Worried about taking my daughter to the doctor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-22-2007, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 18 month old daughter has labial adhesions. They have gotten worse very quickly over the last 2 weeks. She now appears to be sealed shut all the way and I don't know how much of an opening is left around the urethra. I want to take her to get it treated because it seems to be getting worse so quickly. The only problem is we don't have a family doctor (new city, no doctors) so we have to either go to the walk-in clinic or to the ER. I have been to the walk-in clinic a number of times and they aren't very good with kids. They also don't seem to be too knowledgable about issues beyond the basic antibiotics, allergy shots, etc, stuff. I am really scared to take her in there with that because I am afraid they will try and just pull it apart or tell me it needs to be surgically separated or something. I am also scared of that with the ER. I know from research that the usually prescribed course of action is estrogen cream and I am okay with using that at this point. I am just really scared of running into a doctor who doesn't know about it and who tries to do something that will hurt her. Also there isn't any possibility they will think that means she's been sexually abused or something would they? I know she hasn't been of course. The other issue is that she has an infected toe. I feel horrible I didn't notice earlier but it looks like a toenail has grown into the skin and it is definately infected. The toe is red (its the big toe on her right foot) and there is a bubble with yellowy-green pus in it. Will they have to lance it or pull the toenail out or something. I don't think I have the stomach to hold her while they hurt her! Will they at least use some form of anesthetic if they have to do something to it? Any help is appreciated and I really appreciate all responses.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-22-2007, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OMG! Now I am terrified to take her in. I just did a search for labial adhesions in a search engine and this is the first article that popped up! http://members.shaw.ca/pdg/indicators.html How can I take her in if there's even a tiny little change that they will involve CAS (I'm in Canada) because they think she's been abused. I don't know what to do! I am terried of CAS because of the horror stories I've heard and I know I would kill anyone who tried to take my children from me.

Is there any way I can treat this at home??

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#3 of 3 Old 07-22-2007, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First CAS in Canada is not as bad as what is in the US.

Second, labial adhesions is very low on the list of possible signs, they could not use that alone to suspect abuse

Third, relax go in and you'll see you're worring over nothing. I have not heard of dr's pulling it apart, they prescibe the estrogen creams.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page