Mothering Forum banner

long lingering pain after leg cramp

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  livinzoo 
#1 ·
I'm feeling pretty weirded out by this. Yesterday morning I woke up and suddenly had a horrible leg cramp when I flexed my foot (I'm 28 wks pg - had this occasionally with my last pg too). The weird thing is that it's now over 24 hrs later and I'm still having pain in that leg. I'm actually limping around. Is this normal? Should I call the dr? It really feels just like muscle pain but part of me is starting to worry that it might be a blood clot.

#2 ·
It is normal to have your leg be sore after that experience into the next day. I had the same thing happen to me on Wed. night, I stretched and my left calf muscle got an intense long lasting cramp, and all day yesterday it was sore. Especially in the morning. I was limping for a little bit too, but then the pain eased up. My calf is still a bit sore today also. I only notice it occasionally, but I was surprised I could still feel a twinge of soreness today. (However I did go for a bike ride yesterday, even though I was sore, which might be why it's still a bit sore today.)

I think my leg cramped that night b/c I was a bit dehydrated and possibly low on salt. Could that be a factor for you? Keep yourself hydrated, massage the muscle w/your hands, and soak in a warm bath (if it's not too hot where you are-crazy heat in so many places that a warm bath could feel awful). I hope your leg feels better soon.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply!

I did end up calling my ob since I have a blood-clotting disorder and I was getting just a bit too nervous. I went in and got checked out and sure enough it was just lingering muscle pain.

I'll take your suggestions - make sure I'm well hydrated (that was probably the problem), and I'm going to put a heating pad on it while I watch a movie. Hopefully it's gone by tomorrow!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.