/healthy. If it's less than 10 days (I think that's the right number), it's considered a fertility problem (assuming you want to get pregnant, which although I definitely don't now, I'd like to keep the possibility for in a few years).

Thanks for explaining that, after reading so much of this thread I think I understand now why I have been having panic attacks

#72 of 2286 Old 06-24-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks for explaining that, after reading so much of this thread I think I understand now why I have been having panic attacks
Isn't it nice to start getting answers? I love MDC for that.
#73 of 2286 Old 06-25-2007, 12:00 AM

I have hypoglycemia and low blood pressure -- mine was 88 over 50 or so last time, and that was up from a previous time of 80 over 40! My naturopath does energy testing, and she says my adrenals test weak. She wants me to take two 20 minute naps a day! hah!
I know I have adrenal fatigue. I am tired a lot, and dizzy, and get that fear thing you're talking about along with a general anxiety a lot of the time. I am taking pregnolone as a cream, but only on certain days of my cycle (8-20). It's pricey!

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#74 of 2286 Old 06-25-2007, 01:22 AM

Sorry I didn't read through this thread thoroughly, but I'm tired and need sleep... But I'm curious, how do yuo know you have adrenal fatigue? Can your doctor order the blood tests mentioned in the first post? Do you need the saliva tests? What treatments can you take while breastfeeding? What books do you suggest? I have the Diet Cure and it suggests many supplements, but I'm not sure about taking those, especially DHEA, while nursing.

I'm very stressed lately and I find myself getting highly irritated way too quickly. It is taking langer for me to "recover" from stress, too. I just feel like I'm not dealing with things well and I hate the way I've become short with my toddler, who I think is pretty high-needs and teething. yikes.

I love that MDC has a thread for everything

ETA: oh yeah, and no PPAF yet (so I'm not sure if it is related to my hormones), dd is 22 months old.
#75 of 2286 Old 06-25-2007, 01:46 AM

You can get a blood test but the saliva test is much better. The saliva test also takes a collection during 4 different times of the day so you get a better picture of how your adrenals react throughout the day.

Some people take hydrocortisone to replace the missing cortisol. Some people go a more natural route and take supplements and eat a healthier diet (low sugar, high protien) to try to heal the adrenals.

DHEA is safe to take while nursing if you need it. You should have that tested before taking any supplements for it. (The canary club saliva test does test DHEA as well.)
#76 of 2286 Old 06-25-2007, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

I would take oral pregnenolone over DHEA as DHEA often has masculanizing side effects on women, including rage.
My pregnenolone isn't pricey at all, I think I posted the brand in the OP. And I *think* I answered all of your other questions (to the best of my knowledge), Chrissy, in the OP as well.

And holy frijoles Jen! 80/40, that's worse than my 90/50. I experienced a lot of dizziness after Ds was born, about a year ago, I think my adrenals were *really* suffering at that point. I couldn't even drive.

#77 of 2286 Old 06-25-2007, 12:24 PM

What about licorice? Does that help? My "diet cure" book indicates that it does, but I don't want to spend too much. I think I'll hold off on any saliva or blood tests unless this continues and gets worse.

Is pregnenolone okay while breastfeeding?

ETA: Does anyone know if it is derived from vegetarian sources? I'm a strict vegetarian. Also, I haven't started my cycles yet. Could the hormones cause my cycles to return?
Sorry I have so many questions, I have just felt so drained lately and I'm looking for answers
#78 of 2286 Old 06-25-2007, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyelianasmom
What about licorice? Does that help? My "diet cure" book indicates that it does, but I don't want to spend too much. I think I'll hold off on any saliva or blood tests unless this continues and gets worse.

Is pregnenolone okay while breastfeeding?

ETA: Does anyone know if it is derived from vegetarian sources? I'm a strict vegetarian. Also, I haven't started my cycles yet. Could the hormones cause my cycles to return?
Sorry I have so many questions, I have just felt so drained lately and I'm looking for answers
The pregnenolone I'm taking is vegetarian, the brand is "Pure Encapsulations."

I am also bfing, Ds is 15 months old & gets about 90-95% of his nourishment from breastmilk, not much food intake, yes, it's safe while bfing but you should see where your levels are before taking anything.

Pregnenolone has not caused my cycles to return yet - that was a concern of mine too.

I've read conflicting things about Licorice, KellyMom has mixed views about it & all of the herbal sites I searched on said not to take it while bfing. However, my doctor is concerned about my low blood pressure & would like me to try it, but I haven't yet - not sure what I'm going to do about that.

If I were you, I'd really try to get the saliva test done & start treatment - the worse it gets the harder it is to recover. If you weren't bfing, I'd say go for the licorice.

#79 of 2286 Old 06-25-2007, 10:44 PM

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll try the tests. I might go with a DO in the area (it says he's holistic and does hormone replacement, so I'm assuming he does the saliva tests, but I'd probably have to call to find out for sure). Maybe it isn't adrenal fatigue, maybe it is... I just am terrible at night and explode at poor dd. I'm okay at handling the screaming that lasts all day, but when she acts super tired and then won't go to sleep even after nursing a lot, I become very short with her I just don't handle things well. Who know, I just want to be able to handle this better without falling apart every night :
#80 of 2286 Old 06-25-2007, 11:42 PM

HI ladies...sorry to but in on your discussion, but I have been spending a TON of time on the stopthethyroidmadness.com website and HIGHLY suspect I have adrenal fatigue as well as possible Hasmito's. I am going to a doc on the top thyroid doc list for a complete work up and ALLLLL the labs!

But, I was hoping to go in with some good info for him to start off with. I would like to start taking my temp with a glass mercury thermometer, but I am having the hardest time finding one....does anyone know where I could get my hands on one?

Thanks so much and sorry for butting in, but I thought this would be a great place to ask this question!
#81 of 2286 Old 06-26-2007, 02:15 AM

I got mine, 2 for $10, on Ebay. I couldn't find them in any stores at all.
#82 of 2286 Old 06-26-2007, 04:12 PM

Does it have to be a glass mercury thermometer. I had one, but broke it and will not be getting another one!

#83 of 2286 Old 06-26-2007, 06:12 PM

It doesn't have to be but they are the best because they are the most accurate.
#84 of 2286 Old 06-26-2007, 10:28 PM

I'm doing licorice root extract, 1/4 teaspoon twice a day. My ND says not to take it after 2 pm or you won't be able to sleep.

#85 of 2286 Old 06-29-2007, 06:17 PM

Hey, I'm back. I sent in my spit test yesterday through the canary club. It was a lot harder to fill up those little vials than I anticipated. lol

I'm willing to bet my estrogen is high as well. I have been suicidal the week before my period since it came back a few months ago, which was my main reason for seeking help. I also have a really high libido, which is weird considering my depression, but makes sense if I have too much estrogen. I saw a regular MD, she had my thyroid levels checked--came back normal--and she told me to see a therapist b/c she thought my life was too stressful (where would she get that idea? My dh is a grad student who works 10-12 hours per day 6-7 days a week, and we have 2 kids on the spectrum, and we live over 400 miles away from closest family, over 800 from our most helpful family members.) The therapist I saw told me my depression sounded hormonal and I needed to see a medical doctor to have my sex hormones checked, stress alone wouldn't cause this weird cycling depression. The MD I saw did tell me to take melatonin and magnesium before bed to try to get more sleep and to come back for more testing if it didn't help, though, so she was pretty good as well. But she takes summers off, so I won't be able to see her again until mid August.

Now I just have to figure out who to see once I get my results back. What kind of health care provider have you found to be most helpful w/ this sort of thing?

There are some ND's in town, but they're SO expensive! I have a chiropractor, but he is just a chiropractor, he doesn't deal w/ anything else. There is a practice that has an ND with a chiropractor who does acupuncture as well, but my friend was really unhappy w/ the chiropractor's personality. I usually just go to the campus clinic b/c I get a discount b/c my dh is a grad student. I usually see a nurse practitioner, but they also have family doctors, general practitioners, and gynecologists there.
#86 of 2286 Old 06-30-2007, 12:30 AM

I was just diagnosed as estrogen dominant and the doc I see said that is why I have a low sex drive. ???

I see a ND and that is what I would suggest. The one I see is in a Dr's office which all office visits are billed under the doctor in charge so I pay only a co-pay of $25. Sneaky, yes, but so awesome!

If you can't see an ND, I would go with a OB/GYN since they deal with the hormones more so than regular doctors.

#87 of 2286 Old 06-30-2007, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

The high libido sounds like high testosterone. My estrogen is low (as is my testosterone & progesterone, heck, everything's low) & I have no libido - but Ds still nurses every 3-4 hours around the clock & no PP AF yet.

#88 of 2286 Old 07-01-2007, 10:55 PM

Well, I'm not sure if it's really considered high or not, but I'm in the mood at least once a week, more like all week near ovulation and twice the week before my period, which is the same time that I'm completely out of my head and depressed. It makes no sense. And that week before my period is weird, too. I'm fine all day and then bam, about 3PM, sometimes closer to 5, I just lose it and cannot function anymore.

I got 1st PP AF at 18 mos w/ ds1, 6mos w/ ds2, and at 12 mos w/ ds3, but it was 2 months apart at first, been every 28 days or so for the last 4 mos, which is also when the depression got bad. I breastfed all of my boys for over a year, Liam is still nursing (Jake just weaned a few months ago--AFTER AF started--isn't it weird that AF started so early while I was tandem nursing?)

I have read that both estrogen and testosterone can raise a woman's libido, so I guess it could be either. It might be related, but I have noticed the hair on my legs is darker than it used to be, my BO is worse, and the few hairs on my jawline that I have had to pluck ever since the awful experience I had w/ Depo Provera 9 years ago seem to be growing faster than they used to. Those could all point to high testosterone, I guess.

My other symptoms are no energy, I'm tired all the time, I don't sleep well, and I keep gaining weight, but it's all going right to my belly. I always gained weight all over and had an hourglass figure, even when I was overweight and now I'm just frumpy. I have this huge gut, but my arms and legs still look thin. I keep having people come up and ask me when my baby's due! ANd I try to exercise, but I'm too tired. I get tired just going up the stairs, which never used to happen to me. I've been riding my bike a lot, but it doesn't make me feel any better. My diet is really good.
#89 of 2286 Old 07-01-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK_Mama View Post
I go see a naturopath on Tuesday (6/5).....I'm hoping he can figure out what it wrong, although I am leaning towards Adrenal Fatigue. Is there anything I should be sure to ask? I already know I want to ask about the saliva test.

Do any of you have headaches? I have had this headache 24 hours a day/7 days a week for 14 months....it started 1 week after my son was born. It feels like my head is too full and I can feel my pulse pounding in my head at all times.

My symptoms-

Constant headache
Tired all the time
Have trouble getting out of bed in the morning
Have trouble falling asleep at night
Get a "rush" when I stand from sitting
Muscle aches
Anxiety attacks? Shortness of breath, heart pounding....started in March
I also had Hypoglycemia pretty bad while pregnant

I had an MRI last week and should get the results Monday or Tuesday.

What complicates my problem is that I have Interstitial Cystitis so taking vitamins is very hard for me as it causes extreme bladder pain....I do well on chewables and liquids, but no pills. On a GOOD night I get up about 3-5 times. BAD nights.....up to 30. This is probably what caused my problems in the first place.
pretty much YES to all of that

for intuitive readings click here :
#90 of 2286 Old 07-01-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post
I went to the doc yesterday and they drew blood to test my thyroid. I should hear back in a few days. After describing my symptoms she said, "Well, if it's not your thyroid then we should consider that it's a MOOD DISORDER.." That seems like a really, really ridiculous conclusion to draw or option to throw out there after having spoken with me for 3 or 4 minutes. I hate MDs. Anyway, if my thyroid bloodwork comes back normal, I'll consult with a naturopath about AF.
that's because they have a lot invested in keeping you sick. if you aren't treated for AF or hypo properly, they get to see you several times a year for blood pressure, heart problems, weight problems, psychiatric problems that are really medical problems......grrrrrrrrr

Make sure you get your numbers, don't let them get away with telling you you're 'normal.' Not all labs are using the currently accepted standards, and most naturopaths are using different standards than most endos use.

for intuitive readings click here :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page