Mouth raw and painful - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-01-2007, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Weirdest thing ever. You know how when you eat too much sugar and your tongue gets bumps on it and feels very sensitive, or when you eat cereal or something else that is very crunchy, you have this feeling that your palate and gums are abrased and inflamed?

Well, I have both of those things going on - I woke up yesterday with it like this, my gums, on the inside by the molars, are very raw, not bleeding, but like they've been sanded with sandpaper. Ditto for the gums on top in the same area, as well as under my tongue. My tongue doesn't feel raw, just very painful like there are ulcers on it.

There are no ulcer spots (I used to get those a lot as a kid), so no open wounds or white areas, just really inflamed, red, raw tissue.

The only thing I can think of that I've done differently lately is take Airborne frequently over the last few weeks. I took it 2 weeks ago every day 2-3x per day, and skipped a week, then took it this week, 3x per day. It has a very high concentration of Vit C in it, and you take it in water, the tablet dissolves in water, so it's been covering my whole mouth when I drink it. Could that be the problem? If not, what other ideas do you have? I've exhausted my mad google skillz without getting one iota of information.

Also, any suggestions as to how to get some relief would be not just appreciated and welcome, but met with adulation. It hurts really bad, and when I talk, I soiund like Elmer Fudd because it hurts to form too many letters.

These are the ingredients of airborne:
Vitamin A (Palmitate) 5,000 I.U. (100% DV*), Vitamin C 1,000mg (1,670% DV*), Vitamin E (Acetate) 30 I.U. (100% DV*), Riboflavin 2.8mg (170% DV*), Magnesium (Oxide & Sulfate) 40mg (10% DV*), Zinc (Sulfate) 8mg (55% DV*), Selenium (Amino Acid Chelate) 15mcg (20% DV*), Manganese (Gluconate) 3mg (150% DV*), Potassium 75mg (2% DV*), Proprietary Blend of Maltodextrin, Lonicera, Forsythia, Schizonepeta, Ginger, Chinese Vitex, Isatis Root, Echinacea 350mg (DV**), Amino Acids (Glutamine as L-Glutamine, Lysine as L-Lysine HCl) 50mg (DV**). *Daily Value.
Other Ingredients: Citric Acid, Sodium Bicarbonate, Sorbitol, Potassium Bicarbonate, Natural & Artificial Orange Flavor, Mineral Oil, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium.

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)
#2 of 9 Old 08-01-2007, 05:03 PM

my first thought, maybe too much citric acid bothering your mouth? also I know when i take cold-eese, the stuff with lots of zinc, that i start to get an irritated mouth when i eat too much.....maybe quit taking it, or so much? i really like emergenC, it has never irritated me.
#3 of 9 Old 08-01-2007, 05:05 PM

Hi Danielle

The only time I've ever felt that is when we all had thrush; and I got it in my mouth. It was exactly as you've described. I didn't have white patches or anything in my mouth. It was just very painful and raw.
#4 of 9 Old 08-01-2007, 05:06 PM

i get that too with too much citric acid so it could be the supplement. it gets really bad when i overindulge in eating yummy fresh pineapple. ouch!!

but i have to say my first thought when reading your post was hand-foot-mouth disease (coxsackie virus).
#5 of 9 Old 08-01-2007, 05:07 PM

It does sound like how my MIL has described when she's had thrush. She says the pain can be so bad that she can hardly eat!

Mom to (5) (9)
#6 of 9 Old 08-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Banned

No advice but I love the little bread crumb you used to get me here
#7 of 9 Old 08-01-2007, 05:16 PM

methamphetamines have a side effect just like you are describing- are you sure you didn't "accidentally" take some?

Punk, hippy, mama to 4 amazing kiddos, Boy#1 (18), TheGirl (13), Boy#2 (11- PBD) and Boy#3 (6)
#8 of 9 Old 08-01-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthesmilingone View Post
No advice but I love the little bread crumb you used to get me here
Ah shucks! I was coming to raise some hell over here.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#9 of 9 Old 08-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Banned

Ummm.... uhhh.... how shall I phrase this..... have you had ummm.... anything else in your mouth recently.... like a finger.... but not a finger.....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page