Annual Exam - Benefits/Embarrassments - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 34 Old 06-05-2007, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
 
Jessica88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mothers,

I ask this here because I can not think of a better place to ask with more women who are willing to help. I am an 18 year old woman and I find myself debating whether I really need an "annual exam". I have a boyfriend who I am not engaging in intercourse with. He is a virgin, as am I. I don't see a risk of contracting an STD (or HPV) from a virgin I'm not sleeping with. I know his parents, they are also not the type to have STDs that he would have caught at birth (nor are mine for that matter, pretty sure they're monogamous). I am really shy and I can't imagine anyone, male or female down there. My family does not have a history of cancer, I don't smoke and I'm through 2 of 3 Gardasil shots. My doctor is male and I don't really want a man down there that I don't love.

I look at this statistically:

Every year 11,500 women in the US are diagnosed with cervical cancer. Out of 150,000,000 women that is 0.007666% (per year).

Multiply by the 40 years that you're likely to get it. (20-60 years of age). =0.3066666%

Divide by 2 for not smoking. =0.153333% ...So thats 1.53 out of 1000, or basically one woman out of every woman I have ever met and had significant dialogue with. 1000 people is a lot and that's not like they will die tomorrow from it... but rather in their lifetimes.

(This statistic doesn't take into account having the preventative shots and negative family history.)

Now, I've volunteered in hospitals and I know how horrible cancer can be (I don't need/want to hear a bunch of cancer horror stories, there are terrible stories from every disease and I realize that). However, lots of things are just as tragic and painful and more common and aren't the focal point of an embarrassing yearly exam. In fact, I think more lives could be saved by the doctor reminding people to wear bike helmets and seatbelts than cervical cancer screening. Or what about telling patients to exercise and eat right obesity is a much bigger issue in America than cervical cancer, but that is a much smaller focus than the PAP/pelvic. (I'm average weight, this is just in general).

Everyone is going to die. I might get hit by a bus tomorrow so why worry about something that doesn't normally occur until you're 40, is accelerated by smoking and more common if you're very sexually active (when I'm not any of those things). There's cancer that can't be checked for that is just as horrible (brain tumors, lung cancer etc...) as cervical cancer (or prostate cancer in men) but just because these types are "checkable" we insist that they are checked. It's possible to have a full body scan and find any abnormalities, but we draw the line before that. Why is the line not drawn before exposing your privates and having them touched by someone who you aren't intimate with. PAP smears are not 100% effective and apparently bimanual exams aren't even very effective at detecting ovarian cancer. Seems to me that a lot of this is economics and the annual exams just fuel the economy. : S

Don't get me wrong, I prioritize health, but I don't feel I'm at risk for cervical cancer, and there's nothing else the doctor needs to check down there. I haven't had sex, so where would I get an STD, why would I need to be screened? My periods are regular and I don't have any discomfort, they also don't seem to be overly heavy or light... no worries there. The doctor also won't find any signs of "forced entry" (rape) because I have a very loving relationship and have had a protected childhood. Apparently these are the 3 things they check for... none of which concern me. So why go?

Is there an error in my calculations? If not can someone please explain why everyone thinks this "checkup" is such a high importance?

Until I want BCP, I really don't want to go. I also don't think this type of embarrassment should be required to receive BC, in an effort to protect myself. Doctors should not turn down women for BC if they don't have the exam. None of the things pelvic exams check for are even relevant to being on BCPs. I would hate for women to make the wrong decision and have unprotected sex because ignorant doctors force the pelvic exam (I am not likely to do this).

I feel I am relatively educated about STDs etc... Have very good (well I think so anyways...) genital health and at my age I am much more statistically likely to die of motor vehicle accidents, poisoning, drowning, fires, falls or suicide. ( http://www.statisticstop10.com/Cause...der_Teens.html) All things the doctor won't even mention the next time I'm in. I could understand inspecting my vagina if the exam was an all day thing and was so complete that they discussed all the other, much more common health concerns, but it isn't, so why is genital cancer special? Granted if caught at the right stage it's preventable, but so are a lot of causes of death.

If my logic is wrong, please convince me to go. Health is the most important to me, but logically this isn't making sense.

Thanks for the input, I need some of your wisdom here,

Jessica
Jessica88 is offline  
#2 of 34 Old 06-05-2007, 11:52 PM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, first I suggest you come over to the vaccination forum and reconsider Gardisil. I wouldn't inject my worst enemy with it.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
#3 of 34 Old 06-06-2007, 12:01 AM
 
fishface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's not a cervical cancer exam, nor are such visits STD checks. They don't even check for STDs unless you specifically ask them to. Your doctor will check your breasts for any abnormalities and teach you to do self exams. No, you are not too young for breast cancer. A Pap smear is recommended for women 21+, regardless of sexual activity. It checks for abnormal cells and infections. If you are 18 and REALLY don't want it, don't worry about it. Wait a few years if you want. During a pelvic exam the doctor will feel the position of your reproductive organs by placing a finger or two inside you and using the other hand to feel along the outside of your belly.

Being a virgin doesn't mean your body can't do something wonky. I think you should either find a female practitioner you can feel comfortable with or suck it up and go to your male doctor. Having a pelvic exam does not mean you are no longer a virgin or tainted in any way. This is an important thing to do for your health and there are other things to be concerned about beside cervical cancer.

I understand your anxiety but you're making too many excuses for not going. Yo udon't have to get a Pap smear, but get a breast exam and pelvic exam. Also, stop the Gardasil immediately. Head over to the vaccinations forum here.

Quote:
None of the things pelvic exams check for are even relevant to being on BCPs. I would hate for women to make the wrong decision and have unprotected sex because ignorant doctors force the pelvic exam (I am not likely to do this).
Weight, blood pressure, and learning about other risk factors like smoking ARE important and are part of the exam. I'm sorry you feel all doctors are ignorant. When you said "I am not likely to do this", do you mean have a pelvic exam? Never? Because that's just being irresponsible to yourself.

Quote:
Apparently these are the 3 things they check for... none of which concern me. So why go?
Please do some research by running searches on "pelvic exams", "breast exams", and "Pap smears". It's a bigger picture than you think it is. And no, doctors don't check for "forced entry" at your exams.
fishface is offline  
#4 of 34 Old 06-06-2007, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter
 
Jessica88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you for your opinions, however so far it just seems like hype.

I have read that the doctor is in fact checking for cancer, std's (visually ie discharge check), signs of abuse (rape), and then of course, as you mentioned, how the internal organs lie.

Now I think that that I'm free of STDs, have not been abused, the risk of cancer doesn't really concern me (especially at this age) and even if my internal organs aren't aligned properly, whats the issue? I don't have pain and if they weren't in the proper place, how is this fixed anyways? Invasive surgery? How common is that?

Also, "Not likely to do this" was refering to opt out of having protected sex just because of the exam (disclaimer so I didn't get lectured on that front).

I didn't say I was opposed to breast exams and I find the thought of that a lot less intrusive with a lot higher benefit... I was mainly discussing the pelvic/PAP tests.

I don't mean to imply that I think that doctors are evil or anything, or that I don't trust them, it's just a comfort thing and maybe I just need a way to rethink the risks/benefits. (So far I don't see a lot of high risk genital problems considering so far everything is working and doing what I want it to do).

Please inform me of the dangers of Gardasil... the 3 deaths that have been in the media? There's risk to anything. They could have been alergic to the chemical base and not reacting to the active part of the vaccine at all.

"As of 22 May 2007, 7 Victorian schoolgirls from Sacred Heart Girls' College were briefly hospitalized after receiving an injection of the Gardasil vaccine and were taken to the Monash Medical Centre. [28][29] One was temporarily paralysed*. Health authorities do not believe that these are directly related to the vaccine." - Not too worried. Seems like improper administration of the vax, considering all the problems are in a very small sample.

Also the FDA is pretty sure the 3 deaths that seem related to Gardasil aren't. 3 million women have received the vax and 3 have died, and those may or may not be related events. 1 out of a million odds. I can say all I have experienced is localized pain at the point of injection.
Jessica88 is offline  
#5 of 34 Old 06-06-2007, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter
 
Jessica88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"hype" might be the wrong word. But it seems everyone goes because their mothers and sisters and friends all go and it seems like the right thing to do. I just don't appreciate the risk right now... :
Jessica88 is offline  
#6 of 34 Old 06-06-2007, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter
 
Jessica88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oops double post
Jessica88 is offline  
#7 of 34 Old 06-06-2007, 01:14 AM
 
Snowdrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I completely agree with your concerns. Personally, the ideal for me would be an annual or so visit with a GP that does not include a pelvic exam or any other specifically reproductive issues and a meeting annually with a homebirth midwife who does well-woman care--most do. She can help you with any reproductive organ/breast concerns and you can decide with her when to get paps/pelvics etc. Such a meeting might be in your home or her more homey office or birth center, or it might be in her home. It will be longer and more conversational than a gyn visit, and it will not involve: a flimsy paper gown, stirrups, an extra observer (unless you want one), a waiting room full of strangers, a long wait, a lot of paperwork and insurance issues, (but you will pay out of pocket--most midwives I know of charge about $65 for a well-woman visit and this typically includes a pap), a public in-the-wall weight check, or any of the other numerous indignities the medical profession visits upon women.

I was a virgin until I was 22 and I found the thought of a gyn visit terrifying and unpleasant. I find it even more so now that I have birthed a child and have even more respect for my reproductive abilities. I certainly have more respect for that part of me than the medical profession does.

I also *really* hate that many/most women seen to have pretty much all of their medical care through an ob/gyn. We are people, not sex-and-baby machines, and we should have our health concerns addressed by a care provider with broader training and experience.
Snowdrift is offline  
#8 of 34 Old 06-06-2007, 01:51 AM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica88 View Post

Please inform me of the dangers of Gardasil... the 3 deaths that have been in the media? There's risk to anything. They could have been alergic to the chemical base and not reacting to the active part of the vaccine at all.

"As of 22 May 2007, 7 Victorian schoolgirls from Sacred Heart Girls' College were briefly hospitalized after receiving an injection of the Gardasil vaccine and were taken to the Monash Medical Centre. [28][29] One was temporarily paralysed*. Health authorities do not believe that these are directly related to the vaccine." - Not too worried. Seems like improper administration of the vax, considering all the problems are in a very small sample.

Also the FDA is pretty sure the 3 deaths that seem related to Gardasil aren't. 3 million women have received the vax and 3 have died, and those may or may not be related events. 1 out of a million odds. I can say all I have experienced is localized pain at the point of injection.
Come over to the vaccination forum. Vaccines aren't all they're cracked up to be.

My children will not be vaccinated at all.

And fwiw I don't do the traditional "well-woman" care either.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
#9 of 34 Old 06-06-2007, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter
 
Jessica88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well is this a fairly common concern then? Do most of you all go and actually get a routine/regular test done or do you skip a few?

I guess my other concern is that prostate cancer is much more common in men than cervical cancer is in women. It's onset (on average) isn't that much later... yet men don't have to be screened until 40 (sometimes later) and women have to get their full genitalia scoped out at 18-21 and yearly from then on... seems a little bizzare to me...
Jessica88 is offline  
#10 of 34 Old 06-06-2007, 02:44 AM
 
shelbean91's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 9,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To get a birth control pill, you have to go every year. they won't renew it without. Some docs even request more often b/c the hormones with the pill can cause abrupt changes (my old doc wanted to see me every 6 mos, but with the free samples he gave me each time, it ended up being about every 9 mos.

When I wasn't on the pill, I was having my kids. I had pap either right before getting pg or at my first prenatal and another a year later. Then, i went for a while in between.

Once you've had 3 'clean' paps, you're supposed to only have to go every 3 years.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
shelbean91 is offline  
#11 of 34 Old 06-06-2007, 02:44 AM
 
angelcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't get a pelvic exam until after I had had sex.(I was 24) I was told the exam only hurt if you were a virgin. I"m not sure it should even if you are, but I know form my mom and at least one friend that it can. I"m glad I waited til after I had had sex.

I TRY to get in once a year as recommended, but I mad really bad at remembering. My last exam was my 6 week checkup, and my daughter is almost 2.

I use to have multiple partners and didn't practice safe sex, so I do need to worry about cervical cancer. I passed all the std tests in pregnancy though, so no worries there.

The only times I've ever had a breast exam were once when I thought I ofund a lump, and then when I was pregnant. It's not normally done, at least in younger women.
angelcat is offline  
#12 of 34 Old 06-06-2007, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter
 
Jessica88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, the breast exam isn't done in young women? That was the biggest reason I was thinking about going....
Jessica88 is offline  
#13 of 34 Old 06-06-2007, 02:49 AM
 
shelbean91's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 9,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had a breast exam at every annual well woman exam, since I started going at 15ish

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
shelbean91 is offline  
#14 of 34 Old 06-06-2007, 02:56 AM
 
angelcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica88 View Post
Oh, the breast exam isn't done in young women? That was the biggest reason I was thinking about going....
It may vary depending on the doctor, but I never had it done unless I specifically had a concern, except when I was pregnant. I think it should be done, altho frankly, I'd rather have a pelvic exam. (well, first choice would be neither).
angelcat is offline  
#15 of 34 Old 06-06-2007, 11:42 AM
 
PGTlatte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago far NWS
Posts: 2,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To the OP - when you do decide to get an exam, you don't have to go to a male doctor, or even to an OB - midwives can do well-woman exams. You might be more comfortable in the care of a midwife.

When I went for an exam when I was 18, I remember the doctor had this fabric model of a breast that had different types of lumps in it. He had me feel the different lumps to demonstrate what they feel like and know what breast cancer lumps usually feel like.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
PGTlatte is offline  
#16 of 34 Old 06-06-2007, 02:05 PM
 
CarrieMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta/Saskatchewan
Posts: 8,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I have read that the doctor is in fact checking for cancer, std's (visually ie discharge check), signs of abuse (rape), and then of course, as you mentioned, how the internal organs lie.
My dr has never checked for STD's other than when I had my miscarriages as they can be a cause of that. They never looked for signs of abuse. He has commented on if I have extra vaginal discharge(you have it no matter what) as it could be a asymptomatic yeast infection or bacterial vaginosis.

Are you at all comfortable with your dr? IME female dr's tend to be more rough physically & are not sympathetic. Even my dr(a male) has commented on it & his wife is a dr.lol

If you are comfortable with your dr, you can talk to him about what you are & are not comfortable having. My dr will not do a prostate exam on a man if they aren't comfortable, if a woman wasn't comfortable with the vaginal exam he'd be fine not doing it too. If you are comfortable having a breast exam limit it to that. Mine does an external check of my abdomen, lungs, blood pressure, weight & height & takes a family history to see if there are any future concerns that may come up. Every few years he does blood work to check cholesterol, iron & a couple of other things.

I never had my first vaginal exam until I was 21 & 15 weeks pregnant with my first. I never went due to what I was told by friends in highschool. It was unnecessary fear of the unknown.

During my physical exams I am laughing most of the time. Once my dr & the nurse just about had a KY Jelly fight.lol

When you get a vaginal exam done, like all other tests, your dr will not what YOUR normal is. Then if something was to change he can compare that to your specific body instead of the average bodies over several years that the stats give.

I understand the stats you've given on cervical cancer, but what if you are one of the ones who gets it. Teens younger than you have had cervical cancer.
CarrieMF is offline  
#17 of 34 Old 06-06-2007, 02:51 PM
 
mavery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I look at the annual exam as a time I actually see my GP (I otherwise almost never go), ask a few questions (though I usually do my own additional research, I find her opinion useful on a lot of topics), and have someone keep track of my general health (weight, blood pressure, all that stuff).

I have always had breast exams at annuals. Breast exams are useful. For example, I have always had fibrocystic breast lumps and don't have a good idea of how "bad" lumps would feel any different from the ones I usually have, unlike my doctor who has felt such lumps before. Even if your doctor doesn't routinely offer breast exams for someone your age, I am certain you could ask for one.

It sounds like you could reasonably wait a few years for a PAP smear if you prefer not to do it now, but I personally would recommend doing it once you are 21 or sexually active. Precancerous changes are easy to treat or keep an eye on, and can occur well before cervical cancer would actually be diagnosed. I have known three or four friends (all aged 18-35) have early changes treated which, if they had turned into cervical cancer, would have required much more invasive treatment and a poorer outlook. The statistics are on your side, it's true, but when it only costs 5 minutes of embarrassment (personally I don't feel embarrassed, but I can sympathise with your feeling that way), I don't think that's a very good reason to skip it.

ETA: I re-read your OP and it sounds like it's more than embarrassment for you. It would be worth, whether you do the exam now or not, finding a doctor you feel comfortable with and trust, and it might be worth thinking about what makes you feel so strongly opposed to having the exam. It's utterly routine for the doctor, and if (for example) you ever have kids, you'll sure be showing that part of your body to a few (medical) people!
mavery is offline  
#18 of 34 Old 06-07-2007, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter
 
Jessica88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kids are the main reason I want to ensure that area is healthy. So I guess the odds are with my reasoning, but it's worth going. But I can wait until 21-24ish. : )

(Or until I want BCPs or pregnancy/just before it)
Jessica88 is offline  
#19 of 34 Old 06-07-2007, 02:09 AM
 
grisandole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't do pelvic exams at all, mostly for the reasons you mentioned in your OP

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

grisandole is offline  
#20 of 34 Old 06-07-2007, 02:16 AM
 
MCatLvrMom2A&X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: With Vin Diesel ;) YUMMMM
Posts: 14,886
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I never had a vaginal exam until I was getting married and needing to go on birth control. It was a horribly embarressing proceedure for me. The Dr. was great and helped me calm down when I was crying over it sitting there feeling more vurnerable than I had in my life.

The only person I wanted down there was my future dh. I was a virgin by the way when I had the exam and that made it worse in many ways for me.

I have never had a abnormal pap so I dont intend to go every year for a pap. I am not at risk for std since me and dh are monogomis and the exams are stressfull to me so I will avoid them. I may go in a few years but I just dont see the point in going every year. In Europe I have heard they only go every 2-3 yrs sometimes longer.

 
SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

MCatLvrMom2A&X is offline  
#21 of 34 Old 06-07-2007, 04:22 AM
 
oneKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FWIW I don't do "well woman" exams either, for mostly the same reasons as the OP. I don't feel they are necessary for me. Since it is my (and every person's) right to choose whether or not the "risks" are worth the "benefits" I am comfortable with my decision.

I don't go to have any of my other organs "checked out" every year, why should I those especially private ones?
oneKnight is offline  
#22 of 34 Old 06-07-2007, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
 
Jessica88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why do people go more often in the US? Actual health reason? Or because everyone else does (Societal choice)? (If so, why do we put up with that?) Or is it just to help drive the medical industry?

Or is it because doctors are trained to not trust someone who says they are a virgin and are led to assume that everyone may or may not have problems so it's important to treat everyone like they are "high risk"?
Jessica88 is offline  
#23 of 34 Old 06-07-2007, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
 
Jessica88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"I don't go to have any of my other organs "checked out" every year, why should I those especially private ones?"

Exactly oneKnight. If I went every year to get my heart, liver and lungs examined I'd understand better. Now obviously there's no easy access passageway to get to those like the vaginal canal is to reach the ovaries. But there's other blood tests and other diagnostic tests available. The PAP/pelvic is relatively cheap so it is easier to justify (financially) every year than a full body MRI (Not that I would get one of those either, the radiation is similar to being 1 mile from the epicenter of Hiroshima.) However, just because the "well woman" exam is cheap, it shouldn't have to be the main/only thing checked. From what I can tell it's uncomfortable, embarrassing and demoralizing - the cost might be higher, even if not monetary.
Jessica88 is offline  
#24 of 34 Old 06-07-2007, 11:13 AM
 
mavery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
MRI (Not that I would get one of those either, the radiation is similar to being 1 mile from the epicenter of Hiroshima.)
I think you are thinking of a CT scan. An MRI uses only magnetic and radio waves, no ionizing radiation.
mavery is offline  
#25 of 34 Old 06-07-2007, 11:40 AM
 
CarrieMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta/Saskatchewan
Posts: 8,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Or is it because doctors are trained to not trust someone who says they are a virgin and are led to assume that everyone may or may not have problems so it's important to treat everyone like they are "high risk"?
I don't understand why you seem to think that being a virgin will have an impact on the exam(from the dr's perspective). It seem to me that either you've had a really really bad experience with a dr or information you've been told is false.

Being tested is not assuming that a person is "high risk". STD's have NOTHING to do with an annual pelvic exam.

Quote:
If I went every year to get my heart, liver and lungs examined I'd understand better.
actually these are checked annually. They listen to the heart & lungs, they check the liver(and the function of other organs) through bloodwork. They also check your throat, ears, eyes.
CarrieMF is offline  
#26 of 34 Old 06-07-2007, 12:27 PM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
actually these are checked annually. They listen to the heart & lungs, they check the liver(and the function of other organs) through bloodwork. They also check your throat, ears, eyes.
Unless you don't see a dr. yearly. Perhaps what she was refering to.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
#27 of 34 Old 06-07-2007, 11:19 PM
 
oneKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Unless you don't see a dr. yearly. Perhaps what she was refering to.

-Angela
That's right. I don't go in every year "just because". I haven't seen the doc since I broke my finger in 2004.
oneKnight is offline  
#28 of 34 Old 06-08-2007, 01:33 AM
 
asoulunbound's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hear you on the embarrassment factor. I don't want a WW exam now or ever. Having my ped. teach me how to do a breast self exam a few years ago was mortifying.
My problem is that I may have recently made some poor choices in the heat of the moment. : So, I think... I know I should go get a WW, but I don't want to go.
Plus, I think I have really good reasons: I don't have insurance (okay, it runs out in about three-ish weeks), no job, no established dr., and I refuse to go to a Planned Parenthood because I disagree with alot of their actions (and inactions!).
So I'm kinda stuck right now. I've been job hunting, and I am trying hard to find one with insurance.
asoulunbound is offline  
#29 of 34 Old 06-08-2007, 01:34 AM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneKnight View Post
That's right. I don't go in every year "just because". I haven't seen the doc since I broke my finger in 2004.
So why are you doing gardisil?

-Angela
alegna is offline  
#30 of 34 Old 06-08-2007, 01:50 AM
 
oneKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
So why are you doing gardisil?

-Angela
I'm not. (I don't do vaxes period.) The OP is/was.
oneKnight is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off