Natural sleep aids for children - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-11-2007, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
*Ok, I have no idea if this is in the right place or not so please feel free to move if need be.

I have a question about natural sleep aids for children. My dd2 Sara is on the spectrum and has SID, she has horrible sleeping patterns and when she doesn't get enough sleep it makes her so much worse in the morning. She has to get her sleep or her SID can be almost unbearable the next day. She also has night terrors to make it worse and the combo of her SID and my not getting enough sleep either is not good for either of us

I keep meaning to pick up some Hylands sleep aid but I forgot again today and now I can't find our Rescue Remedy and she is having a pretty bad night right now. I do have some Tom's of Maine Sleep aid but it says not for children under 6, well Sara is almost 5.

A dose for an adult is 6 teaspoons so couldn't I give her like 1/2 teaspoon to calm her and let her have a good night sleep??

I don't think either of us will survive another sleepless night!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2007, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, well I did it. I gave her 1/2 teaspoon in a glass of water because she is always thirsty on bad nights. She drank it down and I just looked over and she is peacefully sleeping. Of course now I am going to be up all night worrying that she is going to have some sort of reaction so there goes my night of sleep!
Old 06-12-2007, 12:08 AM

Our pediatrician recommended time release melatonin for my 4yo dd. 6mg. It diddn't work for us but it might for you. My dd has had major sleep issues, including night terrors, for seversl years. I understand your frustrations completely.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:19 AM

Magnesium is great for encouraging sleep. Epsom salt baths are also very helpful.

Certain foods are good for inducing sleep because of the Trytophan in them: turkey, chicken, yogurt, and peanut butter are a few. Yogurt is particularly good because it also has good amounts of calcium and magnesium. Also, a complex carb like whole wheat toast or potato is good. I well chosen bedtime snack sometimes makes the difference for me and my ds who is also a terrible sleeper.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjo View Post
Magnesium is great for encouraging sleep. Epsom salt baths are also very helpful.

Certain foods are good for inducing sleep because of the Trytophan in them: turkey, chicken, yogurt, and peanut butter are a few. Yogurt is particularly good because it also has good amounts of calcium and magnesium. Also, a complex carb like whole wheat toast or potato is good. I well chosen bedtime snack sometimes makes the difference for me and my ds who is also a terrible sleeper.
I'll have to remember that. We always take a bath before bedtime and sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. I'll have to remember the food thing, maybe a nice piece of whole wheat toast w/ some peanut butter on top will be something to try tomorrow night.

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2007, 12:43 AM

I'll second the epsom salt bath. In my ds's case, it's not a drastic effect, but he does seem to sleep a little better after those. You could also try posting in special needs parenting (if you haven't already), lots of good info and helpful mamas over there.

Grian, where do you get timed-release melatonin? Ds is usually has little trouble going to sleep, but he's been having trouble staying asleep lately. Theoretically, the time-released aspect would help with that, right? (sorry to hijack!)
Old 06-13-2007, 01:15 AM

My boys recently started a summer daycare program since I've gone back to work, and my youngest ds 5 has had trouble sleeping. I've been giving him the Rescue Remedy pastilles from our hfs, and Calms Forte for kids from Hylands, a homeopathic sleep/relaxation aid. I think his sleeplessness is from the big change in lifestyle, but it really seems to be helping and I'm not worried about over dosing him. He's been sleeping great!
Anna
Old 06-13-2007, 11:14 AM

Here is a list of foods that can promote sleep.

Herbs with sedative properties are california poppy (was used by the Native Americans as a gentle sedative for children and the elderly), valerian (may be used for children), chamomile (one of the safest herbs).
Old 06-13-2007, 11:44 AM

my dd has sensory issues and we found out a couple of months ago that wearing a hat (specifically a hanna andersen pilot cap) makes a huge difference is how peacefully she sleeps.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14

User Tag List