What to do -- Sick Toddler. Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-02-2007, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My not-vaxed 20 month old son is sick. This is a big worry as I am pregnant, it has been hard, hubby is deployed, and I can not afford to get sick! I am not sure what to do for the little guy. He is fairly healthy but did not breastfeed well and we both got sick when we was born in the hospital. (Yet another reason for the homebirth this time!) I was thinking about adding vit C power to his smoothie in the morning. I guess I should say what his issue is. He is coughing since last night, mostly at night, he seems mostly like his normal self in the day time, and last night and tonight he is just miserable.

I am also concered as a very close friend had her daughter vaxed and I kept the kids apart for a few days but we are very close and swap sitting and go to church and sports practice and there is hardly a day we are not together. Her daughter got the 2 year shots I believe.... That family does not seem ill though....

We have practice this whole week and a game Saturday and church and classes Sunday.... should we skip all this and stay home do you think? If someone things I should get something we do not have on hand should I drag kids to health food store?

I am just feeling so lost without hubby right now.

Blessings,
Kimmy

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#2 of 10 Old 08-03-2007, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

After a little research I am really happy we put flax sead oil with DHA in our smoothies. I added Vit C powder the last two days as well. With the flax seed oil do you think I should still get Cod liver oil?

I really think I need to take an online Homeopathy class. Anyone have one they would advise for a mama who is pregnant and can no focus to take?

DS slept last night! He has a runny nose today and coughed a very few times todays thus far. I am happy for him and DD and I seem to be doing ok.

Help, I need to ready this cold season!

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#3 of 10 Old 08-03-2007, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, the vaxed family is also now sick too. 2 weeks down to that day from when they got their toddler vaxed! Grrrrrr.

#4 of 10 Old 08-03-2007, 07:04 PM

This might sound silly, but I found a thick layer of vicks vapor rub on the feet with socks helps babe sleep through the night and shorten it altogether. It doesn't do anything for the nose, just the cough. It did work for my babe, 10 months.
#5 of 10 Old 08-03-2007, 07:24 PM

Vitamin C will fix many ills. If the cough is worse at night you may want to research pertussis, and decide if that is what you are dealing with. To get the best protection from Vit C, you need to give a small dose every four to six hours.
if you've been around a while you do know that vit c is the best thing for pertussis.
Hope your little one is feeling better soon!
#6 of 10 Old 08-03-2007, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

I am going to be so not thrilled if this is wooping cough, though I believe he had that already when he was very small, thanks to a hospital birth!

Vit C ok for me to take as well do you think considering I am pregnant. I am really trying not to catch this!

#7 of 10 Old 08-04-2007, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

DS was up again last night. I guess we just wait and see if it lasts longer then a cold to know what it is?

#8 of 10 Old 08-05-2007, 02:53 PM

I took vit c when I was recently preggo. I had cough, congestion, head stuff, sore throat, etc... I also ate lots and lots of garlic. Dh, who loves garlic, said the house wreaked of it. He couldn't stand it. Morning, noon, and night... garlic, garlic, garlic! And guess what... Much, much better

gl
hth

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

#9 of 10 Old 08-06-2007, 01:00 AM

Here is a thread with loads of good information about pertussis: http://www.mothering.com/discussions.../t-480042.html

hope that helps, and your little guy is feeling better soon.
#10 of 10 Old 08-06-2007, 02:39 PM

Hugs to you mama, To be honest before you start ot worry that it may be whopping chough and all the seriose things. All my kids do that night coughing when they get a viral cold - It's fequently called a croup cough - the virus causes the airways to constrict and thats what causes a cough that often sounds like a seal barking, or a small dogs bark. The thing that tips me off is you say it is worst at night - having been through WC - it's and all day all night thing with no real change.

For a croup cought, support the immune system to fight the cold virus (vit C, Garlic, chicken soup) and at night lots of fresh air - if you live in a dryer climate use a humidifier in his room. Vic's vapo rub on a cloth near the head of the bed(but out of reach) and eucolyptus/mint oils help alot as does a warm bath in a steammy bathroom before bed (with peppermint or rosemerry added to the bath).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page