Anyone dealt with high lead levels in baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-17-2007, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,
I am absolutely sick over this..I found out yesterday that my 1 yr old has high lead levels-his number was 14-they say over 10 can cause damage.
Yes, we live in an old house. no we have not had the paint tested, nor the water.
I am feeling so awful. Here I am not vaxing, nursing round the clock, feeding organic foods and all the while my little guy is getting poisoned from his house.
So, the dr wants him on poly vi sol with iron and of course we have to find the source.
I have someone coming tomorrow to test the paint and will send water samples to be tested too.
Anyway, has anyone else been through this?
I need reasurrance that my little guy will be ok! He is totally normal developmentally so far, but I know that is not a indication of much.
Is there anything else I should be doing for him?
Thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 07-17-2007, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For adults, vitamin C is protective against heavy metal exposure (obviously not completely, better to avoid it, but when it's not avoidable--my dad worked in a steel mill, for example). I'd do that at least until you understood and could deal with the cause. Sodium ascorbate (online sources like Bronson's are often cheaper than the local health food store) is well-tolerated (less acidic than ascorbic acid, less likely to upset the tummy).
#3 of 6 Old 07-17-2007, 09:37 PM

There's a lot of information on this thread:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=265284

Mommy to two wonderful boys
#4 of 6 Old 07-18-2007, 03:00 AM

Hi, you are not alone at all.
My son got a 15, same deal, old house. We decided to heck with it, and we are leaving. I can't take the constant fear that he'll grab a paint chip I didn't notice or something. I would elabourate more, but I am not in a great mental state at the moment. Just wanted to drop you a note and say you aren't alone. I understand feeling the guilt too. Just out of curiousity- are you still breastfeeding? Cause if you are and doc said do something else, you need to find another doc.
#5 of 6 Old 07-18-2007, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link and the support.
I am still breastfeeding and my dr didn't say anyhing about it-but my levels haven't been checked since I was pg-I was fine then...
I am worried sick about this and waiting for my 4 yr old's results.
The paint checker guy comes this am so hopefully I will have some more answers.
We really can't leave. This is a very unusual house and we moved here to MA from VA 2 yrs ago. The house is enormous and has 3 apts in it and was on the market for 2 yrs before we bought it-so its not like we can just put it up for sale and be gone. Plus my dh is not worried. HE says we all had high lead levels growing up and it is not that big a deal.
#6 of 6 Old 07-18-2007, 08:48 AM

Nah, the reason I asked was because I was told that is the absolute BEST thing you can do. The breastfeeding, I mean.
I didn't need her to tell me, but it was nice to hear.
So, I did alot of research when I found out my son had that lead level- did you purchase this home from a real estate agent, by chance? Because if you did- you may not have to just "sell it and move". You have rights in this situation, actually. We bought ours FSBO, and basically had diddly squat- we were pretty niave when we bought the place. Fortunately the way the contract was worded, a lawyer was able to get us out of it. For us, honestly lead abatement would cost more than the house, its gone that far. Hopefully the house you live in is not that bad and can be corrected easily.
I'd check into every possible option you have.
Oh, and one other thing- DH is VERY wrong. Do your homework. The statistics on this will frighten you. I'm not being mean, but before this happened to us, we were pretty ignorant of what lead can do and so I understand- but he -is- wrong.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page