THE Adrenal Fatigue Thread - Page 75 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2009, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liver isn't really a good source of zinc, it has way more copper than zinc and they compete for absorption. Oysters are an excellent source of zinc.

Speaking of food, does anyone have salty snack ideas? I'm thinking jerky may be salty (haven't looked at a recipe in years), but something odd has happened lately. We live in a warm climate, so lately now that the highs are only around 85F, it's feeling like autumn is really starting. And I don't know if it's the change in weather, or a change in DH, but lately when he sweats, he's leaving visible salt lines in his shirts. I mean that I can see from the outside of his shirt at the end of the day. Anyone experience something like this, or ever read about it?

But I'm wondering if he needs more salt, we salt food to taste, but he hates drinking salt water, and I know that helps me, so I have to wonder if a bit more salt would help him.

Thoughts? Snack ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2009, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
Looking at the whfoods website it seems like I'd need 4 oz per day which we couldn't afford, 2 oz a day would be fine if I can then eat a little less meat.
An ounce a day is fine. Or 3 ounces, 2-3 times per week, per my understanding. There is an 'upper limit'.

Only grass-fed beef or organic chicken though, imo.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:02 PM

I need to figure out what to do for my oldest son - I think he has adrenal issues (always have suspected it). He just started fall baseball (this is the most competitive he has ever played and it's not as competitive as spring ball), and he has practice and games and it seems that it is corresponding to some behavior issues with him - he's much, much, much more quick to anger (quicker than a snap of the fingers), is tantruming over *everything*, and is having a hard time just transitioning through life. He takes a multi and a b-complex (half dose), and 2000 IU of vitamin D, but that's all right now. I've been very lax on fish oil and cod liver oil. He can swallow pills, which is nice. I'm not sure if GABA would help calm his system. Or if he needs magnesium (we've been really bad on getting the kids magnesium). Or omega 3's, or all of it. Any ideas?

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 09-21-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
An ounce a day is fine. Or 3 ounces, 2-3 times per week, per my understanding. There is an 'upper limit'.

Only grass-fed beef or organic chicken though, imo.

Pat
What's the upper limit? The stuff I'd buy is expensive since it is grass fed organic I don't know if I would seriously consider it otherwise.

:::
Old 09-21-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
What's the upper limit? The stuff I'd buy is expensive since it is grass fed organic I don't know if I would seriously consider it otherwise.

I don't really know, off the top of my head. Are you craving liver?

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I don't really know, off the top of my head. Are you craving liver?

Pat
No, just like to know as much as possible. I'm feeling desperate to feel better though I'd only be buying 1lb a week because of the cost. I need to learn how to muscle or crystal test myself, I'd love to be able to hold the piece of liver and make sure it was good for me. I love everything I've read about liver except the high copper content. I'd still be eating lots of pumpkin seeds and supping zinc to try to balance it out. Soaking pumpkin seeds wouldn't increase zinc would it?

:::
Old 09-22-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
I'm wondering what I do for the ferritin levels - what is the best supplement to take for iron? And, do I address the progesterone/estrogen stuff? Right now I take D-Glucarate to keep me from having too many estrogen-dominant issues (though it doesn't affect the mood-related stuff: PMS, moodiness, etc.). I've tried DHEA and it totally screwed me up (I think it only worsened the estrogen dominance. Does anyone have experience with pregnenolone? Would that be something to look into for balancing it all out?

I have a feeling that aside from getting another blood test next year, my ob/gyn won't be too much of a help in treating this. I don't want to go with actual hormone therapy if I don't have to. But, I'm thinking correcting the imbalances and also upping my iron stores will help me feel tremendously better. (And will probably help my adrenals heal too.) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
you can do saliva testing through NeuroScience - an a la carte sort of thing, about $17/hormone. insurance might cover it.

i use pregnenolone (a sublingual in the a.m.) because i know that my problem is in the progesterone/cortisol part of that whole steroid hormone pathway - my estrogen/estriol/estradiol and testosterone were normal, DHEA was way high. i also use a topical progesterone cream (Femarone 17) - which alone did wonders for my progesterone levels. my cycle went from 14 days to 28 days exactly during the first month of application (my herbalist/R.N. recommended 1 tsp per day from day 12, then 1 tsp twice per day from day 21, stop on day 28 or upon bleeding)

the other thing you could add to your diet would be dried mushrooms - like Reishi or Cordyceps. they have a similar effect of D-glucarate, but different. i got mine from mushroomharvest.com (i actually did the 14 blend) and i add a scoop to my morning beverage.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Old 09-22-2009, 01:48 PM

nak
hormone test= order where?
what kinds of issues if hormones are off?
test effective while bfing?

eta: not wearing my glasses.. just noticed bluets' suggestion

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 09-22-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
nak
hormone test= order where?
what kinds of issues if hormones are off?
test effective while bfing?

eta: not wearing my glasses.. just noticed bluets' suggestion
I was just wondering the same thing. Are the saliva test accurate while your BF as far as your hormones go??
I'm wanting to saliva test adrenals and hormones but I'm still nursing DD
Old 09-23-2009, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Depends how old your nursling is. I tested when Ds was about 11 months & he had *just* begun trying foods other than BM. I didn't get my PPAF until he has 2.5 y.o., so my hormone levels were quite a bit low, especially that first time. I'm referring to my sex hormones, like estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, not stress hormones like cortisol & DHEA.

I don't know for sure, but I think if your stress hormones come back low, it means they're truly low. I'm sure the conversion skews things a bit, like the fact that your sex hormones might be low due to bfing, so perhaps conversions are off, but I don't really know.

I think my hormones are still off because of Ds still nursing, but I do know that I began to feel "better" when I got my PPAF. I say "better" because I'm just referring to hormonal feelings like my libido coming back - which to me means that my hormones picked up a bit.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 09-23-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
Depends how old your nursling is. I tested when Ds was about 11 months & he had *just* begun trying foods other than BM. I didn't get my PPAF until he has 2.5 y.o., so my hormone levels were quite a bit low, especially that first time. I'm referring to my sex hormones, like estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, not stress hormones like cortisol & DHEA.

I don't know for sure, but I think if your stress hormones come back low, it means they're truly low. I'm sure the conversion skews things a bit, like the fact that your sex hormones might be low due to bfing, so perhaps conversions are off, but I don't really know.

I think my hormones are still off because of Ds still nursing, but I do know that I began to feel "better" when I got my PPAF. I say "better" because I'm just referring to hormonal feelings like my libido coming back - which to me means that my hormones picked up a bit.
DD is 15 months old. She nurses 5-7 times in a 24 hour period and eats qute a few solids too. My period has not returned but wondering If it will now that DD has been sleeping thru the night now and not BF all night?
I have ZERO sex drive!
Old 09-23-2009, 07:31 PM

Does anyone use a broad-spectrum type of amino acid supplement? We did custom ones for a while, but it was way too expensive (and I'm not sure if it were worth the price). I'm looking into the possibility of using a more general A.A. one now though. Any ideas?

Old 09-23-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
DD is 15 months old. She nurses 5-7 times in a 24 hour period and eats qute a few solids too. My period has not returned but wondering If it will now that DD has been sleeping thru the night now and not BF all night?
I have ZERO sex drive!
Your card is in the mail.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 09-23-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
hehe
Old 09-24-2009, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 09-26-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post

I wasn't feeling adrenal fatigued but my cycles were super duper short. And, the whole reason I went to this particular HCP (an herbalist) was to initiate an herbal abortion (pregnant when I didn't want to be)... my cycles were so off that charting wasn't meaningful.

I had almost 12 hours of sleep last night with only 1 interruption. It's amazing what a solid chunk of sleep can do for one's adrenals!

Old 09-26-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I have ZERO sex drive!
At 15 months, my ds was still an avid night-time nurser because of day care (he'd store up his nursing desire until we got home). I didn't get PPAF until he was 22 months old. Now he's 4.5 yrs old and I still don't really have much of a sex drive.

But then, we're moms and we probably do most of the things around the house, handle child care + family booboos, manage finances and other household management, some do homeschooling, some WOH, etc etc. And our partners, for the most part, juggle their work with playtime with the kids and manage to sneak in some time for themselves (and also expect time with us). Sheesh, and we wonder why our adrenals are burnt out? My dh is great - most of the time, but still he doesn't worry about as many household-related things until and unless I place them solely on his "honey do" list (and get them out of my worrying domain). As I get better at delegating to him (I'm great at delegating, just not to him), his list gets much much longer. That's not saying that more and more things get done but it does mean that I don't worry about them anymore.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Does anyone use a broad-spectrum type of amino acid supplement? We did custom ones for a while, but it was way too expensive (and I'm not sure if it were worth the price). I'm looking into the possibility of using a more general A.A. one now though. Any ideas?
I'm curious about these as well. Why are you considering them? My dr. wants me to test for these and possibly use them, but the price of all of that has me anxious.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I posted this already but wanted to post here since this may be adrenal or thyroid related. I'm having heart pounding at night. Not a fast heart rate but I can feel every beat in my throat and head. It's very uncomfortable.

Any ideas?
Is it when you lie down?
Old 09-28-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammamama View Post
I'm curious about these as well. Why are you considering them? My dr. wants me to test for these and possibly use them, but the price of all of that has me anxious.
Mostly for a couple reasons. I used to take custom blend aminos; I'm not sure if they were doing enough to warrant the price, so I stopped. But, I also know I do not eat nearly enough protein, and I'm not sure how much I am assimilating of what I do eat (working on building up stomach acid and gut lining). So, taking at least a broad-spectrum would give my body an extra chance of getting what it needs, if that makes sense.

I think Kirkman Labs makes one; I might just order it to see how I do on it. (I've been pleased with their other products I have used.) I was just curious if anyone else here had used one. But, I am definitely needing to lean towards a more affordable way to do it (the custom ones were really expensive - especially since dh and I both used them and now both would need something supplement wise).

Old 09-28-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammamama View Post
Is it when you lie down?
Yes! I really feel it when I'm in bed at night.

I'm taking less thyroid hormone and that has helped slightly but I'm still feeling the heartbeat in my thyroid and my thyroid is swelling again
Old 09-29-2009, 02:21 AM

I am wondering if someone can help with my lab results from Diagnos-Techs. I saw my doctor today, but my 1 year old daughter was with me and we didn't get to discuss as much as necessary. Anyway...

My results are:
6-8 am: 7 (depressed)
11a-12noon: 3 (depressed)
4-5 pm: 1 (depressed)
10-midnight <1 (depressed)

Cortisol burden: 12 (normal 23-42)

DHEA: 4 (normal)

I'm so confused. Why is my DHEA normal? From what I can tell, I am a #5 on the cortisol-DHEA correlation, which says "Non-adapted, low reserves." What does this mean?

Also, it says, "Depressed morning cortisol <13 nM, is suggestive of marginal HPA performance." What does this mean?

I read a lot of the thread, but not all of it, so I am sorry if I missed a question like this.

Can someone help me please? Do I have adrenal fatigue or am I on the brink of it? The cortisol-DHEA correlation is confusing to me. My doctor gave me an adaptogen and a list of supplements. She said to come back in a month.

I also found out I am deficient in vitamin b-12, magnesium, zinc, and vitamin D. Yay.

Thanks in advance.

Shannon
Old 09-29-2009, 07:47 PM

This is the most amazing website with the most amazing supplements for adrenal fatigue!!!

http://www.endfatigue.com/tools-supp...reatments.html

This is Jacob Teitelbaums website, author of "From fatigued to fantastic"

DS 5-11-06
Old 10-03-2009, 12:20 AM

If anyone is in the Chicago area, please visit my post in the Illinois FYT area. Looking for a HCP to consult on adrenal fatigue:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...0#post14472390

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srneda78 View Post
I am wondering if someone can help with my lab results from Diagnos-Techs. I saw my doctor today, but my 1 year old daughter was with me and we didn't get to discuss as much as necessary. Anyway...

My results are:
6-8 am: 7 (depressed)
11a-12noon: 3 (depressed)
4-5 pm: 1 (depressed)
10-midnight <1 (depressed)

Cortisol burden: 12 (normal 23-42)

DHEA: 4 (normal)

I'm so confused. Why is my DHEA normal? From what I can tell, I am a #5 on the cortisol-DHEA correlation, which says "Non-adapted, low reserves." What does this mean?

Also, it says, "Depressed morning cortisol <13 nM, is suggestive of marginal HPA performance." What does this mean?

I read a lot of the thread, but not all of it, so I am sorry if I missed a question like this.

Can someone help me please? Do I have adrenal fatigue or am I on the brink of it? The cortisol-DHEA correlation is confusing to me. My doctor gave me an adaptogen and a list of supplements. She said to come back in a month.

I also found out I am deficient in vitamin b-12, magnesium, zinc, and vitamin D. Yay.

Thanks in advance.

Shannon
Take a look at this page (and feel free to check out all the others too)....
http://www.chronicfatigue.org/ASI%205.html

DHEA is in the normal ranges for stages 2 and 5, but it's trending there for different reasons (the explanations of all these stages have been quite helpful to me). Reading the progression from 1 to 7 has helped me understand where I am and what's going on.

You're fairly deep into adrenal fatigue. I doubt you feel that great on a day-to-day basis and this is part of it (though figuring out _why_ your adrenals got this fatigued will ultimately probably be helpful in healing).

HPA is, I think, hypothalamus-pituitary axis, if you google HPA axis, you'll learn more than I know.

Do you have ideas on why you're deficient in those nutrients?
Old 10-05-2009, 12:06 PM

Hello ladies. I'm so glad I found this thread. It's incredibly long and impossible to read everything but I've learned a lot in the past few days.

I'm sort of recently diagnosed. I was told a few years ago after the ASI that I had an issue (now learning more, it was more of an issue that I realized). I'm currently waiting for the results of my next ASI, but I know it's not going to be good. I'm SOOOO anxious and discouraged. I feel like this a long and difficult journey and sometimes I feel hopeless. I would love to hear stories of people improving from adrenal fatigue. I hope they are out there.

I read Metasequoia's first entry in this thread and have contacted Dr. Neville at the Clymer Healing center. I liked him and he seemed to believe that there is indeed hope, but I'm just feeling quite discouraged. How does one go about improving this situation with 2 young kids (ie. can NEVER sleep between 7-9 as all the books say to), have a great deal of stress (mostly marital) and all the regular stuff.

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosmilagros View Post
Hello ladies. I'm so glad I found this thread. It's incredibly long and impossible to read everything but I've learned a lot in the past few days.

I'm sort of recently diagnosed. I was told a few years ago after the ASI that I had an issue (now learning more, it was more of an issue that I realized). I'm currently waiting for the results of my next ASI, but I know it's not going to be good. I'm SOOOO anxious and discouraged. I feel like this a long and difficult journey and sometimes I feel hopeless. I would love to hear stories of people improving from adrenal fatigue. I hope they are out there.

I read Metasequoia's first entry in this thread and have contacted Dr. Neville at the Clymer Healing center. I liked him and he seemed to believe that there is indeed hope, but I'm just feeling quite discouraged. How does one go about improving this situation with 2 young kids (ie. can NEVER sleep between 7-9 as all the books say to), have a great deal of stress (mostly marital) and all the regular stuff.

Thanks.
Honestly, you just do the best you can and try to take time wherever you can to relax. You cut out caffeine, alcohol, sugar (if you can handle it- I cut down) and look for any possible food allergies or intolerances. You get a good adrenal support supplement and provide your body with adequate vitamin D, vitamin C and B vitamins. You take it slow and easy on yourself and you come here for support. You do your best to reduce your life from requiring 8 hands to just the 2 you have. You try to get your marriage back on track (believe me, I realize that's easier said than done).
At least, that's what I *was* doing. I need to get better on the diet and supplements front again. I've been doing well on the general reducing stress and taking it easy on myself part. Now, if I can just coordinate the 2 of them to happen at the same time, I might see some real progress.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:59 PM

I haven't made it through the entire thread yet (Im trying...its looong lol) but Id like to order some saliva tests-----adrenal and hormone (think I may have adrenal fatigue and/or estrogen dominance)

Should I order these myself or have a Dr do it? Where is the best place to buy them?

thanks!
Old 10-06-2009, 07:27 PM

Thanks JacuelineR. It's all so much easier said than done! I'm trying to implement as much as I can right now, while I await test results. Trying to get the kids out of my bed and into another is the biggest roadblock to my sleep right now.

I hope that many people have had success in their journeys. I'd love to hear any stories. And good luck on your continued efforts.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdoptChina View Post
I haven't made it through the entire thread yet (Im trying...its looong lol) but Id like to order some saliva tests-----adrenal and hormone (think I may have adrenal fatigue and/or estrogen dominance)

Should I order these myself or have a Dr do it? Where is the best place to buy them?

thanks!
A couple (several?) pages ago, we talked a bit about testing, the cheapest I could see (w/o a doctor, no idea what rates a doctor has access to, may be cheaper, may be more) was still through Canary Club. You'd want the one that mentions 4x/day testing, it used to be about $99 but I think it went up to around $169? Check a few pages ago for details, someone included the name of the test.

User Tag List