THE Adrenal Fatigue Thread - Page 69 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#2041 of 2288 Old 07-06-2009, 02:53 PM
 
ChristieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Zuni mountains, NM
Posts: 1,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
What form of B12 are you using? Cyanocobalamin isn't well utilized, and sublingual is easiest to absorb. If you've been eating meat but are still low on B12, I'd also look for a zinc deficiency - does eating beets turn your pee pink? You can also buy zinc sulfate and do a taste test for a more 'official' test.
www.detoxpuzzle.com/b12.php
I'm using methylcobalamin, in sublingual lozenges. I split the tablet and take half in the morning and half in the evening, with meals. 1000 mcg/day. Yes, I'm eating meat, lots of it. I think I was deficient in zinc a few years ago. I take about 40 mg of zinc/day, sometimes 50 mg. Is that enough? Next time we're in town, I'll try getting the zinc sulfate. I don't know about what I do with beets. No one else here tolerates them so I just don't bother with them. They were never a favorite food for me anyway (not that I dislike them, they've just never been something I've eaten much of). I do always take an enzyme with my food (including the liver), if that matters.

There are definitely reasons to think that my digestion isn't what it should be, and so my absorption wouldn't be what it should be. I have celiac, and I've been GF for about 3 yrs. I don't think I've totally healed yet. I seem to be deficient in a lot of things. Gluten seems to affect me more neurologically than digestively, but as we all know, things aren't always what they seem.

Plus, we had something growing in our water filter (there was pink goo hanging from the faucet). I don't know why it bothered me more than anyone else in the family, but it really messed up my gut. I've not been drinking from there, just our regular well water, and things are improving, but I'm not totally better, either. That's a shorter term thing, though.

I suspect that I've always had some trouble with B-12 absorption. Years ago I had to take injections. I don't think I was tested to see what my levels were. A dr. just prescribed the injections for my awful headaches and menstrual cramps. It really helped! I stopped needing them for symptom relief, so I just stopped using them. Then after I was diagnosed with MS, a dr. (who I still really respect, and who mostly has very good advice) told me not to take B-12 supps or injections. He said that he'd seen some people get really, really sick from it (esp. the injections). So I haven't for the last 6 yrs., even when I suspected that I needed to raise my B-12 level (he suggested liver, which I didn't stick with -- I've come a looong way in what I'm willing to eat). Well, now I'm really, really sick from NOT having enough, so I'm taking the liver, but also the supps, and I will inject if need be. I suspect that a large part of the problem that he's seen with the injections has been from the preservatives. I've always used preservative-free.

We'll see what happens. I suspect that I've not been absorbing it well, and I've now run out of the supply that my liver was storing from taking it so regularly in injection form. I'll need to build it up again. We'll see when we test again whether what I'm doing is sufficient or not.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
ChristieB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2042 of 2288 Old 07-06-2009, 03:26 PM
 
Theloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: some planet
Posts: 6,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you can swing it, it could tell you a lot if you get beet pee - you need enough stomach acid to absorb the B12, and it sounds like you definitely have absorption issues with it. Which means liver may be a great source, but if you're not absorbing it well from the meat you're already eating, you're likely not going to absorb it any better from the liver. It's probably one of the other wonder of liver that's making you feel so much better?

I really should try some raw liver. I've never noticed these amazing benefits you all are talk of... Then again, my body doesn't seem to follow anybody's rules, so there ya go!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Theloose is offline  
#2043 of 2288 Old 07-06-2009, 03:52 PM
 
ChristieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Zuni mountains, NM
Posts: 1,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My enzymes have HCL in them, but I have no idea if it's enough. I'll see if I can get a couple beets for myself next time we're in town.

You know, I've noticed a little bit of improvement, sometimes, when I've tried the liver before. But it was never enough for me to be consistent. This time, I was figuring that if it was for the B-12, it would be a longer term thing, and I might not see results right away, so I stuck with it. It took about 3 days, I think, for me to really start noticing it. And I've been very consistent, taking it 2-3 times/day, not missing a day. Maybe that's been an issue for you? Or maybe your body's just different.

Speaking of liver, I need to go cut some more liver so I can stay consistent. The biggest challenge for me is that when I cut the liver, my 2 yo stands right next me, eating it almost as fast as I can cut it. I like that he likes it, and I know it's good for him, but it's just too much work! If he asks for some when I'm taking it, I give him a couple pieces, which isn't a problem. It's when he chows down on it and I can't enough cut last me more than a meal or two. I guess there are worse things.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
ChristieB is offline  
#2044 of 2288 Old 07-06-2009, 04:40 PM
 
Theloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: some planet
Posts: 6,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmm, dd would totally do the same thing, but i would figure the more she eats, the less i have to

Where is everyone finding their liver?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Theloose is offline  
#2045 of 2288 Old 07-06-2009, 04:52 PM
 
mom61508's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
It matters in the sense that you can't properly treat your Hashi's until your Adrenal Fatigue has been addressed.
Re: your gluten comment above this one, it's strongly recommended that anyone with an autoimmune disorder s/a Hashimoto's go off of gluten as it's been shown to exacerbate autoimmune conditions.
I have no link, but hopefully someone else will.
Yes just read info on gluten/hashis
mom61508 is offline  
#2046 of 2288 Old 07-06-2009, 04:59 PM
 
Theloose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: some planet
Posts: 6,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
Yes just read info on gluten/hashis
No, it's great! It means now you have another huge piece of the puzzle to get healthier!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Theloose is offline  
#2047 of 2288 Old 07-06-2009, 05:46 PM
 
ChristieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Zuni mountains, NM
Posts: 1,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Hmm, dd would totally do the same thing, but i would figure the more she eats, the less i have to

Where is everyone finding their liver?
I get mine from the same place I get the rest of my grassfed beef. I don't know where you are, but they're in southern CO and they ship, if you're interested.

ETA: you don't have to "eat" it. I just swallow down the chunks like they were pills.


Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
No, it's great! It means now you have another huge piece of the puzzle to get healthier!
Absolutely!

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
ChristieB is offline  
#2048 of 2288 Old 07-06-2009, 05:50 PM
 
mom61508's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
No, it's great! It means now you have another huge piece of the puzzle to get healthier!
yes you are right!!! I tried gluten free for 2 weeks then stopped because i didn't notice a difference but from what I've read that's not enough time.

And I was having a hard time transitioning. I never felt full so i need to become more familiar with millet, quinoa, beans, etc to feel satisfied. I'm skinny so I need subatance to keep meat on my bones. Not a vegetarian but the only meat i eat is chicken and turkey about twice a week. Some seafood as well.
Has anyone tried dr. rons products for adrenals?
mom61508 is offline  
#2049 of 2288 Old 07-06-2009, 05:53 PM
 
mom61508's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh ya could gluten sensitivity cause reflux?
My throat has been feeling strange(tightness/pressure) for about 6 weeks now

Not sure if that would be reflux or my thyoid
mom61508 is offline  
#2050 of 2288 Old 07-06-2009, 06:26 PM
 
ChristieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Zuni mountains, NM
Posts: 1,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, gluten can cause reflux.

It's possible that you don't feel full eating GF because your body is missing the gluten. In that case, it will take time. When you eat gluten, what do you eat that helps you to feel full? That may give you a clue as to what you'll need to add to feel full while eating GF.

Our family is grain-free (we've just added buckwheat occasionally, but technically that's not a grain, although it does have some similarities). It took us a little while to get used to it, and to figure out what to eat to satisfy us. To feel full, we eat plenty of fat, eggs, lots of meat (sorry, but it does help), and lots of veggies. Something ele that really helps is eating fermented veggies with our meals. I don't know why, but it really helps us to feel more satisfied. And don't forget about potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Feel free to ask any questions you have. It takes some getting used to, but it is soooo worth it!

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
ChristieB is offline  
#2051 of 2288 Old 07-07-2009, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
 
Metasequoia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In the village
Posts: 5,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillpicklechip View Post
Most stuff I read about AF says that the most important thing you have to do to heal yourself is to reduce stress in your life. This is so, so hard for me, especially since I have so little tolerance for stress to begin with, so things that might not be stressful for a "normal" person are stressful for me.
Yep, it'll definitely get more manageable once your adrenals start healing. Not being able to handle stress is the classic symptom of adrenal fatigue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieB View Post
Speaking of liver, I need to go cut some more liver so I can stay consistent. The biggest challenge for me is that when I cut the liver, my 2 yo stands right next me, eating it almost as fast as I can cut it. I like that he likes it, and I know it's good for him, but it's just too much work! If he asks for some when I'm taking it, I give him a couple pieces, which isn't a problem. It's when he chows down on it and I can't enough cut last me more than a meal or two. I guess there are worse things.
Same with me, but it's my cat. She eats a grain free canned food but passes it right by when I get the liver out. Dd1 eats it too, but not as much as your 2 y.o.

I take the liver out & run an end of it under warm water for a minute - then it slices really easily. I have only been eating it in the mornings, but I think I'm going to increase it to 2-3 times every day. Does it interfere with your sleep if you take it later in the day? What's the latest time you take it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Where is everyone finding their liver?
Our natural living group does beef co-ops a couple of times a year & I'm always the last stop. I get about 4 boxes of organs every time because nobody wants them! Tongues, hearts, livers, tails...good stuff & free!

Hey - does anyone have a Hashi's-gluten link or links?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Metasequoia is offline  
#2052 of 2288 Old 07-07-2009, 10:46 PM
 
ChristieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Zuni mountains, NM
Posts: 1,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I take the liver at breakfast and at dinner, and if I'm home I take it at lunch, too. Dinner is usually about 4 hrs. before bed. The only time I had trouble sleeping was when I was trying to make up for lost time (I missed the liver at breakfast and lunch) and took it both at dinner and at bedtime. Bad plan! But dinner is OK. I take between 8-12 little chunks at a meal.

I'll have to remember that about running it under warm water. Would it work for a whole liver? We got some liver from some neighbors who butchered 2 grassfed steers. When I asked for the livers, I figured they'd be sliced, or in smallish packages, but they were WHOLE. I still haven't figured out what to do with them. The other liver I get is always in 1-1.5 lb. packages, all sliced up. I lay those slices out on parchment and let them freeze. Then I remove them from the freezer, and it only takes them a couple minutes to be right for slicing. It would be great if it were as easy as running a portion of the liver under water, for the whole livers.




re: Hashimoto's

mom61508, have you heard about LDN (low-dose naltrexone)? What I've read is that it works so well for Hashi's that you have to be really careful with dosing (both with the LDN and with thyroid meds). Anyway, I thought I'd mention it. I just recently started taking it for MS. So far, my eczema is gone, but nothing else that's easy to put a finger on. I just notice that if I miss it I don't have quite as good a day the following day. I'm not complaining, though, because the biggest thing it does for MS is to stop disease progression, and that's a longer term sort of thing to notice.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
ChristieB is offline  
#2053 of 2288 Old 07-08-2009, 05:18 PM
 
mom61508's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieB View Post
I take the liver at breakfast and at dinner, and if I'm home I take it at lunch, too. Dinner is usually about 4 hrs. before bed. The only time I had trouble sleeping was when I was trying to make up for lost time (I missed the liver at breakfast and lunch) and took it both at dinner and at bedtime. Bad plan! But dinner is OK. I take between 8-12 little chunks at a meal.

I'll have to remember that about running it under warm water. Would it work for a whole liver? We got some liver from some neighbors who butchered 2 grassfed steers. When I asked for the livers, I figured they'd be sliced, or in smallish packages, but they were WHOLE. I still haven't figured out what to do with them. The other liver I get is always in 1-1.5 lb. packages, all sliced up. I lay those slices out on parchment and let them freeze. Then I remove them from the freezer, and it only takes them a couple minutes to be right for slicing. It would be great if it were as easy as running a portion of the liver under water, for the whole livers.




re: Hashimoto's

mom61508, have you heard about LDN (low-dose naltrexone)? What I've read is that it works so well for Hashi's that you have to be really careful with dosing (both with the LDN and with thyroid meds). Anyway, I thought I'd mention it. I just recently started taking it for MS. So far, my eczema is gone, but nothing else that's easy to put a finger on. I just notice that if I miss it I don't have quite as good a day the following day. I'm not complaining, though, because the biggest thing it does for MS is to stop disease progression, and that's a longer term sort of thing to notice.
Thank you
From what I've read it's not natural and I'm trying to stay as natural as possible with my treatment. I'm also still BF a 13month old
mom61508 is offline  
#2054 of 2288 Old 07-08-2009, 05:44 PM
 
ChristieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Zuni mountains, NM
Posts: 1,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's true it's not natural, as it is a medication. And because of that I almost didn't post about it here. But it is a super low dose, and it works to help the body to work as it should, with few if any side affects. And for many with an autoimmune disease, it's really the lesser of "evils". Just an FYI, I looked into it a lot, and it's safe to take while breasfeeding (even in the higher doses, which isn't what is used for autoimmune diseases).

But I don't want to push anyone to take it. I totally understand where you're coming from. It took me a few years to get to the point where it was something I wanted to try (although I do wish I'd tried it sooner, since I've had some neurological damage done in the meanwhile). In fact, it was only after trying natural method after natural method, and still having disease progression. Everything helped, and I'm absolutely going to stick with the lifestyle changes I've made, along with acupuncture and homeopathy. But for me, nothing stopped the disease progression, and I have two little boys depending on me. I don't know all there is to know about Hashi's, so I don't know if these things apply or not. I just wanted to throw it out there, in case you hadn't heard about it, and in case it was something that you would be interested in.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
ChristieB is offline  
#2055 of 2288 Old 07-08-2009, 06:00 PM
 
mom61508's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieB View Post
It's true it's not natural, as it is a medication. And because of that I almost didn't post about it here. But it is a super low dose, and it works to help the body to work as it should, with few if any side affects. And for many with an autoimmune disease, it's really the lesser of "evils". Just an FYI, I looked into it a lot, and it's safe to take while breasfeeding (even in the higher doses, which isn't what is used for autoimmune diseases).

But I don't want to push anyone to take it. I totally understand where you're coming from. It took me a few years to get to the point where it was something I wanted to try (although I do wish I'd tried it sooner, since I've had some neurological damage done in the meanwhile). In fact, it was only after trying natural method after natural method, and still having disease progression. Everything helped, and I'm absolutely going to stick with the lifestyle changes I've made, along with acupuncture and homeopathy. But for me, nothing stopped the disease progression, and I have two little boys depending on me. I don't know all there is to know about Hashi's, so I don't know if these things apply or not. I just wanted to throw it out there, in case you hadn't heard about it, and in case it was something that you would be interested in.
THANK YOU so much
I understand and it's scary being where we are and not knowing EXACTLY what will help. I have been slacking on things so I realy need to give things a committed try and will keep your recommendation in mind for the future

What have you done as far as homeopathy?
mom61508 is offline  
#2056 of 2288 Old 07-08-2009, 11:03 PM
 
ChristieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Zuni mountains, NM
Posts: 1,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I consult with a classical homeopath from time to time, and he prescribes remedies.

I'm glad you're going to try being more consistent with your natural methods and see what that accomplishes for you. I'm sure it will make a difference for you. Like I said, it's made a real difference for me.

And like I said in an earlier post, if you need help with going GF, just ask. I'd be happy to help troubleshoot, and others here are GF too.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
ChristieB is offline  
#2057 of 2288 Old 07-09-2009, 01:53 PM
 
Dillpicklechip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone here have experience taking licorice root while breastfeeding? I've seen a lot of stuff online saying that it might interfere with milk supply, is this really the case?

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
Dillpicklechip is offline  
#2058 of 2288 Old 07-09-2009, 04:18 PM
 
mom61508's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieB View Post
I consult with a classical homeopath from time to time, and he prescribes remedies.

I'm glad you're going to try being more consistent with your natural methods and see what that accomplishes for you. I'm sure it will make a difference for you. Like I said, it's made a real difference for me.

And like I said in an earlier post, if you need help with going GF, just ask. I'd be happy to help troubleshoot, and others here are GF too.
much thanks. I've been doing a lot or researching on GF. Do you make your own bread?
mom61508 is offline  
#2059 of 2288 Old 07-10-2009, 09:38 PM
 
ChristieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Zuni mountains, NM
Posts: 1,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
much thanks. I've been doing a lot or researching on GF. Do you make your own bread?
I PM'd you.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
ChristieB is offline  
#2060 of 2288 Old 07-10-2009, 10:38 PM
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
much thanks. I've been doing a lot or researching on GF. Do you make your own bread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieB View Post
I PM'd you.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold up there, cowgirl. Are you holding out on us? Share the wealth.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#2061 of 2288 Old 07-11-2009, 03:18 AM
 
ChristieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Zuni mountains, NM
Posts: 1,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold up there, cowgirl. Are you holding out on us? Share the wealth.
Sorry, didn't mean to leave anyone out. I was just trying not to derail this thread any more than I already have. And I can't really say there's any "wealth" here, anyway. Here's what I sent via PM:

I used to make GF bread, but haven't in a few years (we're grain-free now). I used a recipe in Bette Hagman's book The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread. Here is the recipe. I've included the directions for using a mixer (like a Kitchenaid), but I assume that if you just have a hand mixer that would work, too. If you use a bread machine, you'll need to follow the instructions that came with the machine.

Basic Featherlight Rice Bread

Dry Ingredients:
3 cups Featherlight Rice Flour Mix (I've included it after this recipe )
2 1/4 tsp. Xanthan gum (can substitute guar gum)
1 1/2 tsp. Unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 tsp. Egg Replacer
3/4 tsp. Salt
3 Tbs. Sugar (I left it out)
1/3 cup Dry milk powder or non-dairy substitute (I used almond meal)
2 1/4 tsp. Dry yeast granules

Wet Ingredients:
1 Egg plus 2 Whites
4 1/2 Tbs. Butter
3/4 tsp. Vinegar
1 Tbs. Honey or molasses (I used 1 1/2 Tbs. honey, since I left out the sugar)
1 1/2 cups Water (more or less)

Grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan and dust with rice flour.

The water should be 110 degrees.

For both hand mixing and machine mixing, combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.

In another bowl (or the bowl of your heavy-duty mixer) whisk the egg whites, butter (cut into chunks), vinegar, and honey until blended. Add most of the water to the egg mixture. The remaining water shold be added as needed after the bread has started mixing.

With the mixer turned to low, add the dry ingredients (including the yeast) a little at a time. Check to be sure the dough is the right consistency (should be like cake batter). Add more of the water as necessary. Turn the mixer to high and beat for 3 1/2 minutes. Spoon into the prepared pan, cover, and let rise ina warm place for about 35 minutes for rapid-rising yeast, 60 or more minutes for regular yeast or until the dough reaches the top of the pan. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 50-60 minutes, covering after 10 minutes with aluminum foil.

Featherlight Rice Flour Mix

Rice flour (1 part)
Tapioca flour (1 part)
Cornstarch (1 part) -- I used Arrowroot
Potato flour (1 teaspoon per cup)

I used brown rice flour, and I changed the ratios, to cut back on the starch. I used 6 cups rice flour, and 1 1/2 cups each of the tapioca flour and arrowroot. It worked well for me, and we liked it, but I'm sure her ratios give a more "normal" loaf -- more like the store bought white bread.

---------------------------------

It was pretty good, as I recall. I made it in a bread machine, which is easiest, but it did use a non-stick pan. At the time I figured if we had been buying bread it would have been baked in non-stick also. Now we avoid it altogether, since we don't eat any prepared foods. It doesn't need a bread machine, though.

There are many good GF bread recipes out there these days. I have no idea how they compare to the one we used to make. I hear the one here is good. I couldn't link directly to the recipe, so click on the "+" next to breads, then click on "white bread". Everything on her website is GF, and I suspect it's all good.

A blog I've enjoyed is gluten-free girl. She explains a lot, and her recipes look like they really work, and I've heard a few comments that people like her recipes. I've heard good things about this bread, and if we weren't grain-free I would have tried it long ago.

Of course, there are other gluten-free blogs, but I don't really frequent them and mostly can't remember their names. The only other one I remember is this one. I don't think I've really spent much time there, so I can't personally recommend for or against it. I've just heard people talk.

And here's another one that I forgot to add. It's more TF, which appeals to me. I'm thinking I might try it now that we're eating some buckwheat.

I hope this helps someone.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
ChristieB is offline  
#2062 of 2288 Old 07-11-2009, 06:46 PM
 
mom61508's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieB View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to leave anyone out. I was just trying not to derail this thread any more than I already have. And I can't really say there's any "wealth" here, anyway. Here's what I sent via PM:

I used to make GF bread, but haven't in a few years (we're grain-free now). I used a recipe in Bette Hagman's book The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread. Here is the recipe. I've included the directions for using a mixer (like a Kitchenaid), but I assume that if you just have a hand mixer that would work, too. If you use a bread machine, you'll need to follow the instructions that came with the machine.

Basic Featherlight Rice Bread

Dry Ingredients:
3 cups Featherlight Rice Flour Mix (I've included it after this recipe )
2 1/4 tsp. Xanthan gum (can substitute guar gum)
1 1/2 tsp. Unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 tsp. Egg Replacer
3/4 tsp. Salt
3 Tbs. Sugar (I left it out)
1/3 cup Dry milk powder or non-dairy substitute (I used almond meal)
2 1/4 tsp. Dry yeast granules

Wet Ingredients:
1 Egg plus 2 Whites
4 1/2 Tbs. Butter
3/4 tsp. Vinegar
1 Tbs. Honey or molasses (I used 1 1/2 Tbs. honey, since I left out the sugar)
1 1/2 cups Water (more or less)

Grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan and dust with rice flour.

The water should be 110 degrees.

For both hand mixing and machine mixing, combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.

In another bowl (or the bowl of your heavy-duty mixer) whisk the egg whites, butter (cut into chunks), vinegar, and honey until blended. Add most of the water to the egg mixture. The remaining water shold be added as needed after the bread has started mixing.

With the mixer turned to low, add the dry ingredients (including the yeast) a little at a time. Check to be sure the dough is the right consistency (should be like cake batter). Add more of the water as necessary. Turn the mixer to high and beat for 3 1/2 minutes. Spoon into the prepared pan, cover, and let rise ina warm place for about 35 minutes for rapid-rising yeast, 60 or more minutes for regular yeast or until the dough reaches the top of the pan. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 50-60 minutes, covering after 10 minutes with aluminum foil.

Featherlight Rice Flour Mix

Rice flour (1 part)
Tapioca flour (1 part)
Cornstarch (1 part) -- I used Arrowroot
Potato flour (1 teaspoon per cup)

I used brown rice flour, and I changed the ratios, to cut back on the starch. I used 6 cups rice flour, and 1 1/2 cups each of the tapioca flour and arrowroot. It worked well for me, and we liked it, but I'm sure her ratios give a more "normal" loaf -- more like the store bought white bread.

---------------------------------

It was pretty good, as I recall. I made it in a bread machine, which is easiest, but it did use a non-stick pan. At the time I figured if we had been buying bread it would have been baked in non-stick also. Now we avoid it altogether, since we don't eat any prepared foods. It doesn't need a bread machine, though.

There are many good GF bread recipes out there these days. I have no idea how they compare to the one we used to make. I hear the one here is good. I couldn't link directly to the recipe, so click on the "+" next to breads, then click on "white bread". Everything on her website is GF, and I suspect it's all good.

A blog I've enjoyed is gluten-free girl. She explains a lot, and her recipes look like they really work, and I've heard a few comments that people like her recipes. I've heard good things about this bread, and if we weren't grain-free I would have tried it long ago.

Of course, there are other gluten-free blogs, but I don't really frequent them and mostly can't remember their names. The only other one I remember is this one. I don't think I've really spent much time there, so I can't personally recommend for or against it. I've just heard people talk.

And here's another one that I forgot to add. It's more TF, which appeals to me. I'm thinking I might try it now that we're eating some buckwheat.

I hope this helps someone.
Wow thank you!!!!
mom61508 is offline  
#2063 of 2288 Old 07-12-2009, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
 
Metasequoia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In the village
Posts: 5,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillpicklechip View Post
Does anyone here have experience taking licorice root while breastfeeding? I've seen a lot of stuff online saying that it might interfere with milk supply, is this really the case?
I didn't have any trouble with licorice reducing my supply. The concern is that it could potentially increase the nursling's blood pressure. I took a low dose & my nursling never had any trouble. I never took his BP, but it was checked at yearly well visits & his doc was never concerned.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Metasequoia is offline  
#2064 of 2288 Old 07-14-2009, 02:50 PM
 
bluets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 3,141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i notice a huge difference in my own reaction to licorice root when i use capsules compared to that of a licorice root decoction. the capsules shock my system. the decoction is much more gentle - probably because it takes me most of the morning to drink it.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

bluets is offline  
#2065 of 2288 Old 07-22-2009, 01:27 PM
 
twinkletoesmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread, but has anyone noticed worse symptoms the week before your period. I was sleeping much better most nights, but the last few nights have been horrible again....like how it was before I started treatment. I don't know what changed.

Also, does anyone take seriphos? My dr gave it to me since I have elevated nighttime cortisol levels. It seemed to help at first, but then it seemed to make me jittery so I stopped taking it. Now, the sleeping is worse again and I'm thinking I shouldn't have stopped the seriphos. Does it take a week or so to wear off (causing insomnia again) or is it probably cycle related?
twinkletoesmomma is offline  
#2066 of 2288 Old 07-22-2009, 09:54 PM
 
Lady Lilya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm still reading this thread. Took me 7 days, but I've done it!

--------

This whole thing rings a ton of bells with me. I think I am suffering from AF. But I don't think I'm that badly off.

Symptoms I do have:
*hypoglycemia, especially after lunch
*bloating, no matter what I eat, and regardless of gut-healing efforts
*very erratic body temp
*brain fog
*anxiety of varying degrees
*sleep that doesn't feel as restorative as it should be
*floaters in my vision
*sometimes feel like my nerves and muscles are inflammed
*sore knees that seem to get achy way too easily
*particularly tired from 2-4pm
*cravings for sweets
*sensation of being strangled, particularly when short on sleep
*plain water doesn't quench my thirst well, but mineral water or salted water does

Compared to the rest of you, I don't think I'm too badly off.

Some reasons why:
*energy level not so bad
*fall asleep easily
*normal menstrual cycles
*no hair loss
*using lohaire's scoring system, I usually feel around a 7 or 8
*all my muscle pain went away when I finally found a good chiro
*sex drive is very healthy

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
Lady Lilya is offline  
#2067 of 2288 Old 07-22-2009, 09:55 PM
 
Lady Lilya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I may have thyroid issues too. I was diagnosed hypothyroid from a routine blood test when I was 22, 7 years ago, but never believed the diagnosis. All the symptoms that are supposed to come with hypo I didn't have. In fact, I tended more to the opposite side of the normal range. (ie. Tending to overweight -- I was on the low side of healthy. Low energy -- I tended to have a lot of energy, but not to the point of hyperactivity. Etc...) My doc said that was because my numbers weren't that bad, but if I didn't take Synthroid I would get fat and tired and feel cold all the time and eventually die from it. I tried the Synthroid, but found that it made me jittery. My whole body was restless and it was ruining my sleep. So I stopped cold turkey after a few months of taking it, and immediately felt normal again.

Anyway, I think that NOW i have developed some thyroid issues. My temperatures are very low. Laying around at rest, I get numbers between 97.2 and 97.5 usually. Sometimes 96.8. (I also failed the iodine patch test, and recently started taking Iodoral.)

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
Lady Lilya is offline  
#2068 of 2288 Old 07-22-2009, 09:56 PM
 
Lady Lilya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My History:

I think I have probably had AF since early childhood, if I wasn't born with it. My mother seems fine, though. When I was younger, my father was very irritable and explosive (probably had adrenal issues himself) and life at home was very tense. I was also under huge pressure to perform in school. I was given the impression that if I wasn't perfect nobody would want me anymore. I never felt loved -- only tolerated because I pleased people and did everything they expected of me. There was also the fear that was instilled in me that my survival depended on my grades. That if I made a mistake it would jeopardize my ability to get a job and earn money to survive.

Then in high school there was a lot of pressure on me to belong to a gazillion activities that I could put on my college applications and get perfect grades, and take all the available college-level classes. Then I started dating DH. I was getting up at 5am and going to bed at 11pm for long periods of time. My whole body was pretty much shaking nonstop. It was a lot worse later in the day.

So, I was burned out by college. I was so relieved to NOT get in to Harvard and Yale. I just didn't want to work that hard. I really did a half-assed job on the application essays. So, when I went to college, I picked the major that seemed least strenuous to me. I had a lot of panic attacks and wanted to drop out. I hoped to get accidentally pregnant so I would have a reason to quit. I got it all done in 3 years because I was in a hurry to get out. Work was so much easier. Everyone was so easily impressed with my competence. I was easily getting done the work of 3 people and still goofing off a ton.

Up to this point i always had low blood pressure. But all my other numbers always came up fine. (Except that one time with the thyroid that I didn't really believe.)

Then I quit to start a family. I felt very very very fatigued from very early on in pregnancy. I couldn't do anything but lay on the couch. I couldn't even hold up a book, so I just watched TV. I gained 50lbs. Near the end my blood presure went up a bit. I had an uneventful homebirth. DS was born with a type 4 tonge tie, which we had clipped, and by about the 1 week mark things were relatively normal. Then when he was 2 months old we moved house. That was a big strain on me. I was staying up all night tending to DS and packing, and my days tendig to DS and running back and forth between the 2 apartments and arranging things and cooking double meals to pack some into the freezer at the new place. After we moved, I felt so wiped out. I got a few gray hairs and a cold sore. DS became a very miserable baby. Just tense and unhappy all the time. The only way he seemed to have relief was if I rocked him very vigorously while pacing the house rapidly. If I slowed down or stopped to eat or pee, he was in agony. Finally he got happier when he learned to crawl. But he is still, at 2yo, a very intense person. If he is hungry or tired, he is very volatile and clingy. He's frustrated a lot. He's never been a great sleeper. Lack of good sleep has been a big strain on me.

Having DS has been a big strain on my marriage too. DH has been disappointed in me that it has been so difficult for me. He acknowledges that DS is challenging, but things that is my fault for spoiling him. He has never wanted to help carry any of my load, because he thinks it is all my fault that the load is too heavy for me. Either because I badly managed things, or because I am just a weak and defective person to begin with. DH and I fought very intelsely for about a year, stopping about 8 months ago. Well, not completely stopped, but the fights are getting less and less frequent. He still says he has no faith in my abilities. I still feel like I can't count on him to be on my side in a tough situation.

So, since DS was born, my digestion has been off. My bowel movements are regular and appear to be healthy, though. I can't really pinpoint what is wrong. Also, I had been having migraines since DS was about 6 months old.

Then in March of this year I had a horrible stomach illness. I've never been that sick before in my life. Afterwords, I felt so drained. I felt like there were trillions of tiny holes in my body where a nutrient used to be stored.

Since then, my digestion has gotten worse. Still ideal bowel movements. But I get so bloated and gassy. At first it was after some meals. Then after all meals. And then pretty much constantly.

Also, that is when I started getting anxiety. I didn't realize what it was at first. When the anxiety started, the migraines reduced dramatically in frequency and severity, until now I can just feel a slight change in my body that resembles some of the sensations that used to come with the migraines.

Also, I am so much more wiped out by disturbed sleep than I was even just a few months ago. I feel like I have been hit by a bus when DS wakes up for 3 hours in the night and we watch tv until he falls back asleep. I continue to feel crappy the rest of the day, even when we've gone back to sleep and gotten caught up.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
Lady Lilya is offline  
#2069 of 2288 Old 07-22-2009, 09:56 PM
 
Lady Lilya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What i've been doing:

So, about 3 months ago, I started drinking the nutrient tea recipe that I got from mtn.mama. And shortly after I started drinking green smoothies. After starting those, I felt a sort of cooled and soothed sensation everywhere in my body.

Then it was 2 months ago that I realized I was having anxiety. I immediately quit caffiene and gluten and casein and sugar and soy and corn. (From 2003 until about 9 months ago, I was 100% free of sugar and refined grains and soy and all artificial stuff, and mostly avoiding corn. I don't know if allowing small amounts of sugar and soy was a contributing factor to my huge digestive illness in March.) I didn't feel any different from going GF and CF. After 3 weeks, I decided to add back in dairy, only in the form of kefir. I didn't feel any different from the kefir either.

Then I failed the spit test for yeast, so I did 10 days of oil of oregano. Afterwards, I felt like my mouth was less fuzzy. And I passed the spit test. But no other changes. And no die-off symptoms.

I've been slowly adding in new supplements. I was already taking vitamin D for a while before the other changes. Before I did the OOO, I started taking vitamin C and milk thistle. After that, I added magnesium. Then I waited a while and added biotin. Then a few days ago I added iodine. Next one I was planning to add in a couple of days was pantothenic acid (B5). I would have added it before adding the biotin, but the bottle I ordered hadn't arrived yet. And then I will add in B6 and B12 at some point (when they arrive). And zinc if I fail the taste test. Oh, I also got some brazil nuts for the selenium. And I have been drinking bone broth when I remember. And don't forget I am drinking that nutrient tea.

--------

Looking ahead:

I am really frustrated reading all these things about what you should do to help your adrenals. All the recommended diet things I have been doing all along. The sleep is not in my control because I have a little one. And my efforts to level off my blood sugar have not been working at all. I eat, and still feel as if I didn't.

I am also really upset that AF might interfere with our ability to have another child when we planned. We've already delayed it because DS has been such a challenge and I am not at all recovered from his baby-hood. We were hoping to have another before he is 4. DH would be very disappointed in me if my body isn't ready by next summer. It would put even more negativity into our marriage with the theme that he is disappointed and I am defective.

I'm going to talk to my gyno about wanting some tests in advance of trying to conceive. (We want to conceive a year from now.) So I am making a list. Then I would like to find a ND who is good for AF and bring my test results. Whatever tests my gyno won't go for I will have to ask the ND instead.

Any idea how to find a good ND here in Staten Island NYC? Or neighboring Brooklyn or Manhattan?

So, what tests should I ask for?
*Adrenal Stress Index saliva test
*everythign thyroid related
*minerals like sodium, potassium, zinc, iron, calcium, magnesium
*vitamin D
*heavy metals
*cholesterol
*MTHFR dna test
*anything else that might be informative in regards to clogged detox pathways? (homocysteine? ammonia? histamine levels?)
*B12?
*stuff I completely haven't thought of?

Also, how should I really be eating? I've been kinda low grain for the last 2 months, and not sure that is doing any good for me. Blood sugar issues seem to have gotten worse.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
Lady Lilya is offline  
#2070 of 2288 Old 07-24-2009, 02:23 PM
 
Dillpicklechip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lady Lilya, I hope things get better for you! It sounds like you've been through a lot.

You mentioned that you are doing better than others with AF because you have normal menstrual cycles...and I wanted to ask everyone, are difficult menstrual cycles a component of AF? Because over the past few years as my AF has worsened, my menstrual cycles have gotten worse too and I've been wondering if there was a connection. (My periods are sometimes 2.5 weeks long, and the worst few days are insanely heavy, to the point where I can't leave the house. I get incredibly moody and irritable for almost a week before my period too, which means I'm only in a decent mood and not bleeding for a very small fraction of the month!)

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I still have a lot to learn about AF and I can't afford to see a ND, so I'm just learning as much as I can from places like this.

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
Dillpicklechip is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off