Found a lump above breast...could it be cancer? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-18-2007, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know if anyone has any insight into this. But I just had a baby, am breastfeeding full-time, and tonight I found a large lump on my chest just above my (very large) right breast. It's like it just appeared overnight. Can cancerous lumps be found above the breast, or could it be pregnancy/post-partum/breastfeeding related?

It is about the diameter of a plum, doesn't hurt and doesn't seem to move around at all.
#2 of 6 Old 08-18-2007, 03:46 AM

It is most likely related to a clogged milk duct or something like that but I'd get a lactation consultant to take a look...they look at boobs all the time and would know if anything was out of place!

Please keep us informed as to what you find out! I am especially interested because a friend of mine was told by a LC that the lump in her breast was cancer, she had several mainstream docs tell her it wasn't (they wouldn't do a biopsy) and now she is really sick...

Good luck Mama! I'm sure it's fine!

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
#3 of 6 Old 08-18-2007, 01:07 PM

Gosh, that sounds big I would head to the doctors ASAP!
Even if its not cancer I would make sure you are not having some type of infection going on etc.
I am so sorry you are going through this after just having a baby.
Please keep us updated.

Quote:
CeciMami It is most likely related to a clogged milk duct or something like that but I'd get a lactation consultant to take a look...they look at boobs all the time and would know if anything was out of place!

Please keep us informed as to what you find out! I am especially interested because a friend of mine was told by a LC that the lump in her breast was cancer, she had several mainstream docs tell her it wasn't (they wouldn't do a biopsy) and now she is really sick...

Good luck Mama! I'm sure it's fine!
Whats wrong with your friend? That is awful.
#4 of 6 Old 08-18-2007, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your replies and concern. I have an appointment with my LC on Wednesday so it will be good to get her input.

Right now I have a virus that settled in my back and neck. I wonder if that could have anything to do with it. It seems pretty high up to be considered a breast lump, but maybe the breast tissues extend that high. Maybe it's swollen lymphs. Anyway, I'll get it checked out and let you know.

I'm so sorry about your friend. I hope they find out what's going on with her.
#5 of 6 Old 08-18-2007, 07:54 PM

I'm leaning toward a bf problem, like plugged duct BUT since you asked, yes breast cancer can happen "above" the breast and in the armpit. The glandular tissue extends far around where the traditional "booby" sticks out. Just FYI! But, to repeat myself, since you're newly nursing and probably dealing with milk overload, it's probably bf related. Keep an eye out for mastitis- that's horrible! LC should be a wealth of info.

Jen- married to best friend DH and mom to DS (8) , DD (5): 3 goldfish.gif, 3 chicken3.gif, and one great dog2.gif
#6 of 6 Old 08-19-2007, 05:54 AM

I'm glad you're going to have a LC look at it. In the meantime, I would treat it as a clogged duct--warm compresses, massage, etc. If it's not a clogged duct, those things shouldn't hurt. If it is a clogged duct, it may prevent you from getting mastitis (SOOO not fun!).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page