THE Adrenal Fatigue Thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 2288 Old 07-02-2007, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
Well, I'm not sure if it's really considered high or not, but I'm in the mood at least once a week, more like all week near ovulation and twice the week before my period, which is the same time that I'm completely out of my head and depressed. It makes no sense. And that week before my period is weird, too. I'm fine all day and then bam, about 3PM, sometimes closer to 5, I just lose it and cannot function anymore.

I got 1st PP AF at 18 mos w/ ds1, 6mos w/ ds2, and at 12 mos w/ ds3, but it was 2 months apart at first, been every 28 days or so for the last 4 mos, which is also when the depression got bad. I breastfed all of my boys for over a year, Liam is still nursing (Jake just weaned a few months ago--AFTER AF started--isn't it weird that AF started so early while I was tandem nursing?)

I have read that both estrogen and testosterone can raise a woman's libido, so I guess it could be either. It might be related, but I have noticed the hair on my legs is darker than it used to be, my BO is worse, and the few hairs on my jawline that I have had to pluck ever since the awful experience I had w/ Depo Provera 9 years ago seem to be growing faster than they used to. Those could all point to high testosterone, I guess.

My other symptoms are no energy, I'm tired all the time, I don't sleep well, and I keep gaining weight, but it's all going right to my belly. I always gained weight all over and had an hourglass figure, even when I was overweight and now I'm just frumpy. I have this huge gut, but my arms and legs still look thin. I keep having people come up and ask me when my baby's due! ANd I try to exercise, but I'm too tired. I get tired just going up the stairs, which never used to happen to me. I've been riding my bike a lot, but it doesn't make me feel any better. My diet is really good.
you sound exactly like me, right down to the moods and the hourglass/weight/tummy thing.

annoying, isn't it?

for intuitive readings click here :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 2288 Old 07-03-2007, 02:04 AM

Wow! I am so glad to find this thread! I did the saliva test as well and was diagnosed as level 5 about a month ago. I am getting more rest and drinking more water and taking a few different supplements. My practitioner says he's never seen anybody come back in less than a year! I have most of the classic symptoms. About 2 years ago I started drinking some coffee (so not me!) just because I was able to kind of whiz through my day but I have since quit coffee and do not miss it at all! The sleep routine I am working on - not easy for a night owl mama of 2 boys! My practitioner, who is very kind, told me "If I could give you one piece of advice it would be that you need to learn to float" This simple sentence has had a profound effect! ! I also want to recommend the CD Reconnecting to the Life Force by Charles Eisenstein. I get really overwhelmed by all the nutrition recommendations I find on the web and there is just so much info! I am really looking forward to reading all these posts!
#93 of 2288 Old 07-03-2007, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
So I decided to give the licorice a try, I've read conflicting reports about the safety for the nursling & after my BP was down again at my last visit, I decided that I needed to give it a shot.

I've been taking it for about 6-7 days now & Ds seems fine - not sure what to look for, my doctor didn't want to tell me because he knows that I'll make mountains out of molehills (like if Ds is fussy, I'll think of the licorice rather than the teething, etc.)

6 days on the licorice & my BP was only 80 over "something low." My doctor asks me what I've been doing, meaning, how have I been over-exerting my body & I said that I've been really good about not doing anything strenuous & for the most part, I've been better mentally - with the anxiety stuff. He said, "The blood pressure never lies." So now I have to figure out where I'm stressing my body, is it physical? emotional? "80 over something low" is the lowest it's been since I've started treatment & it didn't rise upon standing.

The lack of response from 4+ months of treatment is not encouraging, it leads to more health anxiety, more "what ifs," "what if it's not working because it's cancer or bone TB?" or some other unlikely (but possible!) scenario.

My muscles still hurt as severely as they have for the last 8 months, some days are worse than others & I'm desperately trying to link a mind-body connection to the cause so that I can relax about it being something physical.

We upped my pregnenolone to 40mg/day.

I'm feeling really frustrated & discouraged right now.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#94 of 2288 Old 07-03-2007, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post

The lack of response from 4+ months of treatment is not encouraging, it leads to more health anxiety, more "what ifs," "what if it's not working because it's cancer or bone TB?" or some other unlikely (but possible!) scenario.

I'm feeling really frustrated & discouraged right now.
You just summed up how I feel. For me it's only been a month, but I am on Cytozyme AD, Armour Thyroid, Iron, a vitamin, fish oils, CoQ10, natural progesterone, and DIM. I thought my headache would be gone by now. My mind keeps wandering, what I have something more serious that hasn't been caught, like cancer? Out of all my medical complaints, so far the only thing I have noticed is a smidge more energy, other than that, no improvements.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#95 of 2288 Old 07-06-2007, 03:17 AM

Should I take pregnenolone if my DHEA was normal (4 and range is 3 to 10)? Also it says not to be taken when breastfeeding (we're still nursing). My cortisol burden is 15 and is considered non-adaptive, low reserves.
#96 of 2288 Old 07-06-2007, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellinghamCrunchie View Post
Should I take pregnenolone if my DHEA was normal (4 and range is 3 to 10)? Also it says not to be taken when breastfeeding (we're still nursing). My cortisol burden is 15 and is considered non-adaptive, low reserves.
I don't know. I'm bfing Ds who nurses like a newborn & am up to 40 mg/day of pregnenolone. Do you have a ND or other holistic doc to work with?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#97 of 2288 Old 07-06-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I don't know. I'm bfing Ds who nurses like a newborn & am up to 40 mg/day of pregnenolone. Do you have a ND or other holistic doc to work with?
No... I did the saliva test and am *ahem* self-treating. Do you think its worth it to go to an ND? The only thing that showed up as outside normal limits was the cortisol levels (all four were depressed).
#98 of 2288 Old 07-06-2007, 06:25 PM

I just had to share my experience with a doc I found on the Stopthethyroidmadness.com website.....

Here's the review on Top Thyroid Doctors that convinced me I should see this guy ASAP---

"Dr. Fred James Schultz, MD, Family Practice Specializing in Natural Approaches to Wellness. Center for Health and Healing 2150 Manchester Road Wheaton, IL 6018. 630-933-9722. A reader tells us, "I found a doctor who prescribes Armour. He had 15 years experience in conventional medicine before following his heart and founding his current practice in 1997 where he combines alternative with conventional methods of healing. Dr. Schultz works with each patient to find solutions. He successfully treats patients who have arthritis, asthma, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, depression, headaches, eating disorders, attention deficit disorder, diabetes and many other diseases. He treats many autoimmune disorders including scleroderma, lupus, multiple sclerosis and Sjogren's. He also specializes in neuroendocrine disorders such as hypothalamic, pituitary, thyroid, adrenal, and ovarian dysfunctions such as PMS, endometriosis, fibroids and menopausal conditions. Rather than merely covering up symptoms, the functional medicine approach involves looking for reasons behind health problems and working to resolve these underlying dysfunctions. The goal is to normalize and balance body function, thereby allowing natural healing to occur. He seems to be a very caring doctor, he listens and will work with you. You can even call him by his first name. All the women in the office are very nice and caring too!!! They all have experienced "the attitude of conventional doctors" and are not willing to follow in their footsteps. He has just started me on Armour. He takes the proper thyroid tests. Free T4, Free T3, TSH, thyroid antibodies, and lots more... He has also given a few supplements to build up my thyroid tissue. Next he is going to check my adrenals and female hormones. He also does IV vitamin therapy. He truly is an answered prayer from God. At the Center for Health and Healing, they do not accept Medicare or any insurance plans. They do provide the patient with a form to send to their insurance carrier for possible reimbursement from plans with out-of-network coverage. Payment is expected at the time of service. They accept all major credit cards. I asked and I was told that PPO plans will cover a percentage of everything except for any supplements (i.e. the supplements I am taking to build my thyroid tissue). Like myself, some people feel finding a good doctor is first priority and coverage is secondary"

AND here's my review that I just posted on my AP Mom's Group Message Board:

"Okay, I just got back not too long ago from seeing Dr. Schultz. I can not even begin to RAVE enough about this man. He is wonderful!!!!!! Knowledgeable (VERY, VERY, VERY), kind, sympathetic, professional, non-formal, etc etc etc.... (His office is BEAUTIFUL, gorgeous, clean, and then he comes out in a Hawaiian shirt and shorts---very clean, but very approachable and informal--then the first thing he tells you is you can call him Fred, Dr. Fred, or Dr. Scultz, whatever you feel most comfortable with)

I have not felt like I was in better medical hands EVER in my life. I could go ON and ON. I took in a lot of information (not that he was dishing out tons of it or trying to shove ideas down my throat AT ALL), but he was very generous in how he explained things and completely stayed on track with the symtoms that were most concerning to me. He did avery simple exam-blood pressure, pulse, listening to my heart and lungs, looking in my ears, nose and mouth/throat, taking my temp (which was ONLY 96.7) and palpating my neck/thyroid area. He was very detailed and wrote down just about everything I told him---he did NOT make me feel silly for mentioning stuff that i though COULD be relevant---like a lot of Doctors have in the past, and he asked what I felt to be very relevant questions. I wish I could share all the info that he shared with me, but I am just NOT good at ALL at explaining detailed information like that....I understood tons of it, but it would be hard for me to put that info into words.

The best way I can describe it is---GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, YOU GOTTA GO SEE THIS GUY! HE "GETS IT"!!!!! TOTALLY GET'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He started me on some supplements to help my energy and depression today, and I will go back to see him in two weeks once my bloodwork/urinalysis results are back. At that time, we will then decide TOGETHER what the best plan of action is.

I can't tell you guys how RELIEVED, HOPEFUL and excited I am about this guy. He is just awesome!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and his office staff was JUST AS wonderful as him. On top of everything else, the office was absolutely gorgeous and clean, and they got me into see him 15 minutes early---I took my Mothering Magazine to read, and didn't even have time to get it open. PLUS, they had some Polycarbonate non-leaching plastic water bottles on sale for $4 each, and when I asked if they included that on my bill- the receptionist said, "Oh, no, they're on me! " So, they gave me 2 for FREE!

It was a wonderful experience and I am looking forward to healing with this guy! I HIGHLY recommend you guys give him a call. Also, he DOES see children---although he prefers not to be their Primary Care Physician. I FULLY plan to take dd to him once I get MYSELF straightened out. I will probably keep her with ***** for a PCP, but have her see him for the important stuff."
#99 of 2288 Old 07-07-2007, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellinghamCrunchie View Post
No... I did the saliva test and am *ahem* self-treating. Do you think its worth it to go to an ND? The only thing that showed up as outside normal limits was the cortisol levels (all four were depressed).
I don't know....I know the basics of this stuff but I'm not sure I know enough to self-treat. I guess if I were to do that, I'd stick with the natural stuff (not that bioidentical pregnenolone isn't natural, but let's face it, it's not something you'd be able to find in nature, yk?) I'd be more inclined to eat a lot of organ meats from grass-fed cows & take licorice extract, but sometimes that isn't always enough.

Did you try calling Clymer (where I go) to see how much it is to do phone appointments? You already have results, so you should be able to get recommendations quickly.

#100 of 2288 Old 07-07-2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Did you try calling Clymer (where I go) to see how much it is to do phone appointments? You already have results, so you should be able to get recommendations quickly.
I was thinking about doing that. I guess I probably should. But I'm too tired to pick up the phone

HOW do you deal with adrenal fatigue AND a two-year-old?: She deserves a more active, enthusiastic mom and I'm finding it hard to be that for her.
#101 of 2288 Old 07-08-2007, 06:08 PM

How about emailing the clinic instead of calling, just for the preliminary info? It might be easier than phoning.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#102 of 2288 Old 07-08-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APmom2Libby View Post
I just had to share my experience with a doc I found on the Stopthethyroidmadness.com website.....
Yay!!!

So far I have been unable to find one in my area since we moved, but I self treat also.

for intuitive readings click here :
#103 of 2288 Old 07-10-2007, 02:56 AM

I'm awaiting the results of my saliva test from DiagnosTechs, but I'm checking back here from time to time to see how everyone else is coming along.

APmom - that's great that you found a doc that you like! I grew up in Wheaton and my parents are there still.
#104 of 2288 Old 07-10-2007, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

I have an appointment this afternoon, I've moved up to weekly appointments since my BP dropped even more. : Buuuuut, that means almost 2 hours roundtrip in the car w/o kids, kind of peaceful if I can keep my mind from wandering.

I had a rough weekend, found a tick on Dd2 - ticks & Lyme are my phobia which, as far as I'm concerned, started this whole adrenal mess in the first place (my phobia, not ticks or Lyme) & I had an awful ocular migraine on Sunday that hit me out of nowhere like a freight train & I ended up puking & then falling asleep for an hour.) I won't be surprised today if my BP is lower than normal again. I tend to get that "health anxiety" & while I felt like I was dying during that ocular migraine, I had the "what ifs," "what it it's an aneurysm?" "brain tumor?" "Lyme?" I hate that.

I plan on bringing up some questions, I'll post back with anything interesting or potentially helpful.

#105 of 2288 Old 07-10-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I have an appointment this afternoon, I've moved up to weekly appointments since my BP dropped even more. : Buuuuut, that means almost 2 hours roundtrip in the car w/o kids, kind of peaceful if I can keep my mind from wandering.

I had a rough weekend, found a tick on Dd2 - ticks & Lyme are my phobia which, as far as I'm concerned, started this whole adrenal mess in the first place (my phobia, not ticks or Lyme) & I had an awful ocular migraine on Sunday that hit me out of nowhere like a freight train & I ended up puking & then falling asleep for an hour.) I won't be surprised today if my BP is lower than normal again. I tend to get that "health anxiety" & while I felt like I was dying during that ocular migraine, I had the "what ifs," "what it it's an aneurysm?" "brain tumor?" "Lyme?" I hate that.

I plan on bringing up some questions, I'll post back with anything interesting or potentially helpful.
I hope your appt. went well today and you were able to enjoy your peace and quiet in the car. I know that the anxiety issue is part of the whole adrenal fatigue thing (it's an ugly cycle, isn't it?) but just wanted to let you know that lyme isn't the total nightmare that allopathic medicine makes it to be (through their poor testing and treatments). What I mean to say is that, yes, it's bad, esp. when untreated, but it's very treatable. My sister and BIL went to a ND for a variety of problems and the doc found the bacteria that causes lyme (he can't diagnose lyme or the AMA starts suing : ) and was able to easily treat it with a bunch of herbs and other supplements, black walnut and the like. Shortly after my sister's hip stopped bothering her and she was able to get pregnant after years of trying. Anyway, just thought I'd mention that so that you could focus your anxieties on some other health problem

I go to my doc (P.A.) tomorrow to see if she'll test and treat me for adrenal fatigue. Their office uses the Diagnos-Techs testing, probably the hormone tests, so maybe she'll be up for it. I'm not too hopeful though, since I went about an irregular heart beat I developed shortly before getting pregnant with ds2 and after a little testing (low b-12, low-normal thyroid???) she said as long as there weren't other symptoms it's just something I'll live with, like the other 1/3 of the country with this problem : Since I started magnesium suppplements for my aching legs the irregular heart beat has gone away, as long as keep up the supplements. After a little research I found out that it's critical to heart health so, duh, I could be depleted. All that to say, if she didn't know that then I'm not to sure about her ability to treat adrenal fatigue, but she's covered by insurance so I'll start there first. I do have hope though, if she doesn't work out, that I can see the ND my sister saw (2 hours away). Dh said the other night that if it takes seeing Dr. Anderson to get my sex drive back then it'll be worth it I guess he's tired of the worn out, unresponsive lump that I've become during sex. I didn't used to be that way so we both know something's wrong and I'm pretty sure that it's more than just two little boys.
#106 of 2288 Old 07-11-2007, 03:53 AM

Ok, add me to the list. I met with my ND today and I have adrenal fatigue, along with some other issues. She put me on Adrenal Dessicated by Standard Process, Iodoral Iodine/Potassium supplements, Ferrum Phos cell salts, Digestive enzymes, and a homeopathic remedy. Anyone know about the adrenal support and iodine?
#107 of 2288 Old 07-11-2007, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannyshan View Post
Ok, add me to the list. I met with my ND today and I have adrenal fatigue, along with some other issues. She put me on Adrenal Dessicated by Standard Process, Iodoral Iodine/Potassium supplements, Ferrum Phos cell salts, Digestive enzymes, and a homeopathic remedy. Anyone know about the adrenal support and iodine?
I have some info in this thread about potassium, every good piece of info I've ever read says that adrenal patients have a potassium/sodium imbalance & that sodium is what we need - not potassium, taking potassium further depletes our sodium. My doctor told me to drink salt water & to use as much salt as possible (sea salt) & to avoid high potassium foods.

RachelJ., thanks for that, it really helped me to see Lyme a different way - every other bit I read about it is SO alarmist & downright horrible, sends my adrenaline through the roof!

So, my appointment did not bring good news. I've been in an agitated state since removing the tick from my Dd on Friday night. My gut says that she's fine, I don't think the tick was embedded enough to pass anything. But, it unleashed the thoughts again - why am I not healing?

My BP showed my stress, it was higher than it's ever been, 105 laying down & 115 standing - contrary to my initial response, this is not good - it was just reflecting my mental state.

So I'm to take my Seriphos - a lot & often. I need to break this fight or flight cycle.

#108 of 2288 Old 07-11-2007, 05:43 PM

Woo hoo! Got my results. The good news (because it means I'm not imagining this) and bad news is that things are pretty out of whack.

7-8 am, 18, normal, range 13-24
11am-noon, <1, depressed, range 5-10
4pm-5pm, <1, depressed, range 3-8
11pm-midnight, <1, depressed, range 1-4

DHEA, 7, normal, range 3-10

This puts me in Zone 5: Non-adapted, low reserves.

Waiting for blood test results, then I'll meet again with my naturopath and get her recommendations and go from there. Looks like I'll probably need to see an MD as well to get cortisol that it seems like I could really benefit from at this point.

I feel you on the anxiety issue. Last week and this one have really sucked in that department and I have about the least stressful life of anyone I know. I can't *wait* to see some improvement in that area as well as increased energy.
#109 of 2288 Old 07-11-2007, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Hey you're DHEA looks good though - that's great news! I'm not so sure about cortisol being the best bet - my doctor hasn't suggested it & I'm in zone 7 (aka as bad as it gets.) I think the bovine organ extracts are a more natural approach, I've also heard that it's really tough to wean off of the cortisol - just some food for thought....

Congrats on feeling validated! It's nice to be able to blame our symptoms on something, isn't it?

#110 of 2288 Old 07-11-2007, 09:54 PM

Hello all.

I am pretty sure I have AF. My ND told me that she was 100% sure that I had it without even taking the test (that's a bold statement!) but that I should take it anyway so that we can figure out where I am and how to treat.

So I have a question. I want to order a test but am unsure of which one is the best:

Canary Club offers this one:

Adrenal Stress Tests (four samples for cortisol and DHEA) .. This involves one saliva sample collected in the morning before breakfast, another sample collected around noon (before lunch), another around 4 p.m.
(before dinner), and another around 10 p.m. (before bed).

And Direct labs offers this one:

This profile offers an average value for DHEA in the noon to P.M. time window. It measures IgA, a marker for antibody activation of the mucosal immune system response. Also measured are Antigliadin Antibodies, a marker for reactive allergic sensitivity to a component of wheat and other foods. Either of these markers may be elevated in stress syndromes. Elevation of either marker would indicate systemic compromise resulting in gut permeability, allergic response and/or food sensitivity. Symptoms could vary widely. Includes:

DHEA-Sulfate
Cortisol - four specimens
Secretary IgA
AntiGliadin Antibodies

I want to make sure I get the one that is really going to diagnose me and not leave me with questions. Thanks!

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#111 of 2288 Old 07-11-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurturedbirth View Post
Woo hoo! Got my results. The good news (because it means I'm not imagining this) and bad news is that things are pretty out of whack.

7-8 am, 18, normal, range 13-24
11am-noon, <1, depressed, range 5-10
4pm-5pm, <1, depressed, range 3-8
11pm-midnight, <1, depressed, range 1-4

DHEA, 7, normal, range 3-10

This puts me in Zone 5: Non-adapted, low reserves.

Waiting for blood test results, then I'll meet again with my naturopath and get her recommendations and go from there. Looks like I'll probably need to see an MD as well to get cortisol that it seems like I could really benefit from at this point.

I feel you on the anxiety issue. Last week and this one have really sucked in that department and I have about the least stressful life of anyone I know. I can't *wait* to see some improvement in that area as well as increased energy.
I'm pretty sure that with a cortisol reading that is "0" during any part of the days means that you should be checked for Addison's Disease....I'm not sure if the good DHEA rules that out though?
#112 of 2288 Old 07-11-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmiepie View Post
Hello all.

I am pretty sure I have AF. My ND told me that she was 100% sure that I had it without even taking the test (that's a bold statement!) but that I should take it anyway so that we can figure out where I am and how to treat.

So I have a question. I want to order a test but am unsure of which one is the best:

Canary Club offers this one:

Adrenal Stress Tests (four samples for cortisol and DHEA) .. This involves one saliva sample collected in the morning before breakfast, another sample collected around noon (before lunch), another around 4 p.m.
(before dinner), and another around 10 p.m. (before bed).

And Direct labs offers this one:

This profile offers an average value for DHEA in the noon to P.M. time window. It measures IgA, a marker for antibody activation of the mucosal immune system response. Also measured are Antigliadin Antibodies, a marker for reactive allergic sensitivity to a component of wheat and other foods. Either of these markers may be elevated in stress syndromes. Elevation of either marker would indicate systemic compromise resulting in gut permeability, allergic response and/or food sensitivity. Symptoms could vary widely. Includes:

DHEA-Sulfate
Cortisol - four specimens
Secretary IgA
AntiGliadin Antibodies

I want to make sure I get the one that is really going to diagnose me and not leave me with questions. Thanks!
The Canary Club Diagnostechs test will do your cortisol, TSH, free T3, free T4. both antibodies and estradiol, progesterone and testosterone.

There is some debate as to whether or not saliva testing is accurate for sex hormones though.

I don't know about the other testing company...
#113 of 2288 Old 07-11-2007, 11:39 PM

Thanks Kim. You've been very helpful.

I ask because the canary club said that they did not do the Anti-TPO or TgAb for thyroid as you stated that I need.

Also, I didn't know if the Secretary IgA and AntiGliadin Antibodies were important in diagnosing adrenal fatigue. Because canary club does not offer those either. And direct labs offers all of these.

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#114 of 2288 Old 07-11-2007, 11:41 PM

Here are my results:
Free Cortisol Rhythm
7-8AM 16 normal
11-noon 3 depressed
4-5 4 normal
11-midnight 5 elevated
cortisol burden 28 (normal)

DHEA 2 depressed

Cortisol-DHEA Correlation -2 Adapted w/ DHEA slump
Patient result interpretations
Marginal HPA axis performance during the day may be associated with suboptimal hypothalmis pacing of adrenals. Adrenal support suggested.
Midnight value is elevated suggesting a lack of sensitivity to suppression at the pituitary-hypothalmic-axis. This condition is usually associated with a tendency to endogenous depression, and REM sleep disruptions (maybe why I'm ALWAYS SO TIRED?). Phosphorylated serine derivatives are reported to optimize HPA responsiveness.

Anabolic enhancement suggested: DHEA or Pregnenolone augmentation.
Anabolic suppoert suggested.

My thyroid levels were all smack dab in the middle of normal ranges, except Triiodo-thyronine, which was 0.28, normal is 0.28-1.1

I did the test on about day 22 of my cycle, so luteal phase.
My estradiol was 16, normal is 7-20
Progesterone was 503, normal is 65-500, so high. I've read high progesterone can cause depression. And no, I was not, am not pregnant, so that would not explain the high progesterone.
Free testosterone was 18, range is 8-20

I haven't found a doc yet. I decided that until I do, I'm just going to take the damn hormones. I'm taking 10mg each of DHEA and Pregnenolone. I started about 3 days ago. I also bought better multivitamins and have started taking valerian and a higher dose of melatonin before bed. Oh, and new melatonin is time release.
#115 of 2288 Old 07-11-2007, 11:42 PM

Oh, I have another question. I used to take temps to chart my fertility. I don't bother anymore, but my temp was always really really low. Like 96.4. I know it's not normal, but is it related to this at all, does anyone know?
#116 of 2288 Old 07-11-2007, 11:46 PM

Wendy, Sounds to me like low thyroid (hypo). Which apparently your thyroid test can come back normal but adrenal fatigue almost always impairs thyroid function and when you get that under control the other should get better.

#117 of 2288 Old 07-11-2007, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmiepie View Post
Thanks Kim. You've been very helpful.

I ask because the canary club said that they did not do the Anti-TPO or TgAb for thyroid as you stated that I need.

Also, I didn't know if the Secretary IgA and AntiGliadin Antibodies were important in diagnosing adrenal fatigue. Because canary club does not offer those either. And direct labs offers all of these.
Kim, I did the ASI from DiagnosTechs & they ran those tests - the IgA & AntiGliadin Antibodies - it's more expensive when you order through the Canary Club - my doctor ordered mine but I believe you can just order the ASI directly from DiagnosTechs & just have your doctor sign it, it's only $99 for that. I can tell you everything that I had tested if you need to go that route & you're not sure that your doctor knows what to test for. Alternately, you could call DiagnosTechs, labs are usually very helpful when you're inquiring about which tests to order. The ASI has different tests within it that you can check or leave blank.

Kim (NocturnalDaze), I believe saliva testing to be much more accurate than blood for testing sex hormones. Just curious where you've read otherwise....

#118 of 2288 Old 07-11-2007, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
Oh, I have another question. I used to take temps to chart my fertility. I don't bother anymore, but my temp was always really really low. Like 96.4. I know it's not normal, but is it related to this at all, does anyone know?
My temps have *always* been low, my thyroid came back fine but like Kim said, adrenal fatigue affects thyroid function, even if it doesn't show up in test results.

#119 of 2288 Old 07-11-2007, 11:54 PM

Thanks Metasequoia- Sorry I haven't pm'd you back...it's been busy.

I actually don't have a dr and am doing this all on my own. So the direct labs and canary are the only ones that will let you do it without a dr signing off on it.

What I'm wondering is if the extra ones that are more expensive are really necessary in diagnosing AF?

Also, I am interested in the saliva/blood for hormones.

I need to make sure I do these tests right because I can't go back for anymore! My dh is having a cow about these as it is...he agrees with the doctors that it's "all in my head" or anxiety. :

#120 of 2288 Old 07-12-2007, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

KimmiePie, go to the DiagnosTechs site, click on "Tests & Panels" in the colum on the left of your screen. In the first group of tests under "Adrenal Stress Index", click on "Overview for Doctors", it lists all of the tests run in the ASI & explains the purpose of each one. The 17-Hydroxyprogesterone is important, I can't remember exactly how my doctor explained it but it was important in making sure that my low cortisol wasn't caused by a defect in my hormonal cascade (I'm explaining it really poorly, but it's important to rule out.) Really, I'd give DiagnosTechs a call tomorrow.

The Canary Club includes the sex hormone testing too, doesn't it? My adrenal doctor didn't bother testing my sex hormones & he explained that he just assumed they were out of whack because my body was turning all hormones into cortisol. I already knew that my sex hormones were low after a blood test, but I also still haven't had my postpartum AF yet & Ds nurses like a champ 24/7. He said that my sex hormone levels wouldn't rise until we fixed the adrenal problem & stopped them from being diverted elsewhere.

HTH

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page