THE Adrenal Fatigue Thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 2286 Old 07-31-2007, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got a call from the doctor's office saying that they got the results of my cortisol test and I'm going in tomorrow for a follow up. Apparently, though, one of my vials was cracked so the results are ??? I'm so disappointed/upset. I felt horrible today, so tired I could barely function. I really want to know for sure if my adrenals and hormones are messed up or if it's yet something else to go looking for.
#182 of 2286 Old 08-01-2007, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel J. View Post
s I feel for you, especially being pregnant AND having hayfever. I usually have horrible spring/summer/fall allergies but this year I started taking some local raw honey each day (yum), lots of extra vit. C, and homeopathic hayfever drops from the HFS. I've been slacking off lately but still have had very few problems (with the hayfever anyways). Oh, and my main allergy symptom was fatigue, like I hadn't slept in days even after sleeping 10 hrs at night. Maybe that's part of your fatigue issue as well.

Thanks for the commiseration! I have been taking some raw honey, but it's not local ... I will look into homeopathic remedies the next time I'm overseas. I'm wondering how much of my problem is simple sleep deprivation, how much is allergies and how much (if any) is adrenal fatigue. I can't get any special tests out here in Nigeria, of course.

Globetrotting mama to DS (9) and DD (6)
#183 of 2286 Old 08-01-2007, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel J. View Post
I got a call from the doctor's office saying that they got the results of my cortisol test and I'm going in tomorrow for a follow up. Apparently, though, one of my vials was cracked so the results are ??? I'm so disappointed/upset. I felt horrible today, so tired I could barely function. I really want to know for sure if my adrenals and hormones are messed up or if it's yet something else to go looking for.
That's really bad luck about the cracked vial ... sounds like it's the last thing you need. But it also sounds like you are so close to getting some answers. Good luck!

Globetrotting mama to DS (9) and DD (6)
#184 of 2286 Old 08-01-2007, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sorry Rachel J., that stinks about the cracked vial.

So Shanti_Mom posted a thread about floaters (you know, those floaty black things in your field of vision), does anyone else here have them? I read on the internet that one lady's doctor said they were caused by low blood pressure - that there wasn't enough pressure to pump enough blood into the eye or something like that.

I've always had floaters but after Ds was born in March of '06, they suddenly got much worse - around 6 weeks postpartum, at the same time that I developed other symptoms that I still have more than a year later.

Anyone else have muscle pain or itchy skin? I read that both of those are symptoms of fibromyalgia/CFS & my doctor believes that both are caused by adrenal fatigue, so, I guess that makes sense, huh?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#185 of 2286 Old 08-01-2007, 08:17 PM

Oh me me me me! The floaters are driving me mad. They did get worse too. I was just thinking about this today, convincing myself I had an eye tumor or something.

I had an 2 MRIs a year ago (for dizziness etc) and it was clear...I also had an eye exam, so I don't think there's anything wrong with those.

I didn't know floaters could be related to AF. I DO have low blood pressure a lot, esp upon standing.

I haven't gotten my results back yet, but I'm sure I have AF. I'm just sure.

Metasequoia- I used to have muscle pain a lot but not as much anymore. Not really any itchy skin though, only while pregnant. But everyone is different.

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#186 of 2286 Old 08-01-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post

Anyone else have muscle pain or itchy skin? I read that both of those are symptoms of fibromyalgia/CFS & my doctor believes that both are caused by adrenal fatigue, so, I guess that makes sense, huh?

Muscle pain is often a symptom of hypothyroidism. I totally agree w/ your doc about the fibro/cfs/adrenal fatigue connection. I've read that in a few different places. I've also read that hypothyroidism fits into that equation as well.
#187 of 2286 Old 08-01-2007, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, and the thyroid is always affected in adrenal fatigue even if the results show that it is in range. Eeeeverything's connected...

Thank goddess about the floaters, their presence has really been bothering me, more than just the annoyance factor, like, what if I have this or this or this??!!!

Kimmiepie, was your muscle pain everywhere & constant? I've had mine since last November & it's in my arms & legs & is constant - I haven't had a break from it since it started.
It hurts to climb steps, wash my hair, push a shopping cart, etc. I also have muscle weakness & have lost a lot of muscle mass. I've read about loss of muscle & muscle weakness in adrenal fatigue, but not much about muscle pain.
I had a dentist appointment last fall & couldn't hold my mouth open - my jaw was shaking & my dentist told me to relax (thinking that it was anxiety) but it was really just muscle weakness.

Adrenal fatigue sucks.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#188 of 2286 Old 08-01-2007, 10:40 PM

Yeah, the floaters still freak me out even though they're probably nothing.

Most of my pain was in my neck, shoulders, back, and legs. My arms weren't as affected. It was constant.

It has gotten a lot better since I had reduced my stress...that was a huge factor for me. SO now it is not so constant. I also got the muscle weakness a lot, especially in the legs. But my neurologist said I was fine so I stopped worrying about it.

Has your dr suggested anything? Not medicine per say, but did he say it will go away or what you could do?

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#189 of 2286 Old 08-01-2007, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

He just said that it would get better as my adrenals healed & my hormone levels returned to normal. Health anxiety is what led to the "last straw" for me - how I ended up with the AF diagnosis. I drove myself insane Googling symptoms & diseases & my cortisol shot through the roof & eventually ran out. My poor body, my brain really messed it up.

#190 of 2286 Old 08-01-2007, 10:59 PM

I have health anxiety too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My dr said I was one of the worst cases he's ever seen.

It has just gotten so much better in the past month because I have really been working on it.

You wouldn't believe the illnesses I produced in myself...including true angina!!

It's a horrible thing to have. I'm so sorry you have it too.

#191 of 2286 Old 08-02-2007, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the laughs Kimmiepie! I always think my docs are just humoring me when I complain about something - I'm SO tempted to flat out ask my adrenal doc if he thinks I'm nutso.

I convinced myself that I had Lyme disease & that I was passing it to Ds (6 weeks at the time) & Dd2 (3.5 years at the time) through breastmilk. I would freak myself out so badly that all I could do was take Ds upstairs & lay down in bed with him while I had the shakes & burning skin from the cortisol being dumped into my body. Imagine if I never Googled?

Anyone else ever get that burning skin feeling, like you have a really bad sunburn all over? That symptom was one of the worst! I brought it up at my last appt. & my doc said it was common in AF, something with the cortisol affecting the nerves. I've seen it listed on anxiety sites, so it makes sense that it has to do with AF.

I have an appt. next Wednesday, I'm bringing my spinal x-rays from last summer & Dd1 so we can see if she can do my hip adjustment for me.

I've also noticed that I'm getting a few prickly chin hairs lately, I have to ask if it could be from the 50 mg of pregnenolone or just my hormones fluctuating because of BFing. Kind of an embarrassing thing to ask a hot doctor. Guess I'll have to suck it up. I know my face will turn red.

#192 of 2286 Old 08-02-2007, 09:59 PM

I have had that burny thing only a couple of times...but I have had other nerve related issues. Particularly with my eyes, and tingling of the extremeties, shaking etc.

I have noticed a few hairs popping up here and there. Yes, please ask your hot doctor about this.

#193 of 2286 Old 08-04-2007, 12:40 AM

I went intoday for my 3 week checkup after running some tests: TSH, free t3, fasting glucose and EBV. It showed I am hypoglycemic, my thyroid is low(she put me on a T3 supplement of 15mcg, although I dunno what it is other than that since she put it into the bottle), and my EBV was 387(anything abouve 22 is positive). I really dunno what to make of the EBV. So add that all to my AF, Anemia, and other stuff. She wants to do a food allergy panel from a place out of Florida(Immuno Laboratories), to see what effects me other than wheat and dairy. Because when I eat certain foods it really knocks me out energy wise. She says because it stresses my already depleted immune system. She is ordering special immune support without herbs(because I'm nursing) for the EBV. She wants me to completely nightwean but it's so hard since she is cutting her pointy teeth. She also wants me to think about completely weaning in the near future(DD is 15 months) so allow my body to recover, especially since I want another child in the not too far future(maybe get preg. in 6 months). That's a big emotional hurdle for me, it's gonna be soo tough to wean I start to cry just thinking about it, but I do believe I need to for my health. I want to at least make 18 months.
I asked her about NAET for food allergies, but she said she doesn't believe in it, that it only works short term. So I wonder if I come back with a ton of food allergies am I stuck with it for life.
So many questions.
#194 of 2286 Old 08-04-2007, 01:25 AM

Well I got my results today. BUT I CANT GET THEM!!!! : I am so frustrated. It requires me to have a ZRT login and I don't have one and you have to call the number to get one. Well they're closed until monday. I emailed someone but don't expect to hear back over the weekend.

I was so wanting my results.

#195 of 2286 Old 08-04-2007, 04:43 AM
Banned

subbing for now.
#196 of 2286 Old 08-04-2007, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannyshan View Post
I went intoday for my 3 week checkup after running some tests: TSH, free t3, fasting glucose and EBV. It showed I am hypoglycemic, my thyroid is low(she put me on a T3 supplement of 15mcg, although I dunno what it is other than that since she put it into the bottle), and my EBV was 387(anything abouve 22 is positive). I really dunno what to make of the EBV. So add that all to my AF, Anemia, and other stuff. She wants to do a food allergy panel from a place out of Florida(Immuno Laboratories), to see what effects me other than wheat and dairy. Because when I eat certain foods it really knocks me out energy wise. She says because it stresses my already depleted immune system. She is ordering special immune support without herbs(because I'm nursing) for the EBV. She wants me to completely nightwean but it's so hard since she is cutting her pointy teeth. She also wants me to think about completely weaning in the near future(DD is 15 months) so allow my body to recover, especially since I want another child in the not too far future(maybe get preg. in 6 months). That's a big emotional hurdle for me, it's gonna be soo tough to wean I start to cry just thinking about it, but I do believe I need to for my health. I want to at least make 18 months.
I asked her about NAET for food allergies, but she said she doesn't believe in it, that it only works short term. So I wonder if I come back with a ton of food allergies am I stuck with it for life.
So many questions.
Sorry shannyshan, I look at it this way - nightweaning is going to be tough on my body because I'll be up a lot more during the night & weaning in general would not be good for my emotional/mental well being - so I'm not gonna do it. It's a very personal decision, I do understand your desperation to feel better, I really do.

Is EBV Epstein Barr Virus? What are your symptoms again? My old boss had Epstein Barr in his very early 30s, he missed work for months because of it. Off to Google...

#197 of 2286 Old 08-06-2007, 10:33 AM

I got my results, but they're not at all what I expected. My dh is just going to think it was another waste of 200.00.

Here are my results: (I was in the early stages of my luteal phase when these were done)

Estradiol (saliva) 1.8 normal is 1.3-3.3
Progesterone (saliva) 174 normal is 75-270
Ratio pg/E2 (saliva) 97 L optimal is 100-500
Testosterone (saliva) 17 normal is 16-55
DHEAS (saliva) 7.2 normal is 2-23
Cortisol morning (saliva) 4.8 normal is 3.7-9.5
Cortisol noon (saliva) 1.7 normal is 1.2-3.0
Cortisol evening (saliva) 1.1 normal is 0.7-2.5
Cortisol night (saliva) 0.4 normal is 0.4-1.0
Free T4 (bloodspot) 1.1 normal is 0.7-2.5
TSH (bloodspot) 1.8 normal is 0.5-3.0
TPO (bloodspot) 60 normal is 0-150 (borderline 70-150)

The only thing they're saying is that my testosterone is in the low normal range and of course my pg/E2 ratio (whatever that means) is low. I am so sad. : Why do I feel SO bad all the time? I've had all bloodwork known to mankind (well a lot anyway) and I'm losing hope. I'm 26 and I'm as tired as an 80yr old woman. I also have low body temps...96's in the morning and 97s throughout the day. Even in my luteal I never go above 97 something (in the past 2 years anyway).

Does anyone have any insight into my test results? Thanks!

#198 of 2286 Old 08-06-2007, 01:26 PM

Your results are actually not normal. They do fall in the "normal" range but the range is flawed.

Cortisol morning (saliva) 4.8 normal is 3.7-9.5
Cortisol noon (saliva) 1.7 normal is 1.2-3.0

You morning cortisol should be the highest of the day. It should be much closer to the 9.5 end of the scale than the bottom. Your afternoon should be closer to the 3.0. The evening and night are where they should be towards the bottom of the range because that is when you should be winding down for the day.

Your free T4 should be in the upper 1/2 or higher in the range. Yours isn't quite there.

I don't see the free T3 on there....did you test for that?

I believe on the TPO that you should have NO antibodies. Any presence of antibodies indicates a problem. I may be wrong on that though. The low temps that you described indicate low thyroid function. I guarantee that your thyroid does need to be addressed.

I believe, though I don't know much about sex hormones, that your estradiol and testosterone are low too.

My friends results looked a lot like this. Her doc told her she has Adrenal Insufficiency.

Moderators at STTM explained to her that low adrenal function, and low sex hormones could indicate a pituitary problem. They suggested that she get an ACTH STIM and ACTH Serum test to check that.

She was also told that because her estrogen is low that she should get: Leutinizing hormones, FSH and Growth hormone testing done as well. Like I said, I don't know a lot about sex hormones so I'm not sure what this was recommended for. Sorry, I'm not much help there.

If you go to http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com...nity/index.php
you can post your results in the Adrenal and/or TSH labwork section. Someone there may be able to tell you more about the other hormone ranges. you can also get other opinions about your results.

The STTM forum is closing for a week as of tomorrow. So, if you'd like them to look at them for you try to get over there today.....
#199 of 2286 Old 08-06-2007, 02:29 PM

Great, thanks, I will post it over there!

No, there was no Free T3 test.

The "dr" did say that my testosterone was low. And of course the pg/E2 ratio.

Thanks for all your help, you've been great help!

#200 of 2286 Old 08-06-2007, 02:44 PM

Okay, my dh tells me that there is a remedy for low testosterone......

eating lots of semen :

Please tell me this is not true :

#201 of 2286 Old 08-06-2007, 03:00 PM

You're welcome!

I think your husband might be wrong.
#202 of 2286 Old 08-06-2007, 10:38 PM

Okay there actually *was* a T3 free test... I missed it.

3.5 normal 2.5-6.5

#203 of 2286 Old 08-07-2007, 03:00 AM

Yup, that one is low too. T3 should be in the upper 1/3 or just above range...
#204 of 2286 Old 08-08-2007, 03:54 PM

I saw my physician's assistant last week for a follow up on my results and just haven't had a chance to post about it yet. I didn't ask for a copy of my results (duh) so I don't know exact numbers but I looked at the results graphed out so I have a pretty good idea.
8am- right in the middle of the normal range
12pm- below the normal range (so something definitely not right there)
5pm- back up into the normal range
12am- the cracked vial so no results but I'm guessing maybe a little high because I have a hard time getting to bed even though I am usually very tired when I do.

My progesterone (blood test) was a little low but she said she wouldn't treat it at that level any way. My iron panel was good 115 (normal range 10-150) and my B-12 was also toward the higher end of the normal range. She has me taking 1-2 daily of an herbal supplement called Energy Plus from Vital Nutrients.
It's 250mg american ginseng root
100mg schisandra extract
150mg polygonum multiflorum
100 mg astragalus extract 15:1
100mg atractylodes extract 15:1
50mg licorice extract
Now I need to go look up what exactly most of that stuff is

I was feeling really crappy, tired, and depressed/overwhelmed before I got my results. I can't imagine it's the supplement, I think it's just more mental finally have some sort of info, but I've been feeling a lot better since I got my results. I'm still tired but not dragging like I was. My sex drive hasn't improved much but I'm forcing myself to be interested, both for my sake, my dh and our relationship (he feels unwanted and neglected when we don't connect physically). Now I need to reread the thread and see what else I can do to support my system while breastfeeding (besides the obvious and difficult getting to bed early and cutting out the chocolate, oh how I love my bittersweet chocolate chips).
#205 of 2286 Old 08-12-2007, 12:58 AM

#206 of 2286 Old 08-13-2007, 07:31 PM

I sent my saliva test into the lab last Monday... Next Friday the 24th I get my results plus all my blood test results. The waiting is a killer. I hope there is something off to explain why I've felt so tired, something I can work on balancing.

That stop the thyroid madness forum sounds great for discussion test results. Is it back online yet? I read a bunch of articles there last week. Back to lurking for now.

--Kelly
#207 of 2286 Old 08-13-2007, 09:25 PM

didn't know they were offline. going to look.

for intuitive readings click here :
#208 of 2286 Old 08-20-2007, 04:30 PM

#209 of 2286 Old 08-20-2007, 11:13 PM

So anyone else have any news? I haven't been back to my naturopath because I owe a bunch of money.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#210 of 2286 Old 08-20-2007, 11:31 PM

No new news here, unfortunately. I'm still in the process of trying to find a good doc who will take me seriously and let me have a say in my treatment etc.

I have these occasional "attacks"......and I'm not sure if they're adrenal or hypoglycemia related or not. It's *not* anxiety, I have those attacks this is totally different. And I do not believe it is a hyperthyroid attack either as my heart doesn't beat fast, and I don't sweat etc like I tend to with those.

Basically I get all shaky *inside* and have outbursts of crying because I feel so weird. My b/p feels low too. I might feel nauseated and cold and keep getting the chills. Then after a while it calms down and I feel slightly weak all over like my body has been through the wringer. Sometimes I just feel like I'm really ill or dying. Not panicking or anything, my body just feels so weird. It is the weirdest thing.

Has anyone had anything like this? :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page