Taking an herbal supplement to help a baby sleep on an airplane...? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-10-2003, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A little background: I took an overnight international flight (Chicago to Amsterdam - 8 hours) a few weeks ago with my 14-month old. It wasn't pretty. It took forever to get him to sleep; he was really wound up. I couldn't keep him in the seat with me for long before he got squirmy and started to cry, so we spent a lot of time walking and hanging out in the back of the plane. Not ideal, but in the moment it seemed like the best option. I'd say he only slept two hours that night.

Anyway, we're leaving again in two days to take the same flight. I had friends on this past trip who gave their son an herbal supplement to help him sleep. Coincidence or not, he slept through most of the flight. So yesterday at Whole Foods I picked up Valerian Super Calm Herbs for Kids made by the company Nerve Support. It says it's for children over one year. The ingredients are a "proprietary blend" (1ml serving) of skullcap herb, chamomile flowers, valerian root, fellen seed, hops strobiles and catnip herb, also kosher coconut and/or palm kernel glycerine.

Is this safe for my baby? Would you give it to your kid? Is there something that would be better? Obviously, I don't want to give him benadryl, but if there's a way I can help him relax so he can get to sleep on the flight I think it would benefit everybody. Thanks!

Becca

Edited to add that I'm still nursing, and ds hasn't shown any signs of food allergies (though dh has extensive allergies). Also, can anybody tell me how quickly the drops would take effect - should I wait to give them until we're on the plane? It departs at about 6pm our time.
#2 of 5 Old 07-11-2003, 08:25 AM

I think if it was me, I'd try some plain old chamomille tea.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#3 of 5 Old 07-11-2003, 09:58 PM

I use a homeopathic remedy called Serenol.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#4 of 5 Old 07-11-2003, 11:13 PM

I've used the homeopathic remedy Chamomilla. It worked better for me then the tea.

Where can you get Serenol?
#5 of 5 Old 07-12-2003, 12:18 AM
Banned

Beccaboo
we have the Valarian Supercalm and have used it durring crazy teething times when baby wouldnt sleep. I plan on using it for our cross country plane ride in a few months. Herbs For Kids has a great reputation for making effective and SAFE products for kids. If you are concerned about giving valarian to a baby they also make Camomile Calm. Its the same formulation minus the valarian.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page