pink eye help! 5 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-06-2003, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so here it is -- Sunday, and we have been hoping & hoping that we would get lucky ever since the neighbor boy gave pink eye to my cousin's 2 sons (5yrs & 10 mths). Well, no luck. Ian woke up with the tell-tale snotty lookin' goo in his right eye, & his left eye is showing every sign of being about 10 hours behind in the infection. :cry :cry

I am *of course* out of state, so I can't go to my doctor. The on call nurse refused to give me any advice other than to take him in. I would love if anyone could give me any advice. Is there, by any chance, a more natural remedy? My cousin's friend's daughters (follow that? :LOL) had pink eye last year & received extra medication, so I have an unopened bottle of eye drops. They are: Sulfacetamide Sodium Ophthalmic Solution USP, 10% Sterile (glad I didn't have to try to pronounce THAT again!).

Is it safe to give this to my son? We're pretty sure the girl it was prescribed to was less than a year old, but I want to make sure it's safe! Help, help,help! If all else fails, I will have to take him to a ready-care type place tomorrow -- I simply don't have the $$ for an emergancy room visit & I know our sucky insurance would hardly pay for any of it!

Please, wise ladies, please help!!

TIA! Carolynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 07-06-2003, 02:20 PM

Do you breastfeed? If so a friend of mine swears by breastmilk as a cure for pink eye. She says she squirted some on her youngest sons eyes and within a few days it was gone. She even did it for herself when she got it and said it cleared right up.

I personally haven't tried this but it might be something to try. Hopefully someone else might know if this is true or not. Good luck!
#3 of 14 Old 07-06-2003, 07:18 PM

We have used cammomile tea compresses. Make up a cup of tea (celestial seasons is fine) when still warm put in wash clothe and place on the eye baby isnt' going to be to happy with it but it does start soothing right away.. make sure it isnt hot! Cleared up pink eye overnight.
#4 of 14 Old 07-06-2003, 07:59 PM

I second the breast milk and eyebright tea bags work great.
Best of luck
#5 of 14 Old 07-06-2003, 08:05 PM

I third the breast milk.

Also just keeping the eye washed out with disilled or boilled and cooled water. I read the the eye should be rinsed out every hour or so during the day.

The first and only time I ever had pink eye I wasnt bfing at the time to just used the water rinse all during the day, in two days time it was all cleared up.
#6 of 14 Old 07-06-2003, 08:40 PM

Well I feel better knowing I remembered it right! lol
#7 of 14 Old 07-07-2003, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, thank you, ladies!! I have been putting breastmilk in his eye every few hours. It's pretty funny to do... :LOL His eye is starting to look a bit pink, now -- I'm glad I've been doing this all day -- I imagine it would be worse, otherwise. Of course, topping the pink eye with the cold we all have, the visit to a strange place, and the drastic change in climate & elevation (from Florida to Colorado), is pretty much enough of a challenge!!

We'll start rinsing with water & get some teabags in the morning. Thanks!
#8 of 14 Old 07-07-2003, 03:07 AM

Euphrasia (eyebright) tincture in some water, as an eyewash...
You will get more concentrate in the tincture than in the teabags.. but same concept... I would do 5-10 drops in a small bowlful of water...
It has worked for me...
Breastmilk sounds like the number one rec though... good luck!!
#9 of 14 Old 07-08-2003, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Hello all! Ian is doing all right today. The cold & sore throat have faded -- much more quickly for him than for us. He had a bit of a gooey-stuck-closed eye this morning, but it wasn't half as bad as our cousins' eyes had been. It's pretty fun trying to squirt him in the eye with my homemade squirter hehe :LOL . Last night he was turning his head from side to side with his mouth wide open trying to "catch" me. Guess I should have made sure he wasn't hungry, first! :LOL

Anywho..thanks for the help, & I'll probably post again later to let ya'll know how it went.
#10 of 14 Old 07-25-2003, 05:44 PM

How is the little one doing now?
#11 of 14 Old 07-25-2003, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

nak - or trying to!

ian is doing pretty well. i stopped squirting him :LOL when his eye returned to a normal color, so a week later it came back. this time i'm doin it until i see not one single bit of goo, then i'll do it one day extra.

unfortunately, he couldn't shake the 2nd cold he got. he ended up at an urgent care place cause he was 1 step away from wheezing cause it was settling in his chest & not loosening up. the dr. said he didn't want to give him antibiotics unless really necessary (good dr. ), and gave me a liquid/oral abuteral (sp?) -- the stuff they put in inhalers. that way his passageways stayed open & he was able to cough it out. we got back to florida wed night/thurs morning at midnight, and he hasn't had a dose since.

he's doing wonderfully, now. the dr. made the point that if we were supposed to change climates so quickly, they would be closer together. never again -- til he's older -- will i drag him all over the country!
#12 of 14 Old 07-25-2003, 06:26 PM

well hopefully now he'll get better and stay that way!!!
#13 of 14 Old 07-28-2003, 05:53 PM

For those that don't have breast milk readily available, as we can't lactate forever..lol... Using the water froma fresh cut tomato(don't mistake this for for canned tomatoe juice or a juiced tomato) on a clean gauze to wipe the eye clean several times a day. The pH of that tomato water is similar to the eye, so it's fine and the enzymes within will attack the bacteria that cause pink eye.

straight fromt he naturopath and it really does work.
#14 of 14 Old 07-28-2003, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks MomOfHeathens (<--- love that name! :LOL ) he's doing better now, although there's still the teeniest bit of eye gook in the morning. It's probably nothing, but I'm going to make sure, this time!

Touch of Sunshine -- that rocks, I'll be sure to tell my sister that! Err.. did I mention, my niece ended up with pink eye, & my nephew with a mild respitory infection? I have a very forgiving sister! And healthy/resilient niece & nephews!

User Tag List