Canker sores = AIDS ????!!! maybe a dumb question but I'm scared now - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-01-2007, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First I want to say that I have had outbreaks of canker sores since I hit puberty, around 11 years old. Every 6 months since I was 17 years old I get tested for HIV and have always been negative...

With that said, TONIGHT, in searching the net for any holistic healing methods for canker sores that I haven't yet tried ( ) I came across a website that says that frequent or multiple outbreaks of canker sores is often a patient's first indication that they are HIV positive. OMG WTF I'm freaking out!!!

Should I make an appointment to get tested AGAIN (my last one was only about 3 months ago) -- ??! or am I just being a total hypochondriac -- ??????

Somebody tell me something that will make me less scared please.
#2 of 16 Old 07-01-2007, 11:10 AM

If all your tests have been negative and you haven't changed your risk factors (parners, drug use etc) then don't worry. I've heard that vitamin C can help. some people are just more prone to canke sores.
#3 of 16 Old 07-01-2007, 11:16 AM

canker sores does not =HIV/AIDS.
it is a symptom (immune response) but it doesn't mean you have HIV/AIDS.

I used to have them alot. for some reason I don't get them anymore though. wierd.

my old chiro recommended Lysine to me. You may want to check into that.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#4 of 16 Old 07-01-2007, 11:19 AM

Having language problems! Are canker sores the ones inside your mouth (mouth ulcers in english english) or on your lip (cold sores in ee).

Mouth ulcers are I believe related to low vit C levels, and I certainly seem to get them when my diet has been bad.

Cold sores are caused by herpes simplex b virus, and tend to come out when you´re run down.´

I wouldn´t worry about HIV, especially if you´re having tests every 6 months (BTW that seems excessive, do you have an occupational hazard, having too much fun or just worrying too much?).
#5 of 16 Old 07-01-2007, 11:54 AM

I've got canker sores ever since I was about 3 or 4. I just got rid of them late last year. I stopped consuming dairy and voila, they disappeared. I had ice cream a few weeks ago and low and behold, a canker sore popped up the next day.

But no, a canker sore does not mean you have AIDS.
#6 of 16 Old 07-01-2007, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd also second the Lysine. I would totally not worry about AIDS, especially because you have been tested already.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#7 of 16 Old 07-01-2007, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

thanks all
#8 of 16 Old 07-01-2007, 03:50 PM

Yea, I would stop worrying about the HIV/canker sore thing. I'd also look into possibly lysine. Also, if your diet is too sugary and/or acidic, it can make outbreaks of canker sores (and cold sores for that matter) more frequent. Finally, you also might want to look at your toothpaste ... many are very irritating to the mouth and will cause canker sores rather easily. A simple switch there might make them all but disappear. HTH

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#9 of 16 Old 07-01-2007, 03:54 PM

If you have been tested neg, I wouldn't worry a bit. Total hypochondria!!!
#10 of 16 Old 07-01-2007, 03:59 PM

Any stress to your immune system can cause an outbreak. That's why they are called "cold sores"--it's common to have an outbreak as you're coming down with a cold or other bug, as your immune system is taxed fighting off the invading germs. So similarly physical or emotional stress, sleep deprivation, and anything else that takes a toll on your body can bring it on. HIV is definitely one of those, but definitely not the most likely if you have regularly tested negative!
#11 of 16 Old 07-01-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadystar View Post

I wouldn´t worry about HIV, especially if you´re having tests every 6 months (BTW that seems excessive, do you have an occupational hazard, having too much fun or just worrying too much?).
Every 6 months is recommended for people who are sexually active and not monogamous (or not certain that their partner/s are monogamous.)
#12 of 16 Old 07-01-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog View Post
Any stress to your immune system can cause an outbreak. That's why they are called "cold sores"--it's common to have an outbreak as you're coming down with a cold or other bug, as your immune system is taxed fighting off the invading germs. So similarly physical or emotional stress, sleep deprivation, and anything else that takes a toll on your body can bring it on. HIV is definitely one of those, but definitely not the most likely if you have regularly tested negative!
I have had lots of canker sores since I was kid, but never once a cold sore (on the lips). why is that?

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#13 of 16 Old 07-02-2007, 03:26 AM

By canker I assume you mean on your gums? I'm not an expert but my understanding of it is that some people just tend to get them more in some places than in others. When I am under lots of stress without fail I get one in the same three places every time. My brother gets them in his nostrils. Herpes viruses are wild, dude.
#14 of 16 Old 07-02-2007, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

I've never had one on my gums, that I remember, just the insides of my cheeks and lips and tongue. And I've been tested for Herpes more times than I can count and have always been negative.... it was my understanding that herpes causes cold sores anyway, not canker sores - ??
#15 of 16 Old 07-02-2007, 04:59 AM

There are many herpes viruses. The one you're going to get tested for in STD screening isn't usually the one that causes mouth sores. Chicken pox, shingles, mono, and a host of other common diseases are also in the herpes family. What they share in common is they are all viruses that once in your system stay dormant in the cells around your spinal cord and can become active again at any time.
#16 of 16 Old 07-02-2007, 12:19 PM

I really wouldn't worry. I have had canker sores for as long as I can remember... and mostly I get them when I bite my lip (which is actually why I *HATE* biting my lip - its a pretty much garunteed fact that I'm going to be getting at LEAST one canker sore )... so yeah.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page