homeopathy for lung strengthening/restoration??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-24-2007, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
EVC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am asking this question for dh....He has been a heavy smoker for many years. Lately, he has developed a cough with tight chest and difficulty inhaling right after he wakes up in the mornings. It usually only lasts about 10 - 15 minutes and then he is fine. Nevertheless, this is clearly a sign that his lungs are in bad shape. Of course, the best thing would be to quit smoking, but that's not going to happen any time soon

So I was wondering if anyone knows any homeopathic/herbal treatments for strengthening and restoring lung capacity?

TIA!

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#2 of 7 Old 06-24-2007, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
am asking this question for dh....He has been a heavy smoker for many years. Lately, he has developed a cough with tight chest and difficulty inhaling right after he wakes up in the mornings. It usually only lasts about 10 - 15 minutes and then he is fine. Nevertheless, this is clearly a sign that his lungs are in bad shape. Of course, the best thing would be to quit smoking, but that's not going to happen any time soon

So I was wondering if anyone knows any homeopathic/herbal treatments for strengthening and restoring lung capacity?
Personally, I think he needs to see a doctor (allopathic or homeopathic, whatever suits your life).

You could be making a BIG mistake trying to diagnose him yourself and "treating" him with suggestions from a message board.

I have no sympathy for smokers that won't quit (for their families, if nothing else) but feel terrible as a direct result of their smoking. They want their cigarettes AND good health. Sorry, you can't have both. Get a backbone and QUIT.

His smoking is putting YOU at risk for that disease, as well as your child, even if he doesn't smoke directly around you. It is in his clothing and his breath and on his skin and in his sweat. Ask a smoker to touch a tomato plant and look at the leaves the next day. They'll be dying or dead.

Trying to conceive? Smoking reduces sperm counts and affects circulation.

Smoking causes so many terrible conditions and, of course, the worst being cancer.

Lung cancer is a nasty disease. My darling mil died 2 months from the day she was diagnosed (she died Christmas night). She'd quit smoking 4 years earlier (after smoking for 50 years).

Nothing will strengthen and restore lung capacity unless he quits smoking.

Please have your husband see a doctor. I don't believe people that say they can't quit. Nicotine IS addictive, but there are treatments to help quit smoking and a doctor can help with this. Ask your husband what is more important: the damned cigarettes or his family?

He has a decision he can make. Or, he can continue to smoke and the choice will be made for him, and it may not be the one any of you want made.

If he still won't quit, ask him to make sure your legal papers are up-to-date and that he has good life insurance. If he won't protect you now, the least he can do is offer some protection later, if it comes to that.
#3 of 7 Old 06-24-2007, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
EVC

I have tried to convince him to quit MANY times...For now, it's just not going to happen (he has various excuses). At any rate, we could either constantly fight about it (which would do no good except to raise everyone's stress levels), or I can make my peace with it. So I have chosen the latter....I also agree that he should see a doctor, but he refuses. This is another thing we have had arguments about--but he won't budge. He rejects the American medical system on principle and therefore refuses to patronise it. He said he would see a doctor the next time he visits his home country--but that won't be until next summer.

Which leaves me a little stuck. So I was hoping to find something that might strengthen his lungs or provide some cleansing function to at least get him through to next summer when he will be able to see a doctor.

#4 of 7 Old 06-24-2007, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Where is he from? Perhaps you can find a doctor from that country (it might make him feel more trusting, you know). Are there friends of his that hail from the same part of the world that might have some influence on him and offer some suggested medical providers?

I understand the distrust of American medical system (sometimes it IS totally whacked ). But, what type of doctors practice in his home country and how are they different than your local physician base? Would he be willing to see a homeopath as a type of alternative healthcare provider?

What is his basis for his rejection of American medicine? Perhaps we could help with some convincing arguments about the fact that not ALL of it is bad (and, that a LOT of it IS good)!

I just hate that his distrust could cost him valuable time (for treatment and for, possibly, being with his family).
#5 of 7 Old 06-24-2007, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
EVC

His distrust stems from two things: 1. he believes that doctors who charge more than a symbolic amount of money for their services are unethical (he grew up with socialized medecine and refuses to accept people who make a profit from other people's misfortumes--i.e. American doctors) 2. he believes that American doctors are, for the most part, completely incompetent and he refuses to trust them.

Quote:
re there friends of his that hail from the same part of the world that might have some influence on him and offer some suggested medical providers?
That's part of the problem! The other people he's met from his part of the world believe the same things that he believes and they delight in exchanging horror stories of American medical incompetence. So they already have most definitely influenced his opinion and made him all the more adamant.

Quote:
But, what type of doctors practice in his home country and how are they different than your local physician base?
Honestly, I would trust the doctors in his home country LESS than I would trust US doctors. I think they are often poorly trained and lacking in even basic scientific knowledge. But alas! He trusts them because they do not charge for their services so he believes that they have nothing to gain from him being sick, etc. and are treating him because they really care and are dedicated to helping people....It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but he is VERY stubborn, so this is where we stand....

#6 of 7 Old 06-24-2007, 10:03 PM

I too am interested in ways to stregnthen/protect the lungs, not because there are any smokers in the family, but because we live in an area of unsafe air to breathe. I think this area leads the nation in asthma suffereres and I'd rather not have any of my kids end up with asthma.

The only herb that I know that has some repair ability in the lungs is Japanese knotweed - found in Source Naturals Resveratrol. When I started with the knotweed I had something going on in a lower lobe of my lung - but don't have the foggiest what it was. (I'm taking the herb for lyme disease, not lung issues)

Anyone else have ideas??
#7 of 7 Old 06-28-2007, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
EVC

Just bumping in case anyone has any advice....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page