Homeopathy - Good for VPD or Placebo Effect? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2007, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dis View Post
I have no problem with placebos - sometimes I swear 90% of illness is all in our heads.

What I have a problem with is people making false claims and huge profits off of selling what is basically just water.
I agree to pay big money for the "just water" that cures me without any side effects And many people that suffers from different illnesses will agree
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2007, 01:13 AM

I am among the skeptics,too, although I am giving ds homeopathic teething tablets (I don't know if they are doing much). But one homeopathic product that really works is arnica-either the tablets or the gel. I used to use it on my massage clients and it really does provide relief for sore muscles and bruising. Could it be that some homeopathics work better than others?
Old 07-24-2007, 01:21 AM
dis

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Did you do a test to see if it worked any better than just massage alone?

True homeopathics are just water, so no, some won't work better than others. Lots of things are labelled homeopathic when they really do have active ingredients, so they aren't really homeopathic.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:01 AM

If you've ever seen a humongous goose egg literally disappear off of a baby's forehead after using arnica, you'd believe.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl View Post
If you've ever seen a humongous goose egg literally disappear off of a baby's forehead after using arnica, you'd believe.
Yep. Or curing severe excema. Or helping tremendously with a burn. Or stomach issues....

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

Old 07-24-2007, 01:45 PM

What I don't understand, if the homeopathy is JUST a placebo, WHY the usual drugs don't work as placebo???
My mother had terrible rash for few months, she went to a dermatologist, he gave her a some drug, it got worse. She wanted it to work, REALLY. Then she went to a homeopath, after 2 weeks the rush disappeared completely. So why the usual drugs didn't help, my mother believed in them ? And I know many cases when the drugs didn't help but homeopathy did.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy View Post
There is nothing magical or supernatural about homeopathy . It works, and it works well, but you have to know what you're doing otherwise it's as good as wishful thinking.

There is a whole lot of allopathic medicine that doesn't have a well described or even understood mechanism of action which doesn't stop doctors from prescribing and patients from using them receiving the desired effect at least some of the time .

True homeopathy is not just using 'very diluted' stuff. There are=rules that have to be followed otherwise it is just using 'very diluted stuff' - which is used a lot in a number of alternative therapies none of which is, strictly speaking, homeopathy.
Amen sister!

I also have lots of experience working w/homeopathy and have seen its effects firsthand, and replicated as well. I take the fact that it works in infants to mean something important.

The way I see it, it does not appear to be just placebo (although I find "placebo" to be an inaccurate term that should usually be replaced with the phrase "the mysterious will of the body to heal"). I do think it is accurate to say that our advanced science has not developed tools sensitive enough to measure/understand what is happening in a body that is being affected by a homeopathic remedy. But being unable to detect/measure/explain, is not the same as a phenomenon being unreal.

BTW Rescue Remedy is not a homeopathic remedy, it is a flower essence which is a different process of manufacture and different though related philosophy.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake girl
:
Old 07-24-2007, 07:04 PM

When I was studying homeopathy about 7 years ago we studied some of the double blind studies in which the homeopathics did have a statistically significant effect (one famous study involved diarrhea in children). I don't have the references to these now and am not really interested in digging them up, but what also interests me in terms of proof for homeopathy's efficacy is the historical record. In the 1918 flu pandemic the allopathic death rate for the flu was close to 30% whereas the death rate amongst the homeopathic physicians (they were also MDs by the way) was close to 1%.

There are several books on homeopathy written by allopathic medical physicians. They enjoy great success in their medical practices with homeopathics even with serious conditions such as cancer. One of the doctors I studied with (not an MD, perhaps he was a chiro) Dr. Andre Saine, has an ongoing professional relationship with oncologists who refer their patients to him for homeopathic consultation.

When you actually sit down with the medical professionals who are using this modality, when you read the historical accounts of how it has been used since it was developed, and when you experience its effect in cases where it cannot be a placebo (or observation bias FTR), you will understand the powerful effect of homeopathy.

Just my opinion of course.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:32 AM

We use homeopathy almost exclusively in our house-I say almost because there are some natural remedies I use as well. There is nothing placebo about it as far as I'm concerned. Properly used it is amazing-improperly it is not. I pay an MD who is also a homeopath that uses "true" as in classical homeopathy and he works wonders-not because we are looking for things, but because they happen. Whn my mother's white count went down and stayed down because I begged her to try homeopathy even though she thought it was ridiculous it wasn't placebo effect. When ds wasn't pooping at a month old and started going on his remedy it wasn't placebo effect, when I was bleeding out of my breast with a staph infection and had a horrible weeping rash that cleared within a day of a new remedy it wasn't placebo.

IF you don't believe it, don't use it. I think it's funny how many threads there are like this.

As to the dilution of the poison in the ocean or whatever: the idea is like cures like. So using your analogy if you suffered from terrible environmental pollution, drinking the ocean water might actually have a healing effect.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis View Post
Did you do a test to see if it worked any better than just massage alone?

True homeopathics are just water, so no, some won't work better than others. Lots of things are labelled homeopathic when they really do have active ingredients, so they aren't really homeopathic.
No, not an actual test. I'd use it in conjunction with massage. It does seem to take swelling down, and sore muscles and bruises feel better after using it-I am a runner and use it a lot myself. Maybe the topical arnica is more effective than the tablets, and it could be that there are active ingredients in that.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
I think it's funny how many threads there are like this.
Me too! OK if you don't like the idea of homeopathy, no one's forcing you to open a bottle or even find out how it's really put together! Hee hee.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:46 PM

When my ds was 16 mos, he developed head-to-toe eczema. It was horrible, itchy, hot, red, the stuff of nightmares. For a year, I tried everything. Allopathic creams/lotions/liquids/pills, herbal lotions/tinctures, homeopathics, elimination diets, NAET. Then, when he was 28 mos, I tried a homeopathic I found on the internet. The eczema began to clear within 24 hrs and was completely gone within a week. For the next 1.5 yrs, I stopped giving it to him for a few days every 3-4 months. The eczema would come back. Finally, it didn't come back when he stopped taking it.
He was way too young for it to have been a placebo. He had no way to tell the thing that worked from all the other things we had tried. I know it is hard to find the right homeopathic remedy, as we had tried others before the one that worked. But, when you do find the right one, it does work.

Momma to three fine children, one that lives in my heart and two that live in my arms.
Circumcision is wrong, regardless of gender

User Tag List