Fullness in throat - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-08-2007, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the past weeks, I've been getting a really full feeling in my throat. It's not interfering with my breathing or eating or swallowing or anything. It's just uncomfy. Any ideas what could be causing it?
#2 of 10 Old 06-08-2007, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Allergies. Post-nasal drip? I get this all the time.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#3 of 10 Old 06-08-2007, 12:17 PM

You should have your thyroid checked by a doctor. They will simply feel your throat and take a little blood.

Your thyroid is a butterfly shaped gland in the front of your neck. It can grow quite large and turn onto a goiter of there are problems.

Good luck!
#4 of 10 Old 06-08-2007, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

AFAIK, no allergies. Nothing to lead me to believe I have any either. And I don't think it's post-nasal drip. Nothing's different with my sinses anyway.

I had my thyroid checked in the fall, full panel of tests, and everything came back normal. : That's what I felt pretty sure was the culprit for the various symptoms I have (weight gain, extreme fatigue, constipation, joint pain, my hair falling out by the handful, and now the throat thing). I guess I need to go back in.
#5 of 10 Old 06-08-2007, 09:11 PM

Are you sad or grieving or keeping feelings in? If so, try homopathic Ignatia

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#6 of 10 Old 06-08-2007, 11:41 PM

I get the same feeling in my throat from time to time. It can last days, or even weeks. I also get a feeling like a lump is inside of my throat from time to time. This feeling can also last weeks on end but does not interfere with swallowing and breathing. My doctors suspect it is the result of acid reflux although I do not typically feel the reflux happening. I actually just scheduled myself for an endosopy or whatever the upper GI test is called...going on July 3. The less invasive scopes of my throat have never revealed anything irregular.
#7 of 10 Old 06-09-2007, 01:35 PM

I had a similar feeling and all my thyroid blood tests came back normal BUT I had an ultrasound and they found several nodules on my thyroid
#8 of 10 Old 06-09-2007, 01:38 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Wow, I have the same problem. It feels "full" from the inside and the outside. I can't even wear turtlenecks anymore.......I instantly feel like I am choking with a turtleneck on. A year later, I still don't know what it is. Good luck!

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#9 of 10 Old 06-09-2007, 01:55 PM

Oh, and I have also heard that a feeling like this could be caused by neurological things.
#10 of 10 Old 06-09-2007, 01:59 PM

Well, I'll throw another (weird, unlikely) hypothesis in there from my experience. I had fullness and "clicking" when I swallowed. Turns out I have arthritis in my throat. There is a joint in your throat which is activated when you swallow. Mine is arthritic. The ENT who dx it says he sees only a case or 2 a year. For me, I think it's related to my (mild) lupus.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page