23 month old - this goes beyond constipation - please advise - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 07-14-2007, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel J. View Post
There's a product called FruitEze that seems to be really helpful in alleviating constipation. It's basically just prunes, raisins and dates pureed reallly well (very popular in the "constipated kids" groups ) You can find it online. I tried making my own, not very smooth but I use it like a jam on sandwiches, when ds1 will eat it. I also use the Fleet liquid glycerin suppositories with ds2 when needed, soo much easier than the glycerin "sticks."
Can you share your recipe? This sounds good and I might be able to get him to eat it.

Yes, I want to do the liquid glycerin as well. I HATE using the sticks when we do use them. Ugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
There is a sweet fizzing drink like Emergen-C that is sweetened with Stevia -- it's by Trace Minerals and it's called Electrolyte Stamina. It does have fructose in it too, but less. mama
Thanks! I'll look for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 48 Old 07-15-2007, 11:11 PM

Actually, I think you need to cut down on the SA and other acids, not up them. Sounds to me like too many acidic foods/drinks. That would account for his teeth -- acid eats away the enamel. Too much acid causes all kinds of digestive problems. As for being "listless" -- to me that is a red flag and I would not wait to find the "perfect" naturopath. Make it your priority. I know you believe in LOA -- use it!
#33 of 48 Old 07-15-2007, 11:41 PM

I haven't read all of the replies, but have you heard of encopresis? My oldest has had problems with it, and I htink it's something you should definitely look into with his symptoms. Basically, they get so constipated, that their poop forms a "plug." They may start having runnier poop, sometimes soiling their underwear frequently. You might think this is a sign that the constipation is resolved, but actually, they are pooping AROUND the impaction. Not a good thing. Good luck. I hope you can find something that works. There was a thread about alternatives to Miralax (the most common prescription answer to this) in the Special Needs forum a few days ago.
#34 of 48 Old 07-17-2007, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandkindness View Post
Actually, I think you need to cut down on the SA and other acids, not up them. Sounds to me like too many acidic foods/drinks. That would account for his teeth -- acid eats away the enamel. Too much acid causes all kinds of digestive problems. As for being "listless" -- to me that is a red flag and I would not wait to find the "perfect" naturopath. Make it your priority. I know you believe in LOA -- use it!
I need some clarification on this, if you don't mind.

What sounds like too many acidic foods? That I'm trying to get SA into him? I don't think I mentioned what he generally eats other then that broth, and that isn't acidic. He only drinks water, breastmilk and herbal tea. And this started when he started solids - the decay and the constipation. Then we were feeding him pretty mild stuff like sweet potato and avacado.

When you say make it my priority and don't look for a naturopath, what do you mean? Does it somehow sound like I am not taking action here? I'm thinking that seeking out the help of a naturopath Is making it my priority, so this statement is unclear to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
I haven't read all of the replies, but have you heard of encopresis? My oldest has had problems with it, and I htink it's something you should definitely look into with his symptoms. Basically, they get so constipated, that their poop forms a "plug." They may start having runnier poop, sometimes soiling their underwear frequently. You might think this is a sign that the constipation is resolved, but actually, they are pooping AROUND the impaction. Not a good thing. Good luck. I hope you can find something that works. There was a thread about alternatives to Miralax (the most common prescription answer to this) in the Special Needs forum a few days ago.
I've researched encopresis, yes - way back when this started. The thing is, it never leaks out. He just holds it until he cannot possibly anymore, then will have a BIG poop, generally rather hard on the end that comes out first. And we definitely know when it's coming - he has a particular face and way about him - and he will respond affirmatively when we ask if he needs to poop. It sort of makes me wonder if the nerves in his bowel just aren't letting him know he needs to poop until he is so full he is nearly bursting? Maybe not literally, but...

Sorry it takes me days each time to respond to the thread I started myself - I generally don;t get very much two-handed typing time, and I definitely need two hands to address this properly. I SO appreciate everyone's contributions and thoughts and suggestions here. Brainstorming is good! And two heads are better than one
#35 of 48 Old 07-17-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn View Post
It sort of makes me wonder if the nerves in his bowel just aren't letting him know he needs to poop until he is so full he is nearly bursting? Maybe not literally, but...
That was my understanding of what encopresis is/does. That's why I decided to get my DD pooping regularly, even if by artifical means, for a while until the colon and nerves can get back in shape and do their jobs.

I have been doing the liquid glycerin every other day, and getting results. But she still is holding it in as much as she can. She did go without the glycerin on Saturday night after going with it on Friday, and we were so excited!! We couldn't believe it!

But then last night (Monday) I gave her the glycerin again, and she had a little bit of formed poop, but held the rest back with all her might. Some liquid was released by way of the glycerin, but I think she withheld the majority of the solid stool. So, I feel like we're back at square one.

#36 of 48 Old 07-17-2007, 10:40 PM

[QUOTE=chasmyn;8658024]What sounds like too many acidic foods? That I'm trying to get SA into him?

When you say make it my priority and don't look for a naturopath, what do you mean? Does it somehow sound like I am not taking action here? I'm thinking that seeking out the help of a naturopath Is making it my priority, so this statement is unclear to me. ""

As far as acidic foods -- you had mentioned Vitamin C and fermented foods. Also, many supplements are acidic.

When I said "make it your priority" I didn't mean don't look for a naturopath. I meant show up on one's doorstep and beg for help. I am reacting to the fact that you first posted about this July 9th. If my child was listless, I would make it a priority to get professional help as quickly as possible. However, you know your child best, so please understand that I am not judging you -- just sharing my opinion and gut feeling on this matter.
#37 of 48 Old 07-18-2007, 03:01 AM

How is your son? Is he feeling more active? Listlessness subsiding? Poops getting better? Have you tried any of those supplements, and are they working? Did you find a naturopath?

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#38 of 48 Old 07-18-2007, 03:41 AM

chasmyn, have you tried NAET? i took my 2 year old dd with multiple food allergies, and discovered that she had allergies to foods i would have never suspected - like salt, and basic vitamins like B-complex. all these major allergies prevented her from absorbing nutrients from all the incredibly nutritious foods i was giving her everyday.

after we desensitized her to these basic allergens, she was able to tolerate some of the other foods better. it also decreased her eczema, although we are still working on that.

going to an NAET initial appointment should set you back about $100-150 but you will find out on the spot all the things she is allergic to. even if you never come back for desensitization at least you will know definitively what foods to avoid.

good luck to you. i'm so sorry for what your little guy is going through.
#39 of 48 Old 07-18-2007, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
That was my understanding of what encopresis is/does. That's why I decided to get my DD pooping regularly, even if by artifical means, for a while until the colon and nerves can get back in shape and do their jobs.

I have been doing the liquid glycerin every other day, and getting results. But she still is holding it in as much as she can. She did go without the glycerin on Saturday night after going with it on Friday, and we were so excited!! We couldn't believe it!

But then last night (Monday) I gave her the glycerin again, and she had a little bit of formed poop, but held the rest back with all her might. Some liquid was released by way of the glycerin, but I think she withheld the majority of the solid stool. So, I feel like we're back at square one.

I wonder if the glycerine burns? I read somewhere that it can, I wonder if that might be part of it? It's so difficult when they're young and pre-verbal, isn't it? Because they cannot just tell you...It can be so frustrating guessing all of the time.
#40 of 48 Old 07-18-2007, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandkindness View Post
As far as acidic foods -- you had mentioned Vitamin C and fermented foods. Also, many supplements are acidic.
Ah, okay then. Yes, this is where I've been unclear (I tend to do that, forgetting that I really have to tell everything because no, people don't just know...). except for beets on occasion, he really doesn't eat fermented foods. *I* eat them and he gets my breastmilk. Same with extra SA, magnesium, CLO, high vitamin butter oil, all of the supplements. I've TRIED to get him to take the stuff himself, but mostly it doesn't happen, so what he is getting now of these things in particular is through my breastmilk. He does eat the bone broths, the carrots, LOTS of fruit, grass fed meats like chicken and buffalo, some rice crackers occasionally, sushi sometimes...things like these. I don't think his diet is too acidic, which is why I asked you to clarify, so that I could as well. I hope this is more clear. And maybe there is something I'm not seeing about what I'm feeding him, so I welcome input here, I hope it doesn't seem like I'm resisting it.

Quote:
When I said "make it your priority" I didn't mean don't look for a naturopath. I meant show up on one's doorstep and beg for help.
Funny you should say that, as that is sort of what I've done. We live in a co-housing community and my neighbour just happens to be a naturopath. I asked her over to talk a bit about it and am going to see her in her clinic.

Quote:
I am reacting to the fact that you first posted about this July 9th. If my child was listless, I would make it a priority to get professional help as quickly as possible. However, you know your child best, so please understand that I am not judging you -- just sharing my opinion and gut feeling on this matter.
Yes, and I forgot to post that he had pooped :And on his own - we were thisclose to giving him a suppository and he did it. IT wasn't fun, it was harder and painful for him as it had been in the past - but holy moly were we ever glad he did. We do start to get a bit freaked around about day 5 when it goes that long.

And once he did go, he improved and has been himself again. Thank goodness. And thank you so much for being that concerned, too

I do have an ongoing concern that he is not eliminating everything he is taking in, and that there can be toxic buildup, and this is definitely something I am looking at with the naturopath and via research, including this thread. My goal is to balance his gut flora so that he DOES have normal bowel function, and to get all of that extra stuff out that I've got a feeling is still in there.

And yes, LOA...Life moves easily and freely, right?
#41 of 48 Old 07-18-2007, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by izobelle View Post
How is your son? Is he feeling more active? Listlessness subsiding? Poops getting better? Have you tried any of those supplements, and are they working? Did you find a naturopath?
Feeling much better - thank you so much for asking

Poops...I do hope so. One of the things my neighbour/our naturopath suggested is putting him on his potty (he is used to using the potty so this isn't weird for him at all) for about 15-20 minutes every day, just as though we were expecting a poop, and reading to him like we do when he Is actually pooping. She says that mentally this can get him used to doing this every day and might help him to release the poop more easily. I think it is a great idea and am definitely doing it.

And why I didn't think before the other day to ask my neighbour the naturopath to help us with this is beyond me. I just have no idea. But nwo we're working together and she is going to do some food sensitivity testing for us both (I think, or at least for him) and see if that won't help things a bit.
#42 of 48 Old 07-18-2007, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocita View Post
chasmyn, have you tried NAET? i took my 2 year old dd with multiple food allergies, and discovered that she had allergies to foods i would have never suspected - like salt, and basic vitamins like B-complex. all these major allergies prevented her from absorbing nutrients from all the incredibly nutritious foods i was giving her everyday.
!!!

SALT?!? B-complex?!? Really? Holy wow! And yes, that is my exact concern, his not properly absorbing nutrients and becoming deficient and/or toxic.

I actually don't remember the kind of testing we are going to do, but I will ask about NAET specifically.

Quote:
going to an NAET initial appointment should set you back about $100-150 but you will find out on the spot all the things she is allergic to. even if you never come back for desensitization at least you will know definitively what foods to avoid.
I've learned that it is worth it, for my son's health. And it is possible that supplemental insurance will cover it, or at least part of it.

Quote:
good luck to you. i'm so sorry for what your little guy is going through.
Thank you so much
#43 of 48 Old 07-18-2007, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

izobelle - I forgot to mention, I'm an expat too! We're in Canada from the US
#44 of 48 Old 07-22-2007, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn View Post
Yes, and I definitely have been, as much as possible. I give him SA daily in his green smoothie.
This strikes me!! I am very sensitive to oxalates as is my ds and this smoothie you describe would be VERY high oxalate. Dark green leafy veggies are high oxalate and excess vit c turns to oxalate in the body. Does your DS bruise easily? Does he have any eye pain/twitching/rubbing? I think you said he has eczema, is it itchy? An oxalate problem can be hard to pinpoint, but worth checking out the info at the Yahoo group Trying_Low_Oxalates. There are lists in the 'files' section that list oxalate values for foods. Does anyone in your family have kidney stones?

I am not around HTG tribe very often but feel free to PM me. DS and I have been on a low oxalate diet for 2 months now and have seen some huge changes. I have tried SCD, Failsafe and now low oxalate. He has bad eczema and had bad digestion. Since being on this new diet he only has a little bit of undigested food in his stool. His attitude change is what is really significant. He went from being cranky, crying all the time clinging to me ALL the time to being a happy and energetic, fun toddler. His language and comprehension exploded, it was as if he was at a standstill for a few months. HIs eczema is better but is not gone.

We create our own reality.
#45 of 48 Old 07-22-2007, 02:20 AM

I also wanted to add that we are seeing a BioSET practitioner (it is similar to NAET). She has been right on with the supplements for DS. Thought I would share that we use minerals in ionic water form. This form doesn't depend on digestion and is easily absorbed by the body. The one's I take taste like plain water to me-which according to my BioSET dr means I need them.
http://www.kornax.com/Angstrom_Minerals.htm

Also Quantum makes a really good B-complex liquid:
http://www.healthproductsusa.net/30_...s_b_health.htm

Yellow split peas with ghee is one of my favorite comfort foods. There are TONS of good minerals and vitamins in them and they are easy to digest. I like to mix DS's vitamins/minerals into the peas, he doesn't mind the small difference in taste. Are you using digestive enzymes with every meal? V-gest by Enzymedica is a good starter enzyme.

HTH.
Beth

#46 of 48 Old 07-22-2007, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
This strikes me!! I am very sensitive to oxalates as is my ds and this smoothie you describe would be VERY high oxalate. Dark green leafy veggies are high oxalate and excess vit c turns to oxalate in the body. Does your DS bruise easily? Does he have any eye pain/twitching/rubbing? I think you said he has eczema, is it itchy? An oxalate problem can be hard to pinpoint, but worth checking out the info at the Yahoo group Trying_Low_Oxalates. There are lists in the 'files' section that list oxalate values for foods. Does anyone in your family have kidney stones?

I am not around HTG tribe very often but feel free to PM me. DS and I have been on a low oxalate diet for 2 months now and have seen some huge changes. I have tried SCD, Failsafe and now low oxalate. He has bad eczema and had bad digestion. Since being on this new diet he only has a little bit of undigested food in his stool. His attitude change is what is really significant. He went from being cranky, crying all the time clinging to me ALL the time to being a happy and energetic, fun toddler. His language and comprehension exploded, it was as if he was at a standstill for a few months. HIs eczema is better but is not gone.
Nolansmum -

Oh wow, how do we figure out if we/he are sensitive to oxalates?

It's difficult to know if he bruises easily, to be honest. He's a boy and a toddler so is covered in bruises on his legs, but...he's a boy and a toddler

He rubs his eyes when he is tired, but not really at other times that I've noticed.

He doesn't seem to be itchy even when he has bug bites, so I've no idea if he is itchy.

I joined the group so I can look into it, thanks. Awaiting authorization

No one has kidney stones that I know of.

Quote:
I also wanted to add that we are seeing a BioSET practitioner (it is similar to NAET). She has been right on with the supplements for DS. Thought I would share that we use minerals in ionic water form. This form doesn't depend on digestion and is easily absorbed by the body. The one's I take taste like plain water to me-which according to my BioSET dr means I need them.
http://www.kornax.com/Angstrom_Minerals.htm

Also Quantum makes a really good B-complex liquid:
http://www.healthproductsusa.net/30_...s_b_health.htm

Yellow split peas with ghee is one of my favorite comfort foods. There are TONS of good minerals and vitamins in them and they are easy to digest. I like to mix DS's vitamins/minerals into the peas, he doesn't mind the small difference in taste. Are you using digestive enzymes with every meal? V-gest by Enzymedica is a good starter enzyme.

HTH.
Beth
I looked up BIOset and there is a practitioner in Vancouver, so not too terribly far away.

I haven't been using enzymes in awhile, but I restarted today. Good idea!
#47 of 48 Old 07-23-2007, 06:11 PM

Chasmyn,
I suggest looking around the files section of the Low oxalate group. There is a lot of info on old posts, type in symptoms (physical or behavioral) and do some searches. It took me awhile poking around to find what I needed. When you see the lists of foods and their oxalate levels you may see a lot of foods your DS is sensitive to, or you may not. When I saw that buckwheat, quinoa, millet were all high oxalate it clicked with me-we had been GF and each time we tried those grains DS had a bad reaction (mostly rashes).

There really is no definitive answer as to whether your son is sensitive to oxalates. There are some urine tests (Great Plains OAT?) that will show oxalate values in urine. When we first went on the diet DS suddenly got a huge appetite. He would wake up at 10 pm(he was already sleeping through the night at this point and didn't normally BF at this time), nurse me dry and then when he still wasn't satisfied he would chow down another meal of solids!

Good luck!
Beth

#48 of 48 Old 07-30-2007, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Chasmyn,
I suggest looking around the files section of the Low oxalate group. There is a lot of info on old posts, type in symptoms (physical or behavioral) and do some searches. It took me awhile poking around to find what I needed. When you see the lists of foods and their oxalate levels you may see a lot of foods your DS is sensitive to, or you may not. When I saw that buckwheat, quinoa, millet were all high oxalate it clicked with me-we had been GF and each time we tried those grains DS had a bad reaction (mostly rashes).

There really is no definitive answer as to whether your son is sensitive to oxalates. There are some urine tests (Great Plains OAT?) that will show oxalate values in urine. When we first went on the diet DS suddenly got a huge appetite. He would wake up at 10 pm(he was already sleeping through the night at this point and didn't normally BF at this time), nurse me dry and then when he still wasn't satisfied he would chow down another meal of solids!

Good luck!
Beth
I think you might have hit on something here with us. I have suddenly noticed lots of eye rubbing lately, so I am spending time poking around in the files and reading some of the group emails. Maybe...

I've been getting lots of blueberries into him and some high vitamin butter oil lately, plus myself drinking lots of probiotics in my green smoothie, and he has been pooping every other day for the past week, which for him is spectacular. I've no idea which of those things is affecting it, but I am hopeful that it will continue this way and keep improving - I am so delighted!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page