Remind me why DEET is bad... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
 
thefreckledmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Suburban Midwest
Posts: 2,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm currently in a debate with my MIL as to why DEET is bad, and why I don't want it near my kids. I recall it having to do with something along the lines of causing neurological problems, but I can't remember what the specifics are. She's a nurse, but has been behind a desk for almost 20 years, and her actual medical knowledge is medieval at best. She once applied straight bleach to my husband's severe and open wounded poison ivy. : Anyway, while she (grudgingly) adheres to my direction that they're not to be sprayed/rubbed with anything containing DEET, it's been an ongoing argument, and I'd like to lay down some hard facts and basically end the conversation about it.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

thefreckledmama is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-06-2007, 06:31 PM
 
neptunemama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Look at this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEET
neptunemama is offline  
Old 07-06-2007, 06:52 PM
 
Ruthla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 43,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Basically, it's a poison. It's a poison to insects (which is why they won't bite you if it's on your skin) and it's a poison to humans. Specifically, it's a neruotoxin- it damages nerve and brain cells. It "confuses" insects into thinking you're not food by messing with their neurons- they can't smell or taste you. This same drug, absorbed into a child's body, can damage a growing brain.

Chemicals can be absorbed into the bloodstream through the skin- look at all the new medicines suddenly becoming available in patches. Plus, children are far more likely than adults to ingest things that are intended to be topical. Do you REALLY trust a small child to not scratch her DEET-coated arm, then put her fingers in her mouth?

The safer alternatives are simply strong-smelling oils. They confuse insects' taste and smell sensors by overwhelming them with a different scent and bitter flavor- not by damaging their neurons.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Ruthla is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off