THE Adrenal Fatigue Thread - Page 66 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1951 of 2286 Old 05-18-2009, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello-
I just went to my ND this morning and she recommended I do an Adrenal Stressors Index test. Is this the same saliva test I've seen mentioned in this thread a few times? (I have by NO means read the entire thread, heh) So I'll be picking that up to do in a few days. I'm very curious to see what it shows.

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
#1952 of 2286 Old 05-19-2009, 01:00 PM

So, a question regarding the salt flush: if I basically "failed" it in that I was simply rehydrating myself (dh failed too, though we knew that would happen), should we do it every day until we reach a point where we actually do pee copious amounts, thus signifying that we are finally reaching a point of healthy hydration? Should we instead spread it out over a day (say 1/4 teaspoon of salt plus 16 ounces of water every 3 hours)? I know I am dehydrated and I know that no matter how much water I have ever consumed in a day has done nothing to help (maybe this is why the constant headaches, dry lips, dry skin, dry sinus cavities, etc). What is the best way to go about this?

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#1953 of 2286 Old 05-19-2009, 04:18 PM

I would question any doctor who tells you you must eat his way, rather than trying to work with your current diet to modify it slightly. Especially since it looks like the shake he is recommending is one of those MLM schemes. And it's soy protein isolate, which is problematic according to a lot of people, not just Weston Price people. As far as soy in general, I have been thinking about it -- the women at The Farm in Tennessee (where Ina May Gaskin lives) all eat tons of soy, since it's a vegan commune, and they seem ok. But personally, I can't eat it -- it is a migraine trigger for me, so I have that excuse. Women with PCOs actually use soy protein like clomid, to trigger ovulation (I tried, and after suffering from major migrines, I found it useless, but then clomid never worked for me either). I also know someone, who was a vegan for quite a while, who was diagnosed with advanced breast cancer (while she was nursing her baby, who was nine months at the time), who was told to avoid soy by her cancer doctors because of the estrogen in it. She had estrogen-sensitive breast cancer, and apparently soy makes it grow faster. So much for the China study, which said soy didn't make mouse liver tumors grow but casien did. Obviously not all tumors are the same. I'm surprised he wasn't willing to have you try another protein, such as hemp, pea or rice. I would go with what you feel is right.
Personally, I prefer to vary one or two things at a time to see what works, not a complete change like that. Reducing your intake of the things you tested sensitive may be enough. And remember that different tests often find different things. And that elimination and challenging is a far more accurate test of sensitivity than a blood test.
How are your triglycerides? That would be a clue about insulin resistance (I have PCOS too). to you.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#1954 of 2286 Old 05-19-2009, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
MLW, fwiw, I've decided that since I need the sodium every day, and I think it's the chloride half that helps excrete halides, I'm just going to assume I'm giving the halides plenty of ways to get out just by taking my 1 tsp/day plus salting foods.

You were having some issues adding in iodine, right? Hmm.... I never did, I read a theory that it's because my diet was so high in processed foods for years, I ate tons of salt unintentionally and that moderated the amount of halides I've built-up. I was happy cause hey, sometimes sloth and ignorance work out for us, and mostly they haven't for me, so this is nice. Maybe delay the iodine for a while, maybe a month? And take extra salt on a daily basis, and then re-try the iodine? That's totally a guess, I really don't know if it would work.

I think the salt is making me feel better because it's making my body work better, so I'm taking the salt daily for that. Did you mean try to do the flush every day? I'm getting organized this week to take the kids out of town for almost 2 weeks, so I don't think I'm going to be playing with the amt of salt I take until after all that, but I've wondered if I'd do better with more than 1 teaspoon. Maybe you should play around with that?
#1955 of 2286 Old 05-19-2009, 05:18 PM

Tanya, your post reminded me - kidneys have a certain rate that they filter things. Too fast and you start losing things you want, too slow and you reabsorb things you don't want. Salt is one of the very few things that actually affects that filtration rate. I wonder if that's part of why it's making you feel better, it's helping you excrete stuff? I also wonder if I can use that as motivation to do some salty brine shots each morning...

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#1956 of 2286 Old 05-19-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
MLW, fwiw, I've decided that since I need the sodium every day, and I think it's the chloride half that helps excrete halides, I'm just going to assume I'm giving the halides plenty of ways to get out just by taking my 1 tsp/day plus salting foods.

You were having some issues adding in iodine, right? Hmm.... I never did, I read a theory that it's because my diet was so high in processed foods for years, I ate tons of salt unintentionally and that moderated the amount of halides I've built-up. I was happy cause hey, sometimes sloth and ignorance work out for us, and mostly they haven't for me, so this is nice. Maybe delay the iodine for a while, maybe a month? And take extra salt on a daily basis, and then re-try the iodine? That's totally a guess, I really don't know if it would work.

I think the salt is making me feel better because it's making my body work better, so I'm taking the salt daily for that. Did you mean try to do the flush every day? I'm getting organized this week to take the kids out of town for almost 2 weeks, so I don't think I'm going to be playing with the amt of salt I take until after all that, but I've wondered if I'd do better with more than 1 teaspoon. Maybe you should play around with that?
I don't know if I was having issues adding iodine. I did start slowly (well, what I would consider slowly - I did 1/2 a tab of Iodoral for a week and then went up to 1 full tab; now I'm debating 1 1/2 a day for a while to see if I need more). Though I'm not sure if I know what to look for in terms of symptoms of doing too much iodine too quickly. I know I have never been a big salt person, and reading up on bromine issues, they seem to match the symptoms of other things I am dealing with also, so who knows how it is all connected.

If I did the salt flush every day, I'd end up taking 3/4's of a teaspoon of salt a day. Yesterday I added another 1/4 teaspoon later in the day and I think I actually felt a little better. But, it may be the extra B's I'm taking too (I'm doing 1 of the Thorne B Complex #6 plus 1 of the RAW Vitamin Code B's). Or, if it is the iodine slowly starting to take affect. Or if it is all of it together.

This morning I decided on doing the flush again (3/4's teaspoon, this time I think it was spread out more like 20 minutes apart with 16 ounces of water each time) and again did not need to use the bathroom any more than normal. Since I don't usually salt our food (the boys love to eat salt too, so I've been giving them probably a total of 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon throughout the course of a day), I think if I consciously do 3/4 teaspoon in the morning and then one or two more servings later in the day, I might be doing pretty well.

#1957 of 2286 Old 05-20-2009, 11:07 AM

Hi everyone!
This thread is VERY informative. I have been feeling "off" for quite a while now and I am going to the docs on Friday and ordering every blood test available. There is no naturopath doc around me at all but I feel that this is what I have been suffering from Here are my symptoms tell me what you think.

-Exhaustion
-headache-all day/everyday
-Inability to fall asleep
-not staying asleep
-burst of energy in the early evening lasting only about 2-3 hrs
-mild mood issues
-hip pain
-get stressed super easy and can't handle it to well
-naseousness throughout the day
-water tastes nasty but force myself to drink because its good for you and I feel thirsty constantly
-low blood pressure-doc said woohoo...thats great...lol! 90/60 was what it was the last time.
-had blood taken and I had high potassium levels but never went back to get retested.
-brain fog
-forgetfullness
-low sex drive
-generally yucky feeling

What do you think? Could that be it or is it something else?

Thanks for this thread but I can't even concentrate enough to read it

Julie (34)
Mom to 3 boys + 3 girls = PERFECTION joy.gif
Collector of TOYS!
#1958 of 2286 Old 05-20-2009, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sounds like adrenal fatigue, or thyroid or serotonin deficiency - all of which go hand in hand...

Man, I am BEAT! Beat I say! I had to wake up at 5am on Monday to sign us up for Y classes. My sister was in labor all night & I was going to be present ofr her homebirth. So I was up all day at her house, supporting her & she had the baby at 12:50 am on 5/19 (yesterday.) I didn't get home until 4am, so I was up for 23 hours straight! I was still going on adrenaline when I woke up at 9am yesterday & then cooked food for her all day yesterday (she's vegan so I'm trying to get as much good stuff into her as possible - lots of soaked quinoa, coconut milk & oil, avocados, etc.) I took her food over & ended up staying with her & the baby until after 9pm & by then the exhaustion had hit. I was so tired I was dizzy. I didn't get to bed last night until 10pm & then I had to wake at 5am again to sign up for the non-aquatic classes at the Y. I am feeling awful. I have a headache that won't quit & am just really run down. I think I need to go to bed tonight at 7pm & hopefully sleep until at least 8am.
But man, the high from a birth is just amazing. It's like eating liver!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#1959 of 2286 Old 05-20-2009, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oh, I meant to add - before my sister's birth, I had been feeling *very* calm & good - lots of energy & just feeling really good. I started ACE sublingual drops a couple of weeks ago & I started a multi-mineral supp last week & have also been taking *a lot* of magnesium citrate (powder form.) I don't know if it was one of these things or a combo, but I was loving the calm feeling. I can't wait until I can catch up on some rest & feel better again so I can achieve that calmness & energy once again.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#1960 of 2286 Old 05-20-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
I would question any doctor who tells you you must eat his way, rather than trying to work with your current diet to modify it slightly. Especially since it looks like the shake he is recommending is one of those MLM schemes. . . .
This is the only holistic doctor around, which means I have to drive probably 1.5 hours or more to find someone else. My body doesn't need some powdered junk to heal. My body needs real minerals and vitamins from real foods. Suggesting I switch my organic pastured meats out in favor of questionable soy seems just silly.

After doing some reading, I decided to add complex carbs to every meal and snack. I've been so worried since curing my insulin resistance with a low-carb diet about redeveloping insulin resistance, that I've been lower-carb for years. In two days of upping my carbs, I feel really tired and even zonked out during DD's naptime. This is probably a good thing because I've been so short on sleep the past two years, and resting will certainly benefit me.

What irks me, is that I had PCOS symptoms at puberty and my pediatrician did nothing. I was diagnosed at age 23 only after finding an endocrinologist who specializes in PCOS. Now reading up on AF, I realize that I've had some of these symptoms since a teenager as well.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#1961 of 2286 Old 05-20-2009, 04:20 PM

I had my consult. Apparently I'm not a good methylator. Surprise, surprise. He wanted me to do B12 injections but I was like, uh. nope. No can do. So I'm going to do a transdermal cream.

Glutathione is next. Which I suspected I needed. Good thing is, my dd is on both of those so we can share. And she's thrilled about that.

Iron.

And bioidenticals. Apparently I'm not anemic and so the low ferritin count wouldn't necessarily cause the fatigue I feel, but getting my hormones under control will. I'm all for that.

And, a custom amino blend.

Hooray! I have a plan. And I feel SUCH relief in just knowing that.
#1962 of 2286 Old 05-20-2009, 06:22 PM

nak
remind me with whom the consult was, annikate?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#1963 of 2286 Old 05-21-2009, 01:05 AM

This week was my first period since starting my suppliments, and it was wierd. I was wondering if anyone else had a strange period after replacing hormones. I'm not sure what it means. I started feeling on Monday as though I might be getting a yeast infection. On Monday night I put in a suppository (yay Yeast Guard!), and saw the first signs of blood then. On Tuesday I had a regular flow, pretty normal for the first day for me. Then, today I had almost nothing. Just some spots, barely enough to color my urine. I'm worried about this because I don't want to be making my reproductive system any worse.
Did anyone else experience something similar?
#1964 of 2286 Old 05-21-2009, 01:10 AM

I've had times when my cycle has sort of sputtered in a start, stop, start pattern. For me, and I have no idea how representative this is for other people, it seems to be partly a function of how bad my adrenals are and how my thyroid's doing. When my thyroid was bad, I had a fairly normal cycle, but when my thyroid improved and my adrenals hadn't, then I had the funky start-stop-start thing. I think it takes a while to see improvement in adrenals, so I wouldn't necessarily assume it's a bad thing. I saw thyroid improvement quickly with supps, 2 weeks, so maybe something else is changing faster than your adrenals?
#1965 of 2286 Old 05-21-2009, 02:01 AM

Tanya, I'm relieved to hear that. It's quite possibly the same situation for me. Here's what the DR wrote in the notes on my test results:

Quote:
Because T4 is within normal range this suggests poor hepatic
conversion of T4 to T3. This may be caused by nutrient deficiency (e.g., zinc and/or selenium), low hGH (low IGF-1), heavy
metal toxicity, liver dysfunction, or steroid hormone imbalances (high estradiol, low progesterone, low testosterone, low or high
cortisol).
I've been supplimenting with zinc and slenium, DHEA (for testosterone which was low) and using a progesterone cream during my luteal phase (progesterone was also low-this was the first time). All of that may have corrected my thyroid issue and left my Adrena's behind.

Thanks, I'd love to hear what others think about this too.
#1966 of 2286 Old 05-21-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
nak
remind me with whom the consult was, annikate?
Actually my girls' DAN doc. He does biomedical treatments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessKristie View Post
This week was my first period since starting my suppliments, and it was wierd. I was wondering if anyone else had a strange period after replacing hormones. I'm not sure what it means. I started feeling on Monday as though I might be getting a yeast infection. On Monday night I put in a suppository (yay Yeast Guard!), and saw the first signs of blood then. On Tuesday I had a regular flow, pretty normal for the first day for me. Then, today I had almost nothing. Just some spots, barely enough to color my urine. I'm worried about this because I don't want to be making my reproductive system any worse.
Did anyone else experience something similar?
Yes, I have this but it's not from replacing hormones, it's just naturally messed up.

My period starts, stops for a day and starts again and has for a year or more. I read somewhere that this is a symptom of AF. :
#1967 of 2286 Old 05-21-2009, 11:59 AM

I was told Tuesday that I likely have thyroid (T3?) or adrenal issues (or both I guess). I know I have hormonal problems including low progesterone. I know I have vitamin D deficiency. I know I have coq10 deficiency. My thyroid levels my doctor ran last year were normal or I was told they were anyway.

I wondered if some of you could answer a few questions for me. I'm really lost/didn't see this coming. I was just looking for something we may have missed (my health completley fell apart a year ago in some pretty scary ways). Adrenal problems was mentioned to me earlier but we had just found out about the other deficiencies and so it seemed likely to me I had my answer.

But my questions:
1. I need to do a saliva test. I take melatonin and someone told me it can affect cortisol function. I am thinking, though, I may want to keep taking it as I take it every night to sleep. Don't I want an accurate picture of things? Or maybe I won't need it when we address whatever is going on. The doctor said it doesn't interfere with the lab. I honestly need it to sleep at night.

2. Is this possibly why I'm having such a horrible time with sleep. I'm exhausted all morning and even take a long nap most days (10-1). Then I do ok until late afternoon/early evening. My kids go down and I'm ok and then tired and then suddenly completely awake around 11. If I go to bed early (in that evening lull) I suddenly wake up at 11 and nothing gets me back to sleep. If I skip the nap I'm even worse and all my neuro and nerve things act up. The night is my highest energy point in the day. I sleep like absolute junk most of the night. Does that sound familiar to anyone? I should mention I also found out Tuesday that I have sleep apnea..found on a test late last year that my (gonna be former : ) doctor told me was "a little abnormal but not enough to cause your symptoms". The report said I needed a machine to keep my airway open. I'm really irritated the doctor withheld that information given how sick I have been.

3. Does this have anything to do with my vitamin D levels?

4. Is T3 different than the thyroid panel the regular doctor ran last year?

I'd love any thoughts.

Oh, another thing. Ever since the appointment I actually feel worse! I had been doing better as I'm improving my Vitamin D and co-q-10 levels. I think it's all mental. Maybe I'm a little depressed to find out something else might be wrong and maybe I'm feeling guilty that I was probably sick in yet another way during the pregnancy with my kids.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#1968 of 2286 Old 05-21-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
Yes, I have this but it's not from replacing hormones, it's just naturally messed up.

My period starts, stops for a day and starts again and has for a year or more. I read somewhere that this is a symptom of AF. :
Until this period mine were nearly perfect. 4 or 5 days, med. flow the first 3 or 4 and light for the last. 26 day cycles, rarely had cramps. This one I had cramping and it was only one regular flow day and one very very light flow day. Still 26 days. I guess I'll just assume it's normal.
Thanks a bunch ladies I was scared that I had messed things up further.
#1969 of 2286 Old 05-21-2009, 12:27 PM

I think a lot of us are "night owls" because our cortisol's messed up.
T3 should have been one of the tests ordered on your panels last year. Usually it's TSH, FreeT4 and FreeT3, if I'm not mistaken.
As you address your vitamin D deficiency, a LOT of things are going to change, I would think. Vitamin D is what is used to produce cholesterol which is basically used to produce every other hormone your body makes...

Not sure if any of that's helpful, sbgrace.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#1970 of 2286 Old 05-21-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Actually my girls' DAN doc. He does biomedical treatments.

This is me, and has been since about the time of my first ppd cycle after ds#3 (about 1 1/2 years ago). I didn't realize it was related to adrenals until very, very recently.

#1971 of 2286 Old 05-21-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
Maybe I'm a little depressed to find out something else might be wrong and maybe I'm feeling guilty that I was probably sick in yet another way during the pregnancy with my kids.
Try not to do the guilt. It's hard when you feel bad to keep a good attitude about things, but try not to get bogged down by this. Thing is--it's not like you did anything deliberately to hurt your kids, and you weren't even negligent about things you _should've_ known. None of this stuff is common knowledge, and you're working your rear off for your boys now. They are lucky to have you. Seriously.

I had to get past some guilt as well, I think we've been on enough common threads that you know what's going on with me and my kids. And it's really not my fault. I didn't have a lot of clues back then--the stress of pregnancy and nursing took a big toll on me, and you've had extra stressors beyond that--and it's just not common knowledge that some of the subtle symptoms are actually important clues.

Substantially--T4 to T3 conversion (T3 is the form of thyroid hormone your body actively uses) is dependent of on selenium status. And that varies depending on soil/food supply, and your nutrition/gut health and how much you need. Sometimes docs won't run free-T3 and free-T4, or if they do and you're in the normal range, you'll hear everything is fine, but people who feel good are in the top third of the reference range for each of those. I know I felt like death warmed over when my TSH rose from 1.05 to 1.55, and 1.55 probably wouldn't flag as a problem for anyone (and none of my old docs ran the frees).

Your energy highs and lows sound just like me. That's classic for adrenal issues, and it is _so_ hard to live like that. I'd say stay with the melatonin, I've been able to see how I'm doing, basically, just with symptoms so I haven't tested, but I wouldn't want to/be willing to give up my melatonin.

Adrenal hormones and vitamin D and cholesterol and progesteron are all chemically related. I'm low in everything, but I know some people can have just a few of those low.

The lifestyle stuff, cutting out caffeine/extra sugar (I can't even attempt all sugar, not yet anyway), protein with breakfast and frequent snacks, those things all helped, but when I first figured out I had more going on, and that it was going to be a long-haul to get better, and really had to accept that my body was messed up, I felt worse for a few weeks. Even my HCP was worried at first, I felt like a mac truck had run over me for 2-3 weeks, and then I actually started slowly getting more energy and doing a bit better. For me part of it was acknowledging that I didn't have a problem that would be all gone in 6 months, and telling myself that it was okay to slow down, I _needed_ to slow down and baby myself for quite a while. Mentally that was a big change, and I think that internal tension releasing was important for me getting better, but that's why I felt totally wiped out for a few weeks. Try to roll with it if you can.
#1972 of 2286 Old 05-21-2009, 02:09 PM

Well, doh!

Looks like I will not be getting bioidenticals after all. Which I wasn't sure I wanted anyway.

The test results my doc interpreted based on blood work I had taken *while* I was taking the DHEA supplement and I totally forgot to remind him that I had been taking it. (It was given to me by a different doc several months ago.)

I stopped that DHEA a few weeks ago after figuring out that it was making me feel worse instead of better.

I am glad I caught this though. Holy cow, imagine the mess I could have been in?
#1973 of 2286 Old 05-21-2009, 02:11 PM

sbgrace, I have had to get past the guilt thing too. Guilt. What a terrible thing.

You know, we are all so very fortunate to be taking the path to wellness right now. *That* is what counts.

Think of it: many many people go through their whole lives feeling terrible and have no idea how or even why they should (or that they can ) fix it.
#1974 of 2286 Old 05-21-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
My period starts, stops for a day and starts again and has for a year or more. I read somewhere that this is a symptom of AF.
Does anyone know where I can find it written that this is a symptom of AF? I read it on a website a long time ago but I can't figure out where I saw it. I've had this for years and years, and it's gotten worse in the last year - starts and stops twice, which really prolongs the duration. The integrative doctor I saw yesterday had never heard of anyone having this problem, and she really didn't think I had symptoms of AF, which I disagree with. I'll start a separate post on that.
#1975 of 2286 Old 05-21-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablover View Post
Does anyone know where I can find it written that this is a symptom of AF? I read it on a website a long time ago but I can't figure out where I saw it. I've had this for years and years, and it's gotten worse in the last year - starts and stops twice, which really prolongs the duration. The integrative doctor I saw yesterday had never heard of anyone having this problem, and she really didn't think I had symptoms of AF, which I disagree with. I'll start a separate post on that.
I think it was here. Link doesn't seem to be working though.

I'm pretty sure that someone here posted the link where I read it though, so if it wasn't that one, maybe someone else knows.
#1976 of 2286 Old 05-21-2009, 04:02 PM

Thanks for your thoughts. It's actually comforting (if sad) to know that others have felt the way I'm feeling emotionally. Made me tear up actually.

I feel like I don't know enough yet to contribute much but I'm learning a lot just reading through this thread!

I think I saw a link on the AF stuff last night. I'll see if I can find it again. It fits me especially in the last few months so it stuck in my mind. Do you think progesterone levels are tied in with that perhaps? I also attributed my spotting start, stop, spotting start, stop, pattern as part of progesterone deficiency. And I think progesterone is tied to adrenal fatigue if I'm reading this correctly. I'm going to keep looking but all I can find is heavy, stop for a day or two, then start again which isn't what you're talking about I don't think?

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#1977 of 2286 Old 05-21-2009, 04:26 PM

This is my Cliff's Notes to thyroid stuff:

This post has more info about T3 and T4 testing and meds. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...6&postcount=94

Here is "Recommended Labwork": http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com...ended-labwork/

Mistakes Patients Make: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com...patients-make/

This post is about the nutritional issues and thyroid function.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...9&postcount=68
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=285
This is a list of supplements and how they function in the body. http://ithyroid.com/supplement_list.htm

I always recommend whole foods for nutritional support. Check the site "World's Healthiest Foods". It lists each of those nutrients and the foods most dense with that nutrient. http://www.whfoods.com/nutrientstoc.php Also, elimination of specific foods: cabbage, peaches, radishes, soy, peanuts, spinach and rutabagas which can interfere with thyroid hormone production.

Most of our diets are depleted in magnesium. We use Natural Calm. It is most bio-available. You want magnesium citrate. We also supplement with CLO for Vit A and Omega 3, zinc, selenium and iodine and B-vitamins, vit C, iron. I eat my two Brazil nuts (maximum, cause more can be too much selenium). And other food sources for the nutrients. Here is a list of nutrients to be sure are adequate in your diet: http://webhome.idirect.com/~wolfnowl/thyroid13.htm Hormones are also influenced greatly by the types of fats you eat. You need healthy saturated fats (avocado and coconut), and essential fatty acids: cod liver oil.

Iodine supplementation is another avenue to research: http://www.iodine4health.com/disease/disease.htm Here is more info about this important nutrient: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=272 Kelp is the seaweed highest in iodine and for example, you would need approx. 1 teaspoon a day of www.seaveg.com kelp to get 12.5 mg. Iodized salt is not a good source. Real sea salt is good but not sufficient. Selenium in conjunction is important.

Adrenal fatigue is also interconnected with stress, cortisol exhaustion, and thyroid levels.

I'd also strongly recommend seeing a classical homeopath. Homeopathy can help to address hormonal balance.

My (limited) understanding is that the blood test for thyroid function is not as accurate for *bio-available* levels of thyroid function. See this old post of mine with more info: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=984

The recommendation is to have *saliva* testing done for progesterone estrogen, testosterone, cortisol, AND thyroid.

The hormones are interconnected. Basically, the thyroid, progesterone, estrogen, testosterone and cortisol levels all need to be evaluated, as they change over the course of day.

Also, evening primrose and magnesium help with hormonal balance. Gut health is important to nutrient absorption which impacts hormone production and weight gain, new studies show.

So, I'd start with the "Healing The Gut-cheat sheet" at the top of the forum. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=434071

I don't do guilt, lol. So, I can't speak to that. I can only know what I know and even that changes.

Pat

I have a blog.
#1978 of 2286 Old 05-21-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I'm going to keep looking but all I can find is heavy, stop for a day or two, then start again which isn't what you're talking about I don't think?
That's exactly what I'm looking for. I experience heavy/normal for 2 1/2 days, abrupt stop for 24 hrs (now even up to 48 hrs), then start again.
#1979 of 2286 Old 05-21-2009, 04:34 PM

http://www.drlam.com/articles/adrenal_fatigue.asp
Here's one link which is the one I found last night. I did a google after you posted (I did: adrenal fatigue +period +stop +heavy) There were lots. A lot did say stop on fourth day though.

The pattern you're describing is more like me (day three for me is an adrupt stop or pause as it happens to be). I also take forever to actually start in the first place which I attribute completely to the progesterone issue I have.

#1980 of 2286 Old 05-21-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
http://www.drlam.com/articles/adrenal_fatigue.asp
Here's one link which is the one I found last night.
Wow! This is the best article I've ever read written on this subject. I've forwarded it to several friends and read every word. I highly suggest anyone considering if they have adrenal fatigue to read it. It has many holistic suggestions. I'm going to start a "10pm Bedtime Club". Anyone want to join me? I know SLEEP is a huge key. And eating breakfast by 10am!! 10pm Bedtime Club

Pat

I have a blog.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page