THE Adrenal Fatigue Thread - Page 57 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-26-2009, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
I'm hoping that if I'm starting to feel a bit better that it will mean my adrenals will have a bit more of a break (feeling better means less likely to snap at stress/anxiety-inducing situations, which means the adrenals should be less stressed in general) and begin to heal.
That's my theory too.

I can't tear myself away from this thread!

I messed up my ASI because I didn't drink my usual morning cup of green tea & wound up with an AWFUL headache complete with major vomiting episodes. BUT, I'm now completely & totally caffeine-free! Aiming for Monday to complete the test....

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2009, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
That's my theory too.

I can't tear myself away from this thread!

I messed up my ASI because I didn't drink my usual morning cup of green tea & wound up with an AWFUL headache complete with major vomiting episodes. BUT, I'm now completely & totally caffeine-free! Aiming for Monday to complete the test....
Oh that sounds most unpleasant. Are you planning on staying completely caffeine-free now?

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 03-26-2009, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh that sounds most unpleasant. Are you planning on staying completely caffeine-free now?
Absolutely. I LOVE my morning cup of jasmine green tea & I love the health benefits of green tea, and I find it relaxing - but I DON'T love being addicted to something that causes such a brutal physical response when not taken. It's kind of scary.

I think it's best for my poor adrenals.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 03-27-2009, 12:29 PM

I have been caffeine-free now for a long time. I do drink decaf every morning and I guess there are trace amounts in there, but I *need* it.

I had to have my dog put to sleep the week before last and so I've been really bad about my diet - eating a lot of comfort foods (ice cream, wheat-based products) and my energy levels are blah. Last Sunday I had to nap for about 3 hours in the middle of the day - something I hadn't HAD to do in a while now. Thing is, I'm such an addict and so now I have to tear myself away from the crap again and start anew.

I can do it! I can do it!
Old 03-27-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
I have been caffeine-free now for a long time. I do drink decaf every morning and I guess there are trace amounts in there, but I *need* it.

I had to have my dog put to sleep the week before last and so I've been really bad about my diet - eating a lot of comfort foods (ice cream, wheat-based products) and my energy levels are blah. Last Sunday I had to nap for about 3 hours in the middle of the day - something I hadn't HAD to do in a while now. Thing is, I'm such an addict and so now I have to tear myself away from the crap again and start anew.

I can do it! I can do it!
and And yes, you can do it! You are amazing in what you can do!!!

Old 03-27-2009, 12:45 PM

Well, I upped my 5HTP and GABA - what I was taking was having positive effects, but I realized the other day that I needed to up the dosage. So, now it's 250 mg of 5HTP (100 morning, 100 afternoon, 50 at night), and 1500 mg of GABA (750, 2x a day). Now I'm back to trying to remember my magnesium and CLO daily. I think if I could get all of those in on a daily/consistent basis, I'd feel really good.

And I don't know if I said anything on this thread or not (can't keep track sometimes), but I dropped the DHEA back in February. I hadn't felt "right" intuition wise taking it since I started back in November. But, I took it anyway. I think it totally messed with my cycles. Since stopping, my cycle is back to normal - not quite 28 days, but pretty close with *no* inbetween bleeding or spotting. Yay! But, I think the side-effect now is that I put a little weight back on and I think it made me slightly estrogen dependent. I'm not thrilled about that, but I am not sure if I want to do something like pregnenolone to try and balance it all back out again. (Our OMD told dh that I will do much better through menopause when I get there if I am estrogen dependent.)

Old 03-27-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I wonder if there's something in the decaf besides caffeine that your body wants/needs right now. What else is in coffee? How are you on sulfur foods?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Old 03-27-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
This time when I re-ordered Travacor (I just CANNOT sleep without it), I also ordered Adrenacor. It says to take 1-3 capsules once or twice daily. Does anyone know if you're supposed to slowly increase, and/or if it keeps you awake? I tried two different Adrenal ones already (the first one the ND gave me didn't do anything and neither did the other). Since I think the Travacor works really well, I'm trying the Adrenacor made by the same company.
Have you tried excitacor along with Travacor by neuroscience it is for Dopamine.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Well, I upped my 5HTP and GABA - what I was taking was having positive effects, but I realized the other day that I needed to up the dosage. So, now it's 250 mg of 5HTP (100 morning, 100 afternoon, 50 at night), and 1500 mg of GABA (750, 2x a day). Now I'm back to trying to remember my magnesium and CLO daily. I think if I could get all of those in on a daily/consistent basis, I'd feel really good.

And I don't know if I said anything on this thread or not (can't keep track sometimes), but I dropped the DHEA back in February. I hadn't felt "right" intuition wise taking it since I started back in November. But, I took it anyway. I think it totally messed with my cycles. Since stopping, my cycle is back to normal - not quite 28 days, but pretty close with *no* inbetween bleeding or spotting. Yay! But, I think the side-effect now is that I put a little weight back on and I think it made me slightly estrogen dependent. I'm not thrilled about that, but I am not sure if I want to do something like pregnenolone to try and balance it all back out again. (Our OMD told dh that I will do much better through menopause when I get there if I am estrogen dependent.)
YK, I remembered you saying that about it messing w/your cycles. I swear AF was going to arrive the other day but I think I ovulated again instead! I wonder if the DHEA is doing the same thing to me. Hmmm...
Old 03-27-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
I wonder if there's something in the decaf besides caffeine that your body wants/needs right now. What else is in coffee? How are you on sulfur foods?
Fine, as far as I know. I really think it's the taste of coffee that I like. Giving up the caffeine was easy. I seriously could give up the decaf, but it's part of my morning ritual.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:18 PM

Even decaf for a few days will give me the caffeine-withdrawal migraines (complete with nausea) for 3 straight days. I have to stay away from it altogether, which is so sad b/c I love my morning coffee.

This is a good topic for me to read today. I'm SOOO tired and seriously craving a soda for a pick-me-up.

Don't do it, don't do it, don't do it.... But the soda is right there in the fridge begging me.

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X
Old 03-27-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
YK, I remembered you saying that about it messing w/your cycles. I swear AF was going to arrive the other day but I think I ovulated again instead! I wonder if the DHEA is doing the same thing to me. Hmmm...
From what I've read, DHEA can act differently for everyone who takes it. It doesn't just go to one hormone, if that makes sense. I think it was this thread where I read that women are not usually prescribed DHEA because it can cause testoterone to rise, causing facial hair and such. I think for me, it ended up causing my estrogen to get out of balance. But, I'm leary of starting another hormone supplement if I went the route of pregnenolone.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieG View Post
Even decaf for a few days will give me the caffeine-withdrawal migraines (complete with nausea) for 3 straight days. I have to stay away from it altogether, which is so sad b/c I love my morning coffee.

This is a good topic for me to read today. I'm SOOO tired and seriously craving a soda for a pick-me-up.

Don't do it, don't do it, don't do it.... But the soda is right there in the fridge begging me.
Be strong, be strong . . .

Quote:
From what I've read, DHEA can act differently for everyone who takes it. It doesn't just go to one hormone, if that makes sense. I think it was this thread where I read that women are not usually prescribed DHEA because it can cause testoterone to rise, causing facial hair and such. I think for me, it ended up causing my estrogen to get out of balance. But, I'm leary of starting another hormone supplement if I went the route of pregnenolone.
INteresting. Well, I could use some more testosterone for sure. I'd like some libido back.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:32 PM

i haven't had a chance to follow this thread but i have been wondering for awhile now if it's possible to have adrenal fatigue and not be deficient in sodium? i did the pupil test a month or two ago and my pupils started fluttering immediately. however, i have also done the sodium taste test that i read about on this forum and it tasted like salt water and wasn't particularly appetizing. i haven't done the potassium taste test yet because i keep forgetting to buy the no salt stuff. i suspect that i am hypothyroid. i'm going to be getting some blood tests in a couple of weeks, but they're only testing my TSH and cholesterol, liver function blah blah because i currently have no health insurance (getting tested through the Indian Health Clinic) and i couldn't convince the doctor to do any of the other thyroid tests because "they're expensive and unnecessary unless the TSH test indicates a problem". anyways, if anyone can tell me anything it would be greatly appreciated!

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

Old 03-28-2009, 12:14 AM

I come and go with sodium. There are times I crave it, and so I go with that. Usually I don't use much salt at all. I have learned that when I feel dizzy, I need salt. Right now I feel pretty good with just the regular sodium I get in my day. (I wonder though if the sodium ascorbate I use daily is making up for sodium deficiency, so to me it seems like I'm not craving salt?) When I was first diagnosed with adrenal fatigue, I didn't have any salt cravings (nor was I using SA). About a month after beginning supplements, my salt craving took off and I was probably eating about 1/2 teaspoon a day, which for me is a lot. That tapered about a month or so ago.

I don't have any information about the thyroid testing. I suspect I am hypothyroid too, but the few times I've been tested via allopathic medicine, my tests were always "normal". I might have my ND test me when I retest my adrenals, but I haven't decided yet. Sorry they are giving you grief about trying to get a thorough testing done.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

I crave salt a lot & use a lot but salt water still tastes like @$$ to me. I hide my salt sandwiched between a spoon of applesauce when I need more than I'm getting by salting my food.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

The multi recommended in The Mood Cure is Now Foods True Balance. It has 900 mcg of copper but high Bs.

What do you guys think of this multi? Do you take one? If so, which one? I had a hard time finding one that didn't have wheat grass juice or barley juice.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll respond here as well. I take Perque2 Life Guard for my multivitamin and Perque Bone Guard Forte 20 for my multimineral. They're from my HCP but they can be purchased online. I think they have a good balance of nutrients--the things that seem extra high or extra low, at least the ones that I checked out, made sense once I did some reading (rather than the old, pathetic prenatals I used to take that just put 100% RDA of everything and called it good enough).
Old 03-28-2009, 03:14 PM

Is 900 mcg of copper a lot? I tested as high in copper (not off the charts high, but high normal) and low in zinc so I have to be careful.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Old 03-28-2009, 04:48 PM

thanks for the responses MyLittleWonders and Metasequoia!

ETA: maybe i am getting enough (or closer to enough) salt in my diet then? idk, i don't eat a lot of prepackaged food and i use sea salt in all of my cooking.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

Old 03-28-2009, 04:57 PM

So I'm wondering about the effects of AF on the breastfed infant/ toddler. Here's where I'm going with this: DD has been sleeping badly for the past few weeks - maybe teething, combined with an exposure to one of her allergies, etc. Her sleep was up and down at night but has been settling into a better groove recently. This whole time naps have been okay and my mood has been pretty stable. Until 2 nights ago - she was up for 3 1/2 hrs in the night (no reason I can identify). Since then my anxiety is through the roof. I'm snappy with the kids, feel a lump in my throat, etc. DD can't sleep now during the day unless I'm holding her. This is an old pattern for us but not lately. Obviously the lack of sleep could be stressing my adrenals and she's picking up on my stress level, but I'm wondering whether there is a more biochemical explanation. Does stress affect the quality of BM? Also wondering what to do about it.

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X
Old 03-28-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I crave salt a lot & use a lot but salt water still tastes like @$$ to me. I hide my salt sandwiched between a spoon of applesauce when I need more than I'm getting by salting my food.
Yeah. There are some things I can eat with salt, but I cannot choke down salt water at all.

for intuitive readings click here :
Old 03-29-2009, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I'll respond here as well. I take Perque2 Life Guard for my multivitamin and Perque Bone Guard Forte 20 for my multimineral. They're from my HCP but they can be purchased online. I think they have a good balance of nutrients--the things that seem extra high or extra low, at least the ones that I checked out, made sense once I did some reading (rather than the old, pathetic prenatals I used to take that just put 100% RDA of everything and called it good enough).
Wow, those are expensive! What do you think of Now Foods that is recommended in TMC?

Old 03-29-2009, 06:28 PM

No one responded to my question a couple of pages back about the connection between AF and/or caffeine consumption and uterine fibroids. Just bringing it up again in case anyone had any ideas.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
No one responded to my question a couple of pages back about the connection between AF and/or caffeine consumption and uterine fibroids. Just bringing it up again in case anyone had any ideas.
I believe there is a connection between caffeine and fibroids iirc

for intuitive readings click here :
Old 03-29-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Wow, those are expensive! What do you think of Now Foods that is recommended in TMC?
Mine are sorta expensive, and for most of the past year I've been taking 6/day (the usual dose is 2/day ). I've recently cut back to 4, but may decide to go back to 6.

These are the differences that I see--my health situation is different than yours, of course, so some of these may not matter, some may.

Mine has a lot more of most of the B vitamins, especially B6 (which works with zinc, which mine is also fairly high in--and mine has no copper, and zinc is a big deal for me). I'm taking 6/day which is 75mg of zinc which is a lot. Mine has folate instead of folic acid, and for some folks this really matters, there are fairly common gene variants that make it difficult for people to convert folic acid into folate. whoMe in the detox discussions talks about that more (it has to do with the MTHFR genes, and actually for me I don't think it matters much, but a family history of stroke and maybe early heart disease makes that more likely--testing is really needed to know--check out whoMe's discussion for real details).

Magnesium oxide isn't a great form, but it's better than no mag. Good form of selenium, you probably don't need any copper at all, I bet you have a whole lot of dietary sources. I think roughly a 10:1 ratio of zinc to copper is what most people need, and given that most diets have more copper than zinc, this wouldn't make up a zinc deficiency (my best guess), but it may allow someone to hold steady where they are (again, my best guess).

I haven't gone vitamin shopping in a long time, I'd say these could be a reasonable choice. I'd have to take a whole lot to get the Bs I need, and I'd need a separate zinc, but depending on what you're looking for with them, they could be okay. It seems like the zinc/copper issue, and the folate/folic acid issue are things to consider. And depending on your history of supplementation and your individual needs, you may need more magnesium. I'm guessing you get a fair amount of calcium from stock, but I'm not sure how depleted you feel (childbearing and nursing is so draining). Which is why I use a separate mineral supp for that type of stuff.

I feel like I'm rambling, but I hope this gives you something to think about. And I think the warning is hilarious. "Do not eat freshness packet."
Old 03-29-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
Yeah. There are some things I can eat with salt, but I cannot choke down salt water at all.
Scary thing is, lately, while I can't say I've enjoyed the taste of salty water, I'm able to drink it every morning. I have this feeling that I slacked off in the extra-salt department for quite a while, and now I'm really behind. It's not nasty bad like it used to be. And strangely enough, when I do this, it seems like it makes my blood pressure _lower_ by about 5 points systolic, and maybe a little less diastolic. I don't understand that, but it's gone up and down a few times as I've been good/not good/good with the salt. :
Old 03-30-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieG View Post
So I'm wondering about the effects of AF on the breastfed infant/ toddler. Here's where I'm going with this: DD has been sleeping badly for the past few weeks - maybe teething, combined with an exposure to one of her allergies, etc. Her sleep was up and down at night but has been settling into a better groove recently. This whole time naps have been okay and my mood has been pretty stable. Until 2 nights ago - she was up for 3 1/2 hrs in the night (no reason I can identify). Since then my anxiety is through the roof. I'm snappy with the kids, feel a lump in my throat, etc. DD can't sleep now during the day unless I'm holding her. This is an old pattern for us but not lately. Obviously the lack of sleep could be stressing my adrenals and she's picking up on my stress level, but I'm wondering whether there is a more biochemical explanation. Does stress affect the quality of BM? Also wondering what to do about it.

I posted awhile ago about the huge connection my kids have to my problems through the BM, unfortunately. My older son (4 yo) especially is terribly sensitive, used to have insomnia (awake for 2-3 hours nightly - for some reason I didn't connect it to my own insomnia) and still mostly breastfeeds.

It has been hard to justify breastfeeding him when he has obviously suffered a lot from whatever is awry in my body. If nothing else, when he reacts badly to something I am usually also reacting so I have no patience for his behavior and really have lost it with him repeatedly, though it's getting better. My mom is really disturbed by my continuing to nurse him, to her it seems almost abusive. I can't explain my rationale for doing so, I just can't imagine stopping.

I know this is not really helpful, except I am 100% sure what goes on in my body is passed to my kids. Even my older son's bedwetting is completely physical, it stopped altogether for about a week after he started taking digestive enzymes in the evening (started again after I messed with the regimen, unfortunately).

Sorry for rambling - I don't have any suggestions other than to trust what you observe with your kids and to try to help them by healing yourself, though easier said than done!
Old 03-30-2009, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Tanya, those are good points to consider. I wish it didn't have copper - my zinc is good & I'd hate to ruin a good thing.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks Tanya, those are good points to consider. I wish it didn't have copper - my zinc is good & I'd hate to ruin a good thing.
If your zinc's already good, then this may be okay. It doesn't look like, to me, it will correct a zinc deficiency, but if you're okay, then this could work. I'm still taking crazy amounts of zinc, and if my son is any guide, I probably will be for quite a while. But check into the folate/folic acid thing, that's important for long-term stuff like cancer, and mid-term stuff like detoxification.

User Tag List