THE Adrenal Fatigue Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2288 Old 06-02-2007, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I've posted in a few threads about my recent diagnosis of Adrenal Fatigue & have had a few requests to start a specific thread, so here it goes!
Anyone else who is on this journey to heal their adrenals, please join in the discussion! I plan on updating after every appointment.

I go to Clymer Healing Center in Quakertown, PA. Dr. Neville (95% of his patients are adrenal patients), has phone-appts from all over the world every day. Last time I was there, he had one from Poland & one from Turkey. Here's their other site, on CFIDS/Fibro (see below.)

I did an ASI saliva test (Adrenal Stress Index.) That should be the first step - my doctor ordered mine through DiagnosTechs lab. After that, he came up with a healing plan. Everyone is different & the saliva test is essential in finding out what phase of adrenal exhaustion you're in. It cost me $99.

Here are my saliva test results:

Adrenal Stress Index (ASI) 3/07:

Free cortisol rhythym****** Reference Range

7:00-8:00am - 10 Depressed 13-24 nM
11:00-noon - 3 Depressed 5-10 nM
4:00-5:00pm - 2 Depressed 3-8 nM
11:00-midnight - 2 Normal 1-4 nM

Cortisol burden - 17 23-42

DHEA - 2 - Depressed 3-10 ng/ml

According to the "Cortisol-DHEA Correlation Zone, I am in zone 7 (Adrenal Fatigue), the lowest possible zone - 1 is the highest & is called "Adapted to Stress."

I also have Hypoglycemia, which is the first symptom of adrenal fatigue - I've had it for as long as I can remember.

Total Salivary SIgA Reference Range

5 - Depressed Normal: 25-60 mg/dl Borderline: 20-25 mg/dl

Just for comparison's sake, here are my blood test results (from 2/07) - the saliva test is SO much more accurate!

My progesterone is non-existant, <.5, less than a post menopausal woman.

My estradiol (estrogen) is 22, which is in range. (Not very accurate.)

My testosterone is in range, but towards the lower end. (Total - 12, free - 1.2)

My DHEA is very low, 35, the reference range is 40-325.

My cortisol is 13.5, which is in range. (HA! This is why you need to do a saliva test throughout the day!)

Vitamin D was 37, in range (I've heard that 40 is ideal & you don't want to go over 50.)

Thyroid: (doctor said this was good.)
T-4, free - 1.1
TSH - 1.86
T-3, free - 296

There is a book called Chronic Fatigue Unmasked 2000 that was written by Dr. Gerald Poesnecker. Dr. Poesnecker worked at Clymer for 40+ years researching adrenal fatigue & treating patients. His theory is that Chronic Fatigue & Fibromyalgia is a double sided coin, both caused by adrenal fatigue. My doctor, Dr. Neville, worked alongside Dr. Poesnecker & before Dr. Poesnecker passed away in 2004, he chose Dr. Neville to take over his work & patients. Oh, and a bonus, he's really into WAPF.

I don't have physical fatigue even though my test results would suggest so. I have the "dread horror anxiety" that is a symptom of adrenal fatigue. My body just doesn't have the cortisol to cope with any type of stress, physical or emotional. I need to try to cut back on nighttime nursing, that's the only issue that I can't control. I've had no caffeine for almost 4 months now, don't even crave it. I have had a few bites of chocolate (mostly on easter) but I've been really good about not having it.

My doctor asked if I was eating enough red meat, so I think that animal protein is very important when dealing with adrenal fatigue. I feel like I eat enough, I eat 2-3 eggs every morning for breakfast & some form of animal protein each night, beef, chicken or salmon usually.

The important supplements are a high quality B-complex, vitamin c (sodium ascorbate is good) & a magnesium supplement, also a good multi vitamin/mineral. The diet *must* be a whole foods diet, no crappy processed/packaged foods. Another big recommendation is salt & lots of it.

I salt everything heavily (sea salt.) My doctor wanted me to drink a glass of salt water first thing in the morning & I tried but I couldn't do it.
I limit potassium intake, no bananas, dates, figs, minimal fruit. Breakfast is VERY important, something with protein & lots of salt. No juices, minimal sweetener in teas - I use a dab of honey.

Dehydration is a biggie for AF patients. We have a problem with the sodium/potassium ratio (why we shouldn't eat potassium rich foods & need lots of salt.) I know when I first wake up in the morning, all I want to do is chug down 2 pints of water, but I have to wait until I get a good amount of salt in my system.
When I first wake in the morning, I cook eggs & salt them very heavily - after I eat them, then I can drink water, but plain water on an empty stomach is a no-no. We need *a lot* of salt. You'd be surprised how many people suffer unknowingly from some degree of adrenal fatigue - especially us sleep deprived mamas.
I'm also *almost* EBFing my 14 month old, my milk makes up about 95% of his diet, so that doesn't help with the dehydration issue.

Bottom line, our adrenals need salt, our bodies NEED salt!

Cutting out caffeine is MAJOR, as is eliminating stress, seriously eliminating it - whatever it is, negative people, high stress job, relationships, whatever, if you want to heal, you need to eliminate it. Rest is very important, we're supposed to be in bed by 10pm at the latest & sleep till 9am if possible (ha!) take any naps you can get. A sleeptime routine is also essential, going to bed & waking at the same exact times each night/morning. (I have yet to perfect this routine!)

My doctor says that the thyroid is always affected when one is suffering from adrenal fatigue - even if it doesn't show up in testing.

Low blood pressure is one of the symptoms of adrenal fatigue - it's even used as a diagnostic tool, I've always had low blood pressure, low body temp. too. I went for my appointment this week (5/07) & my blood pressure was 94/50 & that's a HUGE improvement! It actually rose 10 points after I stood up which is also HUGE since up until now, it hasn't budged when I rose from laying down to standing up - a classic sign of adrenal fatigue.

One of the diagnostic tools is to have the patient lay down, relax for 5 minutes, while laying down, take the patient's blood pressure. Then have the patient stand up & take the blood pressure reading again, if it fails to rise or drops upon standing, that's a sign that you're adrenals aren't working to their fullest capacity & it should be addressed.

A couple of fantastic books are Chronic Fatigue Unmasked 2000, by Dr. Poesnecker (the link is for the first edition, there's a newer one available now with the "2000" in the title) & Adrenal Fatigue, the 21st Century Stress Syndrome by J. Wilson. The first one, by Poesnecker, is much more in depth in terms of treatment & how the neuroendocrine system works, which explains *how* adrenal fatigue occurs. Here's Wilson's website.

Here is my treatment plan: ***before taking any supplements/medication to treat adrenal fatigue, an ASI saliva test is needed to determine the stage of adrenal dysfunction you are in, it's VERY important in deciding which supplements to use.***

I started out taking 1 tablet of Mil Adregen by '******' brand. It contains raw spleen concentrate, raw adrenal concentrate, raw thymus concentrate, citrus bioflavinoids, vitamin c, vitamin B6, vitamin B5 & zinc. I have slowly built up to 3 tablets a day, taken at meals.

I also started out taking 10mg of bioidentical pregnenolone by 'Pure' brand. I am currently taking 30 mg/day all in the morning. The necessary dose depends on how severe your adrenal fatigue. I'm still working up to a higher dose.
Pregnenolone is the first hormone that our bodies convert from cholesterol. It is at the top of the adrenal hormone cascade & is made into cortisol, DHEA & all of the sex hormones, estrogen, testosterone & progesterone. Pregnenolone usually has zero side effects where bioidentical DHEA supplementation can often have masculine side effects like rage & facial hair growth.

I take "Seriphos" by InterPlexus as needed, a proprietary blend 1000mg of phosphorylated, Serine/Ethanolamine which has a calming affect & helps take the edge off of the anciety.

Those are the supplements that my doctor gives me, aside from those listed above, I take these (with his approval.):

B-50 complex by Now brand
Magnesium citrate (powder) by Now brand
Selenium 200 mcg by Now brand
Zinc 50 mg by Solaray

HTH!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2288 Old 06-02-2007, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Understanding Adrenal Function -Mercola, explains how pregnenolone is made & how it is used in the body - good article.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#3 of 2288 Old 06-02-2007, 12:50 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Interesting.........I have low thyroid problems, and sometimes I get dizzy if I haven't had enough salt.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#4 of 2288 Old 06-02-2007, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I am well on my way to an adrenal fatigue diagnosis. I'm having blood tests run on Monday for various stuff to see if my thyroid is a problem. I did that eye test (where you see if your pupil has trouble focusing) and FAILED bigtime, and took an extensive online quiz and was rated "moderate adrenal fatigue with severe symptoms" (so, not a TON of symptoms, but those I have are strong). I am also hypoglycemic, which popped up right after my wedding 3 years ago and coincides with the other symptoms starting.

I'm hoping that this will make a big difference in my quality of life. I'm seeing a regular doctor on Monday but may try an alternative practitioner if the MD doesn't have enough info for me. What kind of doc, exactly, are you seeing?

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#5 of 2288 Old 06-02-2007, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

My doctor has a degree in Naturopathy from Bastyr, he's one of two doctors at Clymer Healing Center.

I think you're really going to need to take the bull by the horns in this situation (seeing an allopathic MD.) You can order the ASI saliva test directly from Diagnos-Techs & have it sent to your home. Then you can take the paperwork to your doctor & have him/her sign it (you need a doctor's siggy) & then do the test according to the directions. IME, if you call a lab, they're usually happy to guide you. Make sure you read all of the paperwork because there are a few things that can throw off the results, like eating within a certain amount of time before saturating the cotton ball or brushing teeth or eating anything minty, etc.

I don't know that your doctor would know what to do with the results, but the lab should send them to you & your doctor. After you get the results, you could always call Clymer (or another doctor that *really* knows adrenal fatigue) & figure out what to do. I get the feeling that it's hard to find such a doctor since my doctor gets calls from all over the world from frustrated patients.

I wouldn't waste the time with a blood test (see my results above.) The ASI test from Diagnos-Techs is $99, and it's really the only tool you need to get started on healing (that and a good doctor.)

I just went to Diagnos-Techs' website, they list the reasons for doing a saliva test over a blood test, they also have a provider directory (but when I typed in Quakertown, PA, my doctor wasn't even listed!) so take that for what it's worth. Even my chiro didn't know what to do.
They also have a client online directory which I'd guess is where you order the ASI. You can always call them, I bet you could ask a lot of questions....

#6 of 2288 Old 06-02-2007, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Neat, this is the first time I've puttered around on the Diagnos-Techs website, here's what it says about the Adrenal Stress Index (ASI):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diagnos-Techs Site
2. Muscle & joint function
Abnormal adrenal rhythms are known to compromise tissue healing. Reduced tissue repair and increased tissue breakdown can lead to muscle and joint breakdown with chronic pain.

7. Thyroid function
The level of Cortisol at the cell level controls thyroid hormone production. Quite often, hypothyroid symptoms such as fatigue and low body temperature are due to an adrenal maladaptation.
That was really comforting to read since I've been suffering chronic muscle pain for almost 7 months now.

ETA: I had to edit a bit for copyright reasons, but please check out the Adrenal Stress Index link on the Diagnos-Techs website, interesting info & good explanations, to find it, click on the "Tests & Panels" link in the column on the left of your screen, then click on the first link, under "Adrenal Stress Index" called "Overview for Patients."

#7 of 2288 Old 06-02-2007, 11:35 PM

I've also got adrenal fatigue as well as hypothyroidism. I had been complaining of fatigue to doctors for the last 15 years (I'm 33 now). None of them ever did a thing about it.

By the time I was finally diagnosed I was barely doing much. If I went out for the day I'd need 3 days to recuperate.

This was the result of my Diagnos-Techs saliva test:

7:00-8:00am <1 depressed (13-24nM)
11:00-noon 6 normal (5-10nM)
4:00-5:00 8 normal (3-8nM)
11:00-midnight 3 normal (1-4nM)

cortisol burden 18 (23-42)
DHEA 2 depressed (3-10ng/ml)

E2 (estradiol) 14 (Luteal Phase: 7-20 pg/ml)
P1 (progesterone) 836 (Luteal phase: 65-500pg/ml)
TTF (free testosterone) 16 (8-20pg/ml)

(The progesterone was high because I had used proges cream the month before)

I started taking Hydrocortisone in February. The dose I take is physiological, 20mg broken up over 4x a day. These small doses do not cause all of the side effects that you normally read about with hydrocortisone. This dose gives my body the cortisol that I am missing.

Since I started the hydrocortisone (and switched to 3 1/2g Armour thyroid) I feel MUCH better. I actually have energy for the first time in a long time. I am actually going to bed before 4:00 in the morning and my insomnia has pretty much disappeared. I hope I can wean myself off of the HC in the next couple of months. I may need it for life and if that's the case than so be it.

I also take 1/2 tsp of salt a day. I should really be taking more like a Tbsp a day but I can't stomache it right now. I believe that I also have low aldosterone and I need to get that tested as well. Low aldosterone causes salt wasting, the symptoms I have are leg cramps, pounding heart and breathlessness. So, I would like to get that checked soon too.

I also try to take about 3000mg of vit c a day but I always forget. I take 2.5mg of DHEA and about 100mg of Magnesium.

That's all I can think of for now. It's nice to know there are others out there who have discovered they have this. I think Adrenal fatigue is very widespread but very under diagnosed....
#8 of 2288 Old 06-02-2007, 11:49 PM

Metasequioa, thanks so much for starting up this thread. I'm going to try to get my allopathic (with a natural bent) doc to help me with this. The test you mentioned sounds like a great resource.
#9 of 2288 Old 06-02-2007, 11:57 PM

Just wanted to pass this along. If you're interested in buying Chronic Fatigue Unmasked 2000 it's much cheaper here ($20) than at Amazon ($60).
#10 of 2288 Old 06-03-2007, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I go see a naturopath on Tuesday (6/5).....I'm hoping he can figure out what it wrong, although I am leaning towards Adrenal Fatigue. Is there anything I should be sure to ask? I already know I want to ask about the saliva test.

Do any of you have headaches? I have had this headache 24 hours a day/7 days a week for 14 months....it started 1 week after my son was born. It feels like my head is too full and I can feel my pulse pounding in my head at all times.

My symptoms-

Constant headache
Tired all the time
Have trouble getting out of bed in the morning
Have trouble falling asleep at night
Get a "rush" when I stand from sitting
Muscle aches
Anxiety attacks? Shortness of breath, heart pounding....started in March
I also had Hypoglycemia pretty bad while pregnant

I had an MRI last week and should get the results Monday or Tuesday.

What complicates my problem is that I have Interstitial Cystitis so taking vitamins is very hard for me as it causes extreme bladder pain....I do well on chewables and liquids, but no pills. On a GOOD night I get up about 3-5 times. BAD nights.....up to 30. This is probably what caused my problems in the first place.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#11 of 2288 Old 06-03-2007, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

From the Diagnos-Techs website:

Quote:
The ASI™ is mostly ordered for individuals that suffer from:

* Chronic stress and related health problems
* Lack of vitality and energy
* Muscle and joint pain
* Hypoglycemia
* Migraine headaches
* Osteoporosis
* Sleep disturbances
* Poor memory
* Alcohol intolerance
* Stress maladaptation
* Low sex drive
* Low body temperature

#12 of 2288 Old 06-04-2007, 11:18 PM

#13 of 2288 Old 06-04-2007, 11:34 PM

Metasequoia: My mom has AD and my naturopath suspects that I do as well based on my symptoms. However, she said that since I'm nursing right now, she would not be comfortable supplementing with any kind of hormones, so she said I might as well save my money on the testing for now.

Did your dr say anything about hormones while nursing?

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#14 of 2288 Old 06-05-2007, 11:01 AM

I went to the doc yesterday and they drew blood to test my thyroid. I should hear back in a few days. After describing my symptoms she said, "Well, if it's not your thyroid then we should consider that it's a MOOD DISORDER.." That seems like a really, really ridiculous conclusion to draw or option to throw out there after having spoken with me for 3 or 4 minutes. I hate MDs. Anyway, if my thyroid bloodwork comes back normal, I'll consult with a naturopath about AF.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#15 of 2288 Old 06-05-2007, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepplon View Post
Metasequoia: My mom has AD and my naturopath suspects that I do as well based on my symptoms. However, she said that since I'm nursing right now, she would not be comfortable supplementing with any kind of hormones, so she said I might as well save my money on the testing for now.

My doctor said it was perfectly safe. I tried to look it up on Hale's site but he doesn't have anything for hormones because they're bioidentical, they're not a "medication." The way my doctor explained it, was that these are naturally occurring hormones, identical to the ones that our bodies produce & since we are lacking them, what we're doing is just replacing what *should* be there but isn't. If you think about thyroid disease, *not* treating it can be detrimental to the nursling (from what I've read) so I can't help but wonder if the same could be true for AF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo
I went to the doc yesterday and they drew blood to test my thyroid. I should hear back in a few days. After describing my symptoms she said, "Well, if it's not your thyroid then we should consider that it's a MOOD DISORDER.." That seems like a really, really ridiculous conclusion to draw or option to throw out there after having spoken with me for 3 or 4 minutes. I hate MDs. Anyway, if my thyroid bloodwork comes back normal, I'll consult with a naturopath about AF.
Of course it's a mood disorder, buy WHY???? Why is there a mood disorder?? Maybe because you simply don't have the tools to deal with stress, maybe because you have no cortisol or too much cortisol!

If you look up adrenal fatigue, anxiety & depression are *ALWAYS* high on the list, perhaps you should enlighten your MD.

Yea, that's the common band aid approach, don't look for the root of the problem, just fix the symptoms. :

Keep us posted smokeylo.

#16 of 2288 Old 06-05-2007, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Smokeylo, I found this site which explains the misdiagnosis of Adrenal Fatigue pretty clearly.

Quote:
Diagnosing (and misdiagnosing) adrenal fatigue

To make matters worse, doctors often don't diagnose this problem. Dr. Wilson offers the example of a woman who has been to 37 doctors before finally receiving proper diagnosis and a renewed sense of hope. So, why don't doctors recognize adrenal fatigue? In medical school, they are only taught to look for extreme adrenal malfunction -- Addison's Disease, which occurs when the glands produce far too little cortisol, and Cushing's Syndrome, which stems from excessive cortisol production. They check adrenal function by testing ACTH levels, using a bell curve to recognize abnormal levels. This is where the problem occurs. ACTH tests only consider the top and bottom 2 percent of the curve abnormal, yet symptoms of adrenal malfunction occur after 15 percent of the mean on both sides of the curve. In other words, your adrenal glands can be functioning 20 percent below the mean and the rest of your body experiencing symptoms of adrenal fatigue, yet most mainstream physicians won't recognize that you have a problem.

#17 of 2288 Old 06-06-2007, 12:25 AM

So I went to the naturopath today. He said he is 99% sure I have Adrenal Fatigue based on my symptoms and he said thyroid problems usually coincide.
I am getting blood work done tomorrow to confirm. I have had my thyroid checked plenty of times and it always comes back fine, but he said they may not have checked T3. He is also checking, DHEA, my hormones, and for some vitamin deficiencies. He sent me home with a list of supplements to buy. He said to start out with a good vitamin and CoQ10. When we get my results back we'll go from there. He said if I wanted to start taking an adrenal supplement I could and wrote down what one to get, but they didn't have it at Sprouts. My MRI results came back fine.

Oh yeah, he also said I *could* get the saliva test for adrenal fatigue if I wanted, but that he probably doesn't need it as he feels confident that I have it. Are there any benefits of getting it if you are already pretty sure you have it?

Is there anything else I am missing that I should look into?

#18 of 2288 Old 06-06-2007, 12:57 AM

Thanks for the confidence boost, ladies! Docs can really me. I will let you know what the thyroid results are, and I will be looking around for a naturopath to consult w/.

About how much do their services run? I doubt that they are covered by my insurance.

#19 of 2288 Old 06-06-2007, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
My doctor said it was perfectly safe.
Thanks! It sounds like you found an awesome doc.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#20 of 2288 Old 06-06-2007, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepplon View Post

I'm not sure what hormones you plan on taking but I am currently pregnant and I'm still taking the Hydrocortisone. According the book I have "Safe Uses of Cortisol" it is safe to take (in very low doses) while pregnant. I do plan on continuing it while nursing.

From what I understand very little of it passes to breastmilk. It's just replacing a hormone that I am missing and it is bioidentical to the cortisol that our bodies should be producing.
#21 of 2288 Old 06-06-2007, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK_Mama View Post
So I went to the naturopath today. He said he is 99% sure I have Adrenal Fatigue based on my symptoms and he said thyroid problems usually coincide.
I am getting blood work done tomorrow to confirm. I have had my thyroid checked plenty of times and it always comes back fine, but he said they may not have checked T3. He is also checking, DHEA, my hormones, and for some vitamin deficiencies. He sent me home with a list of supplements to buy. He said to start out with a good vitamin and CoQ10. When we get my results back we'll go from there. He said if I wanted to start taking an adrenal supplement I could and wrote down what one to get, but they didn't have it at Sprouts. My MRI results came back fine.

Oh yeah, he also said I *could* get the saliva test for adrenal fatigue if I wanted, but that he probably doesn't need it as he feels confident that I have it. Are there any benefits of getting it if you are already pretty sure you have it?

Is there anything else I am missing that I should look into?
Take a look at the differences in the first post between my blood test results & my saliva test results. That's good news that your doc accepts that you are suffering from Adrenal Fatigue, but it sounds like he/she doesn't realize that you need to figure out what stage you're in. In the beginning, during the "fight or flight" response, you're producing loads of cortisol, as it progresses, your body can't keep up with the high demand for cortisol so it starts converting everything that comes in into cortisol.
Your body needs cholesterol, the first hormone your body makes from cholesterol is pregnenolone. Pregnenolone is further made into cortisol, aldosterone, DHEA & the sex hormones - your body manufactures whichever hormone is the first priority, so if it thinks it needs cortisol, it'll skip the DHEA, etc to make cortisol. Eventually, when you get in the later stages, your cortisol levels become very low - DHEA being low could be a sign of either mild, moderate or severe Adrenal Fatigue but you'll never know without a saliva test that measures your levels throughout the day.

My doctor wouldn't do anything until he had my saliva results back (even though he had my blood results from a different doctor), after that he came up with a treatment plan.

Your thyroid tests may *never* show anything abnormal, the adrenals & the thyroid are so interconnected, when the adrenals aren't functioning properly, there is almost *always* thyroid dysfunction.

My advice would be to just read as much as you can - try to get your hands on Chronic Fatigue Unmasked 2000 by Gerald Poesnecker.

#22 of 2288 Old 06-06-2007, 02:04 PM

Thank you so much for starting this thread. I read the list of symptoms and it's like a checklist for me. I had never even heard of AF before. Lots to read up on. Thanks for all the great resources. I think I'm going to do the saliva test. I thought I was just exhausted from my kiddos, but it would be so nice to have energy.
#23 of 2288 Old 06-06-2007, 02:16 PM

I was diagnosed with severe adrenal fatigue after the birth of my 1st daughter 2.5 years ago. I was treated by Dr. Go at the Optimal Wellness Center - Dr. Mercola's office - www.mercola.com. Dietary changes, stress reduction and supplements helped alot, but what has helped the most is I discovered back in November that I am intolerant to gluten. Once I stopped eating gluten, my health improved by leaps and bounds. The AF was actually secondary to the fact that I'm intolerant to gluten. I have been diagnosed as celiac, but strongly suspect I am after reading "Wheat Free, Worry Free". When a celiac eats gluten, it puts the body in a constant stress state - making it much harder for the adrenals to heal. Dr. Mercola's office actually said I was a protein type and wanted me to give up grain period - but I found that too hard to live with. Cutting out gluten has turned out to be sufficient, and I now suspect that if I were tested again - I would be a mixed metabolic type, not a protein type. I have felt for years that I was "not quite right" and I am so glad to have some answers. Blessings to all of you as you figure out what your own body's needs are!
#24 of 2288 Old 06-06-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
Take a look at the differences in the first post between my blood test results & my saliva test results. That's good news that your doc accepts that you are suffering from Adrenal Fatigue, but it sounds like he/she doesn't realize that you need to figure out what stage you're in. In the beginning, during the "fight or flight" response, you're producing loads of cortisol, as it progresses, your body can't keep up with the high demand for cortisol so it starts converting everything that comes in into cortisol.
Your body needs cholesterol, the first hormone your body makes from cholesterol is pregnenolone. Pregnenolone is further made into cortisol, aldosterone, DHEA & the sex hormones - your body manufactures whichever hormone is the first priority, so if it thinks it needs cortisol, it'll skip the DHEA, etc to make cortisol. Eventually, when you get in the later stages, your cortisol levels become very low - DHEA being low could be a sign of either mild, moderate or severe Adrenal Fatigue but you'll never know without a saliva test that measures your levels throughout the day.

My doctor wouldn't do anything until he had my saliva results back (even though he had my blood results from a different doctor), after that he came up with a treatment plan.

Your thyroid tests may *never* show anything abnormal, the adrenals & the thyroid are so interconnected, when the adrenals aren't functioning properly, there is almost *always* thyroid dysfunction.

My advice would be to just read as much as you can - try to get your hands on Chronic Fatigue Unmasked 2000 by Gerald Poesnecker.

Thanks for this information. That's really a great help! He said it was up to ME whether or not I wanted the saliva test because it would be $99 out of MY pocket. I told him if it was important I would do it and he basicly said it IS a better test but that we'd do the blood test first. He told me where to get the kit....apparently they have them at a compounding pharmacy around here and then the pharmacy would send the results directly to him after getting the results from the lab.

I noticed you mentioned sex hormones.....could this have anything to do with the fact that I can't orgasm during intercourse??

I guess I need to decide whether or not I am going to do the test before I start taking any supplements huh? :

#25 of 2288 Old 06-06-2007, 05:58 PM

Wow! I can't even focus enough to process the 1st post. I just want to sub to the thread so hopefully I can come back & actually be able to process it soon :

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#26 of 2288 Old 06-06-2007, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK_Mama
I noticed you mentioned sex hormones.....could this have anything to do with the fact that I can't orgasm during intercourse??
Libido? What's that? My desire is zilch - and that's not normal for me. It's on the list of symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue - it affects our progesterone, estrogen & testosterone, add that to the fact that many of us are nursing/co-sleeping & it's amazing that any of us has more than one child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK_Mama
I guess I need to decide whether or not I am going to do the test before I start taking any supplements huh? :
Good idea.

#27 of 2288 Old 06-06-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I did an ASI saliva test (Adrenal Stress Index.) That should be the first step - my doctor ordered mine through DiagnosTechs lab. After that, he came up with a healing plan. Everyone is different & the saliva test is essential in finding out what phase of adrenal exhaustion you're in. It cost me $99.
I am searching the site, but I can't see how to order the test. Or does the Dr have to do that?

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#28 of 2288 Old 06-06-2007, 07:55 PM

Cheryl, you can order the adrenal test through canary club:
http://thecanaryclub.org/content/view/196/52/

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#29 of 2288 Old 06-07-2007, 10:51 PM

subbing
#30 of 2288 Old 06-08-2007, 01:26 AM

One weird thing I've noticed (and I wanted to see if anyone else had) is that my body temperature drops after I get up and start doing stuff in the morning. I found out by accident and then started checking periodically--it drops by about 0.7-0.9 deg F after I get out of bed and walk to the bathroom, wash my face, etc. This seems like the type of thing that's related. Is it, or is it just me?

2bluefish--Just this week, suspecting that my amalgam fillings have been an underlying, contributing factor to my health problems, I am trying a gluten-free, casein-free diet. I didn't expect to feel any different (I tried it because my health care provider said it would be good for me and I figured I'd give it a shot) and whoa! I started to feel significantly better in just a couple days. I mean, I can still tell I’m not normal healthy, but it was a real difference. Isn't this amazing? I was just wondering if anyone else in the thread had seen improvement with dietary changes like this, and I log on and read your post. : It made me feel less like a nutcase (I’ve been having pangs lately, I think they’ll subside pretty soon). So thanks for posting.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page