Children have high Uranium levels...Help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 06-29-2003, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My two youngest boys (just turned 2 and 3) recently had a fecal heavy metal test done and it turns out they have high Uranium levels (yes, the radioactive Uranium!??) My doctor has not seen this before and does not know how to treat it, if it can be treated. I also had urine heavy metal test and it came back with just a trace of Uranium. This is very puzzling as to where it came from because I have always been with my children and have been exposed to the same environmental conditions. We are searching everywhere to find out where the Uranium came from. We are even considering my husband's tour of duty in Germany during the last Gulf War. He loaded supplies onto the planes. He was in the Air Force for four years. We are getting our water and rice milk tested, and my husband and older son are getting tested also.

The scary thing is, is that I can't find anyone who has had this come up? (except for Gulf War veterans who were actually in Iraq) Has anyone had heavy metal testing done, revealing high Uranium levels? What was the treatment, if any? My kids have had gastrointestinal problems for 1-1/2 years now, although my 3-year-old seems to have pulled out of it now. My little one has "inflammatory markers" indicative of autoimmune disease.

HELP!?
#2 of 36 Old 06-29-2003, 10:50 PM

Environmental sources: Breathing air or drinking water in a place that has higher than background levels of uranium. Eating food grown in areas with higher than background levels of uranium. Working in factories that process uranium or with phosphate fertilizers, or living near any type of mine. Living near a coal-fired power plant.

Dietary sources: Wash hands frequently and before eating, wash fruits and vegetables grown in that soil well, and consider discarding the outside portion of root vegetables.

I couldn't find anything to get rid of specifically uranium. You might consider the anti occident Alpha Lipioc Acid. This is a natural chelator. YOu can buy it in any drugstore. Lower doses would probably be better....

I suggest going over to the Autism/Mercury Board in Yahoo and post a question over there to see what anyone else may know.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Autism-Mercury/messages
#3 of 36 Old 06-29-2003, 11:06 PM

I don't have the answers to your questions, but what came to my mind is Chinese medicine and homeopathics. On the Big Island, where there is an active volcano, people ingest bentonite clay to pull the heavy metals from their system. It is mixed in water, I can't remember the ratio, but it wasnt much even for an adult.
#4 of 36 Old 06-30-2003, 02:43 AM

Unfortunately for me, I know just what you are talking about. I have had my hair tested twice because I was in disbelief. I then got my mom and husband to have their hair tested. I am at the 95 percentile, my mom is around the 99th, and my husband around the 70th. Anyway, we've all got uranium and we've all got it bad. I haven't had my son tested, but I assume he's got it too.

I don't have a treatment plan yet but should have one in the next couple of weeks and will post it. My situation is complicated because I am breastfeeding. One possibility is chelation (oral or IV), another is mega doses of calcium.

We had wondered if I got it inutero from my mom -- Air Force brat in post-war Japan. More and more it seems like there is a more ordinary explanation. It is not uncommon in well water, so it is possible that we have been exposed in our drinking water somewhere along the way.

BTW, uranium can cause depression and sluggishness. It settles in the bones, kidneys, and liver. I don't imagine that your children will have immediate consequences (developmental problems), but it is something that needs to be taken care of. Obviously.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#5 of 36 Old 06-30-2003, 03:29 AM

Maybe a Magnetic Clay bath would help???

I have a box, but haven't used it yet. I'm still nursing (am only) and DH is too spooked... he doesn't want me to use it... though I was eager to just to get a good detox.

Just an idea.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#6 of 36 Old 06-30-2003, 04:48 AM

Thanks for that web site. Seems that all of us might have some metals to pull out of our systems....does the box list the ingredients?
#7 of 36 Old 06-30-2003, 10:51 AM

#8 of 36 Old 06-30-2003, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Gale Force:

I can't believe I found someone who has the same problem??? I have been calling EVERYWHERE and noone seems to be able to help. Where are you looking for treatment? I have contacted the Uranium Medical Research Center (UMRC.net) and they seemed to be the only people who knew what I was talking about. They are non-profit and based out of Canada (their research was not welcome in the US as the military wants to keep their DU weapons). I faxed them our lab results and they confirmed the kids had high levels, but I have had a hard time getting ahold of them since. I want to use their specialized lab in Canada that can test urine and tell you exactly what kind of Uranium they have (natural or from nuclear fission).j

We are in the process of getting our water tested, although it is distilled. I called a water scientist at UW-Madison and he doubted it was in the water. We are also getting our rice milk (Rice Dream) tested as that is the only thing the kids drank that I don't. I guess their water comes from California. If those two things come out negative...then we are looking at my husband's military experience. It's a long shot, though, since he was based in Germany for the whole war. We have to rule it out, though. It's just so strange as I only had trace levels.

As far as banging on the military medical hierarchy's door...I have just a bit. I was told by the Bureau of Veteran's Affairs that "there is no test for that". Strange that an operator would know the answer to testing for Uranium, don't you think? Well, after telling her that there is, because part of our family just had one...she said that they couldn't do it. I kept pressing, and she said to ask my local VA Hospital.

Gale Force...please e-mail me personally (goeben6@aol.com). Hopefully together we can figure something out. I especially want to get the children tested again through UMRC. I just don't think it could be true...especially after I read about leukemia and cancer risks. So scary.
#9 of 36 Old 06-30-2003, 11:30 AM

I have been considering the clay baths from that site as well and I don't think it would be a problem at all to use while bfing. However, my chiropractor doesn't think they would be effective with the uranium since it is pretty tightly lodged in the bones and kidneys. If she's right, the baths could be good for a general detox, but won't help much with the uranium. I may do them anyway.

Whatever detox path you choose, something you can start working on is their digestion. No detox will be effective if you can't eliminate the toxins. They'll just keep floating around in there. This is another area where my case is complicated -- I've got systemic yeast which is fouling up my digestion. I have been working on that and, hopefully, will be working on the uranium soon.

Amanda

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#10 of 36 Old 06-30-2003, 11:35 AM

We cross-posted. I'll email you.

Just for anyone reading and curious, I will be interested to see the water results. I'm from California and once I got tested, my chiropractor started testing some other patients and already has another uranium case. That's another reason I doubt that the uranium comes from my mom's past or my travels in post-Chernobyl Eastern Europe or other theories we have kicked around.

#11 of 36 Old 07-01-2003, 12:19 PM

#12 of 36 Old 07-01-2003, 12:28 PM

I have some relevant news, but I don't have a lot of time. I just sent this news to some other folks and am just going to cut and past it here. I hope you all understand. This is my story, but certainly could shed some light on this thread:

Just as a recap, I’ve got toxic levels of uranium and the big question is how that happened. We had some great theories about how I came into contact with it, but it appears that the explanation is a simple one. Our first step was to get my husband and mom tested. The combination of positive results would help us figure out where we were exposed. Well, we’ve all got it. We didn’t expect that result.

Apparently, it is in the drinking water in much of California. We have a distiller which distils out heavy metals, but I have been known to shower on occasion and eat local produce watered with uranium water, so apparently I have been getting exposed anyway. I didn’t think it would be the water because of our distiller, but since I got tested, my chiropractor has started having her patients get tested and she has 6 so far who have toxic levels of uranium.

The other big question was how I am going to get rid of this, particularly while breastfeeding. My chiropractor has been talking to experts about that question and the answer that all but two gave was very simple: you can’t get rid of it. Apparently, there is no chelating agent that is effective in removing uranium. The uranium settles in your bones in the same slots where calcium should be and the bond is very strong. There are some tests now on mice or rats where they inject them with uranium and then chelate them, but those results are a ways out. Furthermore, injecting uranium and then chelating it out is not the same as having uranium settle in your bones and then trying to remove it. So it is unclear what this research will yield. But these doctors who say that you can’t get rid of it also downplayed the side-effects of uranium toxicity. I assume that they would not downplay the effects of the nuclear waste type of uranium, just the natural occurring stuff in the ground water.

Two doctors said it’s possible to get it out. One of those is Frederick’s chiropractor, who has nearly reached icon status in our household. He said he has treated a couple of people successfully, but my chiropractor stressed to me that he does not have any empirical evidence – he didn’t do a post-treatment hair analysis. My chiropractor is his associate.

To move along to the plan, I’m going to use the protocol of Frederick’s chiropractor and figure that I will either get very healthy and get rid of the uranium or get very healthy and still have high levels of uranium. If the protocol is successful, I could be a little case study in some wildly alternative medical journal.

The plan is actually fairly simple (yet very hard) and will not disrupt breastfeeding at all. I need to stay on the candida diet. My diet is supposed to be high in protein and rich in good fats and I am supposed to take 1000 mg of a certain type of calcium (MCHC). I also need to keep my digestive function in top shape to help eliminate the toxins. My chiropractor stressed the trial nature of it all and seemed to veer me away from it. Of course, I would really like to get rid of the uranium and figure I’ll give it a shot. She was pleased with my decision. As difficult as the diet is, I can imagine that few people have actually followed this protocol for an extended period of time, so it’s really not surprising to me that doctors have not had much success. (The may also have not been successful because the protocol doesn’t work, we’ll see.)

#13 of 36 Old 07-01-2003, 12:47 PM

#14 of 36 Old 07-01-2003, 01:11 PM

From my hair analysis at Doctor's Data Inc:

Quote:
U is a nonessential element that is very abundant in rock, particularly granite. U is present at widely varying levels in ground water, root vegetables, and presnet in high phosphate fertilizers. Other sources of U include: ceramics, some colored glass, many household products (uranyl acetate) and tailings from U mines.

Uranyl cations bind tenaciously to protein, nucleotides, and bone, where it substituts for calcium. Published data are sparse, but there appears to be a correlation between U exposure, nephrotoxicity and all forms of cancer. Kidney and bone are the primary sites of U accumulation.

All isotopes of U are radioactive; U-238 is the most abundant and lowest energy emitter. It is important to note that the measured result, which is U-238, does NOT indicate or imply exposure to highly enriched U-235, which is used in nuclear power and weaponry.

Chronic fatigue is often reported in association with hair U levels > 0.5 ppm (DDI observations). U is rapidly cleared from blood and deposited in tissues
So it's found in nature, in granite in particular. I have heard that mountain areas are more likely to have uranium in the water because of the granite in the Sierra Nevadas. There is a mountain community not far from here where all of the residents truck in their water.

There are some big water bottling companies that are based in California. I wonder what the levels are in the springs they use.

#15 of 36 Old 07-01-2003, 01:44 PM

#16 of 36 Old 07-01-2003, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Clearly there is no safe level of radioactivity since even a single atom can mutate DNA.
We're not talking about enriched uranium here. Everybody has some level of uranium in them. We've all got arsenic as well. Everything has it's place -- arsenic, lead, mercury, uranium, etc. -- they are found in healthy bodies at very low levels. It's all about balance. If our water is contaminated, we're going to end up with a toxic load of that element and that is a problem. But one molecule isn't going to do it.

Our city's water is tested for uranium. We've got the list of published results here. It says that we are below the maximum acceptable limit (whatever is the agreed-upon limit above which health consequences ensue). I would imagine that they need to test a bit more or need to resurrect some of the tests that ended up in the shredder.

#17 of 36 Old 07-01-2003, 03:26 PM

#18 of 36 Old 07-01-2003, 03:42 PM

T Dumb question...how does one get tested for heavy metals?
#19 of 36 Old 02-19-2004, 11:46 PM

I have had a hair analysis test and the Uranium in my body is off the charts. I don't know what this means or anything. Please help!
#20 of 36 Old 02-21-2004, 12:26 AM
acc

I have a son that has autism and a high uranium level 99th percentile. What can I do?
#21 of 36 Old 03-05-2004, 06:51 PM

I’ve been thinking about this thread in the last few weeks since I got a PM from tomboy and have been intending to update it. I got another reminder about it last night and finally decided to sit down and write this up. Some of this may be repetitive, but here it goes:

Some of you may know from my other threads that I had depression for the last two years and the heavy metal testing was part of the search for the answers. I had a hair analysis that showed such high levels of uranium that it threw me into a tailspin. I had another lab confirm the results and (probably because of the depression and my inability to deal with anything in my life) I was sure that the results had far-reaching implications for me. At first I thought I got exposed in Eastern Europe and I figured that Chernobyl, then, would keep me from being able to have another baby (or actually, make it unwise to do so). I was sick that I had exposed my first baby to uranium inutero and didn’t want to do that again.

In all of this emotional turmoil, my chiropractor was asking around about chelating agents. Most of the experts she consulted said that there was no way to chelate the uranium. Two said you could do it (one who is my current chiropractor and who has been Frederick’s chiropractor all along and, actually, he wasn’t one of the “experts,” just a wise man). So then I was faced with the reality of this uranium and no way to get rid of it. It binds itself to your bones and the bond is too strong for any chelating agent that they know of.

I was sure that the uranium was the reason for all of my suffering and I was worried that I would never get rid of it. When I was responding to the OP here, my attitude of “no bad can come of a little bit of uranium,” I think in retrospect I was trying to keep her from going bananas like me. The fact is that had my initial results showed I was in the 10th percentile for uranium, I would have freaked out. Sitting at the 95th now, 10 looks good, but I still wouldn’t recommend it to anyone else.

So here’s what I’ve learned:

You can get rid of it.
I did what Frederick’s chiropractor recommended: I cut out grains and sugars, increased oils, and took 1000 mg of Calcium MCHC daily. In May my levels were .5 mg/g, in late December they were .29 mg/g. My percentile rank went from about 99 to 95, so I am still up there, but my actual levels are down 40%. I have intended to ask my chiropractor about this in more detail but we always seem to have 17 other things to talk about. But I have assumed that rather than chelating per se, as your bones regenerate (and I think I have heard that they regenerate totally every two years or so), your body can flush out the uranium if it’s healthy enough to detox, and fill the slots with the calcium. I could be totally wrong, but that’s kind of what I have assumed has happened.

A lot of people are exposed.
I really did think I was a freak back when I found out, but after talking to my chiropractor about it, I realized how common it is in California. Uranium is found naturally occurring with granite. The Sierra Nevada Mountains in California are filled with granite. Most of California’s drinking water filters through the Sierras. Many of us are exposed to one degree or another. Lots of bottled water comes out of the sierras, so watch all of that “natural spring water.”

There is not an easy policy solution.
I spoke to a man at a party who tests water in our county and he had never heard of uranium being found in the water. Honestly, I am not sure they test for it. That makes me mad, but I am also not sure what we could do if the problem is as widespread as my chiropractor suggests. Once I said to him “but we have a water distiller, I’m not getting exposed now.” He said “you could run the water through a distiller and a couple of more times through a reverse osmosis filter and you won’t get rid of the uranium in the water.” So I’ve wondered what kind of policy solution would actually be viable if the problem is as widespread as my doc claims.

My life will go on.
I decided that if I could have one baby who appears to be in optimum health despite his high levels of uranium (he hasn’t been tested but it doesn’t take a genius to figure it), we could have another. So once I get some digestive problems cleared up, we’ll see about #2. We’re working on our overall health, which will allow our bodies to filter out any toxins, though I do realize that I will probably always have higher than average levels. There isn’t much out there on the long-term, I’ve seen that it’s related to various cancers, so I’ll work on staying healthy and see how things shake out.

I am sure that I have 50 other comments here, but I’ll stop for now since I have worn myself out. Talk to you all later.

#22 of 36 Old 03-05-2004, 06:53 PM

Here's where I had the tests:

www.doctorsdata.com

www.gsdl.com

You need to work with a doctor who uses those labs. If you don't have one, you can contact the labs to find someone in your area.

The hair analyses run $45-50 each.

#23 of 36 Old 03-05-2004, 07:16 PM

GF, thanks for the update and don't let it get you down. I'll bet I have more pesticides and carcinogens in my body than you do. Even if your uranium is relatively high, your other healthy living choices will off-set that so that you'll have net healthiness. We're all a product of our environments and I unfortunately chose a career that exposes me to some nasty stuff. So I try to make up for it in other ways like eating organic, etc. Your mental outlook is so important to your physical health (IMO) so take care of yourself, your whole self.
#24 of 36 Old 03-05-2004, 08:55 PM

Thanks Candide. My improved mental health is allowing me to reflect on all of this a little more and put it in perspective.

#25 of 36 Old 03-06-2004, 02:13 PM

I didn't read the whole forum, but wanted to say that I was tested for some heavy metals, and I was high in lead and mercury, amung other things. My ND prescribed Chlorella, which is a kind of blue-green algae. It is a lot more expensive than spirulina, but it works.

Look into Chlorella......
#26 of 36 Old 03-07-2004, 07:42 PM

I have to echo the chlorella suggestion. It binds to heavy metals and digests them out. Make sure you look into probiotics as well to keep your digestion optimal. Good luck to everyone.....this is sooooo frightening to me. I think I will have dd and dh and I tested to see, we live in a mountainous area in Canada.
#27 of 36 Old 03-11-2004, 02:32 PM

I have to add that I live in Nevada but have been drinking bottle water from california. So maybe this is where I have been exposed. And I mean I drink lots and lots of water. I will find out exactly where the water is bottled in california. My husband was suspicious b/c a while ago a joked that the uranium might be from the bottled water from CA (i joked b/c bottled water is supposed to be so safe a pure) and since then he's switched to buying Fiji water which is bottled out of the country. How bad is it that you can't even trust the water anymore. I have no idea if this is the case or not but I guess we'll find out when my husband does an analysis along with everyone else in my family because my husband drank tons of the water as well but no one else did.

Thanks
#28 of 36 Old 05-28-2005, 03:11 AM

My son has high level of uranium(initial hair test off the chart) and also autistic. We are chelating him with TD-DMPS . We did challenge test and it seems like it is pulling out (Fecal metal test shows that) uranium.
#29 of 36 Old 06-02-2005, 09:49 PM

Please keep us posted on all of this. My daughter also has a high uranium level and we are having a hard time finding any information on this at all. I am very curious about how you all are doing with the various removal methods!
#30 of 36 Old 09-21-2005, 05:05 PM

nap4mom,

The best source of chelation information for kids I have found is the Autism-Mercury Yahoo group.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Autism-Mercury/
The archives are easily searched here: http://onibasu.com/archives/am/date_index_1.html
(there has been some discussion of uranium and other metals in the past)
Website of one of the moderators of the list: http://home.earthlink.net/~moriam/

The resident expert is Andrew Hall Cutler, PhD who wrote www.noamalgam.com
His chelation method is "low and slow", for mercury but also other metals. Often there are held by the body in combination. There are two books he's written, one on hair testing info specifically that discusses each of the 16 metals he recommends testing for.

Re: alpha lipoic acid
This is a VERY strong chelator. It crosses the blood brain barrier. Unless it is given in strict protocol (every 3-4 hours, including overnight) you risk moving released metals back into the brain. More info on list and in Cutler's book.

And re: chlorella, the safety and mechanism and purity of it can be a concern, it is warned about on that list.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page