What should I do? DS & very swollen foot. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-05-2007, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS (20 mos) was playing outside in the dirt on Tues. afternoon. Nothing seemed amiss. However about 3:30 am on the 4th he woke up wimpering & scratching his foot. I got up with him only to notice his foot was terribly swollen There is an obvious bite on his foot that is star shaped, white & raised. My 1st thought was that it was a spider bite. he's had mosquito bites before & they never did this.

Yesterday we tried icing it, which was tough to do. We also wrapped it with gauze soaked in TTO & lavendar. We tried elevating it for a bit as well. He didn't walk on his foot all morning & when he'd tried he dragged it

Now this morning it's still just as swollen as yesterday. The skin is pulled so tight that now it looks slightly discolored (red & very very lightly purple). He'll walk on it but he's terribly unhappy to do so.

I'm trying to figure out what taking him to the Dr. will accomplish? The only thing I can think of is that they'll give him antibiotics for a possible infection & suggest a tetnus shot (not gonna happen). I'm just not sure if I'd be overreacting if I take him or underreacting if I don't. It's only 7am EST here so I have some time. Hopefully the Dr. is around.

Any ideas anyone?

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
#2 of 8 Old 07-05-2007, 09:40 AM

There are all kinds of awful thing to read about on the internet regarding spider bites. Necrosis is not a pretty thing. Children are vulnerable. Unless you're 100% cure what bit your child you should take him to a doctor.
#3 of 8 Old 07-05-2007, 09:50 AM

I agree with AuntLavender if it was a spider he needs treatment. Poor little guy. I hope he is feeling better soon.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 8 Old 07-05-2007, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
I agree with AuntLavender if it was a spider he needs treatment. Poor little guy. I hope he is feeling better soon.

What type of treatment?

#5 of 8 Old 07-05-2007, 04:57 PM

I was just googling your descriptives in your OP and I found many hits like the following:

http://www.aircav.com/survival/asch04/asch04p04.html

"The brown house spider or brown recluse spider is a small, light brown spider identified by a dark brown violin on its back. There is no pain, or so little pain, that usually a victim is not aware of the bite. Within a few hours a painful red area with a mottled cyanotic center appears. Necrosis does not occur in all bites, but usually in 3 to 4 days, a star-shaped, firm area of deep purple discoloration appears at the bite site. The area turns dark and mummified in a week or two. The margins separate and the scab falls off, leaving an open ulcer. Secondary infection and regional swollen lymph glands usually become visible at this stage. The outstanding characteristic of the brown recluse bite is an ulcer that does not heal but persists for weeks or months. In addition to the ulcer, there is often a systemic reaction that is serious and may lead to death. Reactions (fever, chills, joint pain, vomiting, and a generalized rash) occur chiefly in children or debilitated persons."

I don't over use antibiotics; in fact only 2 of my children ever got any and they needed it! Your child's life may depend on it. He may get worse every minute you waver on deciding how long you want to hold out. This could be very serious! It could also be nothing but a child who wimpers and drags his foot need medical attention asap!! (I don't think a tetanus shot is needed in the case of a spider bite only animal bites.)

Go to an urgent care clinic if you can't afford the emergency room! Go today! Please!!!
#6 of 8 Old 07-05-2007, 05:39 PM

This happened to me about two years ago. I was hanging out on the back porch barefoot. A couple hours go by and my foot started to swell. I tried to put on sandals to run to the store and they wouldn't fit. My foot just kept getting bigger and bigger. The man had to carry me to the ED that night because I wouldn't walk on it. I got prophylactic antibiotics and a small dose of steroids for the swelling (both IV). The next morning I woke up and my foot was back to it's normal size.

Go to the ED because urgent care may have the meds stocked for adults but not necessarily for peds.
#7 of 8 Old 07-05-2007, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mamas. Well the ped. didn't think it looked too bad. He just suggested we continue what we've been doing (TTO & ice) & let him know if anything changes. DS is now walking on his foot b/c the swelling has gone down tremendously & it's no longer purple. I'm going to keep monitoring him & if anything changes we'll go to the ER.

Thanks again.!

#8 of 8 Old 07-06-2007, 09:06 AM

It's better to be cautious with small children and bites and not seeing the bite happen so you know what bit him.

I live in Central FL. In our garage we keep a Thule cargo container. We keep it vertically by the air handler. On the inside near the a/c my then 8yo and I saw a spider. We knocked it to the ground and caught it in a jar by sliding cardboard under it. We had caught a brown recluse! We could clearly see the markings! Scary!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page