23 month old - this goes beyond constipation - please advise - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-09-2007, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used to frequent the healing the Gut Tribe, so many of you might know me, but I've not been here in months since we moved to Canada, and have been busy....but I need help!

DS is 23 months old now, and of course still BF. Since we introduced solid food to him, he has not had regular poops - he has gone as many as 9 days without pooping, and currently goes about every 3-5 days.

We are gluten and dairy-free, as he gets eczema, and we know this is the best way to combat it - and it worked. We eat a mostly NT diet (left SCD awhile ago) now,. with bone broths, fermented foods, and even high vitamin butter oil (and of course CLO and Vit C).

Also since 6 months, his four top front teeth began to decay - or better, the enamel began to crumble, and eventually almost all crumbled off but a small bit on the top front two. We were just handling it via brushing and diet, but I did feel he was in a bit of pain from the soft dentin, so I was trying to have it looked at. We looked into ozone treatment, but the dentist said his teeth were too far gone, he recommended to just keep doing what we were doing. Then one of the teeth broke, and the ped dentist (traditional) said pull them. Because of him already being in pain and the other tooth having an exposed nerve, we did. His teeth seem fine since.

Also? recently - the past week or so - sleeping has become: waking every hour or so (or less) to nurse, ALL NIGHT LONG, and lots of tossing and turning. Sometimes I think it is because he hasn't pooped in a few days, but then he does poop, and he still does this. (My gut says magnesium deficiency here, but I've yet to find a way to actually get him to take it. I know, get aggressive, this is important....) So he's not sleeping properly, and I'm not sleeping properly because of course we sleep together...

Also in the past week or so, he has become very...listless? Not entirely, but he will lie on the floor and play with his cars or trains, and be very quiet about it. Our first son, Quinn, did this, but he had a heart defect and was very tired all of the time - I've not ever seen any other kid do this. Normally I wouldn't think anything of it I don't think, but combined with everything else, I'm worried. He is also very sensitive in general - always has been, I definitely classify him as a highly sensitive child. He definitely likes more gentle and predictable play, and groups of people make him nervous - he always stays close.

I think that's - oh no! Not everything!

his last two poops! Undigested food. The food he'd eaten the day before - one, chunks of cashews. This one - he had chicken soup (homemade) yesterday, with carros. he eats the carrots and drinks the broth. His poop was this dark orangey coppery colour, and not hard, either, but not runny. And it was in oil. Like the oil in the broth of the soup.

I'm worried, but I have no idea what to do. I know there is something amiss here - after all, he poops only every 3-5 days, which means he is how many poops behind??? And when he does poop, I know it is not enough to make up for the lack in between. There must be stuff stuck in his colon. But I've no idea how to safely get it out. He's 23 months old, so it's not like I can do the saltwater and juice fast with him, you know?

Do you have any ideas for me? Should I post this to the HTG thread?

thank you so much.

Chasmyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2007, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn View Post
Also? recently - the past week or so - sleeping has become: waking every hour or so (or less) to nurse, ALL NIGHT LONG, and lots of tossing and turning. Sometimes I think it is because he hasn't pooped in a few days, but then he does poop, and he still does this. (My gut says magnesium deficiency here, but I've yet to find a way to actually get him to take it. I know, get aggressive, this is important....) So he's not sleeping properly, and I'm not sleeping properly because of course we sleep together...

I'm worried, but I have no idea what to do. I know there is something amiss here - after all, he poops only every 3-5 days, which means he is how many poops behind??? And when he does poop, I know it is not enough to make up for the lack in between. There must be stuff stuck in his colon. But I've no idea how to safely get it out. He's 23 months old, so it's not like I can do the saltwater and juice fast with him, you know?
I'm sorry I don't have any good info for you on the other stuff. It sounds really tough. All I can say is that I have noticed the above with my DD when she is constipated. (You posted on my thread.) She was very backed up, and probably has been for a while. It is hard to imagine how much stuff they may have in their bellies. I did start to notice when hers seemed a little hard. Does your DS's feel hard?

As you know, my strategy was to get her cleaned out and on a good pooping schedule (with glycerin suppositories), along with treating the cause and helping her go on her own. Someone here suggested salt water baths. I don't think drinking saltwater is bad. DD loves sodium ascorbate, and that is very salty...?

As for magnesium, DD likes the Floradix I got, so I will keep working on that. I really don't know anything about magnesium deficiency, except I heard it can be a cause. Hopefully someone else here can tell us more. I still haven't gotten good about the CLO. I will check back later...

Leila

Old 07-10-2007, 12:31 AM

Mama, I would listen to your gut about the magnesium. Start slowly and then gradually work your way up until his bowels get comfortably loose, then back up the dose a bit. Liquid or powder, both would be good. Also, a good probiotic and an essential fatty acid ie fish oil or hemp oil. HTH
Old 07-10-2007, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
I'm sorry I don't have any good info for you on the other stuff. It sounds really tough. All I can say is that I have noticed the above with my DD when she is constipated. (You posted on my thread.) She was very backed up, and probably has been for a while. It is hard to imagine how much stuff they may have in their bellies. I did start to notice when hers seemed a little hard. Does your DS's feel hard?

As you know, my strategy was to get her cleaned out and on a good pooping schedule (with glycerin suppositories), along with treating the cause and helping her go on her own. Someone here suggested salt water baths. I don't think drinking saltwater is bad. DD loves sodium ascorbate, and that is very salty...?

As for magnesium, DD likes the Floradix I got, so I will keep working on that. I really don't know anything about magnesium deficiency, except I heard it can be a cause. Hopefully someone else here can tell us more. I still haven't gotten good about the CLO. I will check back later...

Leila
his belly does feel firm, but he is also slenderish, so it is difficult for me to know if this is because his colon is full (I am sure it is) or if it is because it is normal. It's been so long it is hard for me to say anymore.

Salt water does really well at cleaning a person out - there is a fast you might have heard of where a person drinks a homemade maple syrup and cayenne lemonade drink? The first thing they do on that fast is drink 32 oz of salt water to clear out the bowels - this is VERY effective. And getting a 23 month old to drink it? That's another story altogether. :

Magnesium is salty as is SA - I put the SA in a smoothie and he drinks part of it - I could also try this with the Magnesium but I've no idea if he'd get enough of it. Of course it's better than NOt doing it at all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmyn's Mum View Post
Mama, I would listen to your gut about the magnesium. Start slowly and then gradually work your way up until his bowels get comfortably loose, then back up the dose a bit. Liquid or powder, both would be good. Also, a good probiotic and an essential fatty acid ie fish oil or hemp oil. HTH
definitely trying to do this....
Old 07-10-2007, 05:39 AM

massage can help stimulate the bowels as well.

Carlin likes his 'I love you' tummy rubs. on his left side, start at his ribs and stroke straight down to the pelvis, repeat a the 'I' move a couple times. Next start on his right side by the ribs and stroke across his stomach then down to his pelvis, repeat the 'L' move a couple times. Next start on his right hip, straight up to his ribs, across the stomach and straight down to his left hip, repeat the 'U' stroke a couple times. start with a really light touch and work up to a nice firm stroke. these strokes will help 'open' the valves and get things moving.

he also likes his feet rubbed. I massage each toe and draw loops with my thumb in the arch of his foot. after a couple minutes on his feet, it's potty time.

another trick is to lay him on his back, bend his knees to his chest and lightly 'squish' his legs around in a clockwise motion.

Carlin's record is 11 days, and he ended up in CCU for 3 days due to high fever, seizures and dehydration. I'm trying to keep his average at 3 days, with a max under 5 days.

love and light,
Bryanna
Old 07-10-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryannastreasure View Post
massage can help stimulate the bowels as well.

Carlin likes his 'I love you' tummy rubs. on his left side, start at his ribs and stroke straight down to the pelvis, repeat a the 'I' move a couple times. Next start on his right side by the ribs and stroke across his stomach then down to his pelvis, repeat the 'L' move a couple times. Next start on his right hip, straight up to his ribs, across the stomach and straight down to his left hip, repeat the 'U' stroke a couple times. start with a really light touch and work up to a nice firm stroke. these strokes will help 'open' the valves and get things moving.
I just saw this in the Baby Book yesterday. Do you use oil? Otherwise it seems like it would hurt their skin to rub like this. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:12 PM

Infrequent bm's is not constipation unless they are hard. If he is getting mainly bm not going every day is normal. Too many carrots will turn the poop orange, it will also turn the skin orange. The oil could be from getting too much or not enough solids since he ate the carrots & broth. Nuts are pretty hard so if he didn't chew them up good they may come out in chunks. Mushrooms & corn come out looking undigested too.

For sleeping, have you tried putting him in his own bed(in your room if you wish) to see if he sleeps better there? If he isn't sleeping good it can affect digestion.

Quote:
Also in the past week or so, he has become very...listless? Not entirely, but he will lie on the floor and play with his cars or trains, and be very quiet about it. Our first son, Quinn, did this, but he had a heart defect and was very tired all of the time - I've not ever seen any other kid do this. Normally I wouldn't think anything of it I don't think, but combined with everything else, I'm worried. He is also very sensitive in general - always has been, I definitely classify him as a highly sensitive child. He definitely likes more gentle and predictable play, and groups of people make him nervous - he always stays close.
this is not being listless, he is immersed in his play & perfectly normal especially with kids who have SID tendancies. My now 5yo would sit for an hour & play with polly pockets before she was 2. She would sit & make herself dot to dots for 30minutes or more. It is a decompression that they do in order to deal with being overstimulated. She's 5 now & does it rarely.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I just saw this in the Baby Book yesterday. Do you use oil? Otherwise it seems like it would hurt their skin to rub like this. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Sure, you could use oil, but I never have the braincells to get anything together and if I got up to get some, perhaps the snuggle mood would be gone. I start really gentle, like petting a kitten.
best wishes.
bryanna
Old 07-10-2007, 07:56 PM

My three yo ds takes Ionic Fizz (mag. citrate powder plus other minerals/vitamins). It's raspberry-lemon flavored and slightly fizzy, sweetened with stevia, just like Natural Calm. It's a bit expensive but worth it to know that ds will take it. I put it in his prune juice with Benefiber, although it's wheat based so you might want to avoid that fiber source, aloe vera, SA and a little spirulina. Dh calls it my voodoo juice Ds is incredibly picky (but likes this juice), in part, I think because he was so constipated most of his life and never really had an appetite so we let him eat mostly what he wanted, just to get some food in him. We didn't realize he was just backing up, so to speak. He ended up in the ER because of stomach pain and was put on Miralax. I never felt good about the Miralax and even worse when I did more research into it so I was eager to get him off of it. This works for us and keeps him pooping daily (from little hard pellets 1-3xs weekly).
Old 07-10-2007, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
Infrequent bm's is not constipation unless they are hard. If he is getting mainly bm not going every day is normal.
I apologise for not being clear - this LAST one wasn't hard, but generally they are hard. He does Bf, but is not exclusively or even mostly BF - he eats when we do. Not a lot of food, but he does eat, and he is definitely taking in more than he is putting out.

In the reading I've done I believe that is is not normal not to have a BM every day. I have done a lot of reading on the subject and it all points to a healthy bowel moving at LEASt once a day, optimally 2-3.

My research and my gut tell me something is amiss, especially since when he WAS EBF, he had regular bowel movements. It was only after we began solids, and quite slowly at that, that this began to happen.

Quote:
Too many carrots will turn the poop orange, it will also turn the skin orange. The oil could be from getting too much or not enough solids since he ate the carrots & broth. Nuts are pretty hard so if he didn't chew them up good they may come out in chunks.
He ate the soup, but it wasn't a lot of soup, and total he might have had about half or 3/4 of one carrot. That's not very much.

The nuts were cashews, those don;t tend to be very hard. And when they did come out, it was only a few hours after he'd eaten them - way too fast to have passed through his digestive system.

Quote:
For sleeping, have you tried putting him in his own bed(in your room if you wish) to see if he sleeps better there? If he isn't sleeping good it can affect digestion.
Unfortunately our room isn't large enough to do this - our bed pretty much takes up the whole room, so putting him somewhere else isn't really an option.

Quote:
this is not being listless, he is immersed in his play & perfectly normal especially with kids who have SID tendancies. My now 5yo would sit for an hour & play with polly pockets before she was 2. She would sit & make herself dot to dots for 30minutes or more. It is a decompression that they do in order to deal with being overstimulated. She's 5 now & does it rarely.
I understand where you're coming from here, but I know my son, and this isn't something he normally does. It's only recently that he has started doing this, and my gut is saying to pay attention to it. I've read a book on SID and I don't think Kiernen has this, but it has been several years since I've read it, it wouldn't hurt to reread it I'm sure.

The thing is he does it at random times - not just after being overstimulated, just randomly - when we've been by ourselves all day, for example. No weird stuff happening, nothing to upset him - he'll just lie down and play. He's been doing it more and more, too.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Rachael, do you mean the benefiber is wheat based, or the Ionic fizz? I'll look into that - oh1 It just occurred to me that I could mix the Baby Calm with some Emergen-C, although I prefer the idea of it being sweetened with Stevia to fructose, which is what I think Emergen-C is sweetened with.

Maybe I can come up with my own concoction, too, with juice or something...

Also I read on another thread (Leila's) about liquid glycerin suppositories, and I like that idea. because I'm in Canada I cannot get the ones she pointed to, but I DO have some glycerin, and I am checking with home health suppliers about getting the child rectal applicators - I think we could easily make them ourselves that way, and SO much less traumatic than the hard ones.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:28 AM

Is there any particular reason that you would not be willing to see a doctor?

I read Quinn's story and I can understand that the hospital must be a very painful place but perhaps you could go to a ped at a clinic?

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 07-11-2007, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by izobelle View Post
Is there any particular reason that you would not be willing to see a doctor?

I read Quinn's story and I can understand that the hospital must be a very painful place but perhaps you could go to a ped at a clinic?
It depends on the kind of doctor. I am currently looking for a naturopath or other holistic type of doctor who will look at food sensitivities and ways to heal his gut. We've only just moved here, to Canada, from the US, 4 months ago, so I'm still trying to navigate finding such an entity.

As for a regular ped - no, because they will only say the very same, "It's normal, he is fine, etc." Plus the waiting list here for any good ped is months.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:14 AM

I see. Maybe a regular pediatrician would say that, but maybe they wouldn't. You mentioned that you only moved to Canada four months ago- perhaps you will find the Canadian doctors a bit different?

I am only suggesting this because you yourself sounded very concerned, and peds (holistic or otherwise) have the benefit of having lots of children that they see every day, and therefore can give a really different perspective.

Listlessness, teeth problems, and other issues can have to do with the stomach, but they can also be related to other issues, like the liver, kidneys, and so on.

You could always get on the list so that the pediatrician will be there when you need him or her, as well, and carry on otherwise. It couldn't hurt, could it?

I really feel for you. Good luck, mama.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 07-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Banned

chasmyn, I haven't read through the entire thread but my very strong advice would be to get medical attention for your child. Do you have a pediatrician or a D.O.? There could be something minor but maybe not and it won't do your son any good to guess. Please do not attempt to treat your son with laxatives or supplements until he is examined. Take care.

SM
Old 07-11-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I apologise for not being clear - this LAST one wasn't hard, but generally they are hard. He does Bf, but is not exclusively or even mostly BF - he eats when we do. Not a lot of food, but he does eat, and he is definitely taking in more than he is putting out.

In the reading I've done I believe that is is not normal not to have a BM every day. I have done a lot of reading on the subject and it all points to a healthy bowel moving at LEASt once a day, optimally 2-3.

My research and my gut tell me something is amiss, especially since when he WAS EBF, he had regular bowel movements. It was only after we began solids, and quite slowly at that, that this began to happen.
Just wanted to let you know I am in the same boat and feel the same way about her needing to go more often. I am a little upset about people insisting that it is normal for BF babies to go so long between poops. I think that she went down the wrong track a lot longer than she would have if I had known what I know now.

ETA: Where/which books have you been reading?

Old 07-11-2007, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmyn's Mum View Post
This is the advice I was given for detoxing the digestive system. I also use ground physillum (sp?) husk which is high in fiber content (something like 49% of the recommended amount for an adult per tablespoon) into foods and drinks. I add this to a protein shake each morning for DH and myself and we always get the urge within a hour of finishing the shake.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:04 PM

Can you up his C intake? That should help him go more regularly.

I know of a person who use to go once a week and since upping their C level go everyday.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:25 PM

Vitamins and minerals are great, but if they are to treat a symptom (constipation or poor digestion) without treating the cause (none of us have any idea) then they are only a short-term solution.

Breastfed babies- that is, infants- DO go for long periods without poops. However, I don't think that's the norm for toddlers who are eating mainly solids. Also, I am particularly worried about the fact that everything's coming out whole.

The entire digestive system, liver, kidneys, intestines, stomach, etc. all contribute juices to the digestive process. Any kind of laxative, "natural" or otherwise, is not going to heal every single organ.

It just really sounds to me that this is not something that can easily be figured out on a message board, you know? I really hope that you manage to find a trustworthy and kind doctor who will listen and help you work through this.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Just wanted to let you know I am in the same boat and feel the same way about her needing to go more often. I am a little upset about people insisting that it is normal for BF babies to go so long between poops. I think that she went down the wrong track a lot longer than she would have if I had known what I know now.

ETA: Where/which books have you been reading?
The one I'm reading now is Tissue Cleansing Through Bowel Management

I've also been on many of the Healing the Gut threads in the past, and have read much of the info from the HTG cheat sheet.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto l&a View Post
Can you up his C intake? That should help him go more regularly.

I know of a person who use to go once a week and since upping their C level go everyday.
Yes, and I definitely have been, as much as possible. I give him SA daily in his green smoothie.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by izobelle View Post
Vitamins and minerals are great, but if they are to treat a symptom (constipation or poor digestion) without treating the cause (none of us have any idea) then they are only a short-term solution.

Breastfed babies- that is, infants- DO go for long periods without poops. However, I don't think that's the norm for toddlers who are eating mainly solids. Also, I am particularly worried about the fact that everything's coming out whole.

The entire digestive system, liver, kidneys, intestines, stomach, etc. all contribute juices to the digestive process. Any kind of laxative, "natural" or otherwise, is not going to heal every single organ.

It just really sounds to me that this is not something that can easily be figured out on a message board, you know? I really hope that you manage to find a trustworthy and kind doctor who will listen and help you work through this.
I don't have an expectation of easily figuring this out. What I AM looking for here is Mamas who have BTDT, and may have some suggestions for things that worked for them (naturally). There are a lot of very educated and well-researched Mamas here and "two heads are better than one" in these situations.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izobelle

Isn't it possible that the underlying cause is a vitamin or mineral deficiency? Won't the right balance of nutrition/vitamins/minerals/enzymes (if it can be found) contribute to the healing of the digestive organs?

I did see a ped for DD's constipation, and she prescribed lactulose (which she said was like fiber), which is a synthesis of sugars designed to draw water out of the bowel into the stool, and could potentially cause dehydration. She indicated that she prefers this route to making diet modifications or adding supplements.

My thinking is that if you have a problem that certain foods aggravate, you should avoid them until you resolve the problem. And, if magnesium or vitamin C deficiency were the cause, then taking supplements and/or getting the right amount in your diet would be "treating the cuase"... wouldn't it?

Also, FWIW, my 12 mo DD is primarily BF, not mostly on solids, but her once per week stools are DEFINITELY constipation. They are too firm and she strains to the point of causing small fissures, even though she was going at the same frequency on 100% BM (now 85% BM).

Old 07-11-2007, 05:34 PM

How much of these things were there BEFORE the move to Canada? Honeslty at his age, changing to being alone more is not uncommon. Yes he's still young, but kids go through many phases & this is one. If some of these started after the move it could be related to the move.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:40 PM

I know folks here are very anti-doctor, but there are some situations where bouncing your ideas and your babies symptoms off of a doctor are worthwhile. This definitely seems like one of them to me. I would not play around if I felt my child were not well. I'd discuss it with a trusted care provider. Please look into your heart and see if your mommy intuition is telling you to seek medical care. Honestly I'm seeing some red flags here that are pretty worrisome.

You are not less of a mother if you need a doctor for your child! That is what they are for.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:51 AM

Leila- Of course, vitamin deficiency can cause other problems.

The question is, why does the child, who has a healthy diet and healthy parents, have a vitamin deficiency? Vitamin deficiencies do not come up out of the blue. The OP might have noticed that her child is not eating enough foods that contain magnesium or vitamin C. However, she does not seem to be reporting this.

She suspects that there is a magnesium deficiency- but why would that be, if nobody else in her family (or indeed, area) has such a deficiency? Is the child avoiding magnesium-rich foods?

Let me give an example. Where I live, there is a problem with iodine deficiencies. This is because the people are far from the sea and cannot afford to eat a lot of the foods that contain iodine, and their salt does not have iodine. The cause of the lack of iodine is quite clear. However, if a person living near the sea were to have an iodine deficiency, this would be strange. The doctors would look for a specific cause. Does the person avoid iodine-rich foods? Does the family have a poor diet? Is there an absorption issue?

Do you see what I mean? It's not that I doubt that vitamin deficiencies can be the cause of a problem. It's that I believe that vitamin deficiencies have their own causes- especially in a family such as the OP's, where they are obviously already working very hard to eat a balanced diet.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:16 AM

I get what you mean Izobelle. It's what's different that's remarkable and why it's worth looking into in a different way (in other words, a doctor).

FWIW, my child started having trouble with his teeth as well as his mood (becoming very quiet or very crazy) all around the same time. He also had some issues that appeared to be his gut, but were not.

There are muscle issues for instance that have to do with the bowels. And hypoglycemia can make you listless or more and more quiet. And hyperammonemia (high ammonia levels) can rot your teeth.

I urge you to find a good, caring doctor, and go see them.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

In the US , about everyone is magnesium deficient to some degree. This is why I worry about magnesium.

And I think somehow people are missing the post about my seeking out a proper naturopath for this - I am, so we can stop saying find a doctor. I get it, several of you want me to find a doctor. And I addressed this when I said I am looking for one.

What I am looking for HERE is suggestions from people who have been here, and who might see some pattern that perhaps I am NOT seeing, and might be able to point out some paths that I might take that I am not currently on.

I've read Weston Price's Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, we eat a mainly NT diet, sans gluten/wheat/dairy. Almost everything we eat is whole foods, and nutrition is incredibly important to us.

I am concerned for me son not getting the nutrients he needs because in the recent past I have had gut issues, and I suspect leaky gut. It seems to be healing, but it can be a slow process, so it is likely that my DS has not gotten some of the nutrition he might need from me, in utero and even from BF. If I passed my gut issues onto him, this could well be the reason he is having bowel issues now. If it is a mineral deficiency, I want to supplement that mineral. If it is a food allergy, I want to eliminate that food. (And I do suspect, after PMing JaneS, that it is at least partially a food allergy, which would of course inflame the bowel and cause things to be coming out undigested. At least that would explain this most recent course of events.)

I've read so many books and PubMed articles on nutrition, minerals, etc and their importance and deficiencies that this is why I suspect a mineral deficiency and am supplementing accordingly. But after all of these months, we are still having this same issue and I am stumped.

I have no interest in merely treating the symptoms with drugs or temporary fixes - I am interested in healing my son so that he poops easily every day, and he is getting all of his nutrients from his food rather than having a toxic gut. In the past I've gotten some amazing input from MDC Mamas, which is why I come here and ask the questions.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Rachael, do you mean the benefiber is wheat based, or the Ionic fizz? I'll look into that - oh1 It just occurred to me that I could mix the Baby Calm with some Emergen-C, although I prefer the idea of it being sweetened with Stevia to fructose, which is what I think Emergen-C is sweetened with.

Maybe I can come up with my own concoction, too, with juice or something...

Also I read on another thread (Leila's) about liquid glycerin suppositories, and I like that idea. because I'm in Canada I cannot get the ones she pointed to, but I DO have some glycerin, and I am checking with home health suppliers about getting the child rectal applicators - I think we could easily make them ourselves that way, and SO much less traumatic than the hard ones.
The Baby Calm/Natural Calm and the Ionic Fizz are sweetened with stevia. The Benefiber is wheat-based but you could always use psyllium or something else. I used to put psyllium into ds's yogurt (when that was about all he'd eat). Just make sure he get's enough fluids with the extra fiber if you decide to increase fiber. There's a product called FruitEze that seems to be really helpful in alleviating constipation. It's basically just prunes, raisins and dates pureed reallly well (very popular in the "constipated kids" groups ) You can find it online. I tried making my own, not very smooth but I use it like a jam on sandwiches, when ds1 will eat it. I also use the Fleet liquid glycerin suppositories with ds2 when needed, soo much easier than the glycerin "sticks."
Old 07-14-2007, 12:19 AM

There is a sweet fizzing drink like Emergen-C that is sweetened with Stevia -- it's by Trace Minerals and it's called Electrolyte Stamina. It does have fructose in it too, but less. mama

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

User Tag List