Our doctor said to give abx or in a week she will be on IV abx - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-06-2007, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dd (10 mo) has been sick for a long time now. It started as just an ear infection which I tried to treat naturally and then got a sinus infection and diarrhea and just keeps getting sicker. The doctor yesterday said her ear looks awful-one of the worst she has seen in a while and that given everything going on she is postive she has a bacterial infection. We told her how we feel about abx and she actually listened and was nice, but told us that she is concerned that the infection is going through her system.

I know that doctors will prescribe abx at the drop of a hat and I don't always listen to ours but, dd has been miserable for 3 weeks now. I tried homeopathy and letting her fight it off, but it is just getting worse. So ideally I would have taken her to a homeopath as soon as she started getting worse, but I am new at this and did not think it would take the turn it has. Am I a bad mom for just giving abx this time, learning from the mistake, and next time get a hold on things much earlier?

I hate to see my dd so sick and miserable and next time I will take her to a homeopath/naturopath much earlier, I just hate to do abx. I started the first dose of abx and probiotics as I just want her better and it scares me what the doctor said about the infection traveling throughout her body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 06-06-2007, 01:16 PM

IMO there is a time to use the more conventional medicine. It isn't you do one or the other but a combinatin of both. Sometimes the wholistic stuff works & other times it doesn't and that's when you need the westernized medicine.

FWIW 3 weeks is about the time I take my kids in if they're sick & not getting better. You'll know in 1.5 days if the antibiotic is working. If she starts to get better you'll feel better about giving her the antibiotics.
#3 of 11 Old 06-06-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahwilson View Post
Am I a bad mom for just giving abx this time
No!

Antibiotics have their uses, and it's my personal opinion that it's their over use that will create problems. It's when people get a little sniffle and run off to the doctor for a script that leaves me shaking my head. I hardly think you would fall under that header.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#4 of 11 Old 06-06-2007, 07:47 PM

I would give them in this case, as others have said - they have a place, and in a child that hasn't had them repeatedly they are more likly to work effectivly.
My youngest (15m) has had them 3 times - she has a cleft pallet and gets bad ear infections. We take a wait and see aproach and 3/4 of the time do nothing, but there have been times where we did use them and they kicked it well and she was a whole new little girl. (we are awaiting surgury to repair the cleft and place ear tubes - that should solve the problems for us) We also use natural and homeopathic suportive thearopys before and durring infections and treatments.
Get a good Infant probiotic powder - the kind you need to keep in the fridge(or freezer) and give it 2 hours after the abx's - put is in some food she likes or even mixed in water in a syringe.
#5 of 11 Old 06-06-2007, 08:04 PM

I believe in always treating ear infections, as they can get very bad and even cause permanent hearing loss. But I never give antbx to my kids for them, I use treatments I learned from my ND.

But you're doing the right thing. If you don't already have a relationship with a good homeopath or ND, the next best thing to do when a child's illness is beyond your level of experience is to just take them to the MD. It's so important to make sure they're safe.

And of course there's lots you can do to rebalance her system after the meds.
#6 of 11 Old 06-07-2007, 04:30 AM

The only thing I ever have to get antibiotics for ear/sinus infections. Something about them is VERY hard for me to get rid of naturally/with my immune system. (Otherwise, I'm "never" sick except the near-chronic sinus problems.)
Be sure to use some probiotics and continue trying to keep the immune system strong. I always get a round of the yeasties after the antibiotics
#7 of 11 Old 06-07-2007, 09:45 AM

You are risking to get complications by permitting the infection to spread.
I think 3 weeks is somewhat too long to procrastinate with abx. More severe and complicated infection requires longer therapy and with more potent antibiotics.
#8 of 11 Old 06-07-2007, 12:26 PM

I agree with the pp's. Overuse of abx is bad.... but there is a time and a place to use them, IMO. DD is two and a half, and she's had a few ear infections. I was able to treat all of them but one here at home with some garlic/oil drops and heat. The one I couldn't treat, I knew after a few days that it would require abx... it was clear that it just kept getting worse and worse instead of starting to clear up on it's own like it should have.
#9 of 11 Old 06-07-2007, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

I defintily feel better now about giving them...it's hard when you make something out to be so bad and then end up needing to give it to your child. DD actually slept last night though- no screaming- and she got that light back in her eyes. Her nose is still stuffy, but she seems to be feeling better.

Heres my next question, Do you think it is worthwhile to still see a chiropractor/homeopath here in a couple weeks? He has been highly reccommended to me, but I don't want to do it if it is not neccessary now since it will cost us. It really stinks that we can take dd to the MD and get antibiotics for free (state healthcare), but to see a chiropractor and homeopath we have to spend some of our savings...:
#10 of 11 Old 06-07-2007, 01:25 PM

I know it's expensive. That's why I taught myself homeopathy. There's no way we can afford to keep paying a homeopath.

Maybe just go to the chiropracter. Some of them give steep discounts for patients paying out of pocket. They might also help you come up with a payment plan that would make it so you don't have to dip into savings. It's really important to try to go not only because it can improve the immune system, but also because it can prevent things like scoliosis from developing.
#11 of 11 Old 06-07-2007, 02:58 PM

There are times when anitbiotics are necessary! They are NOT all evil.

I know our Ped is very conservative about them. He only gives them when he feels its absolutely necessary.

We have been through a lot with my daughter. So I definately have a different take on medicine and the medical community.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page