Painful, red tick bite. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-03-2007, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dh found a woodtick on my back a few days ago when I woke up. I assume it was there all night. Today that spot hurts and is red. I asked dh if it was small like a deertick and he said no.

I also have been having a bad headache for two days and just overall don't feel great. I know only deerticks can carry lyme's disease so I don't worry about that but it seems strangely coincidental that I'd have these other symptoms all at the same time that the bite started hurting and turned red.

Does that sound normal for a tick bite? I should know this, I live in MN, but I don't!

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#2 of 5 Old 06-03-2007, 08:36 PM

Other ticks can carry the Lyme bacteria, as well as other common co-infections like Bartonella, Babesia & Erlichiosis, deer ticks are just the usual suspects. I'd be inclined to take Doxycycline if I had a headache & other aches. Lyme isn't something you want `to mess with.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#3 of 5 Old 06-03-2007, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not opposed to taking something if I have to, I'm just wondering if it's a normal reaction to have some pain and redness because I don't think I've ever had that reaction to a tick bite before.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#4 of 5 Old 06-04-2007, 08:55 AM

I think that the redness can be "normal," but the headaches & general not feeling well are not. Lyme is a clinical diagnosis, the blood tests are notoriously false-negative. In the future, you can save the tick (alive) & in situations like this, you could send the tick out for testing.

There has been new evidence of it being transmitted through BM, so I'd just keep an eye on the babe if you're nursing. ((Sorry))

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#5 of 5 Old 06-04-2007, 04:47 PM

You may want to get a hold of the book, "Healing Lyme Disease" by Stephen Herrod Buhner. He discuss Lyme disease and the other tick borne diseases.
I caught Lyme in December, and I've been messing with it. No yucky antibiotics for me, thank you very much, or for my extended nursed child.

One of the subtle symptoms of lyme is the decrease of the B vitamins in the urine -- the B vitamins makes the pee yellow - so if your pee is lighter than normal....

Homeopathic Ledum is suppose to be good in the very early stages of Lyme.
Astragalus is recommended as a preventative (1000 mg/day) and higher doses when the disease is being fought.
I am currently taking Cat's Claw, Astragalus and Resveratrol (only source naturals brand) to fight the lyme, and I'm happy to say, it is working.

and to quote a pharmacist I once worked with regarding pharmaceuticals... "It's all bad for you"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page