fine rash on 2 year old's belly, chest, and back... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-22-2007, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This whole vax thing so confuses me. I don't like the stuff thats in them, and there's no way i want that stuff going through my child's veins...

...but i'm (almost) equally has afraid of the diseases out there.

My child's last vax was when he was 4 months old. Then I learned about vaxes and decided not to get him anymore.

Well last week (around Wednesday), he got a little bit of diarreah, and fever. Then it kind of cleared up, even though I can see in his eyes he doesn't feel good all the time, although most of the time, he seems normal.

Today I went to give him a bath and noticed a fine rash all over his tummy, chest, and back, and neck.

What could it be? We are out of town right now, could he be contageous? He seems just fine otherwise, should I rush him to the doctor? If so, will I catch heat for not having him vaxed in a long time?

I'm confused and extremely worried.

I feel like I "let" him get sick, and I could have somehow avoided it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2007, 02:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
that sounds a little like roseola, for which there is no vax, and which most babies have at some point in their little lives. I can't imagine a doc pestering you about vaxing over roseola...just doesn't make any sense at all since 1) it's no big deal and 2) there's nothing to prevent it.

Your baby is contageous until the rash goes away. But seriously, 90% of children get this illness before age 5, so it's really only immuno-compromised people that need to be concerned about exposure.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:27 AM

it kinda sounds like roseola, has he had that yet? It starts with a fever for a few days and then they get a rash and feel crummy the whole time, but it is a common illness and great for the immune system.

If you stretch the skin where the rash is and it turns white, the rash disappears, that is very characteristic of Roseola.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:29 AM

Sounds like roseola. My daughter had this a few months ago...it sucked!!! She did get a fever first before the rash came. I took her to the docs and really there is nothing they could do, it's viral. Hugs!!

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

Old 07-22-2007, 02:31 AM

oh, she also had hand foot mouth a while back and also had a rash with that..but it's more like blisters..she had a fever and sore throat.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

Old 07-22-2007, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks. I thought it was measles or something...

It doesn't turn white when I stretch the skin around it (I don't know if that's becuse of his skin complextion or what) but it does go away and right now, it's not blistery or anything. Maybe it is roseola.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:37 AM

I thought it was measles too when I first saw it. But mine had the fever and the vomiting at the same time as the rash, which apparently isn't the normal course of things.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:42 AM

that does sound like roseola...My DS had it when he was about...8 months old..he had fever for like 2, 3 days and had very fine rashes all over his trunk...he didn't have any energy, poor baby....then after 3 days or so he was himself again...

For worrying about not vaxing...don't worry, worrying doesn't help anything.
Keep his immune system up by taking good care of nutrition, rest, avoid stress, avoid traveling when he seems down.
You are doing the right thing, mama.
Keep saying the mantra: believe in the power of intact immune system.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:09 AM

Since several PPs have already addressed the issue of what your child might have ~ I won't add to that since I pretty much agree.

As for the concern with regard to the vaxes ~ sounds like maybe you might want to review the research that originally drove you to not vax. You cannot always run in fear of your child getting sick. The diseases that we vax for are not usually life threatening (the majority of the VADs) in healthy children...and while it is never fun to have a sick child...being sick as children at times helps the immune systems get a work out and IMO keeps them healthier later in life.

The best way I have found to research vaxes and VADs is to take each one individually and research the treatments for the diseases, the possible side effects ~ and then take the opposite side and research the vaxes that are intended to protect against each disease (ingredients, efficiancy, complications/side effects, etc.). There are tons of little childhood illnesses that there is no vaccine available for ~ like Roseola ~ which are just as mild as things like Rubella, CP, etc. ~ and prior to those having vaccines available for them they were not the dreaded diseases that they are today.

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

Old 07-22-2007, 07:51 PM

Get yourself the book by Dr. Mendelsohn - How to raise a healthy child in spite of your doctor. It will help you to get informed about childhood diseases and the fact that they are NOT to be feared.

In my era no one was afraid of them. We had all the childhood infections and no one ever thought of calling the doctor. It was simply a part of growing up. And I don't know of a single person who died from any of them.

Diseases become dangerous when there is a war, famine, or some natural disaster. Otherwise we can handle them pretty easily.

User Tag List