boosting immune system - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-09-2007, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read a lot about how you should boost the immune system. Can anyone point me to a book or excellent website that explains how to do this?
I am not vaxing and not breastfeeding...although am just starting to relactate it will still be awhile before she is only on breastmilk as I only have a few drops now. She is almost 5 months old and has been on formula almost 4 of those.
Another board suggested I give her sambuco for kids the elderberry formula as a maintenance and then have liquid vit. c if she started to get the sniffles...
I don't know anything about dosages or how to go about treating this way. I want to learn, just need to be pointed to some reliable material.
Also would like to know what to take myself that would boost my immune system.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-09-2007, 06:35 PM

Well, I don't know about sambuco, but I'll tell you what I do. I am a mom of three, ages 5, 3 and 18 months. I nurse the 18 mo quite a bit still. Of course no vaxing, no doctors at all, actually. I do many things, too many to get into, but mainly I follow the traditional foods way of life, take high vitamin cod liver oil and butter oil, etc etc. But I think the biggest and easiest thing I do is drink kombucha. I've been counting, and my kids have had 5 colds now that I have avoided completely. In the past I have gotten almost every cold that they did. Unfortunately, they still get colds, and the only thing that we really do differently is I drink about 16 oz of kombucha a day. My kids will only take a few sips of it. Life will be great when they avoid them too...but then how would we know if I miss a cold? Maybe they've missed 10 and I just don't know it!

Anyway, for what it's worth, there it is. 5 colds and counting, I am pretty happy about that!
#3 of 6 Old 07-09-2007, 10:21 PM

Personally I feel probiotics are imperative to health for everyone. IIRC, 70% of the immune system is in the gut, so if that's out of whack - voila you're sick. I don't have a particular site or book I read but my research on ds's autism directed me toward knowledge of gut health.

We take high-vitamin CLO, probiotic, vit c (Ascorbic acid daily and Sodium Ascorbate when getting sick) and eat a fairly healthy diet including as much raw food and milk as we can get. There are other things we rotate (enzymes and supplements we can't rely on from our food locally) but the first ones are what I consider 'fundamentals' for us.

If we start to get sick we can address it with Sambucol (brand name, but not something I think you're supposed to take long term or daily, though I could be wrong) or any number of herbs, depending on what's going on. I try to do what I can w/o becoming a vitamin medicine cabinet, y'know?

Good luck on the relactating! I also suggest the Traditional Foods forum for more nutritional info. I think if you can start with your diet you get a huge boost all-around.

HTH - Jen
#4 of 6 Old 07-10-2007, 01:02 AM

I also agree with the probiotics - they really do have such good effects (on many systems, too) that I'm really suprised use isn't more widespread. Before I really put thought into these things, I had my girls on Prilosec for reflux and a low dose antibiotic for slowed gut motlity : I wised up and they're off the meds and on probiotics and viola - mush less stains in my carpet!

Just as an aside, I was at my local library last week and there were actually 4 books on the dangers of vaccinations. I was browsing and saw 2 books that were both specifically for helping boost the immune system. I was a little suprised to find that both books touted vaccines as absolutely wonderful things with absolutely no mention of adverse reactions.
#5 of 6 Old 07-10-2007, 09:25 AM

Sorry, not my thread, but can you guys tell me how you get your probitoics? Is it mainly through kefir, or do you take a supplement?
#6 of 6 Old 07-11-2007, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwill129 View Post
Sorry, not my thread, but can you guys tell me how you get your probitoics? Is it mainly through kefir, or do you take a supplement?
Both. I think our powdered brand is Soloray and it's the Superdophilus or equivalent. It doesn't blend really well in liquid so I mix it in with the Kefir (I haven't made my own yet, I buy it from the hfs) over fruit.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page